Sign in to follow this  
NAn

'Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda' FF 2018 Edition

Entering last week for most of our FF regular seasons, with some playoff fates sealed and others in doubt, how about we have some fun (or is that be masochistic?) of what contributed to our precarious positions.
So this thread is not about crowing and beating your chest like half the other threads on the bored.
It's about fessing up: 'What coulda, woulda, shoulda you have done and been in better spot than you are now?'
List record, situation, answer
6-6
Control my fate, win and I'm in, lose and need like 5 other things to happen to get in
Not willing to spend more on Mahomes. I said my ceiling was 12, he went for 14 while I got the great Matt Stafford for bargain price of $8! With Mahomes likely be 8-4 at least with shot at a bye.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda benched Drake all the times he was worthless and started him every time he was putting up multiple TDs.....

8-4, need to win one of last two to cement playoff spot. Could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th if things go really poorly.

I coulda: traded Conner for Julio Jones before our trade deadline. Instead i got greedy and tried for AB and after being shot down never really went back to either take Jones or see what kind of draft picks I needed to add to sweeten the deal and get Brown.

I woulda: drafted Mahomes as my second QB if he hadn't gone 71st, right before my picks at 72 and 73.

I shoulda: started Cousins and Rivers all year instead of playing matchups with TB. I had my QB benched 3 times. Not a good way to put up a big score.

My biggest issues this year were start/sit decisions, especially at WR 3 during byes and at defenses. I've started various defenses through the year that I thought had good matchups and they really didn't work sometimes. They woulda worked really well if I'd started them the next week though.

10-2 and #2 in the league in scoring, so not too many complaints. As someone who used a keeper pick on Bell, I would have drafted Connor. Had him targeted for the 12th round, and a hardcore Steelers fan snagged him late in the 11th.

Should have taken a flyer on Connor like I've done in the past. Should have traded down from #7 as I got stuck running a WR/WR start in a year where most of the second tier RBs flopped. The biggest should've, total points league...had a chance at Chubb when Hyde was traded, but I lowered my FAAB bid from 55 to under 50 as I didn't want to be down to under 20% of my budget with 10 weeks left. My initial bid would have won, and I would have Chubb to cover for Gordon instead of guys like Coleman and Cohen. Worse, the first place team won the bid.

Should have bet more money on the Raiders when they beat the Browns.

shoulda not taken Russell Wilson as the 1st QB off the board in my 2QB league

luckily I took Mahomie as the 22nd QB of the board in my 2QB league

also made my best trade in a keeper league

Traded Melvin for Michel and Chubb 1 week before Hyde was traded (Melvin couldnt be kept anymore)

the bad

Turned down Lindsay and Rivers for Wilson and AP after week 3

2nd place, chance at first. First round bye either way.

Coulda: traded Cupp for Lindsey & Watkins. Guy sent out multiple offers and another for Lindsey or accepted before I could. 3 days later, Cupp tears his ACL.

Woulda: drafted Hill in the third round but he was taken just before me. Took Henry instead. Cool.

Shoulda: Drafted Conner late. Went with others instead. This is when the assumption was Bell would report that Monday before the season. Clearly, he did not.

I woulda not of been so happy taking Carlos Hyde on draft day, when I coulda and shoulda drafted Diggs in the 4th.

In my other main league I shoulda had more faith in my 1-6 team which led the league in scoring. I gave up any chance of making the playoffs. I traded Rodgers, Chubb, and Ebron for draft picks. A lucky 5 game win streak and I am fighting for a playoff spot. It could come down to points and if I woulda kept those players I woulda had more points now and all three coulda been in my lineup this week where I have to win to have a chance.

So I’m not in a keeper league,but just wondering, how your team finishes does that effect your draft postion and those draft picks?

Really I’m asking because I don’t know if that’s how it works.

Thank for a reply.

I'm on the verge of a playoff spot so the season is still salvageable.

That said, I should have started Jared Goff since day one and bolstered my RB depth instead of my WR depth.

So I’m not in a keeper league,but just wondering, how your team finishes does that effect your draft postion and those draft picks?

Really I’m asking because I don’t know if that’s how it works.

Thank for a reply.

I'm in 4 dynasty leagues and yes, they all operate to where the draft order is inverse of standings.

How many players you keep decides what round you start picking in. So keep and extra player you start in the 2nd round, keep 2 you start in the 3rd round, etc.

Works well in all of them. You have to decide if you the extra keeper is worth giving up for a shot at a good rookie.

I'm in 4 dynasty leagues and yes, they all operate to where the draft order is inverse of standings.

How many players you keep decides what round you start picking in. So keep and extra player you start in the 2nd round, keep 2 you start in the 3rd round, etc.

