Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Grammys Thread

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

To be able to do it 25-30 years past your prime is.  

So can Def Leppard

That's quality?

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So you think Cardi B could sell more tickets than U2? Because in 1987 U2 could sell more tickets than anyone from the 60's that was   still performing. And in 2019 U2 could sell more tickets than anyone performing now. Quality 

Was that the Joshua Tree tour?  Or was that 1986.  Regardless, I saw it in the Bahston Gahden, it was awesome.

Also to the post you replied to:  Adele is not Cardi B.  Adele's music will be known 20 years from now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

He also sold out over 100k in MetLife back to back nights

Ok. Anyway, the point is today's music sucks. Not because I'm an old white guy, it's just that it sucks. There are down times in all art. 60's and 70's rock is better than 80's and 90's. Movies from the 70's were better than movies from the 60's and 80's. It happens. We are just in a crappy music period.  

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Was that the Joshua Tree tour?  Or was that 1986.  Regardless, I saw it in the Bahston Gahden, it was awesome.

Also to the post you replied to:  Adele is not Cardi B.  Adele's music will be known 20 years from now.

I agree. I'm talking about overall. Sure there are some quality acts now. Always will be. But big picture it sucks. 

Crappy pop music period.

I think there is plenty of good music being made that doesn't get rotation on top 40 and stadium tour schedule

I am predicting a general return to rock n roll for the music biz.  There are a lot of good young bands around these days.  This girl is 19, cites Velvet Underground and Fiona Apple as influences.  ha..not the best freeze on that picture.  

Just now, bandrus1 said:

Crappy pop music period.

I think there is plenty of good music being made that doesn't get rotation on top 40

Always is.  But I'm subjected to the top 40 when I don't control the music. And it sucks. 

1 hour ago, frank said:

Breaking news: old white guys think today’s music sucks. 

This.

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I am predicting a general return to rock n roll for the music biz.  There are a lot of good young bands around these days.  This girl is 19, cites Velvet Underground and Fiona Apple as influences.  ha..not the best freeze on that picture.  

Seeing her Sat 

1 hour ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I think the response to this would be the standard "our people and music were ignored for decades so now we get to do this because we can have our vengeance...."

Was it a couple years ago that cries of RACISM echoed throughout the land because Adele won an award that "rightfully" should have gone to Beyonce?  If the industry can't even give an award to a crazily talented singer (gasp! she actually sings and doesn't dance around with 10 backup dancers and use auto tune!) without being accused of RACISM then it's clear that it's destined to become BET Awards 2.

58 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don't think so. Close, but U2 was huge at that point. . And because they are good, they have lasted. And I'm not a huge fan. 

Those are all bands I saw in 1987-1988, and all the shows were similar sellouts.

Studies claim our peak ability to discover new music is around age 24, and we tend to stop discovering new music around age 30..... I assume the average age here is 40+, so of course we all think this music sucks...... And in 2039, the 40 year olds will still be jamming out to Janelle Monae and claiming the music of that day sucks.

Also, in regard to the top earning tours, bands 20 years past their peak will probably always dominate here...... 40-50 year olds have the buying power to overspend on tickets. So whichever bands were biggest when the 40-50 age bracket was in it's 20's is likely to dominate that category.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Studies claim our peak ability to discover new music is around age 24, and we tend to stop discovering new music around age 30..... I assume the average age here is 40+, so of course we all think this music sucks...... And in 2039, the 40 year olds will still be jamming out to Janelle Monae and claiming the music of that day sucks.

Also, in regard to the top earning tours, bands 20 years past their peak will probably always dominate here...... 40-50 year olds have the buying power to overspend on tickets. So whichever bands were biggest when the 40-50 age bracket was in it's 20's is likely to dominate that category.

But hasn't "white music" generally sucked since the 90s alternative genre ended? I can't think of a great band since the 2000s

Maybe it's because I mostly listen to podcasts :dunno:

16 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

I didn't see Monae's performance so I looked it up; quite enjoyable.  I agree with the earlier comment about a Prince feel, with a little Bruno Mars mixed in (dancing + big band instruments at the end).

Also wood; she would probably kill me with all of that energy but I'd die with a smile on my face.  :banana:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/grammys-janelle-monae-make-me-feel-pynk.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

But hasn't "white music" generally sucked since the 90s alternative genre ended? I can't think of a great band since the 2000s

Just a fast dirty quick example

Ryan Adams.. great song writer 

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I didn't see Monae's performance so I looked it up; quite enjoyable.  I agree with the earlier comment about a Prince feel, with a little Bruno Mars mixed in (dancing + big band instruments at the end).

Also wood; she would probably kill me with all of that energy but I'd die with a smile on my face.  :banana:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/grammys-janelle-monae-make-me-feel-pynk.html

pussypants!

7 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I am a good example of someone that really faded in terms of discovering new music after age 30. I turned 30 in 2007, and that and the preceding few years was the last little era in which I discovered a bunch of new bands that I stuck with.....The National, The Killers, TV on the Radio, Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, etc.

But if I think back, those bands weren't played much on the radio. I had to seek them out. I specifically remember that the way I discovered both The National and TV on the Radio was by reading metacritic year in review top 10 lists, and making myself sample a song or two from each album listed. Now I am 41 years old and I haven't done that in many many years. I am of the belief that if I did, I'd still be able to find cool new bands on occasion.

11 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

I am a good example of someone that really faded in terms of discovering new music after age 30. I turned 30 in 2007, and that and the preceding few years was the last little era in which I discovered a bunch of new bands that I stuck with.....The National, The Killers, TV on the Radio, Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, etc.

