Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Daytona 500

Ill be watching because its Daytona, but as a guy that has been a life long NASCAR fan, this is the hardest year for me to get excited about the season. As thousands of fans have said...its just not the same.

Nasty a fan but curious what's different

21 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Will there be lots of rubbin' out there today?

Days of thunder is the limit of my Nascar knowledge as well

😂

Hope there is actually some racing today. The Busch race was quite possibly the worst race I’ve ever watched. I get that Daytona is the crown jewel, but it’s just not a good race with the plates, drafting rules and aero packages they have now.

I wish NASCAR would get rid of all of the crappy Super Speedway races. Pocono, Indy, Charlotte, etc. are consistently the worst races of the season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mobb_deep said:

The Busch race 

Youre a real fan.  I would question your knowledge and passion if you called it Xfinity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Nasty a fan but curious what's different

I think its a combination of things that started years ago.  I would say the following have something to do with it. 

Earnhardt dying/Jr retiring.  The sport will never fully recover from these.  Even with Sr retired, he would still be a fixture in the sport like Petty was for years.

Abandoning some of the markets that sustained them for 40+ years

Pricing regular fans out of races

The charters

Brian France

Messing around with aero packages too much

26 minutes ago, mobb_deep said:

Hope there is actually some racing today. The Busch race was quite possibly the worst race I’ve ever watched. I get that Daytona is the crown jewel, but it’s just not a good race with the plates, drafting rules and aero packages they have now.

I wish NASCAR would get rid of all of the crappy Super Speedway races. Pocono, Indy, Charlotte, etc. are consistently the worst races of the season. 

It’s been trash the last 15 years. And mostly it’s the drivers being more overly cautious in the first half of races than they were in the 90s and before. No matter what they do to the aero package you’ll never have the same results because the drivers are simply more polite now and it’s lame. They are all buddies now. 

Charlotte is one of the best races a year and it’s their “home” event. I love the 600. Nothing beats the fall Richmond race though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I think its a combination of things that started years ago.  I would say the following have something to do with it. 

Earnhardt dying/Jr retiring.  The sport will never fully recover from these.  Even with Sr retired, he would still be a fixture in the sport like Petty was for years.

The charters

Brian France

And every single driver except a few had their path paved to Cup pretty easily. No drivers claw their way up anymore. Daniel Hemric and Anderson are the only ones that did it the old skewl way. 

I have a cool story about Hemric (making his first start in the 500 today) in 2009 we were running a race in Monroe Louisiana at a brand new track called Monroe Speedway. All the big guys were there.. Pistone, Hair.. all the big local names. Probably about 50-60 cars signed up to qualify. Little baby Hemric showed up and waxed the entire field and that’s kind of when he got hooked up with some people in NASCAR and the rest is history. But I’ve known since then he would be in Cup. He is sooooooo good. Next Jimmie Johnson, you heard it here first. 

24 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

The charters

Brian France

I've never been to a race, but thinking about taking the fam to Michigans race. You say they are pricing regular fans out (I'm a geek club millionaire so I'm not worried) how much am I looking at spending?

16 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I've never been to a race, but thinking about taking the fam to Michigans race. You say they are pricing regular fans out (I'm a geek club millionaire so I'm not worried) how much am I looking at spending?

I have no idea now, especially for Michigan.  I would imagine you would have to drop about $75 a piece for decent seats.  Back when I was really going to tracks regularly, I was paying $125-150 for good seats. Its hard to make that a family outing. Thats alot of peoples vacation budget.

43 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

It’s been trash the last 15 years. And mostly it’s the drivers being more overly cautious in the first half of races than they were in the 90s and before. No matter what they do to the aero package you’ll never have the same results because the drivers are simply more polite now and it’s lame. They are all buddies now. 

Charlotte is one of the best races a year and it’s their “home” event. I love the 600. Nothing beats the fall Richmond race though. 

That’s my favorite track too. I also like Martinsville, Phoenix/ISM, and Bristol. Would love to do a trip to Nashville and then catch the night race at Bristol.

On a side note... the new forearm looks nice. Haven’t posted since the upgrade. About time Mike allow embedded images. Too bad he waited for the forearm to die before he did it.

53 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I used to have 2 tix to both Clt races and RIR.  20 years ago, those seats were like NFL season tix. RIR seated about 90k and there was a waiting list for good tix. I swore I would never give them up. Now, by watching TV, it looks like they have maybe 25k. Sadly, lots of tracks are tearing down bleachers or covering with tarps.  Maybe stock car racing just isnt sustainable these days.

