Sign in to follow this  
Mom accuses Southwest Airlines employee of publicly mocking her 5-year-old's name...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-accuses-southwest-airlines-employee-publicly-mocking-5-year-olds-name-131855912.html

Traci Redford said she was boarding a Southwest Airlines flight home to El Paso, Texas, with her 5-year-old daughter when she overheard an airline employee mocking the little girls name, Abcde (pronounced ab-city). Now the airline has apologized to the mom and daughter in a public statement.

The incident occurred at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Calif., according to news affiliate ABC7 in Los Angeles. The Redfords were preboarding as they usually do because Abcde is epileptic when the Southwest Airlines gate agent started laughing and pointing at the child and making fun of her unique name to fellow airline employees. "I turned around and said, 'Hey, if I can hear you, my daughter can hear you, so Id appreciate if youd just stop, Redford told ABC7.

Redford said her daughter was within ear shot and asked her, "'Mom, why is she laughing at my name?'" according to ABC 7. "I said, 'You know, honey, not everybody is nice. And not everyone's gonna be nice, and it's unfortunate,'"

What Redford didn't find out until later, though, is that the unidentified employee also took a picture of the girl's boarding pass and posted it on Facebook to take her name shaming public. But another social media user alerted the mom of the post after reporting it to Southwest Airlines. Redford then issued a formal complaint to Southwest Airlines and pursued it for two weeks but never got a response.

So she took her complaint to ABC7. In a video interview, she recounted the incident. Since then, Southwest Airlines has issued a public apology to Redford and her daughter. The statement reads:

"We extend our sincere apology to the family. We take great pride in extending our Southwest Hospitality to all of our Customers, which includes living by the Golden Rule and treating every individual with respect, in person or online. The post is not indicative of the care, respect, and civility we expect from all of our Employees. We have followed up with the Employee involved, and while we do not disclose personnel actions publicly, we are using this as an opportunity to reinforce our policies and emphasize our expectations for all Employees."

Yahoo Lifestyle has reached out to Southwest Airlines to find out whether the worker is still employed by the company, and to Redford to find out if the airline or employee ever reached out to her directly. We will update this post when we hear back.

Well maybe if you didn't give your kid a really, really stupid name, this wouldn't happen...

• Like 1

My SD went to school with a girl whose name was spelled La-A. Pronounced La-dash-a. Get it? :doh:

My SD went to school with a girl whose name was spelled La-A. Pronounced La-dash-a. Get it? :doh:

:lol:

Is she going to sue everyone who makes fun of the name? Because she's going to spend forever in court.

And just wait until the daughter is trying to get a job. "Abcde? That's obviously a fake resume."

"So she took her complaint to ABC7. In a video interview, she recounted the incident. Since then, Southwest Airlines has issued a public apology to Redford and her daughter."

So ABC7 interviewed ABCDE? Is that her brother?

The child should not be mocked.

The mother should. Repeatedly.

+1

That has to be a fake account.... :shocking:

Im sure it is. I laughed though. See you all in hell.

I do keep a list of the craziest names I come across, but I sure as hell wouldn't post it on social media like a moron. I will say, though, I have had patients with both names (Abcde and La-a) and neither ranks in my top 5 most ridiculous names. I think the funniest name is still Sh*thead, pronounced "shi-theed".

yeah, I laughed too.... :wall:

I do keep a list of the craziest names I come across, but I sure as hell wouldn't post it on social media like a moron. I will say, though, I have had patients with both names (Abcde and La-a) and neither ranks in my top 5 most ridiculous names. I think the funniest name is still Sh*thead, pronounced "shi-theed".

There was this girl at my HS who got prego at 16 and named her son focking Optimus - this is right around when all the Transformer movies were blowing up. What a tard.

There was this girl at my HS who got prego at 16 and named her son focking Optimus - this is right around when all the Transformer movies were blowing up. What a tard.

almost as bad are the retards that use a typical name, but give it an idiotic spelling.....so that kid can then spell their name for everyone every time they use it for the rest of their damb life.....stupid

Kids names I have seen...

Mona Little

Harry Bush

Twins Kibar and kital

Arrayah sunshine

Green Brown

Kirk Lazarus: Just because it's a theme song don't mean it's not true.

She'll probably name the next kid "Qwerty"

How about WingDings

So when will someone name their kid LMNOP? Pronounced, Ella-menopee.

No....LemonOpp :thumbsup:

I laughed at how HT and his 12th alias got played by this one. Nicely done.

If I was invited to a public mocking of this woman and her kid, I'd be in the front row.

Bring the entire family. Row 1 - Seat a,b,c,d,e

• Like 1

And just wait until the daughter is trying to get a job. "Abcde? That's obviously a fake resume."

I was unaware that pole dancers needed to fill out applications. I always thought they just had to audition well. good info.

Bring the entire family. Row 1 - Seat a,b,c,d,e

They're screwed on a regional puddle jumper though.