Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

I just read a story on ESPN that suggests Bell doesn't have to report at all this year for an accrued season as has been widely reported. He needs to report by the deadline if he wants to be eligible to play this year. This is so bizarre I hope there is a behind the scenes tell all about what really went down.

Bell just tweeted that he's laving Miami. The implication then is he's returning to Pittsburgh. So much for that wink/nod/handshake deal, eh?

As a Conner owner, this is exactly what I feared. It's why I moved Conner/Ebron for Howard/Kupp in one league, but it screws me in the league I kept Bell/Conner -- now neither will be usable starting in about 2 weeks...

I just read a story on ESPN that suggests Bell doesn't have to report at all this year for an accrued season as has been widely reported. He needs to report by the deadline if he wants to be eligible to play this year. This is so bizarre I hope there is a behind the scenes tell all about what really went down.

True and not true. The accrual of the extra year would count only toward the franchise tag next year. If he fails to show on time this year, the steelers can tag him with the exact amount again next year and start the dance again.

Bell said the Steelers told him they plan to place the transition tag on him this offseason, and a source confirmed to ESPN that the tag would be worth approximately $9 million to $10 million.

The transition tag would allow Bell to negotiate with other teams and allow the Steelers to match any offer. If the Steelers match, regardless of the offer, Bell would have to sign that deal with Pittsburgh.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25187177/leveon-bell-talked-steelers-unlikely-report-week

Just saw that on ESPN. Interesting take that Bell says the Steelers have said they are going to transition tag him. That actually benefits the Steelers because its increases their compensation if he signs elsewhere and they don't match.

i'm curious whether the team wants him to show up at this point.

although with injuries being so common i suspect they DO WANT him. but you gotta think there will be some drama at the start

Bell just tweeted that he's laving Miami. The implication then is he's returning to Pittsburgh. So much for that wink/nod/handshake deal, eh?

As a Conner owner, this is exactly what I feared. It's why I moved Conner/Ebron for Howard/Kupp in one league, but it screws me in the league I kept Bell/Conner -- now neither will be usable starting in about 2 weeks...

Other than having the depth, I find it hard to imagine they would want him to show up (although that is a big thing). They'd still owe him $6 million +, it would upset a very settled and united locker room, and the "James Harrison" scenario would have to be taken into account.

In thinking about it, the transition tag is a pretty fair way of handling this, and they probably should have looked at it this season. It would allow Bell to gauge his value, negotiate on the open market for the best contact he can, and still give the Steelers a chance to pay that price or earn compensation for his loss. He'll still be bitter that he lost a year of play and pay, and it will probably affect his value long term. But I also think it's clear that the Steelers don't really need him (although the possibilities of him and Conner keeping each other fresh and possibly being on the field at the same time are mind-boggling).

Just traded him for Tyler Boyd in a PPR. I love him but he's been sucking up a bench spot this year and luckily I have Conner.

I seriously wonder what he's up to - trying to force a trade?

Just traded him for Tyler Boyd in a PPR. I love him but he's been sucking up a bench spot this year and luckily I have Conner.

He can't be traded.

He can either sign his franchise tender or not. The Steelers can rescind the tender, at which point Bell is a free agent able to sign with any team in the league and the Steelers would not receive any compensation picks. So he will sign his tender.

What the Steelers do after that is still unclear. Probably they will get a 2 week exemption on his roster spot, and he'll be eligible to play starting week 12. But do they let him play? Or do they inactivate him and tell him to stay away? My guess is they have him in a 2-1 rotation with Conner, which kills both their values in FF.

If he actually plays a down hes the dumbest holdout guy ever.

What a fool, how long does he think he's going to be able to make $15 million a year or whatever it is?

He's costing himself money

This is new:

Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25187177/leveon-bell-talked-steelers-unlikely-report-week

Fock Bell. He has stopped entertaining. Who cares anymore?

All of us riding the Conner train to victory after victory.

• Like 2

This is new:

Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season.

Not new. I've mentioned it before. The only thing reporting this season does is increase the Franchise tag # next to 144% vs 120% this year...AND it could make him eligible for an extended 3rd year of franchise tag. The three year limit on Transition or Franchise my only apply if you play under it.

Whatever juice Bell had over his Steelers career has been usurped by Conner, who is on pace to outrush and outscore Bell in his best season. Conner is on pace for 1,412 yards rushing. Bell’s best was 1,361 in 2014. Conner has nine rushing touchdowns, 10 total. Bell’s high for an entire season was nine rushing touchdowns in 2017 and 11 total, twice.

