Big Guy

Dallas Cowboys 2018 & Beyond

On 12/30/2019 at 9:58 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I wish they would make the following rule changes... 

1. Each team can designate one player who's salary then only counts against the cap at a certain percentage. Like say, 60%.

2. The team who originally drafted a player can offer a FA contract to said player and get a discount vs. The cap. Say if the Titans and another team both offer Henry $15 mil per, only say $12 mil counts against the Titans, full boat for the other team. Thus would allow teams to keep more of their own talent.

ETA: once they leave this goes away. For example, Miami wouldn't get a discount on Tannehill if they tried to resig him this year.

3. Something needs to be done about running back contracts. Not sure of the answer there. 

But why?  They can construct a team however they want and all teams play by the same rules.

Im not understanding the outrage over the cap? People complain in baseball that there is no cap.  Now in a league with a cap you want all these specialized rules.

My question is.....why?

Source: #Cowboys Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have moved slowly and with “abundance of care and respect” for Jason Garrett. That phase expected to conclude soon with Garrett not part of organization. Next phase to involve candidate interviews will begin quickly thereafter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MDC said:

Cowboy fans are so arrogant. “Still America’s team!!!” Dallas has as much national cache as the Redskins to anyone under the age of 50.

Arrogant? It's not "bragging".    Its a fact, and its sickening.    I wish people would just stay away.  But ya can't.  People simply can't help it.  This thread is just more proof.  And so is your post.  Also, "America's Team"  doesn't imply  "winning" or "best" -- because Dallas is not either of those.   They are, though, a spectacle that no one can stay away from.  Its simply never changes.  Society just can't help it.

Show me that people can stay away and not be pulled in.

Go.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Arrogant? It's not "bragging".    Its a fact, and its sickening.    I wish people would just stay away.  But ya can't.  People simply can't help it.  This thread is just more proof.  And so is your post.  Also, "America's Team"  doesn't imply  "winning" or "best" -- because Dallas is not either of those.   They are, though, a spectacle that no one can stay away from.  Its simply never changes.  Society just can't help it.

Show me that people can stay away and not be pulled in.

Go.

Jerry is a great promoter but the franchise is a clown show. I guess you’re right in that sense, but so what? The Cowboys are basically the Raiders south. :dunno: 

Clap On.....Clap Off.....Clap On, Clap Off.....The Clapper!

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Jerry is a great promoter but the franchise is a clown show. I guess you’re right in that sense, but so what? The Cowboys are basically the Raiders south. :dunno: 

And they might be the Raiders South.  So what. Its the NFL.  You have zero in common with the players.  Same with me.  My point isn't who's best. Who is the supreme champ. Who made the playoffs. Who isn't relevant.   So what if it's a clown show.  Its a bunch of folks you have zero in common with.  

Dallas is just like the other 31 teams that don't win the SB, or the teams that aren't good enough to make the playoffs.  

The problem is, no one can stay away.  Its focking dumb.  They will quit being America's Team when people stop treating them as such. 

19 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

And I'm glad Garrett is gone, but Jerry will hire another Jason Garrett not named Jason Garrett. 

Or will it somehow be different this time around? (crossing fingers that it will be)

Jerry can't be upstaged. Jimmy did it and won but Jerry hated it. He's gone for toady ever since. No one really knows who is supposed to be in charge. 

7 hours ago, Big Guy said:

:lol: 

The Cowboys are the, or at least one of the most valuable sports franchises on earth. That's not because of their Texas fanbase or 50 year olds. MDC continues to spew ignorance. Maybe if he actually went to a Dallas game he would see it with his own two eyes. They have their training camp in California and you can't get a ticket. 

• Thanks 1

Jerry is on record saying, he regrets firing Landry the way he did....... Which btw - was on a golf course, right after Coach Landry had finished his round.

Jerry's relationship with Red is deeper than owner/coach.. Jerry has known Garrett for a long time, even Red's dad for for Jerry at one time.. He's doing all he can to soften the blow.

The real question is what decent coach is he going to be able to get that is willing to kiss his A$$ and do whatever he tells them to?

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

The real question is what decent coach is he going to be able to get that is willing to kiss his A$$ and do whatever he tells them to?

Ray Childress let Favre tell him what to do. I'm sure he would have no issue listening to Jerry. 

I keep hearing Mike McCarthy's name thrown around.................oof.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Strike said:

This is the crux of the issue. 

In addition to a new HC, the Cowboys need a new GM. One not named Jones. Until Jerry steps back and plays the role of Owner and let's somebody else handle the day to day business of running the team, the Cowboys will suffer the negative consequences. 

It won't matter who the HC is as long as its one of Jerry's guys. They will continue to do Jerry's bidding instead of doing what's best for the team and gives them the best chance to win. 

In short, the Cowboys will continue in their mediocrity until Jerry passes or passes the torch. 

10 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

In short, the Cowboys will continue in their mediocrity until Jerry passes or passes the torch. 

Isn't Jerry's son next in line?   I suspect he won't be any better than Jerry, much like Mark Davis hasn't done well with the Raiders.

Why not Troy? He was basically the HC when Switzer was bumbling around. 

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

Isn't Jerry's son next in line?   I suspect he won't be any better than Jerry, much like Mark Davis hasn't done well with the Raiders.

The NFL is moving into an era when the future owners are all inheriting their teams or the money to buy them  These guys for the most part never worked a day in their lives. The Giants are on their third generation of trustafarians.  That idiot in Indy is anther one. The smart ones will be the few that get the hell out of the way. 

32 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah. Jerry has given Stephen a little bit more say in personnel matters and things have gotten marginally better since. But that is why I said the Boys need a GM not named Jones. 

