stonewall

John Kelly

I know everyone is chasing Williams and Ballage this week, but not much chatter about Kelly. Of course, Gurly could play and it doesn't matter, but he looked pretty hobbled last night, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to get him healthy for the playoffs. After all, he is the key to their post-season success.

They also have Davis, but he has been dealing with a shoulder, and Mack is out for the year. The Zona game presents a good match up too.

Here is his draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-kelly?id=32462018-0002-5601-9186-f2a43927b0c7

Anderson hurts.

anderson is a good sign for kelly

This is the direction that I am leaning too. I wouldn't expect CJ (who I have always liked in years past as a flex RB) to walk in on a Tuesday and get meaningful burn on Sunday. Heck, he only lasted a week in the Black Hole of Oakland before being cut.

I don’t think he’s a good sign.

I think he’s a disparate sign.

Shows I think they have concern at rb with Brown out and Gurley very questionable.

Im rolling him over James white if no Gurley. Kelly was a solid pass catching RB in school and Kamaras old backfield partner from UT

like stonewall said. i doubt CJ does much this week barring injury. if gurley rests i think kelly is a good play. and i think the CJ signing means theres a good chance that gurley rests

if you're worried about week 17 then i am listening

I don’t think he’s a good sign.

I think he’s a disparate sign.

Shows I think they have concern at rb with Brown out and Gurley very questionable.

Don’t know but I think Anderson will contribute more then I think he will.

Not so sure if Gurley playes and if so he’s going to be limited.

Don’t know but I think Anderson will contribute more then I think he will.

After 16 weeks of grinding in 6 leagues....my mind is shot too.

Lol that was indeed my point.

Headache.

Just said hes planning to play. Which I am facing Gurley and I will take that all day. He will play probably a quarter or two and they will go up 21-0 Im helpless Cards and then they pull him. Best case scenario for anyone facing Gurley

As a Todd Gurley owner with Kelly handcuffed what can we realistically expect from Kelly?

Let's assume the following...

-McVay decides to rest Gurley and makes him inactive.

-Backup Justin Davis (hurt last game) is not able to play and also inactive.

-John Kelly and CJ Anderson are both active but CJA was only signed a few days ago. How many snaps could he possibly see?

Where would Kelly realistically be ranked in this possible scenario? I'd have to assume given the matchup and the offense he's in he's a top 25 option at RB. Would he be an immediate start over guys like Ware, Jamaal and Damien Williams, Jordan Howard, etc who are all probably around that range? Kelly had an outstanding preseason albeit against second and third stringers.

If Gurly and Davis sit, I believe Kelly will get the first crack at it, since he has been on the team all year and knows the system....and if he is effective, could dominate touches in a dream matchup. In that scenario, CJ might get 5-8 touches on vanilla plays.

However, if Kelly where to stumble and be ineffective early, then CJ could get a lot of burn if he has success with his opportunities. Tough fantasy situation.

I really think Anderson gets enough work in to upset Kelly stats

Kelly fits the Gurley mold easily the best , not only a physical RB but also a solid pass catcher....no doubt he is the back to own if Gurley is out....Anderson is merely insurance RB depth behind Kelly & Davis and likely will be cut when Gurley is 100%.......

Remember last year how aggressive McVay was on resting guys down the stretch? I think he rested everyone week 17 and some in 16. I think Gurley sits. And then its wheels up for John Kelly

Rams want first round bye with homefield advantage. Had they won last week,I believe Gurleys usage would be minimal. Not to say if they jump out with a 3-4 td lead by halftime,they would pull him. Bottom line,the closer the game is,Gurley will be in it all. They get a substantial lead..Gurley is out! My 2¢

C.J. Anderson will reportedly be the first running back off the bench behind Todd Gurley on Sunday.

