Sign in to follow this  
We Tigers

Tight ends you can get for free - Jonnu Smith and Ian Thomas

I'm usually not a proponent of carrying multiple TEs in most leagues, but it was an impressively dire week 1 for a lot of usual reliables, and injuries have opened up some intriguing options. Curious what everyone else thinks of Jonnu Smith and Ian Thomas, who are now going to step in for consensus top-8 guys at the position.

Jonnu Smith is pretty exciting to me. He's super-talented, and Tennessee targeted the tight end 12 times in week 1. Luke Stocker isn't much of anything. Smith has already shown his abilities, most notably on that crazy screen TD he scored last year as rookie, running through half of a defense from 20+ yards out. Walker was the only other guy Mariota looked at more than 3 times besides Corey Davis and Dion Lewis, and had 7 targets before he was lost for the season.

The elephant in the room is whether Mariota is hurt enough to get Gabbert some starts...but Gabbert also made Ricky Seals-Jones look pretty darn good at the end of last year. The smaller elephant is that OC Matt LaFleuer barely used the TE with the Rams last season--under 100 total targets for the whole group--but that roster had a lot more at WR than this Tennessee team.

I don't know that we can draw many conclusions for a weird twice-delayed game full of injuries that started at 1 and finished at 7:30 pm, but I do see a pretty clear path to 6 targets/week for Smith, and the potential to eventually become the #2 target behind Davis.

Ian Thomas has the physical profile and opportunity in a so-so Carolina lineup. I'm intrigued but less interested in rostering him in redraft than Smith, simply because it seems to me that Cam Newton has typically targeted Greg Olsen because he's Greg Olsen, not because he's a tight end. Ed Dickson had one big game last year when Olsen was out, but otherwise didn't make any noise, and Funchess is already a tight-end-sized target who does all right in the red zone. Still, Thomas is also way more of a move TE than Ed Dickson ever was, so there might be something there.

Any one else have thoughts on these guys?

was going to grab Smith if I didn't get Jared Cook, but I'll ride Cook until the wheels fall off then hopefully can grab Smith if he starts to produce. I was a Delanie owner

The smaller elephant is that OC Matt LaFleuer barely used the TE with the Rams last season--under 100 total targets for the whole group--but that roster had a lot more at WR than this Tennessee team.

How does Jonnu Smith compare to Gerald Everett in pass catching ability ? If Smith is noticeably superior, than this objection may get answered in a good way.

How does Jonnu Smith compare to Gerald Everett in pass catching ability ? If Smith is noticeably superior, than this objection may get answered in a good way.

Hard to say for me. Both have looked crazy-impressive in very limited opportunities. I suppose the argument for Smith now would be that Everett was a rookie under LaFleur, and Smith has already gotten the rookie/transitional year out of the way. Everett still had to play behind Higbee, but Smith may be able to play ahead of Stocker.

Jonnu for me. Have heard good things about him. Young but not a rookie. Athletic. Has learned from Delanie. They target the TE.

Jonnu is intriguing because of the targets alone. He'll step right in for Walker. I'm currently running OJ Howard as my TE and while I love his athletic ability I do not love his lack of targets.

Delanie owner here, and I picked him up for this reason. He saw 3 targets after Delanie was hurt. Granted they were in comeback mode, but still.

Jonnu is legit. He actually did well last year when Walker was out and I believe he's more athletic than Walker. I'm buying in on him.

Ian Thomas is also very intriguing, but I can't get both.

I changed my mind and went with Jonnu this week. I’m not expecting more than 5 points but we will see. Everyone after the top 3-4 guys is td or bust anyway.

Let me first state how much I needed a TE. I drafted Ricky Seal-Jones in round 13 and that was it. After seeing how the Cards offense was week 1 I didnt want a part of that. When deciding between the two I went with Jonnu bc hes a second year in league which at the TE is a huge advantage

I am streaming Ben Watson this week but picked up Smith as a more permanent fill in if he is treated with the same opportunity that Walker had in that offense. Could be a huge diamond in the rough.