Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

If you owned the TN Titans...

What would you do with Marcus M? I don't see him as a franchise QB, but who would replace him? For that matter, when would they draft high enough to even make trading up for a QB a realistic possibility? Paying him on par with even the Andy Dalton's of the NFL isn't a great idea, in my opinion, but how do you get around this?

So, if you're the team owner, what would YOU do? I would attempt to trade him. If I couldn't, I would NOT sign him to a long term deal.

Cut ties. Unless he doesnt want a big deal. But just like Dalton you mentioned....you are just sitting in limbo for years.

Mariota isnt that good and appears to be very fragile.

It is much better to have a top 5 pick most years. But as seen recently they can be had midish first.

Mahomes was 11. Watson was a couple after. Guys like Allen Rosen and Lamar were traded up to the bottom 10 or mid first to get.

Depends what they want. Are they good enough to bring in an Alex Smith type and have some fun? I think so. Redskins traded for Alex Smith and were atop of the division for the 1st half of the year.

If they want a franchise 10 year guy they you obviously have to take a stand and take a guy who is there bewteen 12-20 or make the leap of faith and move up into the top 10.

QBs generally dont take as long as they used to take to develop. And the money is now slotted and under control. It isnt as hard to dump a 1st round QB and draft another as people make it out to be.

Titans need to look at the draft.

Historical data shows that about 50% of QBs drafted top 5 pan out. QBs selected out of the top 5 in round 1 since 2000 have a 15% chance (4/26) of panning out, which has been seriously upped by the emergence of Mahomes and Watson. Prior to Mahomes and Watson the numbers were 8% (2/24). When you drop down into round 2 or later, its about 1 in 30 pan out. The worst thing to do is look at 2017 as the standard of expectations. 2017 was a severe outlier when it comes to QB drafts.

2000 Pennington

2001 n/a

2002 Ramsey

2003 Leftwich, Boller, Grossman

2004 Roethlisberger, Losman

2005 Rodgers, Campbell

2006 Leinart, Cutler

2007 Quinn

2008 Flacco

2009 Freeman

2010 Tebow

2011 Locker, Gabbert, Ponder

2012 Tannehill, Weeden

2013 Manuel

2014 Manziel, Bridgewater

2015 n/a

2016 Lynch

2017 Mahomes, Watson

This also assumes Mahomes and/or Watson aren't one year wonders and do not collapse next season.

If you want to find a QB, the best approach is to keep drafting them in the top 5.

I think the biggest problem with Mariota is his injury problems.

But I think he’s on a team that is and as been very limited at big time playmakers.

Henry as been one lately, but they need him the whole season.

I think Mariota could be a good starting nfl Qb on the right system, with lots of help around him, right now he has very little help,expecally at the wr postion.

I do agree keep drafting one.

Historical data shows that about 50% of QBs drafted top 5 pan out. QBs selected out of the top 5 in round 1 since 2000 have a 15% chance (4/26) of panning out, which has been seriously upped by the emergence of Mahomes and Watson. Prior to Mahomes and Watson the numbers were 8% (2/24). When you drop down into round 2 or later, its about 1 in 30 pan out. The worst thing to do is look at 2017 as the standard of expectations. 2017 was a severe outlier when it comes to QB drafts.

2000 Pennington

2001 n/a

2002 Ramsey

2005 Rodgers, Campbell

2006 Leinart, Cutler

2007 Quinn

2008 Flacco

2009 Freeman

2010 Tebow

2012 Tannehill, Weeden

2013 Manuel

2015 n/a

2016 Lynch

2017 Mahomes, Watson

This also assumes Mahomes and/or Watson aren't one year wonders and do not collapse next season.

If you want to find a QB, the best approach is to keep drafting them in the top 5.

Flacco and Cutler aren't exactly HOFers, but it's hard to argue being a starting QB for 10+ years isn't panning out.

I would dump him asap. He is Tim tebow. A product of the system and the ONLY way he was ever going to be productive was to have chip Kelly as a coach. That was it. The Titans would be a much better team had they took the eagles up on their absurd trade package offer for him.

