Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

1st Year Points Only League: Liking It…..Your Thoughts ?

For the 1st time since I started the league in 2006, this year I decided to change it up a little, & make it a points only league.
I'm not posting this to start a debate between head to head loyalists & the other side, but I suppose it could end up in one.
(Keep in mind that I'm biased, because I'm in 1st place by a comfortable margin with 2 weeks to go)
Here's the positives I see.
1: It definitely lessons the chance of any type of collusion between owners.
2: Everyone gets to play all 17 weeks.
3: Fun to watch the stat tracker (especially very early in the year when everybody's bunched up) & see a team go from last to 1st as a result of one huge play!
4: This is probably where the argument will start, but I think it's superior to head to head because IMO, a teams ultimate goal, is to score as many points as possible every week. Consistency is king, & the chance of a team making the playoffs because he just happened to get lucky with the matchup’s, & vice versa, another team missing the playoffs because he had lots of weeks where his opponent scored their highest total of the year, is eliminated.
5: As the commissioner, points only makes my job easier. For example, the situation below, where the last place guy started leaving empty roster spots. In a head-to-head league, he might be in last place, but play a team who is tied with another for the last play-off position in week 13. That would give the team playing him an advantage, & the other team would be screaming bloody murder at me to fill the positions.
The negatives:
1: The guy in last place had fallen way behind by week 13, & left a couple players who were inactive in his lineup. But he did have Derek Henry slotted in, & when he went off for like 47 points week 14, it revitalized him & he's now fighting to get out of last place. Although once again, because it's a points only league, he was only hurting himself when he left those positions empty.
2: I know a large % of people love head to head because of the bragging rights/smack talk that can go along with it, & probably wouldn't even play if it was a points only league.
(After the seasons over, I'll contact all team owners & let them vote on whether they want to continue with points only, or go back to head to head)

The issue with Total Points is that things get decided really early. I see it all the time in my baseball league, and it would have happened the last two years in football too.

With H2H there's always a chance if you make the playoffs for something cool to happen.

Imo, the best way to handle things is to split the prize money (if that's a part of your league) between most points and H2H championship winner. With other prizes as you see fit (H2H runner up, consolation bracket winner, etc).

I play in four leagues all four have both.

Head to head plus total points.

Total points goes the full season.

Two ways to win so even if the best scoring team is out of the ship for head to head, they can still win total points.

I think if it’s a loyal league with owners that do care it will keep more owners involved.

• Like 2

The issue with Total Points is that things get decided really early. I see it all the time in my baseball league, and it would have happened the last two years in football too.

With H2H there's always a chance if you make the playoffs for something cool to happen.

Imo, the best way to handle things is to split the prize money (if that's a part of your league) between most points and H2H championship winner. With other prizes as you see fit (H2H runner up, consolation bracket winner, etc).

"The issue with Total Points is that things get decided really early"

Good point, & one I should've included in the negative list.

Like the idea of the alternative you offered. Will talk to the other team owners & see if they'd be interested in something like that next year.

Thanks for your input!

I play in four leagues all four have both.

Head to head plus total points.

Total points goes the full season.

Two ways to win so even if the best scoring team is out of the ship for head to head, they can still win total points.

I think if it’s a loyal league with owners that do care it will keep more owners involved.

Very interesting. I'll talk it over with the other teams and see what they think for next year.

Thanks for your input!

I'm sure some people like total points but I find it too boring week to week. I enjoy having specific players to dislike every week. I like my league that rewards a win for h2h and top half of scoring teams for that week.

I'm sure some people like total points but I find it too boring week to week. I enjoy having specific players to dislike every week. I like my league that rewards a win for h2h and top half of scoring teams for that week.

Agree, & love that episode of Seinfeld

With a total points (rotisserie) league, by week 6 or 7 you already know who's going to win so at least half the league checks out. Not cool.

With H2H, every team has a fighting chance, especially if you have divisions. Keeps everyone involved up until the end of the regular season.

In two total points leagues, one since 2004. I think three times that league has been decided by week 15. Last year three different teams held first place at some point in the 4 PM games in Week 17. The only thing that may be decided before week 10 is the absolute bottom teams being dead (though this happens in H2H as well if you start, say, 2-7 in a four team playoff format). I do think having a separate pot for weekly high scores is a good idea to keep those teams interested.

I did points only for the first few years of playing fantasy football back in the 90s. It was a fun way to get introduced to the game. It's like a push button fishing reel. Thought it was the best thing in the world till I found the open face.

So basically, points only is good for the Commissioner and the first place team only. I'll pass.

So basically, points only is good for the Commissioner and the first place team only. I'll pass.

