Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

U.S. 'turning the tide' on the opioid crisis

So I guess I was trendy. Back in the day, I had a pretty awful chronic cough. It was more annoying than anything. But it kept messing with this cartilage that it slipped out from between a couple ribs.

So I go to some clinic near work. This 20-something year old kid with his UT horns stuck on his lab coat gives me a rational about my drinking and then gives me an open prescription for hydrocodone.

It was a lot of fun. It went with beer better than peanuts.

But, after about a year I decided that maybe I shouldn't be on open-ended narcotics the rest of my life.

I went and saw my real doc and he was pissed. I don't know what ever came of it if anything. Probably not. But, while mildly fun, it was no big deal. And clearly addiction wasn't an issue.

Maybe I should have pushed for oxy.

It's also short acting. Both high potency and short duration of action promote abuse. But there are other factors as well, as some opioids generate euphoria more effectively than others - Demerol and Dilaudid come to mind.

I think the bill pharma's should be heavily fined for lying to all of us about their products.

I know that the doctors who are getting caught operating the "pill mills" are being held accountable, but that is only the egregious instances.

I am stunned by people who took this stuff for fun, believing they could "handle it". I have had procedures where they prescribed, but I never got the stuff, i would rather have the pain than risk it....

I think the bill pharma's should be heavily fined for lying to all of us about their products.

I know that the doctors who are getting caught operating the "pill mills" are being held accountable, but that is only the egregious instances.

I am stunned by people who took this stuff for fun, believing they could "handle it". I have had procedures where they prescribed, but I never got the stuff, i would rather have the pain than risk it....

I'm also surprised by the arrogance of people who think they can "handle" highly addictive drugs.

Then again, I've had morphine, fentanyl, Percocet and codeine, and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I would never think about taking those drugs recreationally, but your brain responds differently to them when you are legitimately in pain.

IMO the doc should have said "hey, we sliced your foot open and that may hurt for a while, take some Advil/Aleve/Tylenol and if it is still beyond your poossy pain tolerance take the more serious stuff."

He should have told you that. The good docs will. Explain it, write the rx for the opiod because everyones pain tolerance is different. Up to you at that point. The only surgery I took more than 2 doses of an opiod was my inguinal hernia surgery. I took them for 2 days. The constipation from that was horrible :angry:

Not sure why doctor are always at the top of the list for blame. Certainly they're are a part of the problem, but marketing and distribution practices coupled with the WHO's emphasis on pain as the "fifth vital sign" have done more to fuel the epidemic.

I also like how you leave duplicitous "patients" off the list of culpability. We've had more than one poster here brag about abusing prescription drugs, tricking "stupid" doctors, etc.

An entire generation of doctors allowed themselves to be corrupted by easy money and unscrupulous marketing tactics at the expense of the people that they were charged with healing. Pills. Pills by the thousands. All with names. All with markups.

Not sure why doctor are always at the top of the list for blame. Certainly they're are a part of the problem, but marketing and distribution practices coupled with the WHO's emphasis on pain as the "fifth vital sign" have done more to fuel the epidemic.

I also like how you leave duplicitous "patients" off the list of culpability. We've had more than one poster here brag about abusing prescription drugs, tricking "stupid" doctors, etc.

An entire generation of doctors allowed themselves to be corrupted by easy money and unscrupulous marketing tactics at the expense of the people that they were charged with healing. Pills. Pills by the thousands. All with names. All with markups.

You can't be serious. MOST Docs are straight up fantastic human beings only interested in your well being. FOCK YOU PEN :cheers:

I don’t think an entire generation of doctors wrote opioid prescriptions based solely on marketing. A few unscrupulous docs, more than a few deceitful patients and a bigly corrupt pharmaceutical industry created the problem.

The vast majority of doctors write for pain meds with the expectation that they’ll be used for their intended purpose.

You can't be serious. MOST Docs are straight up fantastic human beings only interested in your well being. FOCK YOU PEN :cheers:

Minus the hostility you created, I agree with your post.

