Sign in to follow this  
lawman71

I decided to go "Zero RB" in one of my least expensive $$$ leagues. Drafted from the 6th.

Over the last 5 years or so, I have been a huge fan of going "zero RB" in many, if not all my leagues. Prior to yesterday, I have shied away from this practice. I did a friends and family draft, where the buy in was $100. At draft time, I decided I will reincarnate my practice for this draft. I drafted from the 6th spot. It is a 12 team PPR league where ALL TD are worth 6 pts (including passing) as well as .25 pts for QB completions. All other scoring is standard. Here is how my draft went...

1.06 Antonio Brown

2.07 Keenan Allen

3.06 Aaron Rodgers

4.07 Zach Ertz

5.06 Doug Baldwin (at this spot I considered going RB, but thought DB was value in the 5th)

6.07 Isaiah Crowell (pickings were slim as the load up on RB phenomena was in full force in this league)

7.06 Chris Carson

8.07 Peyton Barber

9.06 Jamison Crowder

10.07 Aaron Jones

11.06 Corey Clemment

12.07 Latavious Murray

13.06 Ravens Def/ST

14.07 Justin Tucker

15.06 Jordan Wilkins

16.07 John Conner

I know RB are weak, but I will always be ready to pounce on any value from the WW. Love to see or hear from other that went "zero RB." What did you end up with at RB?

Over the last 5 years or so, I have been a huge fan of going "zero RB" in many, if not all my leagues. Prior to yesterday, I have shied away from this practice. I did a friends and family draft, where the buy in was $100. At draft time, I decided I will reincarnate my practice for this draft. I drafted from the 6th spot. It is a 12 team PPR league where ALL TD are worth 6 pts (including passing) as well as .25 pts for QB completions. All other scoring is standard. Here is how my draft went...

1.06 Antonio Brown

2.07 Keenan Allen

3.06 Aaron Rodgers

4.07 Zach Ertz

5.06 Doug Baldwin (at this spot I considered going RB, but thought DB was value in the 5th)

6.07 Isaiah Crowell (pickings were slim as the load up on RB phenomena was in full force in this league)

7.06 Chris Carson

8.07 Peyton Barber

9.06 Jamison Crowder

10.07 Aaron Jones

11.06 Corey Clemment

12.07 Latavious Murray

13.06 Ravens Def/ST

14.07 Justin Tucker

15.06 Jordan Wilkins

16.07 John Conner

I know RB are weak, but I will always be ready to pounce on any value from the WW. Love to see or hear from other that went "zero RB." What did you end up with at RB?

Taking Baldwin in the 5th will be why your team doesn't win imo. Ertz also has some competition for targets this year. I am not understanding the trust with him as a 4th rounder.

I did zero Rb by accident only because the league reached on RBs hard. I passed on Barkley at the 7 spot for Hopkins and then didnt have a chance to draft a rb near their ADP until round 4 and 5 with Ajayi and Ingram. Got Dion Lewis in the 6th and then whiffed on alllll the latter round rbs like Carson, Mack, Barber. Ended up with a roster of quality back ups. My season will depend on a Kareem Hunt, LeVeon Bell, Jamaal Williams or Marshawn Lynch going down and me having the right call on the back up. It was a bad combo of technical difficulties, poor preparation, and a league wide never ending reach.

This is the year that everyone thinks they can get great WRs late so rbs are going to fly off the board. I have seen people starting their team with 4+ rbs..more than 1 team in a draft. It is wild.

This is the year that everyone thinks they can get great WRs late so rbs are going to fly off the board. I have seen people starting their team with 4+ rbs..more than 1 team in a draft. It is wild.

I'm okay with this if u sprinkle in either Gronk, Kelce, or jimmy Graham. After you commit it makes no sense to go WR.

Taking Baldwin in the 5th will be why your team doesn't win imo. Ertz also has some competition for targets this year. I am not understanding the trust with him as a 4th rounder.

I thought about going RB there, but the value of grabbing a potential 2nd round talent in the 5th was too enticing. Baldwin at 85% was better value than any other position I could have drafted there. Not sure where Ertz's competition is coming from. Alshon already out at least the first two weeks and Goedert , will get his looks, but no more than Burton saw last year.

I also took Brown at 6 got a top QB and TE, but i went after RBs

1.06 Brown

2.07 D Freeman

3.06 Kelce

4.07 L Miller

5.06 Hyde

6.07 Brady

There are so many good WR you can get your WR2 late. One of Garcon, K Cole, Godwin (TB) will stick (i hope). I only start 2 WR, maybe if starting 3 I would feel more pressured to grab a second good one

I also took Brown at 6 got a top QB and TE, but i went after RBs

1.06 Brown

2.07 D Freeman

3.06 Kelce

4.07 L Miller

5.06 Hyde

6.07 Brady

There are so many good WR you can get your WR2 late. One of Garcon, K Cole, Godwin (TB) will stick (i hope). I only start 2 WR, maybe if starting 3 I would feel more pressured to grab a second good one

I agree. I have a 12 team PPR $500 buy in draft on Wed. I have the 7th pick in that one and I am contemplating going WR/WR and grabbing a RB in the 3rd round. We start 3 WR and 2RB and NO flex in this league.

Unfortunately, an owner simply can't compete without competent RB's......unless he has an extreme stroke of luck and hits on a couple of flyers, or the injury bug strikes the right players.

I agree. I have a 12 team PPR $500 buy in draft on Wed. I have the 7th pick in that one and I am contemplating going WR/WR and grabbing a RB in the 3rd round. We start 3 WR and 2RB and NO flex in this league.

That one i posted is PPR but e have 2 flex and start 2 WR (600 buy in). I will have another draft $200 standard scoring and again only 2 WR start.

