Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

91% of DC METRO fare evaders are people of color

Michael Vernon. Little Chester Shoes. I arrested him a few times.

DC Council votes to decriminalize Metro fare evasion

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/12/dc-council-votes-to-decriminalize-metro-fare-evasion/

Evading Metro fares in D.C. is now a civil offense instead of a crime.

The D.C. Council voted 10-2 to decriminalize failing to pay the fare on Metrorail or buses and lowered the fine to $50 Tuesday night.

Previously, those who jumped over a Metro fare gate or avoided paying on the bus would face arrest or jail time and a fine of up to $300.

Supporters of the change argued that the criminal penalties disproportionately affected African-Americans.

“Decriminalization is not the same as legalization,” said D.C. Council member Charles Allen, who argued in favor of the bill to decriminalize the act Tuesday night.

He argued that fare evasion has been a crime in D.C. for at least 40 years and that continues to be a problem.

“A criminal citation stays on your record for life. [Fare evaders] will have a criminal conviction for their rest of their life for a $2 fare,” said Allen. “There are serious real-life consequences that come with misdemeanors.”

Metro opposed the change, saying lessening the penalties and fines would result in financial losses. WMATA argues that it already loses about $25 million per year from fare evasion on buses alone.

“When you don’t pay your fare at Metro, you’re stealing from Metro,” argued D.C. Council member Jack Evans, who is also Metro board chairman. What we’re doing is decriminalizing stealing.”

Council Chairman Phil Mendelson was the only other dissenting vote.

Citing an NBC Washington video in which fare evaders were caught on camera, Mendelson said, “I did not see poor people who were unable to pay. I saw younger people … who were quite brazenly jumping the turnstile. These were folks who were deliberately — without evidence of inability to pay — avoiding paying the fare.”

:doh:

You set the penalty to dissuade people from breaking the law.

I think criminalizing the act might be overkill, but you still try to hold them accountable, maybe make them do community service, lord knows most of this trash wont be doing sh!t for their community, might was well get something out of them

I think criminalizing the act might be overkill, but you still try to hold them accountable, maybe make them do community service, lord knows most of this trash wont be doing sh!t for their community, might was well get something out of them

Trouble is. The majority of the urban AA pop expects to go to jail at some point. They aren't as put off by repurcussions. We need to change that.

How about the first time it's not a criminal offense but it is for repeat offenders?

How about the first time it's not a criminal offense but it is for repeat offenders?

I can get behind that...... :thumbsup:

Trouble is. The majority of the urban AA pop expects to go to jail at some point. They aren't as put off by repurcussions. We need to change that.

I disagree black don't expect to go to jail at some point. Vast majority can't plan that far ahead. Instead they live in the moment and do what feels good in that moment. Need to get to get downtown but don't have fare? In that moment the ONLY thing you can do is jump the fare. Sure it's against the law, but that thought doesn't cross their mind.

A claim that I have not seen backed up anywhere with stats. They do have cameras at each entrance, so it would make sense that the stat exists as they can clearly identify fare evaders.

They also added that fare evaders are responsible for nearly all the violence aboard METRO.

They would never publish those stats.

They would never publish those stats.

Noooooooo waayyyyy in hell do they publish any stat that shows anything other than racism at play. The only stat we will ever see is one that supports the leftists dogma.

They actually captured this a few years ago in New Jersey, your SJW-types were throwing a fit that AA's were being pulled over uhmmmmm in a uhhhh "disproportional" :rolleyes: manner....right that is the dogma....

When they performed the analysis, they discovered that even MORE AA should have been pulled over, that black people in New Jersey were literally breaking law disproportionate to their numbers on the road, did you ever hear about that? NooOOOO?? Why do you think that got suppressed?

Noooooooo waayyyyy in hell do they publish any stat that shows anything other than racism at play. The only stat we will ever see is one that supports the leftists dogma.

They actually captured this a few years ago in New Jersey, your SJW-types were throwing a fit that AA's were being pulled over uhmmmmm in a uhhhh "disproportional" :rolleyes: manner....right that is the dogma....

When they performed the analysis, they discovered that even MORE AA should have been pulled over, that black people in New Jersey were literally breaking law disproportionate to their numbers on the road, did you ever hear about that? NooOOOO?? Why do you think that got suppressed?

Well obviously all the laws on the books were written by evil white men, therefore the laws are inherently racist.

Well obviously all the laws on the books were written by evil white men, therefore the laws are inherently racist.

Well of course, that is the "white patriarchy" angle used, across a variety of bullsh!t agendas

“That is a problem,” Council member Robert C. White Jr. (D-At Large) said, referring to the 91 percent figure. “I’m sad that’s Metro’s losing money, but I’m more sad about what’s happening to black people.”

What exactly is happening to black people? :dunno:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/12/05/dc-council-decriminalizes-metro-fare-evasion-giving-its-final-approval-contested-measure/?utm_term=.ffa31efc1c6a

That is funny, council member essentially acknowledging that blacks are committing this offense more frequently, so let's lower the bar again, make the inappropriate behaviors more acceptable.....and they legitimately seem to not understand why the issues in the AA community do not improve....

Again, nobody is saying AAs arent evading fares more. Theyre saying AAs who dodge fares are getting arrested more than whites who dodge fares. There could be a lot of reasons for this. But if youre going to complain about SJWs and pay yourself on the back for superior logic, at least get the basic focking facts correct.

Again, nobody is saying AAs arent evading fares more. Theyre saying AAs who dodge fares are getting arrested more than whites who dodge fares. There could be a lot of reasons for this. But if youre going to complain about SJWs and pay yourself on the back for superior logic, at least get the basic focking facts correct.