Look up the story of Kermit West Virginia. They received nine million doses of opiates in one year.

Hint, that place ain't exactly a bustling Metropolis.

Look up the story of Kermit West Virginia. They received nine million doses of opiates in one year.

Hint, that place ain't exactly a bustling Metropolis.

Yep, I read an article somewhere about Pharma manufacturers/distributors flooding these small towns with drugs. I can't remember the details, but they clearly were looking the other way as addicts were created.

I don’t think an entire generation of doctors wrote opioid prescriptions based solely on marketing. A few unscrupulous docs, more than a few deceitful patients and a bigly corrupt pharmaceutical industry created the problem.

The vast majority of doctors write for pain meds with the expectation that they’ll be used for their intended purpose.

I agree. I think you have a small number who were dirty, and their actions are dramatic in the light of day. I think you also had doctors who genuinely wanted to help their patients, and were told that pain was "the fifth vital sign" and should be managed better. They were sold on the safety of opiod-based medication as a way to help manage pain. In reality they were lied to by big pharma and by the time it became apparent what was going on the impacts overall were pretty dramatic.

Hard to say just how impactful this will eventually be, I wish there was a realistic way to put these pharma companies leadership in jail, but they will get away with it as usual.

I agree. I think you have a small number who were dirty, and their actions are dramatic in the light of day. I think you also had doctors who genuinely wanted to help their patients, and were told that pain was "the fifth vital sign" and should be managed better. They were sold on the safety of opiod-based medication as a way to help manage pain. In reality they were lied to by big pharma and by the time it became apparent what was going on the impacts overall were pretty dramatic.

Hard to say just how impactful this will eventually be, I wish there was a realistic way to put these pharma companies leadership in jail, but they will get away with it as usual.

The fifth vital sign concept definitely influenced prescribing practices. Pain is so subjective and you don't want to under treat it. That being said, it's easy to become cynical when half your patients say they have 10 out of 10 pain with a smile on their face.

Well you guys will love this then. Purdue, the number one most evil company when it comes to the manufacture and over marketing of opioids like Oxycontin has announced that they are getting into the Narcan business.

They're looking to develop a cheaper version of Narcan since they don't profit from sale of Narcan.

They are also providing grants to LEOs to purchase Narcan in the meantime. They are of course receiving the tax benefits by funneling such grants through a charitable Foundation. Their charitable Foundation.

So, a cynical person would say that they get these people hooked. Then they turn around and keep them alive long enough to keep buying more of their product.

Damn they're evil. I wish I would have bought their stock.

Well you guys will love this then. Purdue, the number one most evil company when it comes to the manufacture and over marketing of opioids like Oxycontin has announced that they are getting into the Narcan business.

They're looking to develop a cheaper version of Narcan since they don't profit from sale of Narcan.

They are also providing grants to LEOs to purchase Narcan in the meantime. They are of course receiving the tax benefits by funneling such grants through a charitable Foundation. Their charitable Foundation.

So, a cynical person would say that they get these people hooked. Then they turn around and keep them alive long enough to keep buying more of their product.

Damn they're evil. I wish I would have bought their stock.

Clever on their part, they find a way to profit from their ill-gotten gains by selling the solution, and by doing it cost effectively so as to pretend that they are moral or something.....Purdue is a filthy piece of sh!t company.

There is not a single person on this planet who does not understand the dangers of toxins. Be it cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol, narcotics, or opioids, everyone knows that death is not only a possibility, but an assumed event.

I think opioids should be legal and fentanyl should be a required ingredient. If people want to use these drugs and kill themselves, who are we to stop them. The fastest way to eliminate "the crisis" is to let all the users kill themselves.

This is the users fault 100%. There are no victims.

I'm also surprised by the arrogance of people who think they can "handle" highly addictive drugs.

Then again, I've had morphine, fentanyl, Percocet and codeine, and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I would never think about taking those drugs recreationally, but your brain responds differently to them when you are legitimately in pain.

