Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Some are calling Le'Veon Bell a genius.

So, Le'Veon set 14.5 million dollars on fire and signed a contract for less..

Solid work. 

:doh:

Exactly what most of us figured would happen, gotta wonder who is advising these dipsh!ts... Him playing for this perennial bottom dweller should work out swimmingly..  2 years from now the Jets will be looking to unload this dude.

19 minutes ago, Reality said:

So, Le'Veon set 14.5 million dollars on fire and signed a contract for less..

Solid work. 

:doh:

Exactly what most of us figured would happen, gotta wonder who is advising these dipsh!ts... Him playing for this perennial bottom dweller should work out swimmingly..  2 years from now the Jets will be looking to unload this dude.

Your math is strange. Are you going by average? Of course his 1 year franchise tag averaged more than a long term deal 

The relevant numbers are: He skipped the $14m guaranteed and instead got $36m guaranteed. So basically, would he have gotten $22m guaranteed had he played last year? No other RB has even sniffed that I don’t think, but it’s up for debate. 

6 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Your math is strange. Are you going by average? Of course his 1 year franchise tag averaged more than a long term deal 

The relevant numbers are: He skipped the $14m guaranteed and instead got $36m guaranteed. So basically, would he have gotten $22m guaranteed had he played last year? No other RB has even sniffed that I don’t think, but it’s up for debate. 

Yup.  The franchise tag averages the top 5 players at the position so of course it's going to be a nice payday.  For ONE year.  Players want a little more security than that in the event of a career ending injury, especially at positions like RB.  The Steelers were franchising Bell every year and giving him 400 touches, including catches.  They were basically going to use him up for 5-6 years and then just dump him.  Good for him telling them to F off.

And, to be clear about the value of this deal,

" The deal includes $35 million guaranteed, with a maximum value of close to $61 million, including incentives, a source said. "

So, theoretically he could earn 15+ per year if he's as ageless as AP

4 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

The 14.5 and the year he missed is gone and he will never ever be able to make it up.  There is no making it up this year with guaranteed money, it vanished into thin air.

And this is why the Jets are.............................................................................the Jets. :doh:

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

The 14.5 and the year he missed is gone and he will never ever be able to make it up.  There is no making it up this year with guaranteed money, it vanished into thin air.

Not necessarily.  He saved a year of wear and tear on his body.  We will never know but he may have extended his career by taking a year off.  There are numerous examples of players taking time off and actually coming back as good or better than they were before the time off, and playing a good number of years after the time off.  It's very possible for a vocation such as pro football that taking time off partway through your career may allow the body to rejuvenate and extend your career.

Just now, Strike said:

Not necessarily.  He saved a year of wear and tear on his body.  We will never know but he may have extended his career by taking a year off.  There are numerous examples of players taking time off and actually coming back as good or better than they were before the time off, and playing a good number of years after the time off.  It's very possible for a vocation such as pro football that taking time off partway through your career may allow the body to rejuvenate and extend your career.

I'd agree with this take if he played any other position, he's done by 30.  That money is gone and will never be recouped.

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

I'd agree with this take if he played any other position, he's done by 30.  That money is gone and will never be recouped.

We'll see in a few years then.  AP is still going.

13 minutes ago, Reality said:

Particularly at RB, it’s all about the guaranteed money. If he gets his $14.5 last year, he needs $21m guaranteed on this deal to equal the $35m he got. The only RBs on non rookie deals with $21m+ in guarantees are Gurley, DJ, and Freeman:

I assume we can mostly all agree on the following:

Had Bell played last year under the franchise tag, he was getting another 400 touches...or at least he was getting 25 touches a game until he got hurt.

If he gets through the season and shows zero drop off, he gets more than $21m guaranteed.

If he shows any drop off, he doesnt get anything approaching the $21m guaranteed he needs to break even. If he gets injured, he may not get much of anything at all guaranteed. 

I get that people think he should have bet on himself, but I think he just felt in principle that Pit shouldn’t be able to use him like that. He would have been bitter all season, and if he gets hurt, he may have been bitter about it for the rest of his life. Maybe he loses a little by going the route he did, but he risked less than he would have by playing, both in terms of dollars and in terms of peace of mind for the rest of his life. Basically, he played it the way I believe I’d have wanted to play it (although letting down my teammates may have kept me from doing so).

