Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Harper and Machado, what gives?

4 minutes ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

The only picture I am painting is that besides the Nats, no team has a dominant starting staff.  Very few teams have even 1 ACE, much less 2.  You guys act like its the Royals rotation, I get the hate for the Phillies, I dont like them either but I think they are a top 12 staff top to bottom

They could be, I haven't analyzed them from top to bottom.  But going up against the Nats and Braves starters 36 times is going to cost them wins.  The Mets staff is better also. It's a tough division.

Current odds to win the WS

Brewers and Rockies look interesting.  

New York Yankees 6/1
Boston Red Sox 7/1
Houston Astros 7/1
Los Angeles Dodgers 8/1
Chicago Cubs 10/1
Philadelphia Phillies 10/1
Cleveland Indians 12/1
St. Louis Cardinals 12/1
Atlanta Braves 16/1
Washington Nationals 16/1
Milwaukee Brewers 18/1
New York Mets 20/1
Oakland Athletics 30/1
Tampa Bay Rays 30/1
Colorado Rockies 40/1
Minnesota Twins 50/1
San Diego Padres 55/1
Chicago White Sox 60/1
Los Angeles Angels 60/1
Cincinnati Reds 70/1
San Francisco Giants 70/1
Pittsburgh Pirates 100/1
Arizona Diamondbacks 200/1
Seattle Mariners 250/1
Texas Rangers 350/1
Toronto Blue Jays 350/1
Kansas City Royals 500/1
Baltimore Orioles 1000/1
Detroit Tigers 1000/1
Miami Marlins 1000/

Phillies 10 to 1 :lol:

I guess there are more retarded filthy fans than we ever thought

2 hours ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

all you need is 1 stopper, Red Sox after Sale, their rotation sucked, and while Nola is no Sale, Pivetta, Arrieta, Velasquez and Eflin/De Los Santos are better then the next 4 on the Red Sox

you guys act like other than the Nats, there is a team with a dominant rotation that exists, Dodgers have Kershaw and Buehler, no other team has 2 legit aces, maybe the Tribe

Last year, as a staff, the Phillies ranked 19th in baseball in ERA, 14th in WHIP, 16th in opponent BA, 16th in opponent OPS, and 19th in runs allowed per game.  I ask you, what improvements did they make to their staff that is going to drop them down inside the top 10?  Dave Robertson is going to make that big of an impact?  Juan Nicasio?  José Álvarez?  I don't see it.

4 hours ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

Nola can go toe to toe with anyone

Pivetta and Arrieta are solid 2/3 guys

What Timmy said...  Pivetta is barely a #4 and Arrieta is barely a #3...

After Nola, they have nothing...

Yeah so, 13 years in Philadelphia? Not a chance this ends well. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Ruh Roh.  And so it begins with Bryce.  He is, who we all knew he would be.

Last 18 games.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=harpebr03&t=b&year=2019#932-949-sum:batting_gamelogs

It is a good thing that April is his best month career-wise...

I know it is only the first month of his 13-year contract, but I still think the Phillies messed up...

Just now, posty said:

I know it is only the first month of his 13-year contract, but I still think the Phillies messed up...

Their hitting (without Bryce) is way better than I thought it would be.  All the attention to him is already showing signs of cracks to him and the rest of the team.

However, the NL East is filled with solid starters and bad bullpens.  No one is going to run away with it.

WAR loves Manny's glove - comparison of the two of them offensively so far would give a slight edge to Harper, but in the field it''s Machado by a lot, through April  .8 to -.3.   Not that the fans care when he's blasting 500 foot HR's, but he's costing a team in the field half what brings to the plate.    

23 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Ruh Roh.  And so it begins with Bryce.  He is, who we all knew he would be.

Last 18 games.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=harpebr03&t=b&year=2019#932-949-sum:batting_gamelogs

Yesterday Harper got himself thrown out of the game in the 4th inning of a 2-1 game at the time. Phils go on to lose...

Guy makes like $185,000 per game this year and he can't keep his cool even 4 batters after he was rung up on strikes. Also almost wiped out on the steps when coming out the dugout to complain. 

Arrieta wasn't very happy as they went on to lose. 

1 minute ago, sderk said:

Yesterday Harper got himself thrown out of the game in the 4th inning of a 2-1 game at the time. Phils go on to lose...

Guy makes like $185,000 per game this year and he can't keep his cool even 4 batters after he was rung up on strikes. Also almost wiped out on the steps when coming out the dugout to complain. 

Arrieta wasn't very happy as they went on to lose. 

He had already K'ed once.  Trouble with Bryce, as it was in DC, is he goes up looking to walk on every AB.  Rarely swings at a pitch early in the count.  

10 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

He had already K'ed once.  Trouble with Bryce, as it was in DC, is he goes up looking to walk on every AB.  Rarely swings at a pitch early in the count.  

Throw in his attitude, and often times criticized lack of hustle on the bases, and that dude will self destruct if he doesn't get smart at some point. He will be rich, but sports fans are going to hold him now to a $300 million dollar standard. Philly fans don't have a good track record for being patient. 

18 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

WAR loves Manny's glove - comparison of the two of them offensively so far would give a slight edge to Harper, but in the field it''s Machado by a lot, through April  .8 to -.3.   Not that the fans care when he's blasting 500 foot HR's, but he's costing a team in the field half what brings to the plate.    

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/manny-machado-actually-ranks-as-worst-shortstop-in-mlb-in-2018/ar-AAzuxR5

14 minutes ago, Reality said:

He should be at 3rd, his range is an issue.  He's been solid so far this season but, we're what, 3 weeks in?