I had morphine once. I was in pre op about to go in for surgery. They gave me a shot of morphine in my IV port.

Holy sh!t. I can see where if I had a steady supply of that stuff available, I'd be a junky in a hurry.

I've had many friends try to get me to try coke with them over the years. They're like "you'll love it."

Yeah, I'm sure I would. That's why I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

Would like to see a list of their political contributions

While they probably give to both, here is an interesting fact.

Purdue Pharma was sued by the State of West Virginia in 2004 for ripping off the State's Medicare system (case was settled). Purdue's lawyer was Eric Holder.

While they probably give to both, here is an interesting fact.

Purdue Pharma was sued by the State of West Virginia in 2004 for ripping off the State's Medicare system (case was settled). Purdue's lawyer was Eric Holder.

Scumbag

I had morphine once. I was in pre op about to go in for surgery. They gave me a shot of morphine in my IV port.

Holy sh!t. I can see where if I had a steady supply of that stuff available, I'd be a junky in a hurry.

I've had many friends try to get me to try coke with them over the years. They're like "you'll love it."

Yeah, I'm sure I would. That's why I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

Cocaine is the Fruit Stripe Gum of the drug world!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=family+guy+fruit+stripe+gum&view=detail&mid=7634AAB9F02ABF6EFEEB7634AAB9F02ABF6EFEEB&FORM=VIRE

some of you guys really should try heroin. Don't knock it till you try it. Buncha nobodies.

• Haha 1

I'd like to see their heads attached to pikes, but to each his own.

I'd like to see their heads attached to pikes, but to each his own.

Rt 90 in Massachusetts?

So, the Sackler family is apparently working hard to keep a video deposition from public consumption, but John Oliver has it and got actors to read it....   😆

https://www.sacklergallery.com/

🤨🤔

17 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

🤨🤔

Trust me when I tell you. Junkies like this, will do all sort of nasty things to get their fix. A friend told me

• Thanks 1

She needs to show more of her t1ts. No doubt she would take it in the ass for a fix.

4 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

She needs to show more of her t1ts. No doubt she would take it in the ass for a fix.

:wub:

Rink

Drug makers and distributors flooded the US with more than 75bn opioid pills in the crucial years when the country’s epidemic of painkiller addiction and deaths surged to record levels, according to previously secret data released by an American court.

I do believe that people running these organizations should go to jail for the rest of their lives......

imo, we are just eliminating the weak minded and the losers of society with a legal form of suicide. I mean, who gets addicted to this stuff? Take the correct amount when needed and toss the rest when done. Toughen up puzzies. Take the pain.

3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

imo, we are just eliminating the weak minded and the losers of society with a legal form of suicide. I mean, who gets addicted to this stuff? Take the correct amount when needed and toss the rest when done. Toughen up puzzies. Take the pain.

This

14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This

We should also give generous supplies of opiods to inmates to test out.

13 minutes ago, lod001 said:

We should also give generous supplies of opiods to inmates to test out.

I think they should be free to anyone who wants them.  Let's thin out the heard.

• Thanks 1

You morons do know that addiction is a genetic thing right? It isn't a will thing. It's not a weak thing. It's an "if you have this gene you are much more likely to get addicted to stuff" thing.

40 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You morons do know that addiction is a genetic thing right? It isn't a will thing. It's not a weak thing. It's an "if you have this gene you are much more likely to get addicted to stuff" thing.

I can get on board with that, but what's your point?

20 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I can get on board with that, but what's your point?

The "fock those losers, let's thin the herd" stuff is my point. It's basically like saying, "fock making insulin, let's thin the herd."

3 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Really? At best you are 50% right.

Addiction is due 50 percent to genetic predisposition and 50 percent to poor coping skills. https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/is-addiction-a-disease.htm

The other 50 percent is due to poor coping skills, such as dealing with stress or uncomfortable emotions. in other words, 'being a loser and weak minded'.