I do think Baldwin for your setup was a good value. He is becoming undervalued with the latest reports, he went at 4.12 in my draft.

Yeah, John Conner eh? Good that you were able to get him before the terminator did.....

James Conner btw

Yes, Your first three picks were handed to you and they were obvious choices in a touchdown heavy league. It appears to me there are a bunch of goofballs in your league because Aaron Rodgers going in the third round when touchdowns are worth six points is nonsense.

So, yes, good job on your first 3 choices.....after that your team is in shambles

I know RB are weak, but I will always be ready to pounce on any value from the WW.

I don't doubt that you will be ready but after the first round of WW pick ups, won't all RBs and their backups be rostered? They usually are in my.league. Then, when injuries start to roll in at the RB position, the whole league is all over the next up guy. If Penny overtakes Carson, and Crowell gets hurt, uh oh...

I drafted 6 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 QBs, 2TEs, and 1 Def. And in week one waivers, I'm going in the bidding for 2 more RBs, along with another WR and possibly a QB I want for a week 1 streamer.

Yeah, John Conner eh? Good that you were able to get him before the terminator did.....

James Conner btw

Yes, Your first three picks were handed to you and they were obvious choices in a touchdown heavy league. It appears to me there are a bunch of goofballs in your league because Aaron Rodgers going in the third round when touchdowns are worth six points is nonsense.

So, yes, good job on your first 3 choices.....after that your team is in shambles

Rodgers went in the 4th of my 6 point pass td league. I wasn't touching him there because I feel there are values to be had later who will score close to Rodgers.

Unfortunately, an owner simply can't compete without competent RB's......unless he has an extreme stroke of luck and hits on a couple of flyers, or the injury bug strikes the right players.

Agree, so to the OP.. why put yourself at such of a disadvantage before the season even begins.

I love how people act like taking a player a round early is unthinkable. I couldn't draft a rb because his adp said he should go a pick later blah blah blah blah blah. Like the guy they took is a guaranteed thing

If I really like someone, that's where i aim for them. Heck even 2 rds ahead. ADP is just an advisory tool for me. It comes down to can they outperform where they are drafted and what the other options are.

1.06 Antonio Brown

2.07 Keenan Allen

3.06 Aaron Rodgers

4.07 Zach Ertz

7.06 Chris Carson

8.07 Peyton Barber

9.06 Jamison Crowder

10.07 Aaron Jones

11.06 Corey Clemment

12.07 Latavious Murray

13.06 Ravens Def/ST

14.07 Justin Tucker

15.06 Jordan Wilkins

16.07 John Conner

Carson and Barber may only be good to you for 3 or 4 games. When Cook gets up to speed he will dominate touches, I like the A.Jones pic for a chance

Rodgers went in the 4th of my 6 point pass td league. I wasn't touching him there because I feel there are values to be had later who will score close to Rodgers.

There is a reason why so many leagues don’t give quarterbacks six points for a passing touchdown.

But when a league does have that, you should get the best quarterback and it should be the most important player in your draft along with running back’s. In these types of leagues I always see wide receivers and tight ends at lower value.

I don’t really have the time to prove it in math equation but it’s pretty obvious.

In my mocks I been toying with going very RB heavy, three in the first 4 rounds and I like how my team looks. Only have to start two WR.

Ouch.

But Aaron Jones could end up taking over the Packers backfield when he's back from suspension.

In my mocks I been toying with going very RB heavy, three in the first 4 rounds and I like how my team looks. Only have to start two WR.

Go RB early, middle, and late. Get one very good WR in the 3rd and the next in the 6th. Done. Get the rest of what you need later. If you hit on more than 3 RBs, save until critical times and trade or fill them in for injuries.

Like others, I love the first 3 picks given the format. I think Ertz was a luxury pick, and while I cant deny that seems like a good price for Baldwin, I think its risky to draft into injury at a position youre counting on to make up for the lack of RB points.

I agree with most of the posts here. This was one of my cheapest buy in leagues and decided I would go with zero RB strategy, that has been so lucrative for me in the past. My RB are crap and I wont debate that. Although, I am looking at the first four pick in our scoring system and hoping they can keep me in games...perhaps even pulling out some wins for me.

There is a reason why so many leagues dont give quarterbacks six points for a passing touchdown.

But when a league does have that, you should get the best quarterback and it should be the most important player in your draft along with running backs. In these types of leagues I always see wide receivers and tight ends at lower value.

I dont really have the time to prove it in math equation but its pretty obvious.

I agree it's important, but if I can find a guy who produces close to Rodgers 4 rounds later, the skill position guys I drafted could make the difference

I agree it's important, but if I can find a guy who produces close to Rodgers 4 rounds later, the skill position guys I drafted could make the difference

Drive to house, grab Phillip rivers in front of his wife and kids.

Drive to house, grab Phillip rivers in front of his wife and kids.

I was thinking Jimmy, Mahomes, Goff or Trubs. I like them all this year for their draft position. There are so many damn qbs this year.

Also funny you mention this, I was offered Rivers for a 2nd rounder in my dynasty recently. My qbs are Trubisky and Goff. I like my qbs enough this year.

I was thinking Jimmy, Mahomes, Goff or Trubs. I like them all this year for their draft position. There are so many damn qbs this year.

Also funny you mention this, I was offered Rivers for a 2nd rounder in my dynasty recently. My qbs are Trubisky and Goff. I like my qbs enough this year.

I picked up Rivers during our dynasty draft. I had 1st overall, two twos and two threes. Brees, Jameis at QB. Took Rosen in 2nd and snatched Rivers when he was offered for my final third as insurance. Stream city.

Alot forget your not only drafting a RB, your making those who dont stuck with shared carries and back-ups. You meanwhile can get starters all the way to the end.