Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

So what is the geek club reading these days?  I’m always looking for something good to read.

I just finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  It’s a post apocalyptic horror/thriller.  Think “The Stand” but maybe a bit darker.  I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Replay - Ken Grimwood, it took half the book for me to get into it but I did like it when I finished it.

The Song of Achillies - Madeline Miller, Fantastic book. Although the gay teenage sex was a little much.

Circe - Madeline Miller, It's a stand alone book but takes place after Song of achillies. It's okay so far. Sometimes it fun and sometimes it's boring.

Dark tide series by John Ringo.  Great military sci fi.  Great take on the zombie apocalypse.  

He has several other great series as well.

Mmmmbeer turned me on to him.

• Like 1

Peacemaking Among Higher Order Primates - Jordan B Peterson

Not reading much. Hate that I’m not. However in the middle of the Mitch Rapp series. Probably won’t read something else until I catch up here. 

Interested in the new book in girl with dragon tattoo series too. Author dead but ghost writer picked it up. 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, Big Blue 06 said:

So what is the geek club reading these days?  I’m always looking for something good to read.

I just finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  It’s a post apocalyptic horror/thriller.  Think “The Stand” but maybe a bit darker.  I really enjoyed it.

I read a book called Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven. It was basically Lord of the Flies set in Disneyworld. I thought it was trash but read it in 3 days. :dunno:

Moving through Best of the Best Horror of the Year, collection of short stories from the past decade. It’s been pretty consistently excellent if you like that sort of thing.

Just started "Winter World" by A.G. Riddle.  His "Atlantis Gene" trilogy is one of the best sci-fi books I've read so I'll give anything he writes a shot.

Listening to a few classics on audio lately.

Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson, A Raisin in The Sun, The Old Man and The Sea, The Call of the Wild, Of Mice and Men

• Like 1

facebook 

8 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Oooh, good answer, good answer....survey says:

I am such an airhead, I didn't realize I was saying something with book in the title :wall:

people get all their news from FB that's for sure. Momo 🙄

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am such an airhead, I didn't realize I was saying something with book in the title :wall:

people get all their news from FB that's for sure. Momo 🙄

I wasn't kidding, I liked your answer, it made me laugh.   

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

I wasn't kidding, I liked your answer, it made me laugh.   

I know. it was unintended. :(

Normally I am better than that. barely

3 hours ago, edjr said:

I know. it was unintended. :(

Normally I am better than that. barely

Link? :dunno:

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Cloaca du jour said:

Dark tide series by John Ringo.  Great military sci fi.  Great take on the zombie apocalypse.  

He has several other great series as well.

Mmmmbeer turned me on to him.

Actually a new book of short stories set in that world came out yesterday.

While playing Monopoly back in the day, am I the only one that pronounced Reading Railroad, reading and not reading?

52 minutes ago, edjr said:

While playing Monopoly back in the day, am I the only one that pronounced Reading Railroad, reading and not reading?

yes

moron

On 3/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, Kanil said:

Just started "Winter World" by A.G. Riddle.  His "Atlantis Gene" trilogy is one of the best sci-fi books I've read so I'll give anything he writes a shot.

I have it purchased in my kindle app... might start it soon.

I'm reading Midnight's children by Salman Rushdie. I just started, but so far it's great. He's an amazing writer.

So fellow readers, you should all buy an ereader. Kindle or kodo, whichever. Then get your books for free here...

http://www.libgen.io/

Then use a free program called calibre to load the books over to your ereader. It's really easy, and you will never pay for books again. 

My public service for the year. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I'm reading Midnight's children by Salman Rushdie. I just started, but so far it's great. He's an amazing writer.

So fellow readers, you should all buy an ereader. Kindle or kodo, whichever. Then get your books for free here...

http://www.libgen.io/

Then use a free program called calibre to load the books over to your ereader. It's really easy, and you will never pay for books again. 

My public service for the year. 

Or just download an app called FBReader and you can open any .epub in there I've heard.

Just now, mmmmm...beer said:

Or just download an app called FBReader and you can open any .epub in there I've heard.

Sure. There are numerous apps that will do that. Moon reader. Aldiko. Etc.

Personally I hate reading on my phone or tablet. The light rapes my eyes, and the phone isnt big enough. I'm getting old, I gotta make the print big.

I have the newest kindle oasis. Love that thing. The kobo forma is also good. Can open more types of files, and has red backlighitng instead of blue like kindle, which supposedly interferes with melatonin production and sleep.

