Sign in to follow this  
Waias15

League Drama

So I am the commissioner of our league. At the trade deadline I traded away Thielen & Goff for Tyreek Hill & Kareem Hunt to the last place team. One of our owners got really pissed saying it shouldn't have gone thru.

Now he's trying to get everyone else riled up about it. He's basically gone rogue, and is trying to bench his whole team this final week because he's playing against his buddy who's in the playoff hunt.

Here's the thing.. In asking for Hunt, I offered Thielen, and if he wanted anyone else to give up Hill as well. He asked for Goff, so I jumped on it. There was zero collusion. I merely reached out to a team out of contention. I was ready to give up Michel as well but he accepted. What was I supposed to do, say "nooo take this guy too"

2 questions:

Was I wrong to push the trade thru?

What do I do if he tries to bench his whole team to benefit his buddy?

If this is redraft and you made a trade with a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it shouldn't go through. No team eliminated from playoffs should be allowed to trade

If this is redraft and you made a trade with a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it shouldn't go through. No team eliminated from playoffs should be allowed to trade

That's a rule I can agree with, but not one that we've ever used. Other teams have made trades with out of contention teams this year, so it's not like I'm the first..

This guy is just bitter, he even admitted to me that he was mad cuz if he'd known, he would've offered his OBJ and Cam to the Hill and Hunt owner

Is pushing trades through the normal procedure? As commish I push all trades through and set that as the standard. If it's not the usual way then you shouldn't do it for yourself. For me, I always receive the input from a couple people before pushing my trades through. Also, as commish sometimes it's worth adding that extra player to stay above reproach.

When reviewing trades it's not up to other league members or commissioner to decide what's best for other teams, the only thing they should be deciding is if there is collusion and cheating.

If you have usually pushed trades through I'd post a message stating that you have always let league members decide what is best for their teams and only vetoed a trade if there was collusion and cheating involved. If people would like that to change you can make that alteration next year and establish league voting. Not setting a lineup to give another team a win is collusion and cheating. If that takes place you can have a discussion with the league regarding the consequences of that. Forfeiting draft picks, getting kicked out of the league etc.

In standard redraft, out of playoff teams should not be making trades. Push up the deadline, make a last place punishment, make it a keeper league based on players adp. Do something to keep that from happening.

If the rules are set the rules are set. No more bitching this year. Approach the matter in the offseason for next year. Put all rules up for a vote and let everyone have input.

Also, explore moving to an auction league format where the teams are not allowed to go over a salary cap. This way a team can't just trade an Antonio Brown for a Jack Doyle, unless they trade back some salary in the form of other players . A lot of salary in this scenario. Also add some sort of keeper format and allow keepers to be traded. That can encourage trades for people who are out of it early but can gain assets for next year and help the other team compete for the current year while losing something next year. It cleans up a lot of trade complaints. In my league we have been going for more than 12 years in this format without even 1 person bitching about a trade.

Plus auctions are way more fun if you can all be in person.

I understand it, I have always disagreed with this. The trade deadline is the trade deadline for the league not just teams in contention.

That seems like a really bad rule. Bad teams aren't allowed to try and improve?

If the guy's just bitching b/c you made a trade and he didn't, well that's tough luck for him. Tell him to grow up.

I don't see much wrong with Thielen/Goff for Hunt/Hill, but that will depend on your league settings, in my case 2 QBs and 6 pt passing TDs, so Goff is extremely valuable.

Teams eliminated from playoffs can still make trades, theres a weekly prize so all teams have an interest in putting out best team each week.

• Like 1

If that trade was even close to fair it wouldn't have been a problem most likely....... that's a BS trade and you know it.

• Like 1

If that trade was even close to fair it wouldn't have been a problem most likely....... that's a BS trade and you know it.

I would have to see full rosters and scoring before weighing in on that. And honestly, even then, the risk is taking teammates, where if either of them, or the QB goes down, he is toast.

Teams eliminated from playoffs can still make trades.

This is why there should be incentives in all leagues to finish one spot higher than they are at currently, no matter how bad the team is doing. Whatever those incentives are.