1 hour ago, mobb_deep said:

That’s my favorite track too. I also like Martinsville, Phoenix/ISM, and Bristol. Would love to do a trip to Nashville and then catch the night race at Bristol.

On a side note... the new forearm looks nice. Haven’t posted since the upgrade. About time Mike allow embedded images. Too bad he waited for the forearm to die before he did it.

Same here dude. Richmond, Marty and Bristol are on my bucketlist. Been to Daytona, Atlanta and Homestead so far.

i don’t know how the GC was in the past but I like that there’s 20-30 posters and I know all the characters. I don’t know how anyone keeps up with what anyone says on FBG

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I used to have 2 tix to both Clt races and RIR.  20 years ago, those seats were like NFL season tix. RIR seated about 90k and there was a waiting list for good tix. I swore I would never give them up. Now, by watching TV, it looks like they have maybe 25k. Sadly, lots of tracks are tearing down bleachers or covering with tarps.  Maybe stock car racing just isnt sustainable these days.

I personally believe you’ll see a resurgence in racing when electric cars take off. Formula E and NASCAR electric (when they do it) will be huge. NASCAR was huge because there use to be more car guys so people wanted to watch the car they owned race. I think a new enthusiasm for cars will be found in the next generation with electric cars. I could be way off base but that’s my theory. Have you seen the electric spring cars? Kinda cool.

Daytona to me is must watch. I used to watch a decent amount of neckcar, but that's long gone. 

Daytona means spring is on it's way. The Masters means spring is HERE!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Same here dude. Richmond, Marty and Bristol are on my bucketlist. Been to Daytona, Atlanta and Homestead so far.

i don’t know how the GC was in the past but I liked that there’s 20-30 posters and I know all the characters. I don’t know how anyone keeps up with what anyone said on FBG

It would be cool if 20 of the 30 characters weren’t insufferable dooshbags. Not that I’d ever post at FBG. Agree on that 100%. :cheers:

• Haha 1

If any of you guys are familiar with Sam Bass- the artist who designed many of the paint schemes for the drivers and did the program cover art work for Charlotte and other tracks- Sam passed away yesterday.

Great guy who managed to live his dream, combining his love of NASCAR and his artwork to earn a living.

The 600 at Charlotte was always special, hang at Sams art gallery during the day, walking distance to the track. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Old School said:

If any of you guys are familiar with Sam Bass- the artist who designed many of the paint schemes for the drivers and did the program cover art work for Charlotte and other tracks- Sam passed away yesterday.

Great guy who managed to live his dream, combining his love of NASCAR and his artwork to earn a living.

The 600 at Charlotte was always special, hang at Sams art gallery during the day, walking distance to the track. 

He was a super nice, humble guy.  I have a few of his pieces.  A friend of mine went to college with him.  We saw him every time we went to Clt.

Everyone pick a winner and a dark horse (any driver that didn’t make the chase last year)

i got:

BK

Hemric

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Everyone pick a winner and a dark horse (any driver that didn’t make the chase last year)

i got:

Harvick

BK

Hemric

Why did you pick three?

I'll go with:

Truex

Menard

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Why did you pick three?

I'll go with:

Truex

Menard

Alright I’ll change it to two.. and just an accident 

Winner - Kurt Busch

Dark Horse - Cody Ware

Winner: Clint Bowyer

Dark Horse: Matt DiBenedetto 

19 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Winner: Clint Bowyer

Dark Horse: Matt DiBenedetto 

Didn't expect him to be out front this early. Doesn't bode well for my pick. :(

Go Shrub :banana:

Quite possibly the most talented driver in the field. 

Well with the massive advantage of not choosing until 37 laps into it---pretty much could leave this contest open until 'The Big One'.  

Elliot and William Bryon.

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Well with the massive advantage of not choosing until 37 laps into it---pretty much could leave this contest open until 'The Big One'.  

Elliot and William Bryon.

It's Daytoner. We could wait for the last 3 laps and it would still be a toss up. 

36 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Go Shrub :banana:

Quite possibly the most talented driver in the field. 

👍

Winner Kyle Busch

Dark horse Erik Jones

Gibbs all day!!

39 minutes ago, mobb_deep said:

👍

Winner Kyle Busch

Dark horse Erik Jones

Gibbs all day!!

Jones made the chase last year 

There went my dark horse. :(

Sucks hard for Matt. He was running so well all day.

I love Waltrip as the accident happens..."are you kidding me?"...he was just joking about the big one going to happen.   

This race is always such a crap shoot.  You just hope your guy isn't involved in the big one.