27 minutes ago, Strike said:

We'll see in a few years then.  AP is still going.

i am no big fan of A(sswipe)P, but, i'll give him this ... dude works harder than anyone in the game at keeping in peak physical condition (aided by PEDs or not is another story) -

Bell is a ganja toking psuedo rapper whose dedication and heart are dodgy, at best. 

also note that he averaged less than 5 yds per TOUCH (not CARRY, but TOUCH) his last full season ... and that was with a HoF qb and the greatest wr of this era to take the pressure off ... not to mention a stout o-line - so, yeah, hard to imagine him lighting it up here in the swamp - his 400 touches will prolly yield 1,600 total yds.  do the math. 

he's outta the league by the start of the 2020 season.  

29 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

i am no big fan of A(sswipe)P, but, i'll give him this ... dude works harder than anyone in the game at keeping in peak physical condition (aided by PEDs or not is another story) -

Bell is a ganja toking psuedo rapper whose dedication and heart are dodgy, at best. 

also note that he averaged less than 5 yds per TOUCH (not CARRY, but TOUCH) his last full season ... and that was with a HoF qb and the greatest wr of this era to take the pressure off ... not to mention a stout o-line - so, yeah, hard to imagine him lighting it up here in the swamp - his 400 touches will prolly yield 1,600 total yds.  do the math. 

he's outta the league by the start of the 2020 season.  

Ricky Williams retired and returned for a long productive stint well in to his 30's.  AP isn't the only example.   And the guaranteed money in this contract pretty much guarantees he's playing in the 2020 season.

THis aint the NBA, expect the slave owners to change the CBA in a couple years

17 minutes ago, Strike said:

Ricky Williams retired and returned for a long productive stint well in to his 30's.  AP isn't the only example.   And the guaranteed money in this contract pretty much guarantees he's playing in the 2020 season.

Ricky was also a gym rat/workout beast when he wasn't taking the pot ... Bell isn't/never was/never will be the physical freak both of the others were.  

as far as outta the league by 2020, i think it'll be disciplinary.  this kid's a major fockin' numb nutz. 

Ricky Williams really looked good this past season of Big Brother.

All that money he made really did wonders.

The pot probably elongates his career. Pain pills would lead to more wear and tear on the body, no doubt. I bet Frank Gore smokes tons of pot. 

Bell has a very limited number of years left in the league, he decided to not get paid one of those years.  That year is gone, he made zero dollars that year.  There is no amount of discussion that changes that fact.

1 minute ago, Reality said:

Bell has a very limited number of years left in the league, he decided to not get paid one of those years.  That year is gone, he made zero dollars that year.  There is no amount of discussion that changes that fact.

yep

11 minutes ago, Reality said:

That may not matter to him... Maybe he wants to play two more years... Doesn't really matter quite as much if last year this year or this year next year in that case.

All he wanted was the guaranteed money. He can now take it easy. Watch out in rnd 1, he’s a risk. He could catch 80+ in that offense though.

3 minutes ago, kutulu said:

That may not matter to him... Maybe he wants to play two more years... Doesn't really matter quite as much if last year this year or this year next year in that case.

still pissed away 14 million, and he could have only played in 6 games to make it.

could have signed the tender and then faked an injury

he's dum

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

All he wanted was the guaranteed money. He can now take it easy. Watch out in rnd 1, he’s a risk. He could catch 80+ in that offense though.

A ton of people got burned by him last year. Those nitwits that draft in July and August :lol:

15 minutes ago, Reality said:

Sure, you stated a fact. It can’t be argued against.

Of course, he probably made himself a lot more money overall by not being paid last season....which is what I had assumed the discussion was about. 

1 minute ago, cbfalcon said:

Sure, you stated a fact. It can’t be argued against.

Of course, he probably made himself a lot more money overall by not being paid last season....which is what I had assumed the discussion was about. 

There was a 2 million dollar difference in guaranteed money and he gave away 14.5 million last year.  I'm not sure how you get there.

:dunno:

NFL Network reported the contract Pittsburgh offered included $33 million guaranteed in the first two years and a value of $45 million over the first three years (not all guaranteed).

