Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Bills' Josh Allen replaces Nathan Peterman at QB

Bills are gonna bill (hence my avatar). F that team. How do they go from making the playoffs last year to this?

Bills are gonna bill (hence my avatar). F that team. How do they go from making the playoffs last year to this?

That was an utter abortion of football today. As a Bills fan (aka masochist) the extra stomp on my nutsack was the fact that my opponent has BAL defense. :cry:

• Like 1

That was an utter abortion of football today. As a Bills fan (aka masochist) the extra stomp on my nutsack was the fact that my opponent has BAL defense. :cry:

I confidently started the Ravens DST as well knowing it was likely the Bills would sh1t the bed...

Yikes. The Bills have been rebuilding for about 25 years now. Last good QB was Jim Kelly. Holy crap. Its one game and the ravens are good but geezus. They dont have good players. McCoy is OK but on the downside of his career. No WRs that scare anybody. Clay is a good pass catcher but he isnt the second coming of Antonio Gates or anything. Offensive line is offensive all right.

They would be foolish to not start Allen at this point. Its clear that they arent going anywhere so let the kid play and learn. Peterman is NOT the future so why start him? There is no playoff run.... none at all.

I don't know what the answer is... some like the idea to "sit and learn" for rookie QBs, but the Bills have built a terrible an environment to do that by getting rid of any veteran leadership at the QB position... more like "sit and learn what not to do" with watching Peterman.... might as well start Allen from here on out, or trade for a Journeyman vet to take over for a year (probably too late now)

Yikes. The Bills have been rebuilding for about 25 years now. Last good QB was Jim Kelly.

Last *great* QB was Kelly. Bills had two years of Flutie and four years of the Amish Rifle. Didn't Bledsoe have a good year in there somewhere? 2002.

And let's not forget two years of JP Losman! (But seriously, Flutie, Fitz, and Bledsoe did some good stuff up there.)

The Bills get good players, but they're a talent black hole. Either the good players don't play well when they're there, or they play well enough to leave and go somewhere else. As a Packers fan through the 80s, I know what that's like. Up until two yeas ago, the Bills had Goodwin and Robert Woods--two guys doing really well for their current teams. Hogan the year before that. None of them did anything of note until they left. The last time I remember a non-QB playing really well for his tenure as a Bill was Fred Jackson.

CJ Spiller

Stevie Johnson

Lynch

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

JP losman

Willis McGahee

Eric Moulds

Most names probably making you feel sick if you are a bills fan or owned them during bills years of fantasy.

CJ Spiller

Stevie Johnson

Lynch

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

JP losman

Willis McGahee

Eric Moulds

Most names probably making you feel sick if you are a bills fan or owned them during bills years of fantasy.

Yeah. That's a list.

Although...I'd have to go back and look. I'm under the impression that Price's only good years were with the Bills. Didn't he take a big contract someone else to be the #1 and it didn't pan out?

Yeah. That's a list.

Although...I'd have to go back and look. I'm under the impression that Price's only good years were with the Bills. Didn't he take a big contract someone else to be the #1 and it didn't pan out?

Think he went to Atlanta and fell flat on his face there.

Last *great* QB was Kelly. Bills had two years of Flutie and four years of the Amish Rifle. Didn't Bledsoe have a good year in there somewhere? 2002.

And let's not forget two years of JP Losman! (But seriously, Flutie, Fitz, and Bledsoe did some good stuff up there.)

The Bills get good players, but they're a talent black hole. Either the good players don't play well when they're there, or they play well enough to leave and go somewhere else. As a Packers fan through the 80s, I know what that's like. Up until two yeas ago, the Bills had Goodwin and Robert Woods--two guys doing really well for their current teams. Hogan the year before that. None of them did anything of note until they left. The last time I remember a non-QB playing really well for his tenure as a Bill was Fred Jackson.

Coaching inconsistency. We keep signing retread guys with mediocre success in the league (on better teams than Buffalo) expecting them to turn us around.

Bills really need to just Moneyball the out of this team and just do something unconventional under a young coach. Emmanuel and Tyrod weren't great but they could do worse, and now they have done just that.

They're also highly undesirable in the FA market. When they try to re-sign players, they bail. So when people suggest "oh just sign so and so journeyman QB in free agency" good freakin' luck. Buffalo is like the last final stop for any player, nobody wants to play there unless they're paid way above market. I mean, T.O. finally ended up there way past his prime when nobody else would have him. They might not be dead last, but I bet players have them at least bottom 5 for teams they don't want to play for. I bet Cleveland, Jags, Raiders and maybe somewhere miserable and cold with no dome like Green Bay round out that list.

