Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Time shares: scam or good idea?

Holy sh1t a thread where wiff is right... Thought I'd never see the day.

Neither.

Its not a scam. But 90 plus percent of the time NOT a good idea.

Its like leasing a car over buying. For some people it may make sense but generally speaking......hard pass.

Neither.

Its not a scam. But 90 plus percent of the time NOT a good idea.

Its like leasing a car over buying. For some people it may make sense but generally speaking......hard pass.

I never liked the thought of having to share a place with other people like that. Id want my own place

I made a joke about djgb owning a few timeshares a few months ago. This is perfect.

My buddy does timeshare sales and makes bank here in Orlando. Heres what he told me about them when I asked. They are 100% a scam. They all have maintenance fee payments and they usually start out at $100 or so bucks. But they go up 10% every year so eventually youre paying $4,000 a year in maintenance fee payments for something you havent used in 10 years.

Heres the secret to get out of one if you are stuck:

When you sign up they all have cancellation periods usually 3 days after signing up, of course if youve had yours 10 years thats already passed, but what you do is you call the resort and say you love the place so much you want to upgrade. Fly out to the resort the upgrade will null and void the previous contract and then cancel the new one within the cancellation period. Boom done.

• Like 1

They're awesome. You should get a few.

This is the correct answer.

The rest of you need to shut the fock up.

Had one in Orlando when the kids were young, it worked pretty well for us but in general you lose money in the end......the company tends to make out pretty darn well from what I can tell. Still, made the wife and kids happy to have a regular annual trip to disney, in terms of costs vs staying on property at disney I likely came out even.....

My parents bought a few, we sometimes stay at theirs since they rarely go anymore.

I am looking at properties to buy at some vacation locations as investments to rent. Hatteras, Key West, Ocean City and some skiing locations as well, you can make some money with the right property.

If you can afford to buy it with cash, decent deal. If you pay 15% finance to get it through them, We Todd Did

If you can afford to buy it with cash, decent deal. If you pay 15% finance to get it through them, We Todd Did

Truth. And that is the biggest problem i have with investing in any of the properties I have looked at so far.....I cannot do the ones i want in cash, so it negates the entire idea of doing it.....aside from what you have mentioned there is insurance, standard maintenance, emergency maintenance, my time.....on and on....

At least with a boat I can defend the wasted money with my satisfaction in getting away and enjoying myself...

I have had friends on both sides. One couple went all over the country...even hawaii. Others have gone bankrupt from it. Id say for 90 percent it is a bad idea.

Great for getting free disney tickets and hilton head vacation packages.

With air bnb who needs them

great way to get bed bugs

They are great if your travel schedule is flexible. The "new" timeshares that are point based work very well if you know what you are doing. You are no longer stuck going to the same place at the same time every year.

We bought ours on the secondary market in the 2007 collapse. We bought a two bedroom 1 week package at a property in Bonita Springs. We usually turn that into 3 weeks of actual vacation. We have been to Bonita Springs, FL, Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen, CO, Carmel, CA, Dorado, Puerto Rico, Lake Tahoe, Sedona, AZ, Key West, FL and San Antonio, TX.

We usually have enough points to book a random weekend. We them sell that weekend and it pays for maintenance and taxes.

• Like 1

I have had one for a decent amount of time and it has been fine for us, but when we sold our bay area home in 2001, we paid off the principal and only have an annual maintenance fee which is minimal. we us the primary resort a bit, but have traded it for vacations to other locations (key west, mexico, carmel, whistler), and have also sold it to friends. we essentially have locked in our lodging costs. it is not for everyone, but has not been the nightmare you hear about for us.

We have been to Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen, CO, Carmel, CA,

bastard!

Carmel was so freckin awesome!

one of my favorite towns. proposed to my wife there. on an anniversary weekend there is when started discussing my going to culinary school

Disney vacation club would be the only time share I bought into.

I'll never do it though.

A friend lives on Hilton head and bought one on HHI on the secondary market for like 10K. He stashes guests there when they come to visit. But the key is he gets to use the resort year round. He can use the exercise room, private beach access, pools, hot tubs, movie theater, beach bar and all the other amenities anytime at no cost because he is an owner. They go in the mornings and are treated like guest owners but go home in the evening. It is pretty sweet and it is the only way I would consider it.

The type of people that buy timeshares are a salesman dream. Probably hit that same lead 3-4 times over.

The type of people that buy timeshares are a salesman dream. Probably hit that same lead 3-4 times over.

It’s the first thing they will buy when they hit that big lotto win!

A friend lives on Hilton head and bought one on HHI on the secondary market for like 10K. He stashes guests there when they come to visit. But the key is he gets to use the resort year round. He can use the exercise room, private beach access, pools, hot tubs, movie theater, beach bar and all the other amenities anytime at no cost because he is an owner. They go in the mornings and are treated like guest owners but go home in the evening. It is pretty sweet and it is the only way I would consider it.

Hilton Head is really nice. Love going up there. Didnt know they had timeshares there though.

Like others said, its much cheaper and convenient to get an AirBnb. Hell was looking down in key west and you can rent an entire house for around $200 or a little more. Nice houses with hot tubs, pools, 3-4 rooms, and beach right across the street from them.

Hilton Head is really nice. Love going up there. Didnt know they had timeshares there though.

Like others said, its much cheaper and convenient to get an AirBnb. Hell was looking down in key west and you can rent an entire house for around $200 or a little more. Nice houses with hot tubs, pools, 3-4 rooms, and beach right across the street from them.

$200 a week? a Day? A couple days? How does that work?

I like when Digby posts his retarded questions and guys here rush in to answer it all serious. Real smart crew here.

I like when Digby posts his retarded questions and guys here rush in to answer it all serious. Real smart crew here.

Just close your eyes and pretend its someone else. Another guy has to do that too.

$200 a week? a Day? A couple days? How does that work?

200 a day I am sure but even divided between 4 people it is a steal. Most Hotels are $200 a night down there. Like Uber Air BNB has revolutionized an industry.

I live an hour from HHI and I love it. If I could talk my wife into it I would move there. To answer your question there are lots of timeshares there. I think six 5 starish Marriott resorts and that is just a small percentage of what is there. One resort would have us come weekly to give the guests a fossil presentation of the local area and give us a Villa for the night. I can not say enough about HHI and I can even dive for teeth there.

200 a day I am sure but even divided between 4 people it is a steal. Most Hotels are $200 a night down there. Like Uber Air BNB has revolutionized an industry.

Yep. A day. Pretty surprised that you could get a whole house in the $200s/day. And nice ones at that

Just close your eyes and pretend its someone else. Another guy has to do that too.

And thats cause most of the threads I start arent retarded like half the ones people start here. Retards like HT dont post quality content. Just straight sh1t that no one reads. It would do you some good to learn to have a conversation with real people instead of the made up ones in your head

I live an hour from HHI and I love it. If I could talk my wife into it I would move there. To answer your question there are lots of timeshares there. I think six 5 starish Marriott resorts and that is just a small percentage of what is there. One resort would have us come weekly to give the guests a fossil presentation of the local area and give us a Villa for the night. I can not say enough about HHI and I can even dive for teeth there.

Didnt know you could dive for teeth there. But the place is great. Havent been in a while but would love to go back. However, there are other places my wife and I want to visit a little more than there currently lol

• Like 1