Sign in to follow this  
BuschWack

Riverboat Ron

I don't know about that, but that was the dumbest call I've seen all year, worse than Reich's 4th down call in OT vs. HOU. "Hey, we're chasing that wild-card spot, let's just give the Lions the win here." Fockin nutsack.

Great call, just didn’t get it done.

I like seeing teams going for it like that.

What happened?

Went for 2 when down by 1 with a minute left.

And it should have been a pretty easy score. Cam missed on the pass.

Went for 2 when down by 1 with a minute left.

And it should have been a pretty easy score. Cam missed on the pass.

Wait, Cam missed on a pass??? This is unheard of.

I'm not even close to being a fan of Carolina and would still call them idiots.

I liked going for the win, but dumb playcall IMO. I feel like you have to use Cams mobility and probably use McCaffrey in the play as well.

• Like 1

Thought it was stupid at the time and said as much. Know thy opponent, plus new overtime rules of first score has to be a TD or you get a chance, made no sense to go for 2

One of the reasons way thw NFL put in the two point play.

I like seeing teams play for the win and not for ot.

Going for was a great move, but not running the ball was a bad play.

respectfully disagree with you on this one. While it's certainly more exciting to go for it from a fan perspective, if you are the superior team it is questionable at best. Not like Detroit without Kerryon Johnson as well, were lighting up the scoreboard,,,

They had a goal line opportunity earlier in the game and thought the playing calling was suspect.. then missed the FG.

How many more seasons does Riverboat Ron have?

I'm OK with aggressive playcalling, but when "safe" doesn't lose you the game, and an "aggressive whiff" does, you play "safe."

I dont understand why teams dont go for it more like Maryland did vs Ohio st even though they didnt get it.

Why is going for the probable win from 2 yards worse than kicking it and hoping it plays out well in OT?

2 yards vs playing the goofy OT game?

Why does everyone act like Panthers would just win in OT? You are at thr mercy of a coin flip. Then you have to play defense. Then you have to score.

Or you could just try to get 2 yards and win...

Not that Ron is a great coach. But in todays NFL I would rather try to pick up 2 yards then have to play 10 more minutes of game.

I'm OK with aggressive playcalling, but when "safe" doesn't lose you the game, and an "aggressive whiff" does, you play "safe."

So you are playing not to lose.

Gotcha

Seems like there is a split in thought on this, interesting topic. Fwiw ESPN win probability had it 45 % to 35 in favor of kicking the extra point for Carolina at that point

Seems like there is a split in thought on this, interesting topic. Fwiw ESPN win probability had it 45 % to 35 in favor of kicking the extra point for Carolina at that point

I just feel of you are the bettwr team with a huge running QB and a dynamic RB then you try and pick up 2 yards instead of try a PAT. Go to OT. Mercy of flip. Have to march down and score a TD. Or have to try a FG. Have to potentially play defense and SPTs.

2 yards seems much more in you control. And seems easier in my eyes.

The analytics say otherwise

What do they take into account? All the Nate Petermans and David Carr's 2 pt tries?

It is 2 yards vs having to potentially play 3 phases of the game for 10 more minutes on the road.

I dont see how you can knock a coach for trying to win the game from 2 yards away. It isnt this crazy terrible decision some people think it is.

Generally it has been determined that by the stats teams "should" go for 2 all of the time. It nets more pts overall.

Given this situation abd time not sure. I feel like it is coaches call. If he has confidence in his team to pick up 2 yards then go for it. I mean they should have had it. It was there.

If my team & staff have worked hard for 59 minutes and worked hard all week, I wouldn't want to risk wasting such a commitment on one roll of the dice. Not unless I was up against a Brady/Montana/Rodgers/1985 Bears defense, etc, and felt this might be the best chance I'd get to drive the stake in.

Stat geeks spouting nonsense again. The numbers shouldn't play one iota into the decision whether to go or not. Simply put, the stat nerds that have invaded football apply their statistics to every team, and every situation. It's so stupid. I wish they would go away.

Stat geeks spouting nonsense again. The numbers shouldn't play one iota into the decision whether to go or not. Simply put, the stat nerds that have invaded football apply their statistics to every team, and every situation. It's so stupid. I wish they would go away.

Stat: Bears 7-3

Giants 3-7

What was the win possibility for the Steelers when they where losing 16-0 I wonder.

Everyone as their own opinions about this issue, and it’s great. If I was the Panthers I would go for it again, but I wouldn’t pass it.

If they make it river boat Ron is a hero, it was a great call to go for it, but a bad play.

It was the Lions. Indoors. Matt Stafford has a ridiculously bad record vs teams with a winning record. Kerryon was out. Marvin was out. Basically, any adult team should be able to eventually beat the Lions unless it is on Thanksgiving. Oh yeah, the Lions have a divisional game coming Thursday morning. More football would have been bad for them.

I doubt that a graph factored in all of that.

What do they take into account? All the Nate Petermans and David Carr's 2 pt tries?

It is 2 yards vs having to potentially play 3 phases of the game for 10 more minutes on the road.

I dont see how you can knock a coach for trying to win the game from 2 yards away. It isnt this crazy terrible decision some people think it is.

If it would have "won" the game I would agree. Problem here was there was still 1:06 left on the clock and Lions had 2 timeouts. That is tons of time for them to go get a FG to win the game. And if they were only tied not down they wouldn't be desperate enough to be going on 4th down if it came up and settle for OT.

dumb move by a dumb coach.

the panthers would be a lot better without him. I never understood why he has a job.

If it would have "won" the game I would agree. Problem here was there was still 1:06 left on the clock and Lions had 2 timeouts. That is tons of time for them to go get a FG to win the game. And if they were only tied not down they wouldn't be desperate enough to be going on 4th down if it came up and settle for OT.

he basically told his locker room he has zero faith in his defense.

Problem here was there was still 1:06 left on the clock and Lions had 2 timeouts. That is tons of time for them to go get a FG to win the game. And if they were only tied not down they wouldn't be desperate enough to be going on 4th down if it came up and settle for OT.

Same if he goes for 1. In fact that supports the decision to try to take the lead instead of the tie. :dunno:

If you add up all the permutations, the Panthers lose that game more than they win it. So the option of trying to take the lead in regulation is probably the correct one.

not sure if it was pointed out, but Gano was already shaky on the day. Missed XP and FG. Zero idea why they didn't call something with an RPO. the other thing I hate in that situation, is the tight formation. i like pulling the coverage way outside so both the RB and QB can see the men who are actually staying home in the box.

People are goofy.

In some world this is the logic.

Trying to go up 1 pt from 2 yards away is risky.

Kicking a PAT and then kicking it back off to the opponent and at best going into OT is not risky.

There is no logic with these people.

I think it was a dumb call. There are smart times to gamble. I know "win now" may seem good, but taking the almost guaranteed XP, then going to OT at least guarantees you a chance to win. Going for 2 and missing means no chance.

Also if you look at 2 point conversion % it's historically less than 50%. So you're giving yourself less than a coinflip chance to win the game Ron?

He was trying to give the appearance that he's some sort of dynamic coach, which he is not. Sort of like when Tomlin decided a few years ago to always go for two. Yeah Tomlin you're the guy who cracked the code. Not Parcells, Bellicheck or Coughlin, but you. Wonder why he stopped?