Coaching inconsistency. We keep signing retread guys with mediocre success in the league (on better teams than Buffalo) expecting them to turn us around.

Bills really need to just Moneyball the ###### out of this team and just do something unconventional under a young coach. Emmanuel and Tyrod weren't great but they could do worse, and now they have done just that.

They're also highly undesirable in the FA market. When they try to re-sign players, they bail. So when people suggest "oh just sign so and so journeyman QB in free agency" good freakin' luck. Buffalo is like the last final stop for any player, nobody wants to play there unless they're paid way above market. I mean, T.O. finally ended up there way past his prime when nobody else would have him. They might not be dead last, but I bet players have them at least bottom 5 for teams they don't want to play for. I bet Cleveland, Jags, Raiders and maybe somewhere miserable and cold with no dome like Green Bay round out that list.

Every team should be looking for a McVay type. A head coach needs to be open to innovation and flexibility. These tough guy coaches who scream and demand a power run game lead offense will sink your team. Idk how GMs haven't figured this out yet. Well most GMs kinda suck anyway. They at least should be better

Every team should be looking for a McVay type. A head coach needs to be open to innovation and flexibility. These tough guy coaches who scream and demand a power run game lead offense will sink your team. Idk how GMs haven't figured this out yet. Well most GMs kinda suck anyway. They at least should be better

Truth is owners are probably smart enough to realize when they may have a winner vs. when they just have a team that might attract some fans and make some money if the team goes .500 if they look like they're putting in an effort to win. Like Moneyball said, "Then there's 50 feet of crap, then there's us". The Bills are crap, the fans know it, the players on the team know it.

Buffalo knows they aren't winning as long as Belichick and Brady are around. Not without finding some miracle stud QB in the draft. So I think to your point the GMs are happy with the status quo power run game coach. Sure they'll lose, but they probably won't make you look too bad while doing it. I also think it's easier to build a somewhat competitive team around good defense and power run than it is to build a winner.

Innovation isn't easy and comes with huge risks of being embarrassed for some time until it starts working. Football is a game steeped in tradition, and as soon as someone starts trying something new that works (wildcat for a while, cover 2 defenses) everyone starts doing it.

Yeah. That's a list.

Yeah price and SJ were only relevant there but I think they were maddeningly inconsistent? Could be wrong.

No doubt - they did have some decent QB play but have lacked that "stud" since Kelly. Interestingly, The Dolphins are in the same boat - no franchise QB since Marino and the teams have had about the same success or lack of it! I agree with the talent black hole comment too. The Bills seem to sign some good guys but they either dont pan out or bolt as soon as they rack up some good stats/games. Ugh, lol.

Bills really need to just Moneyball the ###### out of this team and just do something unconventional under a young coach. Emmanuel and Tyrod weren't great but they could do worse, and now they have done just that.

Absolutely - coahcing and front office inconsistency. Its like a whole new management structure every season. No one sticks. Its just a parade of medocrity, or worse every few seasons. I dunno. Glad Im not a Bills fan. Of course I AM a Sabres fan and thats a whole other level of suck. ;)

Peterman is barely a hs QB... what kind of moron trades the only QB w some experience and starts a guy that was terrible last year, only to bench him after wk1 for a rookie. I feel for you Bills fans.. your team has now replaced Browns as the worst franchise in the nfl

Peterman is barely a hs QB... what kind of moron trades the only QB w some experience and starts a guy that was terrible last year, only to bench him after wk1 for a rookie. I feel for you Bills fans.. your team has now replaced Browns as the worst franchise in the nfl

We're number 1! We're number 1! :cry:

I can't fathom why the Bills do anything that they do.

Emmanuel was supposed to be the guy, then he had some bad games and wasn't the guy. Well, which is it, is he a QB on a short leash, or a work in progress?

Taylor shows some promise, had some bad games then all of a sudden he wasn't the guy and we trade him for a 3rd round pick. Ok fine...then but Peterman had a spectacular meltdown against the Chargers last year and Taylor came back in. So the bills traded him and thought Peterman could actually be their full-time starter? Really? Taylor was at least serviceable with the right game plan and helped the bills end their playoff drought. But nah, let's get rid of that guy.

