Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Chargers at Ravens: In-Game Discussion

Inactives:

Chargers: RB Troymaine Pope, G Forrest Lamp, LB Jatavis Brown, C Cole Toner, WR Dylan Cantrell, DE Anthony Lanier, NT Brandon Mebane

Ravens: QB Robert Griffin III, WR Jordan Lasley, LG Alex Lewis, OLB Tim Williams, DT Zach Sieler, FB/DL Patrick Ricard, CB Tavon Young

BAL -3.0

Total: 43.0

The good luck on the side of the Ravens is amazing this year. Lamar Jackson fumbles deep in the backfield and it magically rolls right back into his hands and turns it into an incompletion. It takes a different bounce and its a Chargers defensive touchdown.

OK, this is a completely different play on their second drive. Ravens fumble deep in their own backfield again and recover it. And now the Ravens fumble a THIRD time and FINALLY its Charger ball. Yeeeeeesh.

These look like two teams who will not be in the Super Bowl

I wonder if the Ravens would have been better off with Flacco in there? I know, the Ravens won games with Jackson but I just don’t see how they beat the bolts with Jackson at QB. He looks clueless, nervous and just lost so far.

Hmmm.....

9-0 Chargers with about 3:22 left in the half. This will be interesting to see exactly what sort of hurry up offense the Ravens have, because they've never needed one until now ever since Lamar Jackson became their QB.

Swirling winds gusting to 20-30 mph. Not surprising its a low scoring game and neither team wants to throw.

Swirling winds gusting to 20-30 mph. Not surprising its a low scoring game and neither team wants to throw.

If it's that windy then Jackson is the right play at qb.

You have to put in flacco at this point, he's done it before, season on the line and Jackson looks lost it's a no-brainer

Lamar Jackson 17 yards passing. At some point, if they trail by 2 scores late, I have to think they gotta bring Joe Flacco in to sling it around.

Why is this so obvious to everyone but the guy who makes the decision? What am I missing?

Rivers with a poor throw. Not surprising. The dude completely comes up short in big moments, which is surprising since he seems like one of the cockiesr qbs in the league. I hope Balt wins because I just never liked Rivers

Fumble....

but they won't get the TD because it was blown dead

How the fuk did they they spot the ball at the one yard line after the 2nd down play? The nose literally shoulda been on the GL

How the fuk did they they spot the ball at the one yard line after the 2nd down play? The nose literally shoulda been on the GL

I don't know what's happening on that series.

Chargers win.....unless they put Flacco in and he somehow pulls off the miracle

BTW, that Gordon ball was clearly coming loose before he hit the ground. Extremely questionable call.

BTW, that Gordon ball was clearly coming loose before he hit the ground. Extremely questionable call.

Disagree. Could have gone any of the 3 ways (TD, down by contact or fumble). Very hard call to make, IMO.

I drank the Harbaugh cool-aid like a lot of people but if you can be this brain dead in a playoff game? I am flummoxed

The curse of the running QB continues.

He can win you games, but if you can't win throwing from the pocket, you're not going to win the Super Bowl.

He can win you games, but if you can't win throwing from the pocket, you're not going to win the Super Bowl.

There have been running QBs who can at least throw the ball sometimes. Jackson not so much.

There have been running QBs who can at least throw the ball sometimes. Jackson not so much.

Yeah, he can’t throw worth a crap. Zero presence, just wants to run. MOBILE QBs are good and have won titles. Running QBs are a novelty and ultimately have little use. There is a difference between the two. The first type is viable for the NFL. The other type is not.

It’s his first year and all but he’s going to have to improve as a passer, just like josh Allen of the Bills who seemed more interested in running than passing. That’s not going to cut it in the NFL.

Yeah, he can’t throw worth a crap. Zero presence, just wants to run. MOBILE QBs are good and have won titles. Running QBs are a novelty and ultimately have little use. There is a difference between the two. The first type is viable for the NFL. The other type is not.

It’s his first year and all but he’s going to have to improve as a passer, just like josh Allen of the Bills who seemed more interested in running than passing. That’s not going to cut it in the NFL.

Great post. :first:

Still can't believe NFL teams still draft these type of QBs. There is a reason they're running all the time - because they can't throw worth a lick. Why would you draft or sign a QB that can't throw a forward pass?

I don't think Jackson and Allen are the same type of running QB. Allen has a huge arm. He was running because he had no OL or WR corp. Jackson on the other hand can't throw a ball and judging by his interviews isn't the sharpest. You don't have to be a genius to be successful at QB, but I don't think that he has the needed processing speed.

The Ravens' season couldn't have ended a better way than a Lamar Jackson fumble.

Now let's go blast the Patriots!

Great post. :first:

Still can't believe NFL teams still draft these type of QBs. There is a reason they're running all the time - because they can't throw worth a lick. Why would you draft or sign a QB that can't throw a forward pass?

To quote a famous Admiral: It's a trap.

They show enough promise in college that coaches believe they can develop them into an NFL QB. If someone like Jackson were to develop into even an above average passer, he would be an incredible weapon.

Then when they're put on an NFL field, they rely on their legs and don't learn to read the defense and go through their progressions. Which forces the coach into a difficult decision: accept his limitations in the passing game and rely on his legs, which is not a winning formula, or force him to stay in the pocket, which may develop him, but also takes away a big reason why you drafted him.

I don't think Jackson and Allen are the same type of running QB. Allen has a huge arm. He was running because he had no OL or WR corp. Jackson on the other hand can't throw a ball and judging by his interviews isn't the sharpest. You don't have to be a genius to be successful at QB, but I don't think that he has the needed processing speed.

This. Allen certainly needs to work on his accuracy but he wasn't drafted to be a running threat. He was drafted for his arm. His gaudy rushing stats turned out to be an added bonus, and was more out of necessity than because that's his entire game.

To quote a famous Admiral: It's a trap.

They show enough promise in college that coaches believe they can develop them into an NFL QB. If someone like Jackson were to develop into even an above average passer, he would be an incredible weapon.

Then when they're put on an NFL field, they rely on their legs and don't learn to read the defense and go through their progressions. Which forces the coach into a difficult decision: accept his limitations in the passing game and rely on his legs, which is not a winning formula, or force him to stay in the pocket, which may develop him, but also takes away a big reason why you drafted him.

Another quality post.

Tell me more about this famous Admiral.

Just watched the highlights of this game.

It’s a shame that the Ravens coaching staff gave up.

Down by 17 points to start the 4th quarter and yet no Flacco, who’s the much better passer.