Just read that. Bell isn't coming back, and if he does, it may just be to a backup role for Conner. Conner may not be quite as versatile as Bell, particularly in the passing game, but he's getting more yards on the ground, more TD's and more splash plays. Conner has something like 8 20+ yrd rushes this season which leads the league. Bell had 3 in 12 games last year. It would be beneficial for both parties for Bell to sign the franchise tag and sit on the bench behind Conner and maybe even Samuels and not touch the field while collecting his 855,000 game checks.

i'm struggling with whether that arrangement benefits the steelers. i guess the theory is that you're still a contender even if conner goes down. however it's difficult to measure if there will be a dropoff in morale if bell is suddenly in the lockerroom.

i just can't wrap my head around that. right now they have a good thing going. it is probably fun and uplifting to enter the lockerroom right now. is it still fun when you walk in and bam - there's leveon...???

Not new. I've mentioned it before. The only thing reporting this season does is increase the Franchise tag # next to 144% vs 120% this year...AND it could make him eligible for an extended 3rd year of franchise tag. The three year limit on Transition or Franchise my only apply if you play under it.

Just read that. Bell isn't coming back, and if he does, it may just be to a backup role for Conner. Conner may not be quite as versatile as Bell, particularly in the passing game, but he's getting more yards on the ground, more TD's and more splash plays. Conner has something like 8 20+ yrd rushes this season which leads the league. Bell had 3 in 12 games last year. It would be beneficial for both parties for Bell to sign the franchise tag and sit on the bench behind Conner and maybe even Samuels and not touch the field while collecting his 855,000 game checks.

Where did you read that Bell isn't coming back jg? I keep almost talking myself into trading Conner for Julio Jones but can't quite convince myself to do it.

Where did you read that Bell isn't coming back jg? I keep almost talking myself into trading Conner for Julio Jones but can't quite convince myself to do it.

there is a lot of chatter about him just sitting out the year.

the talk of the transition tag changes a lot, because it benefits both him and Steelers. If he really believes the Steelers are going to transition tag him then there is little impetus to play this year. He's not going to come back and be handed the starting job, he's not going to be happy being the backup, and the bottom line is he still doesn't want to get himself hurt knowing there's probably 4 yrs/60 million minimum out there with 30+ million guaranteed. he's been willing to give up 8.5 million so far not to get hurt, what's another 6 million? If the Steelers were floundering or Conner wasn't producing he would have lots of leverage, but that's simply not the case. He's lost all leverage and if health is the biggest concern, why play at all?

i'm struggling with whether that arrangement benefits the steelers. i guess the theory is that you're still a contender even if conner goes down. however it's difficult to measure if there will be a dropoff in morale if bell is suddenly in the lockerroom.

i just can't wrap my head around that. right now they have a good thing going. it is probably fun and uplifting to enter the lockerroom right now. is it still fun when you walk in and bam - there's leveon...???

I'm with you, i don't think it does. The Steelers players have rallied around Conner and clearly don't even want to talk about Bell. I have to suspect they are VERY wary of what happened with James Harrison last year before they let him go. He turned into a divisive force in the locker room, brought nothing but negativity. They have to be very keen not to let that happen again.

so, who is up next if conner goes down? samuels or ridley? i was assuming ridley, but checked the team depth chart on a whim and samuels is listed 2nd....

I'm with you, i don't think it does. The Steelers players have rallied around Conner and clearly don't even want to talk about Bell. I have to suspect they are VERY wary of what happened with James Harrison last year before they let him go. He turned into a divisive force in the locker room, brought nothing but negativity. They have to be very keen not to let that happen again.

so, who is up next if conner goes down? samuels or ridley? i was assuming ridley, but checked the team depth chart on a whim and samuels is listed 2nd....

I saw same thing. Samuels was actually talked about before season as having a skill set that more closely resembles Le'Veon Bell's, but that's before James Conner came in and lit fire. In the few snaps Conner has missed it has been Ridley that I've seen come in, but that was much earlier on.

there's your sneaky stash. i don't think anyone is on conner's backup partly because of bell.

can we really expect conner to last the entire season unscathed at the current pace?

I saw same thing. Samuels was actually talked about before season as having a skill set that more closely resembles Le'Veon Bell's, but that's before James Conner came in and lit fire. In the few snaps Conner has missed it has been Ridley that I've seen come in, but that was much earlier on.

Everyone is just guessing!