This is why there should be incentives in all leagues to finish one spot higher than they are at currently, no matter how bad the team is doing. Whatever those incentives are.

I like the idea of a "toilet bowl" for all the teams missing the playoffs, a playoffs for all the "b" teams. Those teams duke it out for a small prize or maybe the winner gets the right to choose their draft spot for the following season.

People can move up the trade deadlines if they are worried about teams mailing it in and helping out their buddies.

I don't see much wrong with the trade.. I gave away the #1 WR who had been balling every single week, as well as a top QB. now QBs might be easier to replace, but that's the player he requested when I asked him to look at my team..

The real problem is this owner feeling like he needs to police every single move that's made. He's the sole reason we don't have a veto rule. Few seasons ago he traded me Shane Vereen, who had a huge game on MNF. He proceeded to call his inner circle and get them to veto the trade.

Basically he cries about any move that doesn't benefit him or his little group of buddies

I don't see much wrong with the trade.. I gave away the #1 WR who had been balling every single week, as well as a top QB. now QBs might be easier to replace, but that's the player he requested when I asked him to look at my team..

The real problem is this owner feeling like he needs to police every single move that's made. He's the sole reason we don't have a veto rule. Few seasons ago he traded me Shane Vereen, who had a huge game on MNF. He proceeded to call his inner circle and get them to veto the trade.

Basically he cries about any move that doesn't benefit him or his little group of buddies

Who plays in leagues with these people? Who maintains friendships with scumbags?

Based on the above I would not care what he said/thought. "If I knew I would have traded him something better (OBJ)" essentially reveals his thought process behind any complaints. It is not about fairness with him but rather about using any method (even if dirty) to maintain an advantage or stop another team from getting one. Dirty players belong in the trash :pointstosky: :ninja:

How does his roster look though? I mean it's not collusion, but if the guy already had a solid QB, it's a pretty crappy trade, but legit.

This kind of bs calls for Some digging to be done in the desert.

Someone must pay.

I like the idea of a "toilet bowl" for all the teams missing the playoffs, a playoffs for all the "b" teams. Those teams duke it out for a small prize or maybe the winner gets the right to choose their draft spot for the following season.

People can move up the trade deadlines if they are worried about teams mailing it in and helping out their buddies.

This is what we have for the bottom 8 teams. The winner gets the satisfaction of being the best of the losers AND he get's about 80% of his league fee back.

How does his roster look though? I mean it's not collusion, but if the guy already had a solid QB, it's a pretty crappy trade, but legit.

His qb was Stafford, so Goff definitely made sense

Trade deadline ends week 10 in our league. Starting Week 8 Teams separated by more than 3 games are not allowed to trade. 7 teams make the playoffs and 5 do not. The five left fight for first pick by setting a lineup for the 3 weeks of the playoffs. It is cumulative most points over 3 weeks gets 1st pick and so on after. Eliminates the sandbagging.

#1 Rule..... play with people you trust.

That dude tries to set a bogus lineup he would be gone. You as commissioner should be able to override with whatever projections your website has for best players.

As far as the trade....if the rules were not in place it should go through. Rules voted on the next draft. No winging it in middle of year

If the guy was out of contention and had nothing play for, why would he make the trade? He's doing it for giggles and upsetting the competitive balance of the league. Guy needs to find a girlfriend or start playing fortnite or something.

If the guy was out of contention and had nothing play for, why would he make the trade? He's doing it for giggles and upsetting the competitive balance of the league. Guy needs to find a girlfriend or start playing fortnite or something.

Actually, he's just been really unlucky this year, and always seems to be facing a team that goes off. He said he wanted to shake up his team.

There are a ton of trades in our league. Never has one been vetoed by me as commissioner.

I was simply being active and sending out offers at the deadline. He responded. End of story

Like Beernuts said if a redraft league and the team has no chance to make the playoffs and no weekly or seasonal incentive to improve their team why would a trade with a team that is in contention for the playoffs ever be allowed ! Obvious bs trade and this guy is right to flip out ! No one likes being in a league with bs commissioner making bs trades. SMH

Actually, he's just been really unlucky this year, and always seems to be facing a team that goes off. He said he wanted to shake up his team.

