Sign in to follow this  
cousinal111

League Issue

Any feedback appreciated.

- 2 Player Keeper League

- Can't keep a player drafted in first 5 Rounds

- Future Draft Picks can be traded

An Owner is quitting the league after this season. Said Owner has agreed to a trade sending his 1st Round Pick to a team that is giving up this year for Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and Travis Kelce.

Should this trade be allowed since the Owner giving away his future 1st is leaving the league after the season? Obviously none of the players he is acquiring are keeper eligible.

League is a $40 buy in with $400 awarded annually.

Any team announcing their intent to depart a league should not be allowed to trade future draft picks.

Also a future 1st is not worth AB, Kelce & Julio - were I mish I'd likely veto that trade even if the other owner wasn't leaving after this season.

Lopsided trades kill leagues.

• Like 1

Just my own personal opinion. But I say an emphatic NO.

You should only be allowed to trade away a future draft pick, if you pay that years league fee also.

If you trade away that pick without paying, then you're ( potentially ) trading away another owner's draft pick. Not your own.

Especially if you've already announced that you're leaving. Then there's no question about it. It's not your pick to trade away.

• Like 1

The point about paying future Owner's fees is a good idea.

Agree totally with ralphster, lopsided trades kill leagues. This is our 19th season & have never had a trade vetoed.

• Like 1

Thats a dbag move. If he is leaving the league than that pick is technically not even his to trade but the next years owner.

Hey new guy, thanks for joining the league. Wanted to let you know the former owner is trading your draft picks since hes going to be out of the league and doesnt care about them. Thats cool, right?

• Like 1

In my league, we have a rule that states - "The trading of any future picks requires you to pay for the next coming year, immediately. If you trade more than 2 picks in the upcoming season, you must pay for the next 2 years, immediately. No trade will be honored until the money is paid." Our league fee is $150. Now, full disclosure, we don't enforce the "immediately" clause... we just wait until the end of the season. We NOW have trust worthy people in our league, but at the point when the rule was instituted, not so much. We did have to invoke this rule only 1 time and it worked. The departing owner won 2nd place and was due $300 in winnings. Since he traded away his 1st, 3rd, and 5th picks in the upcoming year, we held his winnings and used that to pay for the new person's league fees for the first 2 years.

• Like 1

In my league, we have a rule that states - "The trading of any future picks requires you to pay for the next coming year, immediately. If you trade more than 2 picks in the upcoming season, you must pay for the next 2 years, immediately. No trade will be honored until the money is paid." Our league fee is $150. Now, full disclosure, we don't enforce the "immediately" clause... we just wait until the end of the season. We NOW have trust worthy people in our league, but at the point when the rule was instituted, not so much. We did have to invoke this rule only 1 time and it worked. The departing owner won 2nd place and was due $300 in winnings. Since he traded away his 1st, 3rd, and 5th picks in the upcoming year, we held his winnings and used that to pay for the new person's league fees for the first 2 years.

Like that rule.

the trade is bad, and as much as I don't like the veto, should not be allowed to go thru...that's way too much value for a 1st round draft pick. Gotta say NO.

• Like 1

Paying the next year fee is a nice thought, but again, if he is leaving.. let the new owner pay the fee and steer the ship of the team. Not be left not paying for the crap the previous owner left behind. Gee, thanks pal. If you are leaving, be competitive, start a solid team every week and put a lid on the general manager activities.

Punch him in the face in front of his family. :banana: Then veto this silliness. It's a win/win.

• Like 1

The guy giving up all those players for the first, that is presumably still going to be in the league next year, also looks like a tool as well. I understand looking to the future when your out of the hunt, but have some respect for the rest of your league. Should be a line of other owners NOT leaving the league willing to take that gravy train deal. I'd personally have more of a beef with that owner.

• Like 1

Agree with all,the responses...should NOT be allowed to make that move if he’s already told you he is not returning...

