Big Guy

Dallas Cowboys 2018 & Beyond

29 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.  They're the same.  One shouldn't be boasted or hated more than the other.

One had his first SB victory in his pocket before he got his second contract. They are not the same, as much as you want it to be so. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They lost in 2005 when they were actually signing people off the street the week before the playoff game. Lost in 2006 in Philly to a better team. Lost in 2008 after Buress suicided his thigh. Eli did not respond in that game. Won 10 games in 10, didn’t make the playoffs. Lost in 2016 in G Bay, Eli played well, OBJ decided not to catch a few balls in his hands. Rest of team played like garbage.  There you have the story of Eli and his playoff losses.  

As a hard core Pats fan I have to tip my cap to Eli.   The dude balled out hard in both of those SB wins.   And leading up to both of those SBs, he played some great football in the playoffs.     I wouldn't vote for him for the hall of fame, but I respect his game in both of those SBs and the games that led to them.     

I had forgotten about the Plax thing.   People forget how good he was that year and how important he was to that team.    And then he shot himself in the leg at a nightclub.   HT is right, with Plax the Giant probably would have gone deeper in the playoffs in 08.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't know why they lost those 4 games, and I don't feel like looking them up.  He may have had something to do with it.  Everyone has a bad day.  But even allowing for all of that he's had at least two really good days when it mattered and, up to now, Dak has had none.

LOL, there's only 4 of them.  Not hard... 

10 - 18 / 113  /  0  /  0

16 - 27 / 161 /  2  /  1

15 - 29 / 169 / 0 / 2

23 - 44 / 299 / 1 / 1

Just now, Baker Boy said:

They re not the same

So you're saying what a guy accomplished in 16 years, another guy should've accomplished in 5?

They're the same player.  They're both good QB's that under the right conditions, can help you win a Super Bowl.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So you're saying what a guy accomplished in 16 years, another guy should've accomplished in 5?

They're the same player.  They're both good QB's that under the right conditions, can help you win a Super Bowl.

What conditions will Dak need?

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

What conditions will Dak need?

A new owner.

16 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, there's only 4 of them.  Not hard... 

10 - 18 / 113  /  0  /  0

16 - 27 / 161 /  2  /  1

15 - 29 / 169 / 0 / 2

23 - 44 / 299 / 1 / 1

Tom Brady threw for 145 yards vs the Rams in the Super Bowl. Somehow they won. How much credit are we giving to Brady? 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tom Brady threw for 145 yards vs the Rams in the Super Bowl. Somehow they won. How much credit are we giving to Brady? 

John Elway threw for 123 yards in SB XXXII with a passer rating of 51.9.  Somehow he won that game and even made the HOF.  What a stiff!!!!

1 minute ago, Strike said:

John Elway threw for 123 yards in SB XXXII with a passer rating of 51.9.  Somehow he won that game and even made the HOF.  What a stiff!!!!

So bad stats in a playoff game only count when Eli does it. Even though every multiple champion QB has them on their resume. 

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Lighten up?  I'm laughing at you.  How much more light can I be?

Why would you be laughing? I though I was having a discussion, you think it’s something else. 

NFL 2022 Salary Cap Situation

Dolphins

$73,602,253

Chargers

$68,961,731

Jaguars

$61,242,176

Bengals

$55,751,243

Jets

$54,135,305

Seahawks

$51,553,760

Broncos

$47,683,840

Washington

$44,451,544

Steelers

$41,892,415

Colts

$41,166,927

Raiders

$39,970,443

Bears

$39,433,443

Browns

$37,381,477

Lions

$33,219,269

Chiefs

$27,223,636

Panthers

$24,079,129

Buccaneers

$20,700,298

Patriots

$20,577,827

Texans

$19,819,167

Ravens

$19,326,945

Cardinals

$18,849,338

Eagles

$12,158,360

49ers

$10,729,923

Falcons

$10,591,364

Bills

$8,225,846

Titans

$7,303,979

Giants

($532,714)

Rams

($1,679,314)

Vikings

($11,076,179)

Cowboys

($13,592,462)

Packers

($41,470,733)

Saints

($63,206,841)

34 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Eli doesnt get hate, he is just not a hall of famer, and you consider that hate cause your soft.

Sure.  This is laughable. People are obsessed with Eli. Mostly because he’s got pelts on his wall of the most popular teams and QB’s. Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Romo. Having a football discussion usually turns into this around here.  

Jerrah Jones is an incredible GM. Dak and Zeke contracts are a steal. 

if Phil Rizzuto is in a HOF, Eli is worthy too.  it's that simple. There is no more HOF any longer. It's just a popularity club

When Eli retired he was top ten in yards, Td’s and wins.  But his stats weren’t good. Ok. 

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

Jerrah Jones is an incredible GM. Dak and Zeke contracts are a steal. 