There are a ton of trades in our league. Never has one been vetoed by me as commissioner.

I was simply being active and sending out offers at the deadline. He responded. End of story

None of that addresses the question. And if it's the end of the story why are you bothering to post?

What you did was wrong. It may not have been against the rules but it is against etiquette. You don't discuss trades with teams that are mathematically eliminated. And the last place team shouldn't have done it either. Why wouldn't reasonable people object?

You say there was no collusion, so what, it was wrong. You hide behind saying it is legal and no collusion but it is wrong. And now you're getting upset because someone else might do something wrong - but perfectly legal and with no collusion.

You're in a bogus league run by a bogus commissioner.

You would not be commissioner long in a league I was in. Commissioners are easily replaced ! See ya ! Any way good luck to everyone that made the playoffs and fighting for that last spot this week !

Thielen & Goff for Tyreek Hill & Kareem Hunt

Theilen and Hill are separated by 3 points in my ppr leagues so that part of the trade is even. For a team with Stafford, the 18th ranked QB, Goff, the 4th ranked QB looked like a good upgrade. I see nothing wrong with the trade, but I do see problems with the league that a few rule changes could change for the better.

In my leagues we have a co commissioner. Any trade involving the commissh must be approved by the co commissioner.

I mean, its not horrific, Goff is money. But hes not worth a stud RB1. You needed to give an RB2 as well for it to look ok. He did the trade because hes last place so he doesnt care. Thats why I always say trades with out of contention teams need to be judged more harshly than otherwise. Also why trade deadlines need to be week 8 at very latest.

The other guy paid his league fees like everyone else so let him manage his own team.

If there is an issue, let the complaining owner submit a complaint to a fantasy football arbitrator. However, if there are zero signs of collusion, and not a major competitive imbalance then I dont see anything being overturned.

I understand it, I have always disagreed with this. The trade deadline is the trade deadline for the league not just teams in contention.

If it is a Dynasty League, I agree with you. If it's a redraft, an out of contention team has nothing to go, future or present, by trading. I've seen too many teams in redraft leagues make completely BS trades with teams who are out of contention at the deadline. It only benefits one team, therefore, shouldn't be allowed. In Dynasty, I see this every year. Older teams giving up picks to acquire another guy who they think will help this this season. I'm perfectly fine with that as the other team usually loses in present value of the deal, but comes out looking great in a year or two. It's how most teams rebuild in dynasty.

In redraft, I only now play in no-trade leagues. It definitely makes the leagues boring and there is often no messages or trash talk for the entire year. I don't have to worry about collusion though and have found my teams do much better when I'm not competing against someone who knows how to cheat the system vs. drafting well.

when is your trade deadline?

Feels like it's way late. Pull it up more and this won't happen.

It was the yahoo standard deadline. I think November 10.

This happened back then, but this guy has been crying ever since, and with his little benching his whole team stunt, I wanted to get some outside opinions

The trade is not unfair/collusive. Unfortunately, as a commish, you're held to a higher standard. And that's where this trade gets fishy. You really shouldn't let people out of contention trade, and definitely shouldn't be the guy initiating them.

You dont have weekly prizes? That means your never out of contention.

Unrelated, a number of trades have gone through with teams out of contention as you said. If the whole league is making these trades I dont see a problem.

You can push it to vote next year. Youre not going to undo multiple trades from November 10th. If I didnt play with weekly prizes or some incentives to win even if out of playoffs I may disallow those kind of trades. It just makes so much more sense to have some incentives like weekly prizes to keep the season interesting for all teams.

As a commissioner in a league, I had something similar happen between two teams in my league years ago. I vetoed the trade and reprimanded the teams involved.

sounds kinky.

It was the yahoo standard deadline. I think November 10.

This happened back then, but this guy has been crying ever since, and with his little benching his whole team stunt, I wanted to get some outside opinions

If he's the only one griping to heck with him, but if there was more protesting then it'd be a different story.

I'd rather come in last than win a league making bush league trades. Unless there was a lot of money involved of course.