Sign in to follow this  
josh wiley

Newer protect the qb rules

Is it possible that because of the new rule changes that the young qbs have more of a sense of comfortable ness? Noticed how Mahomes, Trubisky, etc have performed at all star levels fairly early. And yes I know that fitzmagic has also prospered. But I guess im wondering if U dont have In the back of your mind certain kind of hits if it might free u up a little more. Could be off base here but there are some crazy stats being put up by some really young players

I think the WRs and Rbs and tes have more comfort going over the middle.

i guess that's a fair point too, but i was mainly thinking of the actual qb position. maybe it has nothing to do with anything who knows

It's by design. The NFLs new QB rules and the NFL telling their refs to throw more flags on DBs. Scoring and passing had been trending down the past two years, they made changes in the rules and enforcement to increase it.

if you know even when you get hit now 50% of the time defeners will pull up a bit and try not to draw a flag and now wioth recivers able to run across the middle with less fear of getting boomed. just look at how many WR1 now run those route top WR never lined up in the slot as they were to valuable.

with both thoes factors it makes life a little bit easier for QBS and a LOT harder for defence

Is it possible that because of the new rule changes that the young qbs have more of a sense of comfortable ness? Noticed how Mahomes, Trubisky, etc have performed at all star levels fairly early. And yes I know that fitzmagic has also prospered. But I guess im wondering if U dont have In the back of your mind certain kind of hits if it might free u up a little more. Could be off base here but there are some crazy stats being put up by some really young players

Short answer is yes.

It's by design. The NFLs new QB rules and the NFL telling their refs to throw more flags on DBs. Scoring and passing had been trending down the past two years, they made changes in the rules and enforcement to increase it.

I was just saying this weekend the NFL power run game is a thing of the past. Everyone is throwing the ball up now, and pushing the ball down the field, even the teams with mediocre QBs. Defenses are basically playing with the field tilted against them. I can't recall a season before when so many different QBs were blowing up for 3+ TD games.

Maybe colleges are running more open offenses? It's prob a combo of everything listed here and colleges running more open offenses, plus the position being so specialized since a young age

Maybe colleges are running more open offenses? It's prob a combo of everything listed here and colleges running more open offenses, plus the position being so specialized since a young age

QBs know in the pocket now they're going to be able to run around to extend the play and the rules for sacks are now really in their favor. I don't know if they're calling holding more on O-lines, but stuff that was a clean hit on a QB or a sack before is now a 15-yard penalty.

Obviously, the NFL wants games to be higher scoring. 13-10 games and the like don't pull in TV audiences, even if it is a really exciting defensive struggle/field position battle.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of me saying I really think it's the NFL rules changes driving this more so than what they're doing at the college level.

No doubt its had an impact. Defenders are really in a tough spot these days. I like scoring and stuff like any other fan but one could argue that the offense and QBs have too much of an advantage now. Cant touch a QB. Cant hit WRs - or you have to calculate where and how to hit them which is tough when you have like 1 second to decipher all of that. I dunno.

I think what would be fair is to whistle a play dead immediately when a defender has two hands on a QB or has him partially wrapped. Hes sacked at that point. Play over. I realize that the big QBs like Rapistberger or Newton can escape this kind of stuff and so can Rogers but you have to do something to make this less difficult for the defense.

The rules have completely transformed the game and FF. You need 35+ from your QB weekly now to have an advantage. Used to be 20 was a decent game. If you don’t score 35, your opponent prob will.

You can thank the millennials. First, everyone got a trophy. Now, everyone gets a trophy and a touchdown.

• Like 1

We've been through this countless times in the NFL. Early in the season, the NFL sometimes experiments with rules to help offenses, but by the end of the year the good defenses take over again. So what happens is some of these high powered air attacks make the playoffs and then the more traditional defensive teams knock them out.

• Like 1