Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I signed up to do Ironman 70.3 in traverse City next year

This will be my 4th 70.3. I've done one 140.6

I've really let myself go these past two years. I need to get back on the wagon.

Anyone else race triathlons?

I rode a bike once to a pool when I was a kid but I don't think I ran. So, no.

:lol:

I've really let myself go these past two years. I need to get back on the wagon.

ME!!!!

I've done 3 70.3 and my first 140.6 is in November; IMAZ.

I did Vineman 70.3 in 2015, and this year did Santa Rosa and then Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz was gorgeous, will probably do again next year.

You'ld think you could fit in to a shirt? Is this a run, bike swim that totals 70.3 miles?

You'ld think you could fit in to a shirt? Is this a run, bike swim that totals 70.3 miles?

Traverse City Iron Man

Known as the Cherry Capital of the World, Traverse City is excited to host the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Traverse City race on August 25, 2019. The race consists of a 1.2 mile swim in West Grand Traverse Bay, a 56 mile bike through Leelanau County and Benzie County, and a 13.1 mile run along Boardman Lake, finishing on Front Street in the heart of downtown Traverse City. Athletes and spectators will find a host of unique restaurants and a variety of wineries and breweries to enjoy during their time in Traverse City.

Very picturesque part of Michigan, I might be around there this weekend.

Step 1 - Fit into a shirt

Step 2 - ????

Step 3 - Do an Ironman

you really dont have the prototypical build, jus sayin.

Through Christ all things are possible.

I could do robert downey jr. If I was drunk enough, and if the price was right Do I have to pitch or catch?

Through Christ all things are possible.

Christ tried an Ironman once. Got disqualified for running on the top of the water instead of swimming.

They had an Ironman in Cebu when I was there this summer. That would be cool to go around the world and do those in cool places. The Alcatraz one looks cool as hell.

• Like 1

Christ tried an Ironman once. Got disqualified for running on the top of the water instead of swimming.

They had an Ironman in Cebu when I was there this summer. That would be cool to go around the world and do those in cool places. The Alcatraz one looks cool as hell.

I've done the Alcatraz race. That water is cold and the hills are brutal. The worst part was the sand ladder.

He must not like climbing much.

Going from endurance training to rock climbing you will def gain weight

Going from endurance training to rock climbing you will def gain weight

If you do nothing else, but most serious climbers are extremely weight conscious, as you can't cheat gravity.

Nice. Wish I could run.

Few years ago I decided to add more cardio to my routine. I started running like I was training for a marathon, 20-25 miles a week. Would run 5 miles in the morning then lift after work. Was actually trying to outwwork what I ate (doesn't work btw lol).

Anyway after a few months got a stress fracture in my shin. That put me down for about a month. Then I was back at it for a few months and got the worst achilles strain ever. My heel was so tender I couldn't put my feet on a table. Had foot in ice bucket every night. That one lasted almost a month.

I almost quit running here but decided to power through.

Then came the hip pointer. Serious soreness. Made me walk hunched over part of the time. More than 5 minutes in the car it was excruciating to get out and I was tight as fock. That lasted a few weeks. In addition my back would tighten up off and on during the whole time.

Then I decided running's not for me. Wish it was though. I do love to run.

I'm doing the bourbon chase next week. It's a 24 hour 200 mile relay race. Should be a good time

• Like 1

Does 3 flights of stairs count as an iron man? Thats the only thing keeping my fat azz alive.

If you do nothing else, but most serious climbers are extremely weight conscious, as you can't cheat gravity.

Oh yeah it's just a hobby not a competitive thing.. when he graduated have he was about 215 lbs.. Durning his best iron Man about 160 ish

Prob about 180 now

Does 3 flights of stairs count as an iron man? Thats the only thing keeping my fat azz alive.

My new apartment is on the sixth floor. No elevator. To get to my office, you walk maybe half a mile Straight up this focking steep ass hill. Then climb four flights to the office. And its hot as Fock outside.

My bad knee and right ankle are dying doing that round trip twice a day.

Done a half dozen half marathons and one unofficial marathon.

Scared to ride a road bike 30 mph down winding roads and incapable of swimming more than 100m without drowning.

Unless it was a "trail tri" (not even sure that is a thing) that was a trail run, mtb segment, and swim across an alpine lake (pretty sure that is the opposite order of a tri) to the deck of a micro brewery with artisan burgers I don't think there are any tri's in my future.

But good luck!

Traverse City is an awesome town. Swimming in the bay, cycling around that countryside with vineyards and cherry orchards, and finishing with a run downtown alongside the water sounds perfect. Add in a few thousand fit MI chicks.......... I may want to register myself.

Done a half dozen half marathons and one unofficial marathon.

Scared to ride a road bike 30 mph down winding roads and incapable of swimming more than 100m without drowning.