But if I think back, those bands weren't played much on the radio. I had to seek them out. I specifically remember that the way I discovered both The National and TV on the Radio was by reading metacritic year in review top 10 lists, and making myself sample a song or two from each album listed. Now I am 41 years old and I haven't done that in many many years. I am of the belief that if I did, I'd still be able to find cool new bands on occasion.

I'm 48, and still use this method.  I go to the NME list, Paste, Pitchfork.  And then when I find ones that I like, I'll check out Pandora stations around them.  2007 was a great year for music.  

Other bands since the 00s...The White Stripes and Jack White, The Strokes, QOTSA, Kings of Leon, Wilco, Black Keys, Spoon

5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

60's and 70's rock is better than 80's and 90's.

That's just a dumb statement. 

Also, music is subjective, shithead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SUXBNME said:

But an accurate one.  :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

But an accurate one.  :thumbsup:

Based on what criteria? 

2 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Based on what criteria? 

Working ears and knowledge of music.  :dunno:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Working ears and knowledge of music.  :dunno:

So, subjective. Thanx for proving my point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Also, music is subjective, shithead.

Subjective to a point.  Name the great rock bands that started after 1980. Then compare that to the ones that started in the 1960's. Not even close.  

39 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Subjective to a point.  Name the great rock bands that started after 1980. Then compare that to the ones that started in the 1960's. Not even close.  

Define great :dunno:

Albums sold?

Concerts sold out?

or Musical talent? 

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Define great :dunno:

Albums sold?

Concerts sold out?

or Musical talent? 

On the level of the Beatles, Stones, Zep, The Who, Rush, Tom Petty The Eagles, Pink Floyd, U2, Springsteen, Elton John and more.   Careers that span decades.  

26 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

On the level of the Beatles, Stones, Zep, The Who, Rush, Tom Petty The Eagles, Pink Floyd, U2, Springsteen, Elton John and more.   Careers that span decades.  

are any of them bigger than Elvis?

Obviously the bands that made it big in that first 10-20 years of rock music have giant advantages in terms of how easy it was to become "great".

They had a blank canvas, so everything was original. There were way less of them doing it, so it was easier to be unique. Once they had some success, there were less radio stations with less options, so it was easy to dominate the airwaves.....and so on and so on.

Obviously, the best comparison is Doyle Brunson having 10 WSOP bracelets and 2 Main Event Titles.....and people trying to claim he can even hold a candle to a Phil Ivey or Phil Hellmuth. Doyle won those main events by beating fields of 22 and 34. Helll, I've won tournaments with bigger fields, and I have to tell myself "So Hungry Don't Choke" to remember the suit rankings.

The Beatles are the Doyle Brunson of rock music. Radiohead is the Phil Ivey of rock music...and so on.

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don't think so. Close, but U2 was huge at that point. . And because they are good, they have lasted. And I'm not a huge fan. 

I am. Except for "No Line on the Horizon".  Hated that album.

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

And PS.. Black Sabbath was better than that entire 60's 70's list

Sure. If you were a misfit long haired freak back then, I'm sure you thought Ozzie, the prince of darkness, was awesome. 

1 hour ago, cbfalcon said:

Obviously the bands that made it big in that first 10-20 years of rock music have giant advantages in terms of how easy it was to become "great".

They had a blank canvas, so everything was original. There were way less of them doing it, so it was easier to be unique. Once they had some success, there were less radio stations with less options, so it was easy to dominate the airwaves.....and so on and so on.

Obviously, the best comparison is Doyle Brunson having 10 WSOP bracelets and 2 Main Event Titles.....and people trying to claim he can even hold a candle to a Phil Ivey or Phil Hellmuth. Doyle won those main events by beating fields of 22 and 34. Helll, I've won tournaments with bigger fields, and I have to tell myself "So Hungry Don't Choke" to remember the suit rankings.

The Beatles are the Doyle Brunson of rock music. Radiohead is the Phil Ivey of rock music...and so on.

Dang man... that was a really good post until that Radiohead / Ivey analogy.  Radiohead is on the Mount Rushmore of overrated rock bands.  It is the most hipster doosh rock band to like.  :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfalcon said:

I'd say there is much validity in your statement, if I don't see with my own two eyes how the bands that I mentioned have spanned many different age groups. Fans of The Who and the Stones can have a 30 year age gap. I don't see that happening with today's popular music. 

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Dang man... that was a really good post until that Radiohead / Ivey analogy.  Radiohead is on the Mount Rushmore of overrated rock bands.  It is the most hipster doosh rock band to like.  :(

I was feeling it with that post, I was on a heater.....and by the time I got to the end, I had to decide....Do I just finish it off by counting my winnings and walking away from the table, or do I go big and risk it all in an effort to ride this heater to the top floor.

I went big. I have no regrets.

It is because classic rock is in itself a product that has been made

Honestly, how many people who want to listen to the style of music are actually out actively seeking new artists making that kinda music?

My guess most are pretty content with listening to what has been made not what is being made 

1 minute ago, cbfalcon said:

I was feeling it with that post, like I was on a heater.....and by the time I got to the end, I had to decide....Do I just finish it off by counting my winnings and walking away from the table, or do I go big and risk it all in an effort to ride this heater to the top floor.

I went big. I have no regrets.

Understood.  We have important decisions to make on a lowly trafficked FF message bored; nobody wins their league by being average.  👍🏿

• Like 1

Just discovered that new 'it' girl, Kacey Musgrave sings a lot of songs written by Brandy Clark.

Brandy is one of the most respected songwriters out there. Real fine performer too.

Brandy herself was up for Best New artist a few years back as I recall.