It is what it is man, he gave away 14.5 million dollars that he will never, ever, never ever, ever ever..  Ever ever....  Ever, get back, it was a bad decision on his part.

3 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

29 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

We already covered this, but that was spin. Only $10m was guaranteed. Pit would (in the opinion of many) have given him 400 touches and then cut him. If he was going to play last year, the only move was to play for the $14.5m. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

45 minutes ago, Reality said:

There was a 2 million dollar difference in guaranteed money and he gave away 14.5 million last year.  I'm not sure how you get there.

It is what it is man, he gave away 14.5 million dollars that he will never, ever, never ever, ever ever..  Ever ever....  Ever, get back, it was a bad decision on his part.

Yes, if Pit had decided to keep him for years 2 and 3 at $35m, that paid more. But only $10m was guaranteed. The rest is spin. 

Everything I see says 33 million guaranteed, I'll stick with my numbers.

Bad move giving away 14.5 million dollars.  

Also, It's hard to take your link seriously..

The Steelers’ offer, with the potential of $33 million over the first two years of the year, was only about a million dollars more than what he’d make if he got tagged this year and next.

He gambled on himself and lost. He thought that he could make up the 14 mil in guarantees and annual from a new deal but he didn’t. He’s still set for,life, he won’t go hungry, but he did cost himself a lot of money and sitting out was a bonehead move.

12 minutes ago, Reality said:

Everything I see says 33 million guaranteed, I'll stick with my numbers.

Bad move giving away 14.5 million dollars.  

Also, It's hard to take your link seriously..

Yeah, $33m. 

$10m when he signs. Then another bonus of $10-12m if he is on the roster June 1st, 2019....and another bonus of $10-12m if he is on the roster June 1st, 2020. So your numbers are correct, but the “guaranteed” part isn’t really true. See Ian Rapaport below. 

1 minute ago, cbfalcon said:

Yeah, $33m. 

$10m when he signs. Then another bonus of $10-12m if he is on the roster June 1st, 2019....and another bonus of $10-12m if he is on the roster June 1st, 2020. So your numbers are correct, but the “guaranteed” part isn’t really true. See Ian Rapaport below. 

Yup, that's how it works.  

4 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

He gambled on himself and lost. He thought that he could make up the 14 mil in guarantees and annual from a new deal but he didn’t. He’s still set for,life, he won’t go hungry, but he did cost himself a lot of money and sitting out was a bonehead move.

Yup.

Differences of opinion are fine, but if anyone thinks he was guaranteed $33m if he signed that 5 year deal, then that person is using incorrect information to confirm their beliefs. Thus there isn’t any reason to debate the topic further. 

Differences of opinion are fine, but if anyone thinks he was guaranteed $10m if he signed that 5 year deal, then that person is using incorrect information to confirm their beliefs. Thus there isn’t any reason to debate the topic further. 

12 minutes ago, Reality said:

Differences of opinion are fine, but if anyone thinks he was guaranteed $10m if he signed that 5 year deal, then that person is using incorrect information to confirm their beliefs. Thus there isn’t any reason to debate the topic further. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/18/steelers-made-leveon-bell-an-offer-he-couldnt-accept/

Not only did they offer a ridiculous contract, the leaked misleading information about it to make him look bad.  Can't blame him for telling them to fock off regardless of how things turn out for him with the Jets. 

091718-leveon-bell-primary-1200x630.jpg

Net outcome, he gave up $14million, unless he was injured he was always going to get this money, and he might have even cost himself some money.

Bell just got $35m guaranteed from the Jets vs the $14m base salary the Steelers would have paid lass season and the $10m guaranteed they offered him in a new contract. Looks like he’s up around $10m in guaranteed money for taking a yearlong vacation and avoiding the risk of wearing himself down without a long term deal.

Seems like Bell won here and Pittsburgh lost, bigly.

19 hours ago, tanatastic said:

He just wanted a year off to smoke weed 

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Bell just got $35m guaranteed from the Jets vs the $14m base salary the Steelers would have paid lass season and the $10m guaranteed they offered him in a new contract. Looks like he’s up around $10m in guaranteed money for taking a yearlong vacation and avoiding the risk of wearing himself down without a long term deal.

Seems like Bell won here and Pittsburgh lost, bigly.

Unless you factor in the fact that he has to play for the Jets