That article was written when he was playing for the lowly O's.  His Dwar went up dramatically with the Dodgers.  And yet his D stats actually went down with the Dodgers.  Dwar is a totally inexact science. 

The guy has proven to be a top shelf 3B, and that should continue.  I have always felt that range is way overrated. Too much outside of a players control goes into it.  What do you do with the balls hit to you? That's what I look at.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

That article was written when he was playing for the lowly O's.  His Dwar went up dramatically with the Dodgers.  And yet his D stats actually went down with the Dodgers.  Dwar is a totally inexact science. 

The guy has proven to be a top shelf 3B, and that should continue.  I have always felt that range is way overrated. Too much outside of a players control goes into it.  What do you do with the balls hit to you? That's what I look at.  

As long as he stays at 3rd, I agree.

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Not for 300 million

3 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Hmm.  I feel like range is extremely important for middle infielders.  Handling routine ground balls is expected at that level. Hasn't he been squawking about wanting to play SS? Or is that old news?

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

No one will ever be paid 300M for their glove.

but 300 million for a career .820 OPS is okay? 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:33 AM, vuduchile said:

Current odds to win the WS

Brewers and Rockies look interesting.  

New York Yankees 6/1
Boston Red Sox 7/1
Houston Astros 7/1
Los Angeles Dodgers 8/1
Chicago Cubs 10/1
Philadelphia Phillies 10/1
Cleveland Indians 12/1
St. Louis Cardinals 12/1
Atlanta Braves 16/1
Washington Nationals 16/1
Milwaukee Brewers 18/1
New York Mets 20/1
Oakland Athletics 30/1
Tampa Bay Rays 30/1
Colorado Rockies 40/1
Minnesota Twins 50/1
San Diego Padres 55/1
Chicago White Sox 60/1
Los Angeles Angels 60/1
Cincinnati Reds 70/1
San Francisco Giants 70/1
Pittsburgh Pirates 100/1
Arizona Diamondbacks 200/1
Seattle Mariners 250/1
Texas Rangers 350/1
Toronto Blue Jays 350/1
Kansas City Royals 500/1
Baltimore Orioles 1000/1
Detroit Tigers 1000/1
Miami Marlins 1000/

Interesting how this is breaking down again.

No team at 40/1 or worse wins the world series.  Usually the winner is somewhere in that 16/1-30/1 range.  And there are the Rays and Mets right in there.

1 hour ago, riversco said:

Interesting how this is breaking down again.

No team at 40/1 or worse wins the world series.  Usually the winner is somewhere in that 16/1-30/1 range.  And there are the Rays and Mets right in there.

The Redsox, Yankees and Dodgers are throwaways. Low odds because people love betting on them.  The Astros however....

I would stay away from the NL East, 4 teams will be in it to the end. Picking one is a toss up.

The Rays show great value, I am with you there.

14 minutes ago, riversco said:

Mets just need to stay healthy for a year and they go to the top imo.

That Zach Wheeler outing was eye popping.  They have the arms,  the bats are young.  Like I said, 4 way toss up.

Harper is on fire!!!

Last 22 games:

.188 average, .692 OPS

3 HR, 15 RBI

15 BB, 29 Ks

And April is his best month historically...

I know that he can't suck all year, but this is funny to me...

1 minute ago, posty said:

Harper is on fire!!!

Last 22 games:

.188 average, .692 OPS

3 HR, 15 RBI

15 BB, 29 Ks

I have never wanted a player to suck more then I do with Harper. Most over hyped, which led to overrated, which led to over paid. Fock him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

got booed at game last night :D

Doesn't that happen every night?

1 hour ago, posty said:

Harper is on fire!!!

Last 22 games:

.188 average, .692 OPS

3 HR, 15 RBI

15 BB, 29 Ks

I know that he can't suck all year, but this is funny to me...

Hey I'm all on board the Harper is overrated train, but didn't he post bad stats the first half last year and finish really strong?   I thought that played into how his entire signing played out.   

MLB is a joke.

The Red Sux payroll is 4 times that of the Rays :lol:

How can you feel good about winning it all when you spend the most?

MLB SUX

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Hey I'm all on board the Harper is overrated train, but didn't he post bad stats the first half last year and finish really strong?   I thought that played into how his entire signing played out.   

Yeah he did, it is just awesome to me that he is struggling again after getting paid...

• Thanks 1

Just now, posty said:

Yeah he did, it is just awesome to me that he is struggling again after getting paid...

MLB sux

MLB teams are so dumb

Seems a little premature to judge a 13-year contract by the first 30 or so games. I wanted Harper knowing full well he is overrated fwiw.

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

Seems a little premature to judge a 13-year contract by the first 30 or so games. I wanted Harper knowing full well he is overrated fwiw.

Get the fock out of here, a 1.5 % sample size is clearly large enough time to declare he's a total BUST.   

It's 2019, got to be the first with the hot takes.  

29 minutes ago, MDC said:

Seriously man, no one is judging.  Harper is exactly what we all knew he was.  He goes stone cold for 40 games, then is on fire for the next 40.  We are just loving the 1st part. while philly fans are praying for the 2nd to begin.   Maybe it won't.  That would be hysterical.

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Seriously man, no one is judging.  Harper is exactly what we all knew he was.  He goes stone cold for 40 games, then is on fire for the next 40.  We are just loving the 1st part. while philly fans are praying for the 2nd to begin.   Maybe it won't.  That would be hysterical.

Harper was scorching hot the first few weeks of the season. He has cooled off along with pretty much everyone else in the hitting lineup. I only expect .270ish with 30 dingers and 90+ RBIs plus lots of National fans salty tears. :thumbsup: