Sign in to follow this  
Drizzay

George H.W. Bush dead

Rip

When he left Yale to join the navy in ww2, his father had the train stopped and got on and told him that it wasn't too late and he could still get him out of his enlistment. Always admired that he said no and became the youngest fighter pilot at age 18. RIP.

At dawn on Sept. 2, 1944, Bush was slated to fly in a strike over Chichi Jima, a Japanese island about 500 miles from the mainland. The island was a stronghold for communications and supplies for the Japanese, and it was heavily guarded. Bush's precise target was a radio tower.

At about 7:15 that morning, Bush took off through clear skies along with William G. White, known as "Ted," and John "Del" Delaney. Just over an hour later, their plane was hit. Meacham wrote that smoke filled the cockpit and flames swallowed the wings. Bush radioed White and Delaney to put on their parachutes.

"My God," Bush thought to himself, "this thing is going to blow up."

Choking on the smoke, Bush continued to steer the plane, dropping bombs and hitting the radio tower. He told White and Delaney to parachute out of the plane, then climbed through his open hatch to maneuver out of the cockpit.

"The wind struck him full force, essentially lifting him out the rest of the way and propelling him backward into the tail," Meacham wrote. "He gashed his head and bruised his eye on the tail as he flew through the sky and the burning plane hurtled toward the sea."

As Bush floated out of the sky, he saw his plane crash into the water and disappear below. Then he hit the waves, fighting his way back up to the surface and kicking off his shoes to lighten his load.

"His khaki flight suit was soaked and heavy, his head was bleeding, his eyes were burning from the cockpit smoke, and his mouth and throat were raw from the rush of salt water," Meacham wrote.

Fifty feet away bobbed a life raft that Bush managed to inflate and flop onto. But the wind was carrying him toward Chichi Jima, so Bush began paddling in the opposite direction with his arms. Bush would later learn of horrific war crimes committed against American captives at Chichi Jima, including cannibalism.

"For a while there I thought I was done," Bush told Meacham.

He was alone, vomiting over the side of the life raft and slowly grasping that White and Delaney were gone. Hours passed. He cried and thought of home. Barbara would soon receive a letter from him saying "all was well," but she had no true way of knowing. The letter was dated before George's plane had been hit.

Bush thought he was delirious when suddenly, a 311-foot submarine rose from the depths to rescue him.

"Welcome aboard, sir," greeted a torpedoman second class.

"Happy to be aboard," replied the future commander in chief.

• Like 1

At dawn on Sept. 2, 1944, Bush was slated to fly in a strike over Chichi Jima, a Japanese island about 500 miles from the mainland. The island was a stronghold for communications and supplies for the Japanese, and it was heavily guarded. Bush's precise target was a radio tower.

At about 7:15 that morning, Bush took off through clear skies along with William G. White, known as "Ted," and John "Del" Delaney. Just over an hour later, their plane was hit. Meacham wrote that smoke filled the cockpit and flames swallowed the wings. Bush radioed White and Delaney to put on their parachutes.

Choking on the smoke, Bush continued to steer the plane, dropping bombs and hitting the radio tower. He told White and Delaney to parachute out of the plane, then climbed through his open hatch to maneuver out of the cockpit.

"The wind struck him full force, essentially lifting him out the rest of the way and propelling him backward into the tail," Meacham wrote. "He gashed his head and bruised his eye on the tail as he flew through the sky and the burning plane hurtled toward the sea."

As Bush floated out of the sky, he saw his plane crash into the water and disappear below. Then he hit the waves, fighting his way back up to the surface and kicking off his shoes to lighten his load.

"His khaki flight suit was soaked and heavy, his head was bleeding, his eyes were burning from the cockpit smoke, and his mouth and throat were raw from the rush of salt water," Meacham wrote.

Fifty feet away bobbed a life raft that Bush managed to inflate and flop onto. But the wind was carrying him toward Chichi Jima, so Bush began paddling in the opposite direction with his arms. Bush would later learn of horrific war crimes committed against American captives at Chichi Jima, including cannibalism.

He was alone, vomiting over the side of the life raft and slowly grasping that White and Delaney were gone. Hours passed. He cried and thought of home. Barbara would soon receive a letter from him saying "all was well," but she had no true way of knowing. The letter was dated before George's plane had been hit.

Bush thought he was delirious when suddenly, a 311-foot submarine rose from the depths to rescue him.

Awesome story. RIP

Awesome story. RIP

Really is. He was with Barbara since he was 18. Holy chit

• Like 1

Really is. He was with Barbara since he was 18. Holy chit

And even back then she was mistaken for his mother.

And even back then she was mistaken for his mother.

and the Quaker Oats Man

I just did a shot (3) of JD in GWB name.

RIP

Late start for you :cheers:

Nah. Had some vodka shots at 6AM but that was in honor of me not George

:wave:

We need a few other former POTUS to take the nap.

:first:

ALL of them!!!

I'm confused, why would I wish any person let alone a former POTUS to be dead? :unsure:

I'm confused, why would I wish any person let alone a former POTUS to be dead? :unsure:

Because they're all anti American Globalist tools. :dunno:

Because they're all anti American Globalist tools. :dunno:

I was about to post how I was proud of this place for coming together in respect for GHWB, independent of political leanings. Then you and joneo had to fock it up. Makes conservatives look bad. :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

One of the greatest men I ever had the pleasure to meet was Austin Kiplinger. Super tall, laid back farmer who was GHWB's flight leader. The greatest generation no doubt.

RIP Mr. President... Thank you for your service and dedication to the country...

Typical class by the Trumpers.

Followed by a typical troll.

I was about to post how I was proud of this place for coming together in respect for GHWB, independent of political leanings. Then you and joneo had to fock it up. Makes conservatives look bad. :thumbsdown:

Sorry Man......but just like McCain, I can't celebrate them alive or dead.

Sorry Man......but just like McCain, I can't celebrate them alive or dead.

OK dooshbag. What a dikc.

The letter George H.W. Bush left for Clinton is a lesson in grace

Dear Bill,

When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I'm not a very good one to give advice; but just don't let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country's success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good luck—

George

Thank you Mr. President for your lifetime of service to our nation.

OK dooshbag. What a dikc.

-_-

Foreign policy keeps evolving as people complain about the current philosophy.

The policy after WW2 was direct intervention using US troops. Korea. Vietnam. Eventually the public tired of that approach but foreign policy objectives still needed to be met so the US turned to covert arms sales of rebels in various nations. With Iran-Contra, covert arms sales became a scandal of its own. So Bush innovated on foreign policy yet again and crafted a "Coalition" plan where various countries came together to serve foreign policy in the Gulf War. That innovation was his strength. Clinton attempted to duplicate that innovation in 1998 and failed, and then Bush 2 tried it a third time in 2003 and got destroyed for it, ending that particular innovation. Obama gave us the next iteration by basing foreign policy almost exclusively on cruise missile strikes. He ordered up massive amounts of air strikes on ISIS, Syria, Libya, etc. Obama ordered 10 times more air strikes than Bush and embraced drones more than any other President. I assume Trump or some other future president will get involved in a drone strike scandal in the future that forces US foreign policy to evolve again, but for now, that is where we are.

But in all of this, there is no question that 41s Coalition model in 1990 was the most successful foreign policy model since World War 2.

• Like 2