Sign Mariota long term, he is a stud. He has just had some bad luck with injuries.

Stud? Technically, a "stud" animal is one retained for breeding. Let's put Mariotta out to pasture and let him procreate.

Interesting... What fee would u charge Marcus to impregnate your significant other?

2000 Pennington

2001 n/a

2002 Ramsey

2005 Rodgers, Campbell

2006 Leinart, Cutler

2007 Quinn

2008 Flacco

2009 Freeman

2010 Tebow

2012 Tannehill, Weeden

2013 Manuel

2015 n/a

2016 Lynch

2017 Mahomes, Watson

jared Goff?

Interesting... What fee would u charge Marcus to impregnate your significant other?

like most all stud services you would have to pay him

jared Goff?

he was the #1 pick this is about QB not taken with a top 5 pick

I'm not sure why they don't use Taywan Taylor more. Every time I watch this kid (granted, it's not much). But he seems like a really good player with some serious upside.

I'm not sure why they don't use Taywan Taylor more. Every time I watch this kid (granted, it's not much). But he seems like a really good player with some serious upside.

Coaches suck. They can't understand the simple concept that their best players should get the ball often

Sign Mariota long term, he is a stud. He has just had some bad luck with injuries.

More like a gelding, to be honest.

Avoid a long term contract and draft a Developmental qB in a later round. Bring in a vet to compete as well. See how it goes.

that's not how the NFL works now. The developmental qb goes at the end of round 1.

I would dump him asap. He is Tim tebow. A product of the system and the ONLY way he was ever going to be productive was to have chip Kelly as a coach. That was it. The Titans would be a much better team had they took the eagles up on their absurd trade package offer for him.

This opinion was brought to you by a bitter Cougar or Huskie fan who Mariota beat up on both teams as a Duck.

I'm a Titans fan. The Titans forum is in a war about mm8 right now. A few fanboys (mostly guys from Oregon who came to the site when he got drafted) blame everything but him.

Most of us want to move on. But as this thread asks, how?

Bridgewater has been bandied about. Foles. T Taylor. These are stopgaps

Some advocate outright tanking next season. Others want to try to trade our 2019 first for a first in 2020, to stockpile ammo in what looks like a good QB class.

Of course, the draft is in Nashville in 2019. Will be pressured to make that pick I would think.

Honestly, I think we have to find a guy we believe in, and trade whatever it takes to move up to get him. I'd love to see a huge trade in the 2019 draft to that effect, but 2020 seems more likely.

This opinion was brought to you by a bitter Cougar or Huskie fan who Mariota beat up on both teams as a Duck.

not even close. As a duck he was a great qb in a great system. As a Titan he is overmatched and injured routinely

I think it makes sense to ride him on more year. I think he could still be a good enough QB for NFL purposes but he's never going to be a top 10-15 guy. There's no way to replace him this year unless you're going to go up and get Haskins and that's going to take a lot of capital because this year's QB class is so weak.

I just don't see any of the potential free agents a long term solution.

The 2020 class will be much better with Tua, Hebert, and a number of other potential talents who could emerge

https://www.12up.com/posts/6256687-2020-qb-draft-class-is-suddenly-insanely-stacked

I think it makes sense to ride him on more year. I think he could still be a good enough QB for NFL purposes but he's never going to be a top 10-15 guy. There's no way to replace him this year unless you're going to go up and get Haskins and that's going to take a lot of capital because this year's QB class is so weak.

I just don't see any of the potential free agents a long term solution.

The 2020 class will be much better with Tua, Hebert, and a number of other potential talents who could emerge

https://www.12up.com/posts/6256687-2020-qb-draft-class-is-suddenly-insanely-stacked

I agree here, even though I think they should no doubt move on.

I dont understand why these teams hang onto middling at best QBs. Not to mention this one who is very fragile yet runs.

But you have to be smart about it and do it thr better QB year. Unless of course you love one this year.

They have a decent team of they could get with the times of the forward pass.