So then we pick up AJ McCarron, ok cool right, then we unload him to the Raiders for a 5th round pick AFTER THEY SIGNED HIM TO A 2 YEAR $10 MILLION DEAL IN MARCH!!! :wall: What The F are they doing? Now they have the worst QB situation in the league with a terrible starter and total rookie. Explain that trade to me, please? Anyone? :blink: :wacko: :shocking:

I don't have much faith in their ability to draft anything as their scouting seems to suck as well.

Bills are already a mess. Mcderrmott has to go some how. He is totally clueless.

Getting rid of Tyrod wasnt a problem or a bad move (to the poster above) but all other moves and coach speak have been disgusting.

Inexplicable. I told people Peterman was not just the worst nfl qb, he was the worst QB in any form of football, pee wee included. If the idea was to give the rookie a chance to see a game in action without getting killed, fine.

Truth is owners are probably smart enough to realize when they may have a winner vs. when they just have a team that might attract some fans and make some money if the team goes .500 if they look like they're putting in an effort to win. Like Moneyball said, "Then there's 50 feet of crap, then there's us". The Bills are crap, the fans know it, the players on the team know it.

Buffalo knows they aren't winning ###### as long as Belichick and Brady are around. Not without finding some miracle stud QB in the draft. So I think to your point the GMs are happy with the status quo power run game coach. Sure they'll lose, but they probably won't make you look too bad while doing it. I also think it's easier to build a somewhat competitive team around good defense and power run than it is to build a winner.

Innovation isn't easy and comes with huge risks of being embarrassed for some time until it starts working. Football is a game steeped in tradition, and as soon as someone starts trying something new that works (wildcat for a while, cover 2 defenses) everyone starts doing it.

That's the sad part. Owners and GMs would rather have losers that don't make them look too bad too quickly. Either way they are losing, but losing by being more risky is somehow seen as worse.

Bills are already a mess. Mcderrmott has to go some how. He is totally clueless.

Getting rid of Tyrod wasnt a problem or a bad move (to the poster above) but all other moves and coach speak have been disgusting.

I'm really honestly curious, explain how a QB who took them to 9-7 and was serviceable in the right system, trading him for a 3rd round pick and thinking Peterman could carry this team wasn't a bad move? I don't see it...

Inexplicable. I told people Peterman was not just the worst nfl qb, he was the worst QB in any form of football, pee wee included. If the idea was to give the rookie a chance to see a game in action without getting killed, fine.

Chargers are going to eat that kid alive. He won't play the full game. They'll be flip-flopping between him and Peterman all season.

Chargers are going to eat that kid alive. He won't play the full game. They'll be flip-flopping between him and Peterman all season.

Can’t see them going back to Peterman, that would be a catastrophe. Also chargers without Bosa are different team, use caution.

Curious explain how a QB who took them to 9-7 and was serviceable in the right system, trading him for a 3rd round pick and thinking Peterman could carry this team wasn't a bad move?

Tyrod didnt take them anywhere. They bacled in at 9-7 and on thr arm of one Andy Dalton. If you want to know what he brings check out where they have finished in passing or total offense thr past 3 years. He isnt awful but he will never be a good passer. And if you want to be better than a 6-9 win team then you had to move on. They got a 3rd for him.

Peterman sucks. The whole front office and coach look foolish for how they went about doing this.

Put Peterman in last year for a half when in playoff race. He has worst game/half ever. So they draft one 7th. O ly for Peterman to "win" or "earn" the starting job. Although he never played a 1st string defense all preseason. Only for him to suck in his 1st half and be ya les for the rookie you all but said wasnt ready one week ago. Only to thrust him in right before SD. Minny on the road. GB on the road. When they didnt want him to start the season out.

Total failure from the coach or whoever is pulling the strings.

Tyrod didnt take them anywhere. They bacled in at 9-7 and on thr arm of one Andy Dalton. If you want to know what he brings check out where they have finished in passing or total offense thr past 3 years. He isnt awful but he will never be a good passer. And if you want to be better than a 6-9 win team then you had to move on. They got a 3rd for him.

Peterman sucks. The whole front office and coach look foolish for how they went about doing this.

Put Peterman in last year for a half when in playoff race. He has worst game/half ever. So they draft one 7th. O ly for Peterman to "win" or "earn" the starting job. Although he never played a 1st string defense all preseason. Only for him to suck in his 1st half and be ya les for the rookie you all but said wasnt ready one week ago. Only to thrust him in right before SD. Minny on the road. GB on the road. When they didnt want him to start the season out.