But yeah, read it wherever you like. I was mainly meaning to share the free book site. That place has been a game changer for me. I have hundreds of books saved up to be read. 

On 3/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kanil said:

I read that series and just finished book one of a two book series called Pandemic. It wasn't quite as good as the Atlantas books, but I also haven't gotten to book two. I was actually going to mention Winter World as a book I wanted to read seeing as it has a Perfect review score just about. Unfortunately I have a bit of reading to go in the first two books of a series by John Ringo and David Weber called Empire of Man. Winter world is next though

Mad, Cracked, Creem & Circus 😜

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I read that series and just finished book one of a two book series called Pandemic. It wasn't quite as good as the Atlantas books, but I also haven't gotten to book two. I was actually going to mention Winter World as a book I wanted to read seeing as it has a Perfect review score just about. Unfortunately I have a bit of reading to go in the first two books of a series by John Ringo and David Weber called Empire of Man. Winter world is next though

Empire of Man is frickin great.  Ringo is my favorite author.

5 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Empire of Man is frickin great.  Ringo is my favorite author.

I started reading on your recommendation. I am enjoying it so far.

Sitting here tired as hell from reading Ringo till 2am last night...should be a productive day on the fryolater

6 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Sitting here tired as hell from reading Ringo till 2am last night...should be a productive day on the fryolater

Haha!  I've had friends call me on a work day morning... thanks a lot d!ck!  Up until the qee hours reading that book.

I just finished the first book March Upcountry. I had some space between the first three quarters of the book and the last quarter. That kind of me up. I wasn't sure which faction stood for what. I may take another break and read Winter World... 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I just finished the first book March Upcountry. I had some space between the first three quarters of the book and the last quarter. That kind of me up. I wasn't sure which faction stood for what. I may take another break and read Winter World... 

Dont sweat it...its easy to pick up

So a new author I tried out and ended up really getting into his series is Will Wright.  It's a fantasy book, sorta martial arts with different magic... anyway... pretty good series.  I was pleasently surprised.  I'll be watching this guy for sure.  The 6th book just came out... finished it in a day.  Here's the first book.  All are free on Amazon Unlimited or like $2.99 on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Unsouled-Cradle-Volume-1/dp/B07GT7XT9T/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=RSULNR1M8O0W&keywords=will+wright+cradle&qid=1551979196&s=gateway&sprefix=will+wright&sr=8-6

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kanil said:

I finished Winter World. I think that was my single favorite book by AG Riddle. It was much more to the point than his other books, so it was nice to see a little change in style. I am now eager about the second book in the series

On 3/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

So a new author I tried out and ended up really getting into his series is Will Wright.  It's a fantasy book, sorta martial arts with different magic... anyway... pretty good series.  I was pleasently surprised.  I'll be watching this guy for sure.  The 6th book just came out... finished it in a day.  Here's the first book.  All are free on Amazon Unlimited or like $2.99 on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Unsouled-Cradle-Volume-1/dp/B07GT7XT9T/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=RSULNR1M8O0W&keywords=will+wright+cradle&qid=1551979196&s=gateway&sprefix=will+wright&sr=8-6

The single most addictive series I have read. I was annoyed when I found out the 7th book doesn't come out for another 8 months. Plus the series won't end there. The books are too damn short, because it took me about 2-2.5 weeks to read all 6 books. 

It's probably a good thing I am out of Cradle books to read, since I spent every free moment I had reading it. Will Wight is an unbelievably smooth writer. I'm tempted to read some of his other series next. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

The single most addictive series I have read. I was annoyed when I found out the 7th book doesn't come out for another 8 months. Plus the series won't end there. The books are too damn short, because it took me about 2-2.5 weeks to read all 6 books. 

It's probably a good thing I am out of Cradle books to read, since I spent every free moment I had reading it. Will Wight is an unbelievably smooth writer. I'm tempted to read some of his other series next. 

I saw them too... this Cradle series was stellar fornsure.  I may just grab them all as well.

5 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I saw them too... this Cradle series was stellar fornsure.  I may just grab them all as well.

Added to my list.

I just discovered CJ Box, his Joe Pickett series is about a Game and Fish agent in northern Wyoming who deals with all sorts of crimes. 

Similar to the Longmire series.

I'm reading the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. I think a lot of you geeks would love it. It's pretty badass. Apparently they are making a tv show. 

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rising-Pierce-Brown/dp/034553980X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3BT1HTTD7LXNK&keywords=red+rising+trilogy&qid=