Unless it was a "trail tri" (not even sure that is a thing) that was a trail run, mtb segment, and swim across an alpine lake (pretty sure that is the opposite order of a tri) to the deck of a micro brewery with artisan burgers I don't think there are any tri's in my future.

But good luck!

Traverse City is an awesome town. Swimming in the bay, cycling around that countryside with vineyards and cherry orchards, and finishing with a run downtown alongside the water sounds perfect. Add in a few thousand fit MI chicks.......... I may want to register myself.

Look up Xterra for more outdoorsy triathlons. And don't be such a cycling poosay.

I'm doing the bourbon chase next week. It's a 24 hour 200 mile relay race. Should be a good time

Damn I cannot imagine the pain from this. Hats off to you but Fock that sh!t.

Never done one of those. Most of the ones I like to do are things like glow runs, spartan races, tough mudders, etc.

Never done one of those. Most of the ones I like to do are things like glow runs, spartan races, tough mudders, etc.

They have those for disabled people?

They have those for disabled people?

Dont worry you can still participate. They let the mentally disabled people do them as well. But for the rest of us, we can still participate in them just fine

Hey Cdub, I just did the Ironman Arizona 140.6. What an amazing experience!

Tell me more. I hear the swim sucks.

Did you break 12 hours?

Is the swim in Tempe Town "Lake"?

Helluva way to burn some calories before Thanksgiving. And AZ is awesome this time of year.

Congrats!

No, I didnt break 12 hours. I am a middle of the pack racer.

Swim is in Tempe Town Lake yes, I really didnt think it was that bad. The water is gross and silty, but it didnt smell or anything. The local lakes where I live all have a lot of dirt, debris, and fish...and they can get pretty gross.

Water was cold though, Ive heard water temp was 60F, but some people said their Garmins read as low as 57F. Several people dropped after the swim due to hypothermia, and there were some in the medical tent.

IMAZ has roughly a 95% finish rate and this time was closer to 90%, allegedly because of the cold swim and people just not being able to get on the bike.

Bike course is a false flat. Its three loops and the first 8 miles are flat streets through Tempe, then you head out on the Beeline highway which has about a 250 foot climb over 10 miles. Turn around is at around mile 19, then head back into town. By the third loop i was tired of seeing the same stuff and there was a headwind that picked up on the way back (I was faster on the uphill than on the downhill).

Run is also pretty flat with short uphills over a couple of freeway over passes; the run is two loops. Basically around the lake and then some city streets.

Weather was perfect, a little cold in the am, but a high of maybe 73? Gets cold as soon as sun goes down.

I thought it was a perfect course for my first 140.6. Its also hard to get into, they recommend you volunteer (I volunteered in 2017 to get this years entry).

A really great day though. That finish line compares to nothing else Ive ever done. The crowd, the energy, and just thinking about what I did that day, wow!

• Like 1

Congrats! I remember the feeling of accomplishment after completing my 140.6. Drink a beer and get a deep tissue massage.

I don't mine loops courses but 3 loops? yikes.

What's next?

No, I didnt break 12 hours. I am a middle of the pack racer.

Swim is in Tempe Town Lake yes, I really didnt think it was that bad. The water is gross and silty, but it didnt smell or anything. The local lakes where I live all have a lot of dirt, debris, and fish...and they can get pretty gross.

Water was cold though, Ive heard water temp was 60F, but some people said their Garmins read as low as 57F. Several people dropped after the swim due to hypothermia, and there were some in the medical tent.

IMAZ has roughly a 95% finish rate and this time was closer to 90%, allegedly because of the cold swim and people just not being able to get on the bike.

Bike course is a false flat. Its three loops and the first 8 miles are flat streets through Tempe, then you head out on the Beeline highway which has about a 250 foot climb over 10 miles. Turn around is at around mile 19, then head back into town. By the third loop i was tired of seeing the same stuff and there was a headwind that picked up on the way back (I was faster on the uphill than on the downhill).

Run is also pretty flat with short uphills over a couple of freeway over passes; the run is two loops. Basically around the lake and then some city streets.

Weather was perfect, a little cold in the am, but a high of maybe 73? Gets cold as soon as sun goes down.

I thought it was a perfect course for my first 140.6. Its also hard to get into, they recommend you volunteer (I volunteered in 2017 to get this years entry).

A really great day though. That finish line compares to nothing else Ive ever done. The crowd, the energy, and just thinking about what I did that day, wow!

Thanks for the write up.

I was just pulling 12 hours out of my ass, no idea what is considered elite, average (not that there is anything average about 140 miles :lol: ), etc.

I know with running, for beginners, 4 hrs is the target for a marathon and 2 hrs is the target for the half. What is the IM equivalent for 140 and 70?

I rode a bike once to a pool when I was a kid but I don't think I ran. So, no.

I used to drive my car to skateboard in a pool, so you're 1 up on me :(