Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Broncos trading for Flacco

From ESPN...

When the deal is completed, it likely will be for a mid-round pick, sources told ESPN. When the deal is completed, the Ravens will save $10.5 million in cap space. However, they will carry $16 million in dead money on their 2019 cap. The trade means the Broncos are moving on from quarterback Case Keenum, who started for the team last season after signing a two-year, $36 million contract in free agency last year. He is due $18 million in 2019, with just $7 million guaranteed. The Broncos will carry $10 million in dead money if they cut him.

Br00TCn.jpg

Is Flacco really much better than Keenum? They lose a draft pick, take on Flacco's huge contract, and take a 10 million hit if they cut Keenum.

Wow Elway is really feeling the heat. 

Its a risky move with little in return. 

I don't really see a downside here.  I don't see them NOT taking a QB still, in the first round.  They draft a 1st rounder and see if he's better than Flacco.  If he is, then he plays and you release Flacco in the off season with no cap hit.  If he isn't and Flacco is the better option for this year, you play it out and see if Flacco restores his name.  If he does, then they can trade him and his 2 remaining years.  If he doesn't, you cut him with no cap hit.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't really see a downside here.  I don't see them NOT taking a QB still, in the first round.  They draft a 1st rounder and see if he's better than Flacco.  If he is, then he plays and you release Flacco in the off season with no cap hit.  If he isn't and Flacco is the better option for this year, you play it out and see if Flacco restores his name.  If he does, then they can trade him and his 2 remaining years.  If he doesn't, you cut him with no cap hit.

I think this more so means they will skip out on this year (perhaps arent thrilled with any) and take one next year in a stacked class.

Your post makes sense but you are still out a 4th for no real reason.  It isnt like Flacco is a guy with upside.  If they draft one this year they basically lost out on dead money by cutting Keenum just to give a 4th for another place holder/stop gap qb.

I mean if you think Flacco has a chance to finally be a good QB at age 34 coming off injury then I guess good move.  But to me thats eishful thinking.

The downside to me would be if I was a broncos fan, that we just gave up any chance of making the playoffs next season. 

Now I do agree that picking up Flacco to use him what he has left while the new guy is learning could be a good move. 

But in the nfl you need to win today, and these rookie QBs should be playing right away. 

Also thinks if says a lot of what Flacco has or really doesn’t have left, that the Ravens let him go for a Qb that can’t pass the ball.  

I’m really not even sold on that Flacco is a upgrade over what they had last season. 

17 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I think this more so means they will skip out on this year (perhaps arent thrilled with any) and take one next year in a stacked class.

Your post makes sense but you are still out a 4th for no real reason.  It isnt like Flacco is a guy with upside.  If they draft one this year they basically lost out on dead money by cutting Keenum just to give a 4th for another place holder/stop gap qb.

I mean if you think Flacco has a chance to finally be a good QB at age 34 coming off injury then I guess good move.  But to me thats wishful thinking.

Agreed. Scenario A. Keenum and a 4th.

Scenario B. Flacco, pay dead cap money for releasing Keenum, and no 4th.

Both seem to suck. But either way you need a QB of the future. So I'd say scenario A. Is alittle less sucky.

16 hours ago, Raider 84 said:

Good news for Raven fans. 

Yes and no.  I think the Ravens screwed up with the Jackson pick.  I remember a few years ago watching him play and thinking he was going to be a star one day.  My assumption though was that he was going to add some weight and muscle.  He didn't.  He's never going to last at his current size.  Flacco was no prize either, but the Ravens' mistake was re-upping him instead of re-placing him.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, BobSanders_33 said:

They still take Lock and he sits however many games it takes until Flacco hurts his back/hip.

Lock sucks so it wouldnt shock me.  

Elway has this idea that if you have a big arm or are tall you will be good.  

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lock sucks so it wouldnt shock me.  

Elway has this idea that if you have a big arm or are tall you will be good.  

I don't know, in the last 20 years, how many good QB's can you name that didn't meet one of those 2 criteria?  Then, how many can you list do?  My guess is that the answer to the later is a lot higher than the answer to the former.

After all, didn't we hear about a couple of teams offering him a backup QB deal?

So Flaco badly underperformed over the last 4 years and went from a team with crappy O line and no O weapons to a team with even worse Oline, no RB, no O weapons ... and is expected to all of a sudden "turn the corner" and become good?! Elway is an idiot.