How do you explain/justify to the new owner coming in that you allowed said owner to trade away his #1 pick?

I don’t know anyone that would be ok with that.. good luck finding a replacement owner if you let that go thru.

• Like 1

Normally I'd agree that a player who plans to leave should have the roster frozen to prevent bad deals, but if the roster hasnt been frozen, you need to scrutinize the deal based on its merits.

if this is a 2 keeper league, then a first round pick is the equivalent of a third round pick in a redraft. I could easily see AB going in the 2nd or 3rd round. Ditto for Kelce and Julio.

the guy inheriting his team wont do badly because of the deal. he is at the very least, getting some keepable players. this is especially true if his team was weak in terms of potential keepers.

even if it wasnt weak in terms of potential keepers(ie. he has a strong team), this deal gives him a legit shot at a title and likely represents fair value for a team trying to win it all.

In this case, I'd let the deal go through. hes acting as a normal team might even if he is leaving.

Any team announcing their intent to depart a league should not be allowed to trade future draft picks.

Also a future 1st is not worth AB, Kelce & Julio - were I mish I'd likely veto that trade even if the other owner wasn't leaving after this season.

Lopsided trades kill leagues.

Normally I'd agree that a player who plans to leave should have the roster frozen to prevent bad deals, but if the roster hasnt been frozen, you need to scrutinize the deal based on its merits.

if this is a 2 keeper league, then a first round pick is the equivalent of a third round pick in a redraft. I could easily see AB going in the 2nd or 3rd round. Ditto for Kelce and Julio.

the guy inheriting his team wont do badly because of the deal. he is at the very least, getting some keepable players. this is especially true if his team was weak in terms of potential keepers.

even if it wasnt weak in terms of potential keepers(ie. he has a strong team), this deal gives him a legit shot at a title and likely represents fair value for a team trying to win it all.

In this case, I'd let the deal go through. hes acting as a normal team might even if he is leaving.

You can't keep players drafted in first 5 rounds. The first 50 picks of the Draft are not eligible to be kept. AB, Julio, and Kelce were the team's first 3 picks in our August draft.

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus regarding voiding the deal unless he pays the 2019 fee. Now regarding the trade itself, assuming he pays or stays, Id let that through. Part of the idea of keeper leagues is that folks do trade the present for future. If owners believe its lopsided for 2018, the question to ask is who would give more of their 2019 picks in a better package offer? If theres not a better offer on the table, then its a fair trade.

• Like 1

Update. The Owner backtracked due to Owners speaking out about trade basically saying, "you're better than this."

Trade deadline is tonight at 7:30 & if both Owners agree to the trade than it will be allowed. If Owner leaves as planned in 2019 he must pay it foward to future Owner.

Paying the next year fee is a nice thought, but again, if he is leaving.. let the new owner pay the fee and steer the ship of the team. Not be left not paying for the crap the previous owner left behind. Gee, thanks pal. If you are leaving, be competitive, start a solid team every week and put a lid on the general manager activities.

Punch him in the face in front of his family. :banana: Then veto this silliness. It's a win/win.

This. As a new owner Id rather pay my dues and have my first.

Any feedback appreciated.

- 2 Player Keeper League

- Can't keep a player drafted in first 5 Rounds

- Future Draft Picks can be traded

An Owner is quitting the league after this season. Said Owner has agreed to a trade sending his 1st Round Pick to a team that is giving up this year for Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and Travis Kelce.

Should this trade be allowed since the Owner giving away his future 1st is leaving the league after the season? Obviously none of the players he is acquiring are keeper eligible.

League is a $40 buy in with $400 awarded annually.

In my league we never had to deny a trade in the 15+ years we have been playing in it. That one you outlined would be denied without a vote. As a matter of fact, the teams in my league would never even try something that stupid in fear of being completely embarrassed for trying to pull it off.

Get into a new league if this is tolerated.

• Like 1