Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Harper and Machado, what gives?

The other waiting for the other to sign 1st?

What's the market looking like?

I don't think they are going to get close to what they wanted.

No one wants Harper for his price. And no wants to sign Machado until they see what Harper brings. Now Boros is back in DC begging the Nats to put their last offer back on the table. Boros spent 5 hours with the Nats owner (not gm, president or future owner). My guess is old man Lerner was laying out the law.

Hope Machado goes to the Yankees. He's a POS and it gives me yet another reason to root against that POS franchise.

Phillies should offer Machado 10 years $400m and be done with it.

Hope Machado goes to the Yankees. He's a POS and it gives me yet another reason to root against that POS franchise.

How will he ever live if he has to shave off that retarded chin fuzz?

Phillies should offer Machado 10 years $400m and be done with it.

:o

Thought they wanted Harper?

either way, that's suicide.

:o

Thought they wanted Harper?

either way, that's suicide.

Why? Theres no cap and its just some billionaires money.

I don't know why teams don't pony up $200M for 10 years with another $150M in possible incentives. It's at least a bit of a hedge. :dunno:

Someone doesn't know how the luxury tax works. Lol.

Luxury tax. HTH

Only 2 teams over it in 2018

2018 $197,000,000
2019 $206,000,000
2020 $208,000,000
2021 $210,000,000

The Boston Red Sox and Washington Nationals remain the only teams on track to pay the tax this year, according to Aug. 31 figures compiled by the commissioner's office for clubs and obtained by The Associated Press.
The Yankees' updated luxury tax payroll is $192.1 million, an increase from $178.8 million at the season's start. New York is set to finish below this year's $197 million threshold even with possible performance bonuses of $500,000 for pitcher CC Sabathia pitching 155 innings and $125,000 for infielder Neil Walker reaching 425 plate appearances, plus the addition of nearly $3,000 a day for each September call-up on expanded 40-man active rosters.
New York has paid the tax 15 straight years, for a total of $341 million.
Boston's luxury tax payroll was at $238.4 million on Aug. 31, up from $233.9 million on Opening Day. That boosted the projected tax for the AL East-leading Red Sox to $11.3 million from $9.4 million. Boston, which has the best record in the majors, added pitcher Nathan Eovaldi and second baseman Ian Kinsler ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.
Washington's luxury tax payroll was second at $203.9 million, an increase from $201.1 million, which raised the projected tax of the nearly eliminated from playoff contention Nationals to $2.1 million from $1.2 million.
Both figures might go up because of earned bonuses and call-ups.
San Francisco has cut luxury tax payroll slightly to $195.3 million from $196.7 million on Opening Day.
The Los Angeles Dodgers are next at $194.5 million, up from $182 million on Opening Day. The Dodgers have had the highest tax bill for the past four seasons and have paid nearly $150 million over the last five years.
New York and Los Angeles are set to reset their base tax rates from 50 percent to 20 percent of the amount over next year's threshold of $206 million. That would put them in better position heading into a free-agent class that includes Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson and potentially Clayton Kershaw, who has the right to opt out of his deal with the Dodgers.
Boston's base tax rate was 30 percent in 2016 but reset to 20 percent because the Red Sox dropped under the threshold last year. Under the surtax in the collective bargaining agreement that began last year, the rate for the Red Sox rises to 32 percent on the amount above $217 million this year and to 62.5 percent on the amount above $237 million.
Because Washington paid the tax last year, the Nationals' base rate is 30 percent.
Base rates will increase next year to 30 percent for Boston and 50 percent for Washington.
Luxury tax payrolls are based on the average annual values of contracts of all players on 40-man rosters and include $14,044,600 per team in benefits.

Someone doesn't know how the luxury tax works. Lol.

Was typing out and researching my response when you posted. :thumbsup:

Why does that even matter? The Phillies primary owner said the team is willing to spend stupid money this offseason. The only way the Phillies can compete with the Yankees or Dodgers for Manny / Bryce is to overpay by a mile and landing one of those two is the only way to move the needle on the team this offseason.

What do I care if the Phils pay a luxury tax?

Why does that even matter? The Phillies primary owner said the team is willing to spend stupid money this offseason. The only way the Phillies can compete with the Yankees or Dodgers for Manny / Bryce is to overpay by a mile and landing one of those two is the only way to move the needle on the team this offseason.

What do I care if the Phils pay a luxury tax?

If they go up to the luxury tax by paying him 40 million, you don't think that hamstrings them from signing other players?

