Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Innovations to the game at 2019 Pro Bowl

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-testing-several-innovations-pro-213926832.html

1. Coaches are allowed to communicate via radio with more than 1 player, not just the QB. Coaches will have until 15 seconds are left on the playclock to communicate with them. I'm not sure if this helps the offense or defense more. If a defensive player is out of alignment or taking the wrong assignment, a quick word to them via radio might get a key stop.

2. A new prism football shield to enhance vision on-field. I guess this attaches to the helmet and goes over the eyes?

3. Game clock adjustments: modifying the game clock for understanding and maximizing pace of play.

4. More cameras: Helmet camera, officiating hat camera, pylon 1st down camera, 360-degree camera under the goalpost.

Some other stuff not directly game-related but that's quite a bit of testing.

All sounds good, although I don't the 15 second mark coach-player communication thing is new. This would also be a good even to test out new technology for spotting the ball, a chip in the ball, etc.

I like the fact that they left in tackling.

So far so good.

• Like 1

Interestingly, no innovations for OT and no innovations on calling penalties that the refs missed, which is what some fans are loudly asking for.

I wonder how fans would react if they announced the pro bowl would be flag football.

Things would be worse. Because 1 or 2 hamstring injuries would cause an uproar.

I wonder how fans would react if they announced the pro bowl would be flag football.

I'm watching the pro bowl for the first time ever. I'm a little surprised at how close it actually is to two hand touch. They blow the plays dead on a lot of plays that don't end in a tackle. For example, Tyreek Hill just took an end around for about 10 yards and met up with 3 defenders. He put his head down a little and slowed up and they blew the whistle as the defenders were just surrounding him but not hitting him. They also do it almost every time a defender reaches a QB.

There is some tackling but nothing rough. It's kinda cool just to hear the comments on all the player's years if for nothing else.

It's funny, this morning I was flipping over to NFLRadio (Sirius/XM), during commercials on MLBRadio when I heard the hosts (Papa, Brandt, & Weiss), talking about how great the ratings are for the Pro Bowl. It's funny because over the last 10 years, I can literally count on one hand how many people I've ever talked to who have watched it.

It's funny, this morning I was flipping over to NFLRadio (Sirius/XM), during commercials on MLBRadio when I heard the hosts (Papa, Brandt, & Weiss), talking about how great the ratings are for the Pro Bowl. It's funny because over the last 10 years, I can literally count on one hand how many people I've ever talked to who have watched it.

I can't contradict them as those guys are pretty sharp, but I also never watched the game before until yesterday that is. The key to that game is the announcers. It was was semi entertaining overall.

Maybe what they meant was that ratings were better than average? If you think about it, sports gambling is now onshore. I could see that alone increasing the # of viewers.