Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Manhattan or New England?

new england.

if i want a tomato base, give me cioppino.

new england.

Ok I have a recipe. But, if you happen to have one. Could I get it?

Ok I have a recipe. But, if you happen to have one. Could I get it?

yeah....how soon do you need it. i'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment :D

1 qt canned, minced clams with juice

3/4 qt water

10 oz bacon slices, diced

1 med white or yellow onion (as finely diced as you can)

about 4 oz of flour

1 lb potatoes, peeled and small dice

1 1/4 qt milk, hot

1/2 c heavy cream, hot

s & p to taste

drain clams. save juice. combine juice and water into a sauce pan. bring to boil then reduce heat to keep warm. in heavy sauce pot render bacon over med heat. remove and set aside with slotted spoon. add onions to pork fat. sweat them (tender with no color). add enough flour to make roux (about 4 min)...don't want it brown. slowly whisk in clam juice/water mixture. bring to boil, whisking constantly (want the liquid smooth). add potatoes. simmer until tender. stir in clams, hot milk&cream, and bacon... heat gently but do not boil..... season.

gotta stir very frequently.... easy to burn the bottom of soups... and that can quickly ruin the whole batch.

can serve in sourdough bread boules... sprinkle with chopped parsley if you like.

• Like 1

yeah....how soon do you need it. i'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment :D

Haha you didnt have to give it right away. But I appreciate it. I got my recipe from this gay guy who shared his familys recipe. Havent made it yet but GOD does cioppino look delicious. And I need to try it

Haha you didnt have to give it right away. But I appreciate it. I got my recipe from this gay guy who shared his familys recipe. Havent made it yet but GOD does cioppino look delicious. And I need to try it

i thought i had posted a chowder recipe before and there it was. easy.

1 qt canned, minced clams with juice

3/4 qt water

10 oz bacon slices, diced

1 med white or yellow onion (as finely diced as you can)

about 4 oz of flour

1 lb potatoes, peeled and small dice

1 1/4 qt milk, hot

1/2 c heavy cream, hot

s & p to taste

drain clams. save juice. combine juice and water into a sauce pan. bring to boil then reduce heat to keep warm. in heavy sauce pot render bacon over med heat. remove and set aside with slotted spoon. add onions to pork fat. sweat them (tender with no color). add enough flour to make roux (about 4 min)...don't want it brown. slowly whisk in clam juice/water mixture. bring to boil, whisking constantly (want the liquid smooth). add potatoes. simmer until tender. stir in clams, hot milk&cream, and bacon... heat gently but do not boil..... season.

gotta stir very frequently.... easy to burn the bottom of soups... and that can quickly ruin the whole batch.

can serve in sourdough bread boules... sprinkle with chopped parsley if you like.

This is a NE recipe no ?

I see no tomatoe base only milk/cream base.

That said I never had bacon in my clam chowder!!!

Until tomorrow when I use this recipe!

Thanks BM

Yeah. Chowder.

I'll find a cioppino later.

• Like 1

Yeah. Chowder.

I'll find a cioppino later.

Thats what Im looking for. Thanks.

new england.

This

Chili is tomato based.

seemed like he was talking about seafood soups. i prefer cioppino to manhattan clam chowder. but .....

shrimp/crab/lobster bisque > NE clam chowder > cioppino/ bouillabaisse > manhattan clam chowder

seemed like he was talking about seafood soups. i prefer cioppino to manhattan clam chowder. but .....

shrimp/crab/lobster bisque > NE clam chowder > cioppino/ bouillabaisse > manhattan clam chowder

Ive got French Onion soup at the top - in a crock with the cheese melted and crusty over the top. Nom nom nom.

Ive got French Onion soup at the top - in a crock with the cheese melted and crusty over the top. Nom nom nom.

seafood soups amigo. i am a big fan of FO... had it on almost all of my menus. i believe i have posted one on here before....somewhere

Had lobster bisque last night at dinner. Would have preferred clam chowder. We have lots of places that have fresh clams and it is so much better than the canned stuff.

• Like 1

New England. Not even close.

Not a fan of chowder but havent tried Manhattan.

Red and Runny, smells like a fetid gash.

It's like day 3 of Aunt Flows

Monthly visit.

With Oyster Crackers.

I generally like New England, but theres a restaurant in my city called The Crab Cooker, that makes the best Manhattan. I think it has a little cream in it, because its more of a pinkish color. Its amazing and beats any New England Ive ever had. They make great smoked albacore too. Getting hungry thinking about it.

Red and Runny, smells like a fetid gash.

It's like day 3 of Aunt Flows

Monthly visit.

With Oyster Crackers.

Then you are making it wrong

I think manhattan has the better opportunity to be better. But NE is consistent. Wife and I go to this thing every year called night of a thousand candles at this huge garden/outside art exhibit at Christmas time. Christmas lights and candles everywhere. Anyway, they always have food to eat and one of them is a soup called inlet chowder. Extremely similar to Manhattan with the tomato base. But it is better than most NE style clam chowders Ive had. Havent had many Manhattan chowders so dont have a lot to go off of

I think manhattan has the better opportunity to be better.

:lol:

Maybe 10 years ago I had lunch at a place on the wharf in Newport RI, cup of clam chowder and a lobster roll. Top 5 all time lunches.

The problem with Manhattan is its usually WAAAAy overpriced, pretentious and tends to be a little too "jewy" for my tastes.

The problem with Manhattan is its usually WAAAAy overpriced, pretentious and tends to be a little too "jewy" for my tastes.

How is a soup "jewey" per se?

I just wanna know for when Im in Israel in a couple weeks.

How is a soup "jewey" per se?

I just wanna know for when Im in Israel in a couple weeks.

Wiffs funny bone broke while pretending he left this place. He’s saying Manhattan the city is Jewy, not the soup.

Wiffs funny bone broke while pretending he left this place. Hes saying Manhattan the city is Jewy, not the soup.

👍