Hopefully Stephen understands that and takes on the owner role of signing paychecks and hires a football guy to run the day to day business. 

To HT's point, I heard rumors about Troy taking on the GM position. I don't see it happening but it would be a huge improvement. 

MARVIN LEWISC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8341.jpg

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Bengals coach Marvin Lewis "has some interest" from the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are "focusing in on" coaches with previous experience. That makes them doubtful to hire any of the coordinators interviewing this cycle (Kevin Stefanski, Eric Bieniemy, Robert Saleh, Don Martindale/Greg Roman), or someone like Baylor's Matt Rhule. In win-now mode, the Cowboys look likely to go the retread route — already meeting with ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy. Lewis was linked to the Redskins before they hired Ron Rivera. He would be a safe, low-upside hire in Dallas.

RELATED: 
Jan 4, 2020, 11:30 AM ET
  •  
MIKE MCCARTHYC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8346.jpg

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy will meet with the Cowboys.

Dallas still hasn't fired Jason Garrett but are expected to move on from him soon. This makes McCarthy the first candidate linked to the Cowboys, though it's not clear how much interest there is. McCarthy has already interviewed with the Browns, Giants, and Panthers but left all three meetings without a deal. Out of coaching after a disastrous 2018, McCarthy wouldn't push the needle much as Garrett's successor.

RELATED: 
Jan 4, 2020, 11:05 AM ET
  •  

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

MARVIN LEWISC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8341.jpg

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Bengals coach Marvin Lewis "has some interest" from the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are "focusing in on" coaches with previous experience. That makes them doubtful to hire any of the coordinators interviewing this cycle (Kevin Stefanski, Eric Bieniemy, Robert Saleh, Don Martindale/Greg Roman), or someone like Baylor's Matt Rhule. In win-now mode, the Cowboys look likely to go the retread route — already meeting with ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy. Lewis was linked to the Redskins before they hired Ron Rivera. He would be a safe, low-upside hire in Dallas.

RELATED: 
Jan 4, 2020, 11:30 AM ET
  •  

They must love 8-8.

All can relax, Jerry has fulfilled his Rooney Rule obligation - sanctions averted. 

Ok to resume searching for the White/offensive minded candidates. 

Just now, Cruzer said:

All can relax, Jerry has fulfilled his Rooney Rule obligation - sanctions averted. 

Ok to resume searching for the White/offensive minded candidates. 

Or maybe the most qualified, no matter their color? 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys aren't expected to make a decision on Jason Garrett until at least Monday.

ESPN's Ed Werder adds that "Garrett has been campaigning" to keep his job. The Cowboys have been expected to move on from Garrett but continue to drag the process out. Dallas will be behind the rest of the league if the ultimately part ways with Garrett, with most teams already hosting multiple interviews. Getting fired this late in the postseason would also hurt Garrett's chances of landing a retread job.

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Or maybe the most qualified, no matter their color? 

Bcoz Jerry has a history of hiring the most qualified? Ok, sure.

I'd love to see Eric Bieniemy get the job - but that would make too much sense, not Jerry's style. 

10 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Bcoz Jerry has a history of hiring the most qualified, sure.

I'd love to see Eric Bieniemy get the job - but that would make too much sense, not Jerry's style. 

Why? Andy Reid’s coaching tree is sad, and Bienemy doesn’t even call the plays. I said the exact same thing about McAdoo before the Giants hired him. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why? Andy Reid’s coaching tree is sad, and Bienemy doesn’t even call the plays. I said the exact same thing about McAdoo before the Giants hired him. 

Bcoz he has huge input and vast knowledge of an offense custom made for Dak. 

BB's tree isn't exactly stellar either, yet McDaniels is the hot flavor of the month.

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Bcoz he has huge input and vast knowledge of an offense custom made for Dak. 

BB's tree isn't exactly stellar either, yet McDaniels is the hot flavor of the month.

Hey, BB's tree just knocked BB out of the playoffs! :banana:

• Haha 1

Cowboya are the definition of average.

Now they get to pay an average qb top dollar.

Should work out well.

8 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Cowboya are the definition of average.

Now they get to pay an average qb top dollar.

Should work out well.

GB has (arguably) the best Qb of the past decade, probable HOF'er - and he's gonna finish his career with all of 1 SB.

(imo) Dak has been average/above average WITH having Jason Garrett.... I think with a new, real HC - you can win with that. What you can't win with is an average defense. And Jerry's refusal to acknowledge this is, his insistence on paying Res instead - is exactly why Dallas will continue to be a party joke.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Strike said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys aren't expected to make a decision on Jason Garrett until at least Monday.

ESPN's Ed Werder adds that "Garrett has been campaigning" to keep his job. The Cowboys have been expected to move on from Garrett but continue to drag the process out. Dallas will be behind the rest of the league if the ultimately part ways with Garrett, with most teams already hosting multiple interviews. Getting fired this late in the postseason would also hurt Garrett's chances of landing a retread job.

He gone

NFL writers are really humping this non story about "dragging it out".  Why is allowing a contract to expire "dragging anything out"?

McCarthy & Lewis.......UGH!  Please no to both or any other ex NFL Head Coach.🤬

I think it's funny that the news broke yesterday about Garrett during halftime of the Eagles game 🤣

1 hour ago, Big Guy said:

McCarthy & Lewis.......UGH!  Please no to both or any other ex NFL Head Coach.🤬

I think it's funny that the news broke yesterday about Garrett during halftime of the Eagles game 🤣

I don't mind Lewis as a DC - i'm as sick of Marinelli as I was Red.

But McCarthy? Good grief.......... But at this point, I'll take any change - so we'll see.

• Like 1