Sign in to follow this  
lesjroza

Steelers-Bell-Transition tag

Bell a Steeler in 2019?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25910214/steelers-considering-using-transition-tag-leveon-bell

The Pittsburgh Steelers are still considering using their transition tag on Le'Veon Bell, which would give them the right to match any offer sheet the free-agent-to-be signs with any other team, a league source told ESPN.

The prospect of using the transition tag on the star running back creates an interesting situation, considering the fact that receiver Antonio Brown is likely to be traded, while Bell could possibly be back in Pittsburgh for 2019.

Pittsburgh's decision depends on how much another team would value Bell and whether the Steelers would be willing to match the offer sheet.There also is a battle brewing between the NFL and and NFL Players Association over the value of what the transition tag would be on Bell if the Steelers did use it. Bell and the NFLPA will argue that the transition tag is close to $14.5 million based on the escalating value of tags, and the Steelers and the NFL will say it's closer to $9.5 million because Bell sat out this past season.

No player has ever been in a situation like this. If the league wins the ruling, it will add even more leverage to teams using franchise and transition tags. If the NFLPA wins, it will give players more rights if they decide to skip seasons when tagged.

Bell, who turns 27 later this month, skipped the entire 2018 season after declining to sign his franchise tender, leaving $14.5 million on the table.

Awwwww, poor Bell...... ^_^

It may be pretty shitty of the Steelers, but Bell needs to fire the idiot agent that told him to sit out. No way in hell does he make up the money he lost. Only a handful of teams have the cap $$ that were available last offseason and it's highly doubtful any of them break the bank for Bell. The Jets have already stated they will not overpay. The Colts aren't interested. The 49'ers aren't going to take a "me first" guy like Bell, especially when they have so many other holes to fill. Buffalo will have the money, but what would Bell do behind a poor offensive line and no WR's to take the heat off?

My prediction - Bell is never again close to being the top RB in fantasy football unless he's back in Pitt. With fewer teams needing a RB this season, he's going to get stuck in a crappy situation and will never again be the same Bell. His stutter stepping behind the line works great when you have Antonio Brown and always another top WR paired with him, oh, and a great offensive line. Put him behind the Jets line, or the Bills, and try to tell me with a straight face he's going to be remotely close to the Bell of the past 4 years.

That would be pretty shitty of the Steelers.

We'll see how it plays out but I can envision a scenario where the Steelers aren't the only ones wield the hammer on Bell in this case because there are bigger picture issues involved.

This is going to be a case where collusion would benefit NFL ownership greatly and since RB values have been in the tank anyway it will be hard to prove "collusionary" (not a word I know) low-balling with contract offers. Ownership has the opportunity to send a message about what a players options really are when they are in Bell's situation..............it seldom pays to fight the man, at least for the fool who puts up the fight initially.

"No player has ever been in a situation like this. If the league wins the ruling, it will add even more leverage to teams using franchise and transition tags. If the NFLPA wins, it will give players more rights if they decide to skip seasons when tagged.

Bell, who turns 27 later this month, skipped the entire 2018 season after declining to sign his franchise tender, leaving $14.5 million on the table."

The Steelers did nothing wrong. Bell played out his contract and the Steelers paid him. They tagged him and made him one of the highest paid RB's in the league. After that, we saw two other great RB's (Gurley and Johnson), sign long term deals that are less than what was reported to be offered to Bell by the Steelers and cementing that he would be the highest paid RB in the league, and he turned that down. They were also prepared to tag him make him the highest paid RB last year.

Everything is on Bell. Had he signed the extension, he'd have been the highest paid RB in the league. Had he signed the tag and played last year, he would be a free agent this year and he could sign where ever he wants. It's his and his agents' fault that he's in this situation.

Neither did anything wrong. Bell will not make up that missed money, and he should have played. I think if they tag him again though, it would just show the team cares more about drama than winning. No wonder Brown wants out (even though I believe his diva nature is out of control also).

Hope they tag him again.

Bell did this to himself. 

He could have played for more.   now it is a case where the Steelers have the right to match any offer. 

Assuming the transition tag is worth 9.5 mil as I suspect it is......

What if the best offer was 12 Mil?  will Bell take a pay cut?   or miss a second straight year.

This guy really needs to fire his agent or quit making decisions on his own behalf.  He clearly hasnt helped himself here.

I wonder if Bell didn't realize the Steelers could do this. Sure sounds like it. What a dope. Unless he just wanted the year off. :dunno:

Gurley is proof Any team is stupid to build team cap around a RB

thank you bell from saving Steelers from themselves last year

14 hours ago, sderk said:

I wonder if Bell didn't realize the Steelers could do this. Sure sounds like it. What a dope. Unless he just wanted the year off. :dunno:

He should have.  I remember mentioning this last year.  If I knew it, both he and more importantly his agent, should have known this.

Link

Le'Veon Bell will be a free agent.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will not place a franchise or transition tag on the All-Pro running back, general manager Kevin Colbert told local reporters on Wednesday. For losing Bell, the team will receive a 2020 compensatory pick that could be worth as high as a third-round selection. Colbert said the transition tag wasn't viable because of the number ($14.5 million) and the fact that Pro Bowl running back James Conner and rookie Jaylen Samuels were productive without Bell last season.

Awww that’s to bad, I thought it would have been a great play. 

What's the time frame on this? When is he free of all this 'hellish persecution' he was forced to endure in Pittsburgh?

funny thing is when Bell signs somewhere else, people will discover he was a product of a good system.

I dont think he will ever put up numbers resembling what he was able to do in Pittsburgh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

funny thing is when Bell signs somewhere else, people will discover he was a product of a good system.

I dont think he will ever put up numbers resembling what he was able to do in Pittsburgh.

Speculation Ray. If he were to sign in SD, NO, LAR, maybe even Hou I think he replicates 80-90% of his past production.

16 hours ago, ralphster said:

Speculation Ray. If he were to sign in SD, NO, LAR, maybe even Hou I think he replicates 80-90% of his past production.

Considering that there's about a 0.0% chance of him signing in any of those first 3 places, I'm going to just move on to Houston.  I think you could be right on that one, had this been an ideal situation... meaning, he didn't just take 12+ month vacation.  There are a few other teams where he could have been as productive are Philly and Indy.

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

Houston does not have a o-line.  

With Watson, Bell, and Hopkins, I'm not sure their line needs to be all that great.  As long as they upgrade it to "adequate", that should be enough.

Bell would be a great fit with the Texans. 

22 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Houston does not have a o-line.  

certainly not a good one.   The only advantage is that they have a QB that can run, so that makes it a bit harder on defenses.

I truly think anyone sending him the money he is seeking will be disappointed by the end result.   he will be fantasy relevant, but I dont think he will be a top 3 fantasy RB anymore.

• Thanks 1