Not exactly

1st Place Wins 3 x the entry fee

2nd gets 2x

3rd gets the entry fee back

I think a total points regular season followed by HTH playoff sounds like the most fun. Or at least restart the points for the playoffs

Has anyone done a 16 week H2H regular season with no playoffs?

This is something im considering. There is growing discontent with the randomness of the playoffs...we have the 5 and 6 seeds playing for a title this yr and in 17 seasons the first place reg season winner has won the league playoffs twice.

I haven't read everyone's posts but I started FF slightly before you did. We did the opposite, money only to those in 1st and 2nd, after the ship. It's worked. But it still only limits the league to 2 winners, or 3 if 3rd gets money back. This year we changed it. Money to 1st and 2nd points (through week 14, reg season(, 1st and 2nd record (week 14), then 1st and 2nd place. If you're a good player, you'll win most, if not all. But it, at least, pays out to those that might have lost the championship but still beat everyone points wise or record wise. And tbh, this year has been the most fun because it doesn't give the ultimate reward to the team that took the ship (if they went on a lucky run). It's rewarding to the teams that played the best FF in all. Again, if you're good, you'll win most if not all. I usually take most points but this year i took best record and I'm in the ship. Other years I've been the best FF player, most points scored, but missed the ship off a bad week.

So, imo, these payouts work best . Not all teams should be able to run through week 16 or 17, imo. That's like march madness, inviting everyone in. But payouts to top points does give those that don't make the playoffs a shot. Then to best record and then the top $ to the actual championship winner.

50/50 (yes, like a raffle)

12 Teams x $100 ea. ($1,200 prize pool)

$600 to Team with most points (REG Season only)

$300 1st

$200 2nd

$100 3rd

Has anyone done a 16 week H2H regular season with no playoffs?

This is something im considering. There is growing discontent with the randomness of the playoffs...we have the 5 and 6 seeds playing for a title this yr and in 17 seasons the first place reg season winner has won the league playoffs twice.

Did this a few seasons ago in one league, added also a total points payout.

We did it with a 14 week season, to eliminate players missing games due to having nothing to play for.

I liked it, I like head to head but not the playoff situation, but this type of system is a better way to eliminate that and keep head to head important.

We use VP (value point) scoring.

12 teams play head to head every week. (So 6 games). With the winner getting 2 points.

Then the top 4 scoring teams for the week also get 2 points.

Teams that scored 5 through 8 get 1 point.

The top 6 VP scoring teams make the playoffs, with the top 2 getting a bye week.

It's actually one of the old antsports scoring (there's a blast from the past) systems that they use, or used.

We liked it, so we kept it going when we moved to MFL many moons ago.

Good stuff, Kopy. I like nerdy formats like that. Anything to get away from H2H only. It is tough to get folks to bite off on those types of formats sometimes, but people generally enjoy the nuance once they figure it out.

I've cried and crowed a lot about not liking H2H only, but I am not a big fan of total points only either. I am guilty of only trying it once in a league with some wild variance in scoring (defenses could win you a league if they scored TDs and QBs were OP). Maybe I'm a snob? Sorry!

As mentioned above, in Total Points Only. you are begging the teams that fall behind to 'lose interest' / 'soft quit'. And that 'soft quit' stuff ruins most free agency setups because everyone isn't trying at the same clip to pick up obviously viable free agents each week. It DOES give the highest scoring team the win guaranteed. But I am a sucker for the weekly element of fantasy football, so I always want to keep that in any season-long league I'm in.

I think the best league setup is the 1-5 seeds are set by win loss record, and then the 6th and final seed is determined by most points scored among the remaining teams. That way the #1 scoring team always makes it. But taking away H2H takes away a lot of the fun.

I'm biased, sorry, but I think the system we set up in my keeper league is the best. LOL I posted it in the "tie-breaker" thread someone posted. We never have to deal with tie-breakers because they don't really exist. That system incorporates head-to-head, total points, and league record. The playoffs include 4 teams in each of the first 2 rounds to where people want to be a top 2 scorer of the week. Only in the last week is there head-to-head for the championship. My home league is 10-teams. After telling people about our system, I know of at least 7 other leagues who have switched to this system and like it way more than their previous setup.

The problem with points only leagues is that you increase the chances of teams quitting by week 8, 9, 10 - what have you. You also increase the chance of a team quitting by week 5. Every year, every league I'm in has at least 1 or 2 teams that started out of the gates really slow. If those leagues were points only leagues, it would essentially have turned 12 team leagues into 10 team leagues after just a handful of weeks. By week 8, you essentially have an 8 team league and every week after that, the number dwindles. In a way, you're basically creating an elimination league and not a fantasy league. As the league goes, more and more teams will lose interest as less and less teams have a legit shot to win. In every league I've ever been in, by week 10, only 2 or 3 teams have a chance to be the top scoring team. Why do you, at week 10, want a league that has 12 teams but only 3 teams being active? Makes no sense to me.