The Cowboys needed to win this year, because with bad contracts and their cap situation, they can't just add a few free agents and get better. This is as good as they'll be for at least the next 3+ years.

Jerry Jones might not live that long.

7 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The Cowboys needed to win this year, because with bad contracts and their cap situation, they can't just add a few free agents and get better. This is as good as they'll be for at least the next 3+ years.

They play in a weak division though. Hides a lot of warts. 6-0 in division this year. 

46 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Saints

($63,206,841)

Jesus Christ.  Cutting Bradley Roby will save them 10M at least.  

48 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sure.  This is laughable. People are obsessed with Eli. Mostly because he’s got pelts on his wall of the most popular teams and QB’s. Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Romo. Having a football discussion usually turns into this around here.  

You are obsessed. Noone cares who they beat for the bowls. He was a good to very good QB. Just not a Hall of Famer. There are 26 QBs in the hall since like 1940. He is at very best the 6th best QB of his generation. No Hall.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I don't agree.  At least on the FA part.  Not sure why people continue to think being active in free agency means success.   The best teams draft well and find bargains.  Retain good players they have coached themselves.   

I agree if they will lose players due to being up against the cap.  

But a couple Free Agents do not make teams.  

The progression of Dak and the playcalling is their path to getting over any hump.  They have a talented roster right now.  They lost because Dak and the line didn't play good.  Kellen Moore may be overrated.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

NFL 2022 Salary Cap Situation

Dolphins

$73,602,253

Chargers

$68,961,731

Jaguars

$61,242,176

Bengals

$55,751,243

Jets

$54,135,305

Seahawks

$51,553,760

Broncos

$47,683,840

Washington

$44,451,544

Steelers

$41,892,415

Colts

$41,166,927

Raiders

$39,970,443

Bears

$39,433,443

Browns

$37,381,477

Lions

$33,219,269

Chiefs

$27,223,636

Panthers

$24,079,129

Buccaneers

$20,700,298

Patriots

$20,577,827

Texans

$19,819,167

Ravens

$19,326,945

Cardinals

$18,849,338

Eagles

$12,158,360

49ers

$10,729,923

Falcons

$10,591,364

Bills

$8,225,846

Titans

$7,303,979

Giants

($532,714)

Rams

($1,679,314)

Vikings

($11,076,179)

Cowboys

($13,592,462)

Packers

($41,470,733)

Saints

($63,206,841)

This is what happens when you pay a "good" QB, elite QB money.

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

Eli doesnt get hate, he is just not a hall of famer, and you consider that hate cause your soft.

As the poet- warrior Mike Tyson said: “Social media has made y’all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it”  

4 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Said it before, this time ofj year you (generally) are what you are...........and this Cowboys team was a pig w/lipstick. And there's plenty of blame to go around for everyone - hopefully this wakes the powers that be up, and it gets addressed. 

* Stop w/the officiating. Yes we get jobbed sometimes but we didn't lose last night bcoz of them. When you're the most penalized team in the league, you have to look in the mirror. 

* Turns out Zeke played with a torn pcl.... and? The dude  has been inexplosive and a non-threat for years now. And to think, he's scheduled to make near $20m a year the next 2 years... :rolleyes:

* Dak runs for a td and game ending 20 yarder........but hey, let's not make his legs an integral part of the regular offense - that would make too much sense. :rolleyes:

* Does every team we play have multiple shut down cbs? They must, cuz we can never seem to get anyone open. 

* Not that the above matters, Dak would miss them anyway I guess. 

* Ok now the real meat of the matter, the single most glaring problem this team has is OL.. SF dominated and disrupted Dak all night long and only ever rushed 4. We have the worst C and LG in the biz.......and Tyron I love u, you're prolly headed to Canton - but it's time for you to go sir. 

* $40m qb, $15m rb, $20m wr, $200m in the OL - and can't move the ball........ nice going Jerry. 

* And speaking of Jerry - what dumbass owner builds his multi-billion $ shrine and doesn' t make it run North/South? Let's have sun affect play in our own closed roof house. :doh:

Props to SF, they were the better team and took it to us. Hope Bosa is ok, never wish harm on player - like to see him play next week. 

This is a pretty decent status report for dallas. The amount of penalties was not a one off and refs bending them over.  Dallas has been undisciplined all year.

Playing in the NFC East skews their stats.  While inconsistent, the 49ers can play like an elite defense...which i don't think they have faced much this season.

Dak is not their problem.  

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If Eli won 5 more, and lost 3 others, this might be a good point.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

If noone saw Elway put teams on his back and carry them to a few bowls, this might be a good point.

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

If Eli won 5 more, and lost 3 others, this might be a good point.

If noone saw Elway put teams on his back and carry them to a few bowls, this might be a good point.

