Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

James Conner

Rotoworld is reporting that Steelers promoted Trey Edmunds (RB) from practice squad. Doesn't bode well for Conner and definitely needs to be watched. Jaylen Samuels "should" be next man up.

Mike Tomlin finally admits that Conner has a sprained ankle which was pretty obvious if you watched the video. Conner won't play in Week 14 and Tomlin hints at RBBC...

Mike Tomlin, running back by committee "is our intention" as we sit there.

Jaylen Samuels, Stevan Ridley and Trey Edwards are next up on the depth chart.

I suppose Ridley gets the early down carries and Samuels gets the passing down work. Although I'm not sure the Steelers ever run the ball on early downs without getting called for holding.

Anyone else hearing that it's the dreaded high ankle sprain? That's pretty much a guarantee he'll miss multiple games.

Connor as the man had some down games. I think this will be a split. Then Ridley is the inside runner. If Pitt controls he game Ridley is the clock killer.

Mike FFToday may have a different opinion, but Samuels isn't a prototypical between the tackles runner just yet. He's a very adept pass catcher as a converted WR and when drafted it was mentioned that his skill set was closer to Bell's than Conner's. I think Tomlin's "committee" line is pretty telling for a team that LOVES 3 down backs. RB2 at best IMO.

I don’t see a lot of production out of any of the Pitt Rbs this weekend.

I dont see a lot of production out of any of the Pitt Rbs this weekend.

Oakland.

Oakland.

This. If the Steelers get up big (which they "should"), there's lots of room for the RB's to contribute.

This. If the Steelers get up big (which they "should"), there's lots of room for the RB's to contribute.

This game will be closer than folks think.

• Like 1

This game will be closer than folks think.

Yeah, i wasn't saying it's a gimme, because somehow the Raiders play the Steelers tough every time. Was more along the lines of the Steelers should be heavily favored to win. Raiders looked feisty in defeat last week, and Pittsburgh has a horrible history of overlooking "lesser" competition.

I think Ben will throw a lot, I think all three Rbs for Pitt will be used at times.

I don’t think neither of them will produce big, just to much of a RBBC.

Raiders vs Steelers is a classic it’s my favorite matchup in the NFL.

Of course it goes way back into the 70es when the nfl allowed players to hit each other, and those two teams did a lot of hitting on each other. If I have my facts right, on the Raiders super bowl rings Al Davis and the Raiders victorious score over the Steelers from the playoff game inscribed on them.

Still today my favorite matchup in the nfl.

Samuels isn't a completely traditional RB, and I'm not truly sure how much the Steelers trust him in traffic to hold onto the ball. I believe that Edmunds was signed only for depth, but Ridley may get some play. And I fear that one fumble will put Samuels in the doghouse very quickly and result in Ridley getting extended run. As excited as I am about Samuels as a pass catcher, I'm a bit wary of the situation in general (unless I was in a yahoo league, which I'm not, where I would be ALL in playing Samuels as a TE).

the steelers are certainly advertising that they are going with a RBBC this weekend. however, that approach is completely contrary to their SOP. i expect samuels to get a lionshare unless he fumbles or is missing key blocks, etc, early.

i won't be SHOCKED if they go RBBC like they say they are going to, but i'm not necessarily just taking them at their word

the steelers are certainly advertising that they are going with a RBBC this weekend. however, that approach is completely contrary to their SOP. i expect samuels to get a lionshare unless he fumbles or is missing key blocks, etc, early.

i won't be SHOCKED if they go RBBC like they say they are going to, but i'm not necessarily just taking them at their word

I think it depends completely on Samuels. If he comes in, proves he can run between the tackles without ball security issues, and doesn't miss blocks that get Ben killed, then he will get the VAST majority of the snaps and carries (figuring 75%). But if he bobbles on either of those, it could be full blown RBBC with Ridley. JMO though.

And I fear that one fumble will put Samuels in the doghouse very quickly and result in Ridley getting extended run.

It's a valid point, but FYI raiders have force just 3 fumbles all year (Ten/Phi/LAC/SF same) and only Atl less (2)

7 minutes ago, Law said:

Wouldn't this have been worthy of a new thread with a proper title and not digging up a TWO YEAR OLD thread?

IDK, I kinda like the idea....

Any owner who sees his name towards the top of the topics list, will definitely take a peak.