Points only leagues are pretty much for people with big ego's who think that they're smarter than everyone else. People who believe that fantasy football is primarily a game of skill and not luck. Every league that I've ever heard of that is a points only league, has always had a big ownership turnover. I've never heard of one that had the same owners in it for more than 3 years.

The problem with points only leagues is that you increase the chances of teams quitting by week 8, 9, 10 - what have you. You also increase the chance of a team quitting by week 5. Every year, every league I'm in has at least 1 or 2 teams that started out of the gates really slow. If those leagues were points only leagues, it would essentially have turned 12 team leagues into 10 team leagues after just a handful of weeks. By week 8, you essentially have an 8 team league and every week after that, the number dwindles. In a way, you're basically creating an elimination league and not a fantasy league. As the league goes, more and more teams will lose interest as less and less teams have a legit shot to win. In every league I've ever been in, by week 10, only 2 or 3 teams have a chance to be the top scoring team. Why do you, at week 10, want a league that has 12 teams but only 3 teams being active? Makes no sense to me.

Points only leagues are pretty much for people with big ego's who think that they're smarter than everyone else. People who believe that fantasy football is primarily a game of skill and not luck. Every league that I've ever heard of that is a points only league, has always had a big ownership turnover. I've never heard of one that had the same owners in it for more than 3 years.

Great post!!! This is exactly how I feel.

Agree about a points only league.

Leagues I’m in we went to a points system of both, Head to Head , plus a full 17 week total points system.

Plus money is a big factor, leagues I’m in you pay for your weekly total points postion.

If your in the top four in total points for the week in both my two 12 teamers and 14 teamers you either win money or end up even, after forth place, fifth and beyond you pay.

That alway keeps people more involved, they don’t want to part with that ex Christmas money.

So I’m still active this weekend and so is all the other owners.

Hey great post once again TB.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

:rolleyes:

That definitely isn't the kind of comment someone who thinks he is smarter than everyone else would make.

I'm in two total points leagues, one that is strictly points full season, a second that is points only for the regular season, then has a three week playoff starting with 8 teams, top four scorers in week 14 advance, top two in week 15, and obviously the last week is effectively had to head. The first league has run 15 years with one ownership change. The second 8 years with two owners replaced. In my head to head league, 4 times in 8 seasons a team that was top three in points has failed to make the 8 team playoffs. I understand why people wouldn't care for strictly total points, but strictly head to head (in a fantasy game where you have no control over your opponent's performance) is at least as asinine.

:rolleyes:

That definitely isn't the kind of comment someone who thinks he is smarter than everyone else would make.

I'm in two total points leagues, one that is strictly points full season, a second that is points only for the regular season, then has a three week playoff starting with 8 teams, top four scorers in week 14 advance, top two in week 15, and obviously the last week is effectively had to head. The first league has run 15 years with one ownership change. The second 8 years with two owners replaced. In my head to head league, 4 times in 8 seasons a team that was top three in points has failed to make the 8 team playoffs. I understand why people wouldn't care for strictly total points, but strictly head to head (in a fantasy game where you have no control over your opponent's performance) is at least as asinine.

No, it isn't. In the leagues that I have consistently been in (4), over the last 20 years, I've won (probably more than), my fair share of championships and I am in no way smarter than anyone else. All of my leagues have very good and active owners and have been together virtually the entire times. The ONLY separation among us, all boils down to luck - not "skill".

"Leagues that use a different format than the one I prefer are for people with big egos who think they are smarter than everyone else".

• Like 1

No, it isn't. In the leagues that I have consistently been in (4), over the last 20 years, I've won (probably more than), my fair share of championships and I am in no way smarter than anyone else. All of my leagues have very good and active owners and have been together virtually the entire times. The ONLY separation among us, all boils down to luck - not "skill".

Luck favors the prepared.

• Like 1

Did a league this year that has 12 teams

1st playoff team was best record

2nd playoff team was top total points

3rd playoff team was next best record

4th playoff team was next top total points

They were taken in that order down the standings.

Playoffs start with your average Points Per Week during regular season. Then add the next 3 weeks to that number, and winners are based on total points after Week 16.

Ah, Gordon and Ekeler owners disagree openly. Luck is a factor. It is just isnt the only factor..folks tend to go on tilt and say its all silly and lucky when they have bad luck.

Merry Christmas folks. Enjoy yourselves.

Did a league this year that has 12 teams

1st playoff team was best record

2nd playoff team was top total points

3rd playoff team was next best record

4th playoff team was next top total points

They were taken in that order down the standings.

Playoffs start with your average Points Per Week during regular season. Then add the next 3 weeks to that number, and winners are based on total points after Week 16.