Total failure from the coach or whoever is pulling the strings.

Ok I admit my willingness to watch each and every bills game last season was pretty low. His stat line doesn't exactly conform to what you said. He was posting mediocre but not terrible numbers.

100% agree on what they thought they were doing as far as moving forward with this duo for the season. I guess this year they can just tank and have a top draft pick. We are flush with picks next draft so let's hope it's a good one.

Ok I admit my willingness to watch each and every bills game last season was pretty low. His stat line doesn't exactly conform to what you said. He was posting mediocre but not terrible numbers.

100% agree on what they thought they were doing as far as moving forward with this duo for the season. I guess this year they can just tank and have a top draft pick. We are flush with picks next draft so let's hope it's a good one.

He averaged 186 yards per game passing last year. In a passing league where anyone can throw 4000 yards, that is pathetic. Too afraid to make the pass to win the game. INT numbers are almost useless when you refuse to take an even slight chance.

Nice guy. Nice teammate. I like to see him do well. But the proof is in the games he started last 3 years. He isnt going to get a real feel for passing thr ball. It is nice to make a great 3rd down off his legs. But that only gets you so far. You HAVE to be able to pass the ball and willing to pass the ball. As he ages and his legs go he is going to be a backup. He would be a hell of a backup right now.

• Like 1

He averaged 186 yards per game passing last year. In a passing league where anyone can throw 4000 yards, that is pathetic. Too afraid to make the pass to win the game. INT numbers are almost useless when you refuse to take an even slight chance.

Nice guy. Nice teammate. I like to see him do well. But the proof is in the games he started last 3 years. He isnt going to get a real feel for passing thr ball. It is nice to make a great 3rd down off his legs. But that only gets you so far. You HAVE to be able to pass the ball and willing to pass the ball. As he ages and his legs go he is going to be a backup. He would be a hell of a backup right now.

100% accurate. Tie-rod end Taylor was a textbook example of a *play not to lose* QB. He always looked to run first, dump the ball off, etc, etc. Never attempted to ever make a big throw. The league nowadays REQUIRES you to have a solid QB with a set of balls if you want to really win and advance. Caretakers and the like will never get you anywhere in this league. The recent SB winners(and the losers too) all had great QBs that played great. Defense hardly mattered at all. Skill positions, while still somewhat important, are very secondary to that strong QB play.

The Bills are smart to go with Allen . They must see what they have with him and have to stick it out with him until the end of the year. The only way Peterman gets in there is if Allen gets severly injured or retires. :)

100% accurate. Tie-rod end Taylor was a textbook example of a *play not to lose* QB. He always looked to run first, dump the ball off, etc, etc. Never attempted to ever make a big throw. The league nowadays REQUIRES you to have a solid QB with a set of balls if you want to really win and advance. Caretakers and the like will never get you anywhere in this league. The recent SB winners(and the losers too) all had great QBs that played great. Defense hardly mattered at all. Skill positions, while still somewhat important, are very secondary to that strong QB play.

The Bills are smart to go with Allen . They must see what they have with him and have to stick it out with him until the end of the year. The only way Peterman gets in there is if Allen gets severly injured or retires. :)

Tyrod was serviceable though, he could get you through the day. Not the long term solution I get that but still a better option than Peterman.

I don't know that I agree Bills are "smart" to go with Allen. Bills have no option but to go with Allen. Peterman is an embarrassment. I don't call that smart. I call that piss poor team management and painting oneself into a corner. Now we're starting a raw rookie and saying sink or swim. More often than not that ruins their career.

• Like 1

Tyrod was serviceable though, he could get you through the day. Not the long term solution I get that but still a better option than Peterman.

I don't know that I agree Bills are "smart" to go with Allen. Bills have no option but to go with Allen. Peterman is an embarrassment. I don't call that smart. I call that piss poor team management and painting oneself into a corner. Now we're starting a raw rookie and saying sink or swim. More often than not that ruins their career.

Imo it can only ruin a career if the protection is really bad and they are getting killed every other play.

Imo it can only ruin a career if the protection is really bad and they are getting killed every other play.

Well, game 1 sure as sh1t didn't convince me the o-line can protect him as the Ravens had 6 sacks. Nobody is going to be afraid of Buffalo throwing a deep ball on them, they're going to blitz and pass rush the out of a rookie QB to hurry him and throw him off his game. Unless shady can put together some awesome running to keep them honest, the Bills are in for a really long, brutal year.