Both Sanders and Lindsay are coming off season ending injuries and surgeries.. Achilles tear is a 2 year recovery inj and Sanders tore it at the end of the year.  Good luck

Sutton really needs to step it up this next season. 

Im sure a lack of a quality Qb didn’t help. 

And I see the same coming this next season based on a lack of a quality Qb. 

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know, in the last 20 years, how many good QB's can you name that didn't meet one of those 2 criteria?  Then, how many can you list do?  My guess is that the answer to the later is a lot higher than the answer to the former.

After all, didn't we hear about a couple of teams offering him a backup QB deal?

Not sure.  You touted 5'11 Tyrod Taylor during the offseason.  So not sure where you stand.

Point is, when the first thing you mention on a QB is his arm its usually a bad thing.  Rodgers Wilson Brees are not tall and have been 3 of the elite QBs in thr last several years.  

Name a good QB who wasnt accurate?  Ill wait.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not sure.  You touted 5'11 Tyrod Taylor during the offseason.  So not sure where you stand.

Point is, when the first thing you mention on a QB is his arm its usually a bad thing.  Rodgers Wilson Brees are not tall and have been 3 of the elite QBs in thr last several years.  

Name a good QB who wasnt accurate?  Ill wait.

Yes, as a capable starter, but certainly not a star by any stretch.

Ah, I see, shifting the goal posts.  You said tall or big arm initially.   Now that you've realize that they are traits of the better QB's, you're shifting to accuracy.

12 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes, as a capable starter, but certainly not a star by any stretch.

Ah, I see, shifting the goal posts.  You said tall or big arm initially.   Now that you've realize that they are traits of the better QB's, you're shifting to accuracy.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Elways track record speaks for itself.  Elway went out and fell in love with Os and Lynch.  Both giant QBs with big arms.  Over looking the more important traits.  Lock would be a similar pick.

What exactly are you trying to dispute here?  

Obviously, we don't know how these players will perform on the big stage, but Lock is a much more polished prospect heading into the draft than Lynch or osweiler were. Not all Tall, Big-armed QB's are created equally, see Wentz, Carson and Goff, Jared…

On 2/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, listen2me 23 said:

Dont understand the move for Denver.  

Once in a while there are late-bloomer QBs.  Rich Gannon, Chris Chandler, Doug Flutie, Brad Johnson and Vinny Testaverde all had the best play after age 33.  Maybe the Broncos see something they can fix.

I just don't see Flacco being the answer. He had a great run in the playoffs when the Ravens won it all. Oherwise, I don't see anything special about him. And he got paid for that Superbowl he won.

I think the Broncos are reaching with Flacco. 

Again I’m not even sure he’s a upgrade over Keenum.  

Elway needs  to keep the fans interested, and unfortunately bringing in Flacco will work on some fans to think he will be the answer. 

They will draft a Qb and they need to, but they need WRs and a te also  

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Obviously, we don't know how these players will perform on the big stage, but Lock is a much more polished prospect heading into the draft than Lynch or osweiler were. Not all Tall, Big-armed QB's are created equally, see Wentz, Carson and Goff, Jared…

I havent said all tall QBs suck.  Obviously that isnt true.

Simply, some GMs or fans put too much stock in the big arm/big qb.  

Obviously if you have good instincts and accuracy and an understanding of defenses AND have a great arm you will be a good QB.  Arm and Size is down the list of things I think makes a good QB in my opinion.  Most starting QBs in the league have at least solid arms.  

Maybe Lock will be good.  I say nay. You say yay.  We will see where he goes.

2 hours ago, riversco said:

Once in a while there are late-bloomer QBs.  Rich Gannon, Chris Chandler, Doug Flutie, Brad Johnson and Vinny Testaverde all had the best play after age 33.  Maybe the Broncos see something they can fix.

Yeah I guess I can agree.  But after the drop Keenum had coming to Denver, they shouldnt be too high on their ability to do QB hocus pocus.

I'm not ready to say Lock will be good, I don't know. He is however a better prospect than both Lynch and especially Osweiler. Those guys were looked at as projects coming out. Lock has been a top -tier prospect for two years, playing in arguably the best conference in College Football. The only real knock against him is he underperformed against Alabama and Georgia, but so did almost everyone save TUA and Trevor Lawrence. We don't even know if that rumor that Elway Loves Lock is true. Should be interesting to see it all play out. Cheers.