Problem I have with this, is good teams being left out, and it opens it up to underperforming teams to make the playoffs.

Leagues I’m in we do both h to h plus a total points, but we don’t combine them to see you makes the playoffs. That’s just based on h to h.

It’s interesting and it’s not a knock, but just my comment.

Merry Christmas

IMO total points work best as side action to the real league. the interpersonal energy of H2H is part of what keeps FF engaging throughout the entire season.

There's some owners who will half-arse it no matter what the format is. I have stories: a recent one involves a dude in a 2-week final starting Golden Tate in week 15 instead of picking up Damien Williams and starting him. He wasn't paying attention to the injuries so he missed that Ware was out on the THURSDAY game, so he missed the pickup. And of course this angered the fantasy gods. SO OF COURSE HE LOST by slightly less than the amount of points Williams would've had over Tate because DUH!

Anyway, other folks will quit if anyone in their first 5 rounds worth of picks rolls an ankle. Others just can't do it for 16 weeks. The dream for a long-time league is finding a format that works for your league and going from there with trying keep things competitive (and fun).

Luck favors the prepared.

Swap schedules with every team in your league and let me know what the results are. In every league I'm in (4), I vary between 5-8 and 9-4. Skill has nothing to do with that, it's 100% luck (be it good or bad). If you finish 9-4 with a specific roster / point total, but could have been 5-8 had you had someone else's schedule, that doesn't mean you are a prepared player in one aspect and a fool in the other. It just means you were lucky enough to play the right people at the right time.

Swap schedules with every team in your league and let me know what the results are. In every league I'm in (4), I vary between 5-8 and 9-4. Skill has nothing to do with that, it's 100% luck (be it good or bad). If you finish 9-4 with a specific roster / point total, but could have been 5-8 had you had someone else's schedule, that doesn't mean you are a prepared player in one aspect and a fool in the other. It just means you were lucky enough to play the right people at the right time.

Luck is a huge part of it, but it's not 100% luck like you're claiming. Being prepared, doing your research and staying on top of the WW will put you in positions to win just about every time.

I've been playing in the same league for 19 years and I've made he league playoffs 15 times and won the championship 3 times. That's not 100% luck - I've put my self in the position to win every year. I'm not saying luck doesn't play a part, but 100%? Get outta' here! ;)

Luck is a huge part of it, but it's not 100% luck like you're claiming. Being prepared, doing your research and staying on top of the WW will put you in positions to win just about every time.

I've been playing in the same league for 19 years and I've made he league playoffs 15 times and won the championship 3 times. That's not 100% luck - I've put my self in the position to win every year. I'm not saying luck doesn't play a part, but 100%? Get outta' here! ;)

You certainly can improve your chances, as you said, through being prepared and WW and alike... but in the end, you don't play defense and you can't control who your opponent is and how many points he puts up. If you're in a competitive league, then virtually every owner in your league is as active as you are. So, in the end, luck is what makes you better by virtue of who you play and when.

For example, let's say you're 13-0 and #1 in points, but in the second round of the playoffs, you play against someone who has a monster week and beats you... then in the 3rd place game, it happens again. The net result is that you had the best record, the most points, and no money because you're league doesn't pay the 4th place team. How much of that is luck, being 13-0 and with no points and no money, and how much of that is skill? To note, in all my years playing, I've seen that happen a number of times.

You know what else I've seen a number of times? Teams that are 6-7 being one of the 3 lowest scoring teams in the league, getting the 6th playoff spot and having turds put up monster numbers for the first time all year (see Derrick Henry as an example), and carrying that to the championship over guys who used to have Kareem Hunt or who played without Todd Gurley. How much of that is skill and how much of that is luck?

You certainly can improve your chances, as you said, through being prepared and WW and alike... but in the end, you don't play defense and you can't control who your opponent is and how many points he puts up. If you're in a competitive league, then virtually every owner in your league is as active as you are. So, in the end, luck is what makes you better by virtue of who you play and when.

For example, let's say you're 13-0 and #1 in points, but in the second round of the playoffs, you play against someone who has a monster week and beats you... then in the 3rd place game, it happens again. The net result is that you had the best record, the most points, and no money because you're league doesn't pay the 4th place team. How much of that is luck, being 13-0 and with no points and no money, and how much of that is skill? To note, in all my years playing, I've seen that happen a number of times.

You know what else I've seen a number of times? Teams that are 6-7 being one of the 3 lowest scoring teams in the league, getting the 6th playoff spot and having turds put up monster numbers for the first time all year (see Derrick Henry as an example), and carrying that to the championship over guys who used to have Kareem Hunt or who played without Todd Gurley. How much of that is skill and how much of that is luck?

All I'm saying is that it's not 100% luck like you're claiming. I agree with a lot of what you say.