Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Some are calling Le'Veon Bell a genius.

I think if they could have come to a long term deal they would have done so before the deadline. I think at this point neither side is interested in that. I think at this point it is just when he signs the tender offer. Week 2 or 11. This will put a big wrinkle in their season either way.

The Steelers were negotiating in bad faith before the deadline. The fact that their long term offer had less guaranteed money than the franchise tag is indisputable proof of that in my opinion. I believe The Steelers did this because they knew he would give in and show up before week 1. Basically they used his being a great teammate last season against him, because if he had held out a few weeks last year they dont try it again this year.

But if the franchise (which many believe has a 2 year championship window) now believes Bell may sit out (thus costing them that window), they may be more motivated to make a deal in good faith now.

Im not predicting it, and it would take some backroom funny stuff, but it makes logical sense to me in terms of everyone getting what they want.

Though I saw some rumours (Rappaport maybe) saying he is expected to report today. While he wouldnt be ready to play to tomorrow, he wouldnt miss a game check, so there is some logic in the thought.

Best for both sides to walk after this season. The Steelers know they'll have to over-pay to keep him and Bell knows the Steelers couldn't care less about what happens to him in 2019 and beyond.

Is the 14.5 million tag standard NFL money ?

Who decides on the money yeartk year

Is the 14.5 million tag standard NFL money ?

Who decides on the money yeartk year

Only if you get franchise tagged twice.

Also, he can't get tagged a third time.

Only if you get franchise tagged twice.

Also, he can't get tagged a third time.

Incorrect, as that rule apparently changed. They can tag him a 3rd time next season. He would make about $20m.

And at this point, you obviously have to assume theyd do it if he shows no drop off this year. So once again he wouldnt be able to get his long term deal.

If Bell accepts this FT, he will have made $27m the last 2 years.. If FT again next tear, add another $20m to that... So $47m over 3 years, in the bank - damn I wish someone would disrespect me like that.

Plus let's not forget, Pitt did over to make Bell the highest paid RB in the league with a $70m deal, $33m guaranteed - he turned it down.

Pitt doesn't owe him or anyone else an apology.

• Like 1

If Bell accepts this FT, he will have made $27m the last 2 years.. If FT again next tear, add another $20m to that... So $47m over 3 years, in the bank - damn I wish someone would disrespect me like that.

Plus let's not forget, Pitt did over to make Bell the highest paid RB in the league with a $70m deal, $33m guaranteed - he turned it down.

Pitt doesn't owe him or anyone else an apology.

$33M guaranteed? I read it was only $10M guaranteed.

The story does say supposedly, so there is that.. But I doubt CBS goes on record if not sure of the story.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

It sounds like that was spin to make Bell look bad. Like if they kept him in year 2, more became guaranteed, then more became guaranteed after a certain date in year 3 for example.

This article, which was a week or so after yours, dives in and clarifies that only $10m was fully guaranteed.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

And David Johnson, whose older than Bell, just got $30M guaranteed. Steelers offered $10m.

so buy a team and overspend

Leveon has had the opportunity to get 26 mil guaranteed the last 2 seasons, and if he was here right now I guarantee next year someone would offer him at least 8 mil guaranteed

so buy a team and overspend

Leveon has had the opportunity to get 26 mil guaranteed the last 2 seasons, and if he was here right now I guarantee next year someone would offer him at least 8 mil guaranteed

Yeah, but it would only be $27m over the last 3 seasons since you are going into the past. The average is even lower if we include the last 4 seasons.

Yeah, but it would only be $27m over the last 3 seasons since you are going into the past. The average is even lower if we include the last 4 seasons.

I think these millionaire blacks who's backs you always have appreciate you very much. You're a stalwart for their cause.

Never give up, you are a true hero of the black and kinda black millionaire community.

ok so take that out of the picture

he gets 14.5 mil guar this year, he plays and realistically he gets a 2 year 26 mil with 10-15 guar next year

or he doesn't play and loses more money

I think these millionaire blacks who's backs you always have appreciate you very much. You're a stalwart for their cause.

Never give up, you are a true hero of the black and kinda black millionaire community.

Huh? This is about his being black to you? I guess I shouldnt be surprised anymore, yet here we are.

here is the bottom line, I am all about players getting as much as they can

however I am not going to feel bad if a team doesn't want to pay him when the franchise tag pays him twice as much as ANY other RB in the league besides Mckinnon (stupid) and Mccoy

Leveon thinks he should be getting 17 mil and at least 14 mil guaranteed annually, why would the Steelers or any franchise pay that for a RB

They can sign Carlos Hyde, or draft one of the 10 RB's next year and be just fine

Why pay Leveon when Ben is gone soon

• Like 1

ok so take that out of the picture

he gets 14.5 mil guar this year, he plays and realistically he gets a 2 year 26 mil with 10-15 guar next year

or he doesn't play and loses more money

Its a fair argument. If he misses 10 games now, thats another $10m he has to get in guarantees, and he will be a year older trying to get it. I could easily see it not working out for him.

But I also suspect had he shown up last week, The Steelers would have given him another 400 touches. And I could easily see that amount of wear and tear scaring teams to such a point that it costs him more than $10m in guarantees.

Both approaches have risks. But Im putting myself in his shoes and trying to determine how Id feel. Id want security. And Id feel like last year I did everything 100% on their terms with the belief theyd make a deal with me this year. They didnt even attempt to, so Id not feel like doing it 100% on their terms again. But maybe this type of thinking is why Ill never be rich.

And David Johnson, whose older than Bell, just got $30M guaranteed. Steelers offered $10m.