Hmmmm, so if someone does something more often, does it not make sense that they would be caught more often? It's simple logic. They are not going to catch every violator, but when they DO try to catch them, if the predominant offenders are AA, then it stands to reason those are the people who will likely be caught more often. Apparently we are expected to suspend logic based on skin color, as if that is going to help anyone....

• Like 1

Hmmmm, so if someone does something more often, does it not make sense that they would be caught more often? It's simple logic. They are not going to catch every violator, but when they DO try to catch them, if the predominant offenders are AA, then it stands to reason those are the people who will likely be caught more often. Apparently we are expected to suspend logic based on skin color, as if that is going to help anyone....

I will try one more time. :doh:

The complaint in the story isnt that AAs get caught for evading fares. Its that AAs who are caught for evading fares are more often arrested than whites who are caught for evading fares. Im assuming the people who arent arrested get citations or something.

The complaint in the story isnt that AAs get caught for evading fares. Its that AAs who are caught for evading fares are more often arrested than whites who are caught for evading fares. Im assuming the people who arent arrested get citations or something.

And again.....that might be the case....since they are offending more frequently.....not every offender gets arrested, but when you are getting caught more often....wait for it.....you might get arrested more often....

That this logic is not recognized, or perhaps the better assessment is...accepted, staggers the imagination....I guess it feels better to think that the meanie police officers are just being mean to black people, but that is utter bullsh!t. In fact, most of the people who were getting arrested when i rode it were the homless who were essentially using the system as a "home" when it was bitterly cold or hot, and yes...they were typically AA, no shocker there since they are the majority of offenders, math tends to work that way.

Pretending there is no problem does not erase the problem, pretending the "man" is operating a conspiracy against people does not solve the problem....hence the sh!tholes cities become due to the liberal tendencies to ignore the problem rather than meet it head on.

And again.....that might be the case....since they are offending more frequently.....not every offender gets arrested, but when you are getting caught more often....wait for it.....you might get arrested more often....

The complaint in the articles Ive read is that a higher % of AAs are getting arrested for the same offense. Get it now?

The complaint in the articles Ive read is that a higher % of AAs are getting arrested for the same offense. Get it now?

A quote from an article laying out the data may help your cause. :dunno:

And that stands to reason given the higher preponderance of AA's committing the crime, if you think that the police catch the crime every time it happens then you are mistaken, they do not, and since AA's commit the crime more often on that occasion where the police actually do notice or actually do act on the commission of the crime it will result in skewed outcomes....do you understand yet? Is this starting to register?

Surely you can't be this stupid.

Surely you can't be this stupid.

Do not underestimate him, often he is purposely doing it, but i dont think this is one of those times....

A quote from an article laying out the data may help your cause. :dunno:

I didnt say I had data. I said that was the complaint. I should also point out the OP didnt bother posting a link but that didnt stop the usual folks from whining about blacks and SJWs.

I will post a link soon.

Looks like I was partly wrong - the claim is that fare evasion is disproportionately enforced against black people but I dont see that supported necessarily in the story I read:

Alarmingly, the report showed that 91% of citations/summons were issued to black people, and only 8% to white people, despite the fact that black people make up about half of the population of DC and there is no evidence that black people evade fares more than white people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ggwash.org/view/amp/69171

Its possible 91% of fare evaders are black. According to the same article its up to the transit police to arrest evaders, give them a citation or let them off with a warning. We are never going to know how its being enforced then.

Just give everyone a focking ticket.

Just give everyone a focking ticket.

:thumbsup:

Did you take my original post as my opinion?

No, but I don't see why you would recommend MDC provide a link when you didn't provide one. From what MDC says, your info/opinion isn't accurate related to the story.

If they ticket everyone, how many will go unpaid? Unpaid tickets result in arrest warrants, which lead to arrests. And, we're back to square 1.

No, but I don't see why you would recommend MDC provide a link when you didn't provide one. From what MDC says, your info/opinion isn't accurate related to the story.

I am 100% accurate based on available information. MDC has provided nothing. :dunno:

The ramblings of the ignorant. Just stop. It's almost as if you've never stepped on a subway.

I am 100% accurate based on available information. MDC has provided nothing. :dunno:

I gave you a link above. More than you did in the OP.

Ive taken mass trans in Philly for years, been on the NY subway system numerous times, ride the Metro for a few days 3-4 times per year.

MDC aka Sho jr just stop. Trolling is one thing. But this is pure stupidity.

No evidence that the fare jumpers are 91% black means no evidence of anything. Pure trolling.

Evidence of ticketing is the only hard evidence available.

We all know who and where the majority of the crime is committed in our communities. Nothing else needs to be said!

No evidence that the fare jumpers are 91% black means no evidence of anything. Pure trolling.

Evidence of ticketing is the only hard evidence available.

We dont know what % of fare jumpers are black - the article acknowledges that some fare jumpers are let off with a warning.

We dont know whether blacks are more likely to be arrested for fare jumping at all. I read that claim but its not backed up. I cant find any figures on the % of black vs white fare jumpers who get arrested vs a citation or warning. I doubt the PD is sharing that info if they had it.

Of course black people evade the toll more. White people can't jump over a turnstile.

:huh: :lol: :nono:

Of course black people evade the toll more. White people can't jump over a turnstile.

Make the turnstiles higher. :duh: In china I bet those things are on the ground.

Make the turnstiles higher. :duh: In china I bet those things are on the ground.

I see what you did there...