The point of this whole thread was to give everybody on FFtoday some insight on how to look at drafting Connor and how not to take for granted what a player is going to do During a hold out.

All the sports writers are a joke. They knew absolutely nothing and most of you listened to them!

If you read this when I first put it out in August, and you drafted Conner, you’re welcome! If you drafted well besides that pick you should be in the playoffs and have a good chance at winning it all just because of this pick.

Good luck!

Everyone is just guessing!

The point of this whole thread was to give everybody on FFtoday some insight on how to look at drafting Connor and how not to take for granted what a player is going to do During a hold out.

All the sports writers are a joke. They knew absolutely nothing and most of you listened to them!

If you read this when I first put it out in August, and you drafted Conner, you’re welcome! If you drafted well besides that pick you should be in the playoffs and have a good chance at winning it all just because of this pick.

Good luck!

Are you weepaws? Thank you. God bless. Thank you Jesus. Peter: 1-3-19 James: 3-14-12.

lol, anyone who thinks that Bell was smart at any point in this situation

dude just lost 15 mil he will never recoup

Yep. Agreed with this take since day 1.

Dont worry about connor...bell will have no impact on connors carries or workload.

Bell will be playing the role that switzer or whatever his name is. Spelling connor or playing in the slot.

If you read this when I first put it out in August, and you drafted Conner, you’re welcome!

I can't speak for others but what i "listened to" was Bell's behavior the year before...not what any pundits said. He skipped camp in 2017, reported late, and had a great year. It looked to most of us like it was going to be a case of rinse-and-repeat.

But I've been meaning to thank you publicly for your first post shaking me out of my complacency but to find a way to do it that wouldn't risk jinxing Connor (we posters are superstitious about turning cartwheels before the end zone is reached, etc) So since you brought it up, here's a cap-tip. I'm not a guy who usually cuffs my top RBs but in this case I had it taken care of by the 9th so that nobody could cut me on it.

I can't speak for others but what i "listened to" was Bell's behavior the year before...not what any pundits said. He skipped camp in 2017, reported late, and had a great year. It looked to most of us like it was going to be a case of rinse-and-repeat.

But I've been meaning to thank you publicly for your first post shaking me out of my complacency but to find a way to do it that wouldn't risk jinxing Connor (we posters are superstitious about turning cartwheels before the end zone is reached, etc) So since you brought it up, here's a cap-tip. I'm not a guy who usually cuffs my top RBs but in this case I had it taken care of by the 9th so that nobody could cut me on it.

Yeah, the topic was definitely a good one, if only to get people thinking.

I grabbed Conner in every league I play in, off waivers, and believe it or not i'm the top scorer in every one (not the best record, but tops in points) and a good chunk of it is Conner's output. Having an extra RB1 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Spotted in a Pittsburgh gym?

Is he lurking or what? Reminds me of hanging out at bars an Ex frequented just in case we may cross paths.

Isnt it obvious he is in Pittsburgh and planning to report before the deadline on the 13th (or whenever it is)?

For all the talk of secret handshake deals (what about Bell and the teams relationship makes one think this is likely) and what if options, showing up and technically playing his second franchise tag season is still the current option that puts him in the best position for the offseason.

As for the lockeroom....theyll kiss and make up. He makes them better, either as the starter, in a timeshare, or even as a backup.

He is in Pittsburg and appears to be here for the foreseeable future.

If he shows, the question will be if pittsburg puts the 2 week tag on him..

That pushes us to week 13 as a first game.

He is in Pittsburg and appears to be here for the foreseeable future.

If he shows, the question will be if pittsburg puts the 2 week tag on him..

That pushes us to week 13 as a first game.

This is what I've been saying to others. If Bell shows and they deactivate him for two weeks, he comes back just in time for the playoffs (fantasy) and makes it a cloudy situation at best for owners of either Bell or Conner.

I grabbed conner off waivers before the season began. Hoping to get to week 13 with him as an RB1. The only thing I am somewhat positive of, is that Bell cost himself a lot of money. I don't think he will get the amounts he's looking for next year as a FA. He shoulda showed up and played.

In any case, it is some entertaining drama for us Conner and Bell owners. Cuz, you know, life is too easy, we need to have that added weekly stress about losing an RB1 at any given time...…. :shocking:

Wow early Christmas present for Conner owners

Maybe save the champagne and party favors 'til Wed. And cross your fingers.

But if this is how it ends up shaking out, now I'm pissed that I flipped Conner a few weeks back -- already took a couple losses because of it.