Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Friend has decided to drink himself to death.

Left his family (2 kids), moved back into his parent's house after his dad died last year, 300 miles away, to do the deed. I knew when he left what his plan was going to be. Called me drunk the other night to tell me he was diagnosed with cirrhosis. Many fun adventures with him over the years and I think I am the last friend he has. Not really sure there is anything I can do.

Maybe the drunks here have some advice.

The only advice I can give you is to cut him out of your life. But, not because you dont care. Because you do care. You cant help people who dont want to help themselves. Im in recovery and it is something I have to consciously work at every single day. Every time I lose focus of my sobriety, I fall back off the wagon. Which as Im sure many of you know, Ive done several times over the last 5 years. Probably close to 10 times if Im being honest.

• Like 1

It might be worth contacting an AA branch close to where he is currently living. I know they used to do stuff like this all the time back in the day but am unsure if they would still go to someone's house to talk to them.

You can't talk someone out of being an alcoholic and if the only time he calls you is when he's drunk, it's kind of pointless to even talk to him. Hopefully, he finds his bottom before he dies.

There are lots of guys with drinking problems here. Digby always seems to be drunk or on his way.

This guy is a beer drinker (the 7% stuff). 30-40 a day. He obviously leans toward depression.

Jesus focking Christ

Asking the hard hitting questions.

So is he?

If you want to reference "timmysmith's drunk friend", I'll keep you posted. I am pretty sure that if he keeps up his current pace, he won't see 2020.

hes gonna have to step up the hard stuff. beer is a self-limiting approach. Between the peeing and the passing out, it's an almost sisyphean task.

Usually, drunks get themselves in trouble with the hard stuff, can't handle the liver shots and pancreatitis anymore from booze, so settle back down to beer. that's a better way to do it.

It's the difference between the death of a thousand cuts and, slashing your jugular before jumping off the stool.

(slashing jugular - being hard stuff to point of puking up your stomach lining)

(jumping off the stool - THEN drinking yourself to death with beer)

- But I guess you didnt' come here looking for that kind of advice..

Wanna get him to quit? Stop by all concerned and whatnot. Even have a few beers with him.

Then when he goes to pee, there's a drug they give hard core alkies (can't remember) that makes them sick as a dog if they even sip a beer/booze. Slip that into his beer.

He'll thinking twice and three times.

Now, what was the name of that stuff again? Dammitt.

FWIW, I figure as long as he's not hurting anybody, not selling Mom's insulin to buy the beer, then fock it. Life if a yoke thrown upon our shoulders - some guys chose to spit the bit.

This guy is a beer drinker (the 7% stuff). 30-40 a day. He obviously leans toward depression.

Geez, what's he killing himself with microbrews? Expensive way to go.

• Like 1

What!? That has to be a severe exaggeration. Ill spot him a 12 pack a day.

Tell him to buy a flight to Thailand or Colombia and get an Airbnb for a month or two.. At least go out banging brown skin girls half his age doing massive amounts of blow.

The ole leaving Las Vegas. Sounds like he can't even do this right.

hes gonna have to step up the hard stuff. beer is a self-limiting approach. Between the peeing and the passing out, it's an almost sisyphean task.

Usually, drunks get themselves in trouble with the hard stuff, can't handle the liver shots and pancreatitis anymore from booze, so settle back down to beer. that's a better way to do it.

It's the difference between the death of a thousand cuts and, slashing your jugular before jumping off the stool.

(slashing jugular - being hard stuff to point of puking up your stomach lining)

(jumping off the stool - THEN drinking yourself to death with beer)

- But I guess you didnt' come here looking for that kind of advice..

Wanna get him to quit? Stop by all concerned and whatnot. Even have a few beers with him.

Then when he goes to pee, there's a drug they give hard core alkies (can't remember) that makes them sick as a dog if they even sip a beer/booze. Slip that into his beer.

He'll thinking twice and three times.

Now, what was the name of that stuff again? Dammitt.

FWIW, I figure as long as he's not hurting anybody, not selling Mom's insulin to buy the beer, then fock it. Life if a yoke thrown upon our shoulders - some guys chose to spit the bit.

Antibuse

Ask Shotsup.

If he goes the OD on heroin route you'll be the geek to call on.

Anyone heard from BB lately? :unsure:

We’ve lost some good members this year. With Pen of course the latest tragedy.

We’ve lost some good members this year. With Pen of course the latest tragedy.

What? What happened to Penultimate?

He smartened up and left this hellhole

Most likely dead, hasn’t posted since dec 10. Only other explanation is he felt the pressure of me getting closer to exposing him as not a doctor and wisely skipped town. But that’s unlikely and a reach, so prob dead. Mountain climbing accident I’d guess.

You doubt beers per day, or abv?

Honestly I doubt both combined

On vacation I can easily drink 30/40 Miller lites per day but not 7.4 micro. Brews

Honestly I doubt both combined

On vacation I can easily drink 30/40 Miller lites per day but not 7.4 micro. Brews

I was wondering because beers per night is not unbelievable. Abv is hard to believe

Though 30-40 on a normal work evening is more than the usual severe alky, even considering the low abv levels. I have met my share of alkys, including my step dad who died of cirrhosis.

Anyone heard from BB lately? :unsure:

brief text on christmas.