Works well in all of them. You have to decide if you the extra keeper is worth giving up for a shot at a good rookie.

Exactly how my keeper leagues work Weepaws.

My leagues do allow trading of picks in non keeper rounds. 5th thru 16 picks are traded. It helps trade activity.

Now the picks you trade for, are those picks also effected on how your team does?

Does that make since?

And thank you both for the insite and reply.

My keeper league is actually trying something new this year, we're going to give the #1 draft pick to the winner of the consolation bracket (or toilet bowl if you prefer). It's hopefully going to give people a reason to try to win games as long as possible. After that the next three picks are in reverse order of regular season standings so that if you finish 8th you're picking no worse than second.

The playoff teams will pick in reverse order of playoff finish (loser of 3rd place game, winner of 3rd place game, runner up, champion).

Now the picks you trade for, are those picks also effected on how your team does?

Does that make since?

And thank you both for the insite and reply.

It's just like trading a pick in the NFL. It's based on the original owner of the pick's finish.

My keeper league is actually trying something new this year, we're going to give the #1 draft pick to the winner of the consolation bracket (or toilet bowl if you prefer). It's hopefully going to give people a reason to try to win games as long as possible. After that the next three picks are in reverse order of regular season standings so that if you finish 8th you're picking no worse than second.

The playoff teams will pick in reverse order of playoff finish (loser of 3rd place game, winner of 3rd place game, runner up, champion).

One of my leagues actually tried a draft lottery, just like they do in the NBA, for the first pick.

Non playoff teams names in a hat. Last place team gets their name 4 times and the next team 3 and so forth.

It was interesting but we scrapped it after a year. Not sure why, but people didn't like it.

Well drafted D. Cook first round over Gordon. Should have left JU JU in over Goodwin in week 1. The windy conditions scared me away from JU Ju but of course Goodwin gets hurt before he gets any points. I knew that first game loss would haunt me. So 7-5 need to win this week to secure wild card spot play the best team at 11-1. The funny thing is everyone in my division is 7-5 or better I am in last place. The other two division leaders are 6-5. If I lose I will need help to get in.

Traded Ingram after he did nothing for Howard after he scored 3 weeks in a row. Of course now roles reverse and Howard sucks, shoulda just stayed put. Got a couple decent players in the deal but not worth it. Prob cost me playoffs.

Coulda drafted Theilan, instead took Shitzgerald. Woulda had 8 wins, instead have 5.

Going back to the draft. We have a 3 man keeper and I went with all RBs: Bell (grabbed Conner in the 12th), Cook, Gordon.

Hindsight: I would have protected Gordon, Tyreek or Thielen, and Ertz for balance. I'm currently 6-6 and in 6th place on the bubble. I'd probably be 8-4 or 9-3 had I not wasted picks on Cook and Bell.

Been a crazy year. I started 3-0, then went 0-6, and then 3-0 in last 3 after trading away Bell/Cook/Kupp for Ekeler/Evans/Boyd

Was telling everyone how much better a player Thielen was than Diggs as most people had them even. Had a chance to take him towards end of the 2nd. Didnt. Took Collins.

I am NEVER a RB heavy guy. For some reason I went RB heavy. Last time I go RB heavy.

Woulda posted my own humble brag in this thread of humble brags IF my season didn't go down the drain with injuries, disappointments, and slim losses.

I have a few, but luckily I've still managed to be in second thus far. The big ones are..

1. Keeping Bell in the first instead of Ertz in the sixth. Drafting Connor saved that one from really ending me.

2. Trading Hunt for Brown early in the year. Not a total killer but still wish I hadn't.

3. Dropped Mack a couple weeks before he came back healthy.

Won my first 3 games and then lost 7 out of 9...ouch. 5-7 right now.

At the 5 spot, I was debating between Brown and David Johnson. I fell for the DJ comeback and went with him. Should've reached for Gordon actually.

AJ Green in the 2nd. Always injured. Got injured when I drafted him a few years ago. Should've learned. Thomas and Adams were taken the two spots before me.

Short bench has caused me to drop Aaron Jones and Corey Davis. Painful.

Oh well.

To be fair with Johnson, we underestimated how ridiculously incompetent Steve Wilks would be as a head coach, and how clueless be would be with offensive philosophy. How does our best weapon work on the field? Via the pass game and getting him the ball in space? OK let's do the opposite.

At the 5 spot, I was debating between Brown and David Johnson. I fell for the DJ comeback and went with him.

I dodged a bullet on this one, as I wanted him but another guy really did too and outbid me for him, so had to 'settle' for Zeke...worked out!