I understand not caring about a billionaires money, but guess what? he cares and most do. I heard all last year, John Henry not wanting to go too far over the tax

If they go up to the luxury tax by paying him 40 million, you don't think that hamstrings them from signing other players?

No I dont think paying $40 million a year for Machado instead of $30 million a year or whatever hes going to get is going to hamstring the team. Because the owner is a billionaire and theres no cap.

No I dont think paying $40 million a year for Machado instead of $30 million a year or whatever hes going to get is going to hamstring the team. Because the owner is a billionaire and theres no cap.

you're so fun to debate with :doh:

you're so fun to debate with :doh:

Im right and you know it. :wave:

None of the GMs wants to mocked by the Post King of a lightly-trafficked message board for 10+ years while the contract they offered plays out. :dunno:

No one wants Harper for his price. And no wants to sign Machado until they see what Harper brings. Now Boros is back in DC begging the Nats to put their last offer back on the table. Boros spent 5 hours with the Nats owner (not gm, president or future owner). My guess is old man Lerner was laying out the law.

Harper could go to the White Sox, which as a Cubs fan would be fine with me. The Sox are young and have the money. But he has not been the same guy over that last couple years. Machado? Beats me. Probably the Yankees. It's their style.

But who knows... :dunno:

Harper has the feel of most costliest mistake ever.

In so many ways. Harper isn't a leader. Not his personality. He's not a guy that will put a team on his shoulders and get them over the hump. He plays suspect defense. He has abysmal slumps and gets rattled. His great times are amazing and he'll put fans in the stands. He won't bring a championship.
  • Like 1

In so many ways. Harper isn't a leader. Not his personality. He's not a guy that will put a team on his shoulders and get them over the hump. He plays suspect defense. He has abysmal slumps and gets rattled. His great times are amazing and he'll put fans in the stands. He won't bring a championship.

how about Mike Trout? .500 team the last 4 years. Best player in baseball?

he's an UFA 2021

how about Mike Trout? .500 team the last 4 years. Best player in baseball?

he's an UFA 2021

I don't see Trout play as much, not sure how much of a team leader guy he is...but his offense is so consistent, he'd be the guy I'd break the bank for and not worry about it at all.

None of the GMs wants to mocked by the Post King of a lightly-trafficked message board for 10+ years while the contract they offered plays out. :dunno:

have we (i) ever been wrong :P

• Like 1

I don't see Trout play as much, not sure how much of a team leader guy he is...but his offense is so consistent, he'd be the guy I'd break the bank for and not worry about it at all.

breaking the bank for a single player, always seems to work out so well for MLB teams.

breaking the bank for a single player, always seems to work out so well for MLB teams.

Very true, but I'm a Brewer fan, so, by nature I'm cheap economical players, so I don't say break the bank lightly.

Absolutely. Trout gives the numbers and leaves the rest for debate. Harper doesn't bring the numbers.

:dunno:

Thanks. So WTF? I want the Phillies to offer then both 10 years / $300m or more.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Thanks. So WTF? I want the Phillies to offer then both 10 years / $300m or more.

dumb,

neither has ever won a thing. Pitching and defense wins in the playoffs

Dodgers scored 16 runs in 5 games in the world series (6 in one game)

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

dumb,

neither has ever won a thing. Pitching and defense wins in the playoffs

Dodgers scored 16 runs in 5 games in the world series (6 in one game)

It’s only money. Bring me Macharper!

11 minutes ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

Padres offered Harper 10/320

Padres offered Machado 8/280

This ought to help them win 75 games next year.

1 hour ago, sderk said:

This ought to help them win 75 games next year.

They have one of the top farm systems in the leauge. 

7 hours ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

Padres offered Harper 10/320

Padres offered Machado 8/280

It is simply amazing to me that these guys did not jump at that deal. Neither are worth it and by the end of the contract their fans will be hating both the team for signing them and the players themselves.

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They have one of the top farm systems in the leauge. 

one of? They have the best farm system in baseball and its not even close

if the Padres lost their top 10 they would still have a top 10 farm system fwiw

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

It is simply amazing to me that these guys did not jump at that deal. Neither are worth it and by the end of the contract their fans will be hating both the team for signing them and the players themselves.

why?  These aren't your typical 32 year olds getting 10 year deals, these are 26 year olds who have 7 years of prime baseball at least left

If Harper wanted to play in Philly he would have signed already.  He still will probably sign, but  it not getting off the right foot. I put 75% Philly, 25% DC.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Greed has a funny way of focking with your head....