So Eli never did that? 2011 Giants were 30th raked in defense and 32nd in running. Or Vice- versa.Whateever.  Eli set the record for fourth qtr touchdowns that year. Still stands.  But I guess he didn’t  put anyone on his back.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So Eli never did that? 2011 Giants were 30th raked in defense and 32nd in running. Or Vice- versa.Whateever.  Eli set the record for fourth qtr touchdowns that year. Still stands.  But I guess he didn’t  put anyone on his back.  

That is his one great year

13 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

This is a pretty decent status report for dallas. The amount of penalties was not a one off and refs bending them over.  Dallas has been undisciplined all year.

Playing in the NFC East skews their stats.  While inconsistent, the 49ers can play like an elite defense...which i don't think they have faced much this season.

Dak is not their problem.  

If Seattle played in the NFC East they would have won it or at least made the layoffs. That’s taking into account Wilson’s injury.  The Giants and Redskins are epically bad, and the Eagles are very beatable, but not disgusting to watch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

If Seattle played in the NFC East they would have won it or at least made the layoffs. That’s taking into account Wilson’s injury.  The Giants and Redskins are epically bad, and the Eagles are very beatable, but not disgusting to watch. 

I agree

I listened to the radio broadcast of the 49ers loss and they kept criticizing the Cowboys OL for constantly allowing pressure on Dak.  Sounded as if it was worst performance ever for pass blocking.  

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones expressed frustration with Amari Cooper during a Friday interview. 

Jones was highly agitated during his weekly radio interview, criticizing himself and the Dallas coaching staff but stopping short of promising major changes. Jones laid into Cooper, who in 2021 posted the second lowest yards per game (57.7) and second lowest yards per reception (12.7) of his NFL career. “Amari Cooper should take half the field with him when he runs a route. A whole bunch of that defense ought to have to honor Cooper. He ought to be able to catch it in the middle when they’re going with him. Others do," Jones said. "You throw to people that are covered all the time.” Cooper played second fiddle to CeeDee Lamb for much of the 2021 season, finishing second in target share (19 percent) and air yards share (26 percent). Perhaps Jones is frustrated neither Cooper not Lamb stepped up as a dominant alpha receiver in 2021. It's unclear if that's in either wideout's best-case prospects. 

Jan 21, 2022, 12:56 PM ET
  • Like 1

About time he stopped telling his players how great they are. 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones expressed frustration with Amari Cooper during a Friday interview. 

Jones was highly agitated during his weekly radio interview, criticizing himself and the Dallas coaching staff but stopping short of promising major changes. Jones laid into Cooper, who in 2021 posted the second lowest yards per game (57.7) and second lowest yards per reception (12.7) of his NFL career. “Amari Cooper should take half the field with him when he runs a route. A whole bunch of that defense ought to have to honor Cooper. He ought to be able to catch it in the middle when they’re going with him. Others do," Jones said. "You throw to people that are covered all the time.” Cooper played second fiddle to CeeDee Lamb for much of the 2021 season, finishing second in target share (19 percent) and air yards share (26 percent). Perhaps Jones is frustrated neither Cooper not Lamb stepped up as a dominant alpha receiver in 2021. It's unclear if that's in either wideout's best-case prospects. 

I started this thread right after the Cowboys acquired Cooper believing it would make a huge difference. He is pretty much THE best route runner in the NFL and I fully agree with Jerry, he should either be wide open or be double teamed freeing up somebody else. 

24 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I started this thread right after the Cowboys acquired Cooper believing it would make a huge difference. He is pretty much THE best route runner in the NFL and I fully agree with Jerry, he should either be wide open or be double teamed freeing up somebody else. 

Who’s the second best route runner? 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Who’s the second best route runner? 

not so sure

2 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

The owner GM criticizing players. No wonder Dallas is a clown show. Jerry should be criticizing himself for overpaying Dak and Zeke.

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

The owner GM criticizing players. No wonder Dallas is a clown show. Jerry should be criticizing himself for overpaying Dak and Zeke.

nailed it.  

52 minutes ago, MDC said:

Jones is 79 years old.   Same age as Joe Biden.    He should not be making the decisions for that roster.    The Cowboys are the Biden Administration, only with a little more success.     

I don't see why the critique is for Amari Cooper.  If he's so good that he needs to be doubled, why don't they feed him the ball and make them double him?

And Dak doesn't throw contested balls.  He'd rather take a sack than throw a ball to a covered receiver and see if he can make a play.  That's why Dez Bryant immediately went into the tank when Dak came on board.

Most Dallas games I watched, Amari seemed to feast on that stop route on the outside.  It was only a matter of time before teams started squatting on that.  The adjustment should have been to run a stutter go and hit him deep.

I don't remember seeing him catch many passes over the middle.  I don't know if that's because they didn't ask him to run those routes or Dak just didn't throw him the ball or if he just couldn't get open.