Advice: "You can see [Anderson] playing a role as early as this week," coach Sean McVay said. "Really impressed just being around him in the initial 24 hours, or whatever it's been." This type of conjecture would normally be tossed out and left to rot as coach-speak, but McVay specifically mentioned his offensive scheme wasn't all that different from Anderson's previous offenses. As it stands, Gurley is expected to suit up without getting a single practice in. We expect Anderson and sixth-round rookie John Kelly to be active, too, all perhaps getting involved against the Cardinals on Sunday.

More: TheRams.com

(Rotoworld.com)

Man I wish there were afternoon options...i picked up both Kelly and CJ But in case Gurley goes...there isn't squat on the wire

Kinda starting to lean towards CJ, if Gurly doesn't go. Someone is gonna eat against the Cards, and I want in on it.

CJ is a trustworthy veteran, and catches the ball nicely outta the backfield. In fact, he blew up last year in week 16, and helped me win a title....and you just know that he would ball out to try to attract some attention for next season. Can we have a repeat?

Man I wish there were afternoon options...i picked up both Kelly and CJ But in case Gurley goes...there isn't squat on the wire

god...my other options to go with in afternoon Monday games would be Darrell Williams and Royce Freeman

From Rams beat reporter...

If Todd Gurley is unable to go Sunday, it is expected that CJ Anderson will start, and John Kelly will backup. Justin Davis is questionable to play. Malcolm Brown is on IR.

ESPN story

So... Something is not quite right with Kelly if he can't start over an afterthought

My guess is he may not yet be trusted in pass pro, but it is purely a guess, I haven't seen him play

If so they don't want to risk the franchise/season to pick up a couple of Y.P.C.

A trade off many coaches make.......

It has to be the pass protection angle which is what rookie RB's struggle with most when entering the league. Why else would it be possible for a player McVay hand picked to draft, shined in the preseason, and has been with the team all year get jumped on the depth chart by a plodding veteran RB who has already been cut by two teams this season and was just signed days ago?

I will wait until Sunday and see if Schefter or a Rams beat reporter comes out with anything more definitive. As juicy as this match up may be, this is Week 16 not Week 6 so I just can't see how anyone can risk playing such an unknown in Kelly with everything that's come out in the last 24 hours. At this point, unless something changes I'm either going to play Gurley or stay far away from the unknowns here and play a suddenly and surprisingly decent Jordan Howard.

It has to be the pass protection angle which is what rookie RB's struggle with most when entering the league. Why else would it be possible for a player McVay hand picked to draft, shined in the preseason, and has been with the team all year get jumped on the depth chart by a plodding veteran RB who has already been cut by two teams this season and was just signed days ago?

I will wait until Sunday and see if Schefter or a Rams beat reporter comes out with anything more definitive. As juicy as this match up may be, this is Week 16 not Week 6 so I just can't see how anyone can risk playing such an unknown in Kelly with everything that's come out in the last 24 hours. At this point, unless something changes I'm either going to play Gurley or stay far away from the unknowns here and play a suddenly and surprisingly decent Jordan Howard.

If Gurly is out, roll out CJ....

I just picked up CJ as well. Mostly to block my opponent. I dont think I would start either over Samuels @ NO, D Williams @ SEA or J Williams @ NYJ

Conspiracy theory...these beat writers must be going against Gurley in their championship rounds. If Gurley sits...Kelly is up. Heck start CJ as a flex...both backs will get 100 yards on 'ZONA!

My guess is he may not yet be trusted in pass pro, but it is purely a guess, I haven't seen him play

If so they don't want to risk the franchise/season to pick up a couple of Y.P.C.

A trade off many coaches make.......

that is absolutely my guess too. Anderson has lots of tape of him in pass pro. Kelly does not. I

If Gurly is out, roll out CJ....

I might do just that over Mike Evans :shocking:

Problem is they are an afternoon game. 11 of the 16 games are today or 12 PM starts.

So if you gamble on CJ over someone like fournette...and right before the rams game its Gurley or they say Kelly gets the snaps you are kinda screwed.