You could argue there's a reason Pitt is a perennial playoff contender, year in and year out.......and Zona is not.

One of their front offices knows what they're doing, the other - not so much.

• Like 1

The Steelers were negotiating in bad faith before the deadline. The fact that their long term offer had less guaranteed money than the franchise tag is indisputable proof of that in my opinion. I believe The Steelers did this because they knew he would give in and show up before week 1. Basically they used his being a great teammate last season against him, because if he had held out a few weeks last year they dont try it again this year.

At his age every year is a gamble. From what I read he was guaranteed $33M which comes over the first two years. Year 3 on is a crap shoot at his age. He could go back to the weed, become injured or just go into the normal decline. I agree if he thinks holding out is in his best interest he should do that. PIT needs to look at what they think having him is worth and do that. If they can not come together then so be it. I just think the week ten thing is BS but that is the rule. Either the team is fine and will win the division or they stumbled bad and his help is useless. If the latter happens and the teammates blame Bell for part of that, he may not want to be there. He pretty much has to sign week 10 or repeat all this next year.

You could argue there's a reason Pitt is a perennial playoff contender, year in and year out.......and Zona is not.

I agree with this also. I guess I should clarify my stance. I have no real problem with the Steelers not wanting to commit Gurley money to him long term. I wouldnt do it.

But I do think the following....after doing this same dance last season, not coming to a deal, Bell deciding to think team first and showing up for 16 games anyway and logging the second most touches by any player this decade....I think the right/decent thing for the Steelers to do was to come to terms on a long term deal or let the guy become a free agent.

But if we want to support the Steelers in not doing the right/decent thing and instead using the CBA to their full advantage.....then we should also understand Bell having extremely hurt feelings, especially after his actions last year, and we should support his decision to use the CBA to his full advantage.

Bell should stick to his guns and just walk away. Who needs 'em (Steelers or NFL) anyway.

At his age every year is a gamble. From what I read he was guaranteed $33M which comes over the first two years. Year 3 on is a crap shoot at his age. He could go back to the weed, become injured or just go into the normal decline. I agree if he thinks holding out is in his best interest he should do that. PIT needs to look at what they think having him is worth and do that. If they can not come together then so be it. I just think the week ten thing is BS but that is the rule. Either the team is fine and will win the division or they stumbled bad and his help is useless. If the latter happens and the teammates blame Bell for part of that, he may not want to be there. He pretty much has to sign week 10 or repeat all this next year.

I linked a story above, but only $10m was guaranteed when he would have signed.

Later, over the course of the 5 years, other guarantees would kick in that would eventually add up to $30m. I havent seen the specifics, but an example could be a bonus of $10m if he isnt cut by June 1, 2019. Maybe another $10m bonus if not cut before June 1, 2020.

And thats how they trick you and make Bell sound bad. Technically it was a 5 year deal with $30m in guarantees. But the reality is they can give him another 400 touches and cut him, and pay less money than they will have to pay if he shows up in week 6.

No reason to argue. Lol.

Very good statement. This is a Steler-Bell issue not a Cardinal issue.

as far as the original title

I dont think anyone is calling him a genius

That was in the original title/link i clicked/read. It was on there somewhere.

Conner time just like I said. None of you could be GMs youd be in cap trouble in two years.

Everyone wanting to give this guy money on past production is ridiculous. You pay someone for what you think they will do not what theyve done.

Title thread change to Colbert is a genius.

I dont think Bell is hoping Conner sucks or the Steelers suck. There is nothing to gain, as no matter how desperate Pit could get, they cant offer him more money.

Bell simply cares about getting to free agency healthy. In actuality, Conner doing well could help that, as when Bell comes back, maybe they somewhat split touches.

• Like 1

Conner time just like I said. None of you could be GMs youd be in cap trouble in two years.

Everyone wanting to give this guy money on past production is ridiculous. You pay someone for what you think they will do not what theyve done.

Title thread change to Colbert is a genius.

I could be easily. I wouldn't have paid Bell as much as I understand his position.

• Like 1

That's lying with statistics. DJ is a few months older but only has a year and change of NFL wear and tear, plus coming off of a season of rest and training, plus he is such a model player that he probably rescues puppies in his spare time. Bell has 4+ years of NFL wear and is a knucklehead.

I think this is where you tell me something like "so you are saying I am correct," amirite? :dunno:

• Like 1

I think he should just let Connor continue to show that Bell might not be all that special....

That's lying with statistics. DJ is a few months older but only has a year and change of NFL wear and tear, plus coming off of a season of rest and training, plus he is such a model player that he probably rescues puppies in his spare time. Bell has 4+ years of NFL wear and is a knucklehead.

I think this is where you tell me something like "so you are saying I am correct," amirite? :dunno:

No, I think you pretty much nailed what I was going for with that particular post. :thumbsup:

No, I think you pretty much nailed what I was going for with that particular post. :thumbsup:

That is not what you were going for, by any rational interpretation of the English language. :thumbsup:

That is not what you were going for, by any rational interpretation of the English language. :thumbsup:

No, I meant I was indeed intending to lie with statistics.

I usually side with football players when it comes to getting paid. They take a beating. But Bell did this to himself. He made giving him a guaranteed contract extremely risky, and now it's costing him. And I would bet he's getting high again.

I usually side with football players when it comes to getting paid. They take a beating. But Bell did this to himself. He made giving him a guaranteed contract extremely risky, and now it's costing him. And I would bet he's getting high again.

He likely thought that the Steelers would suffer without him, and be desperate to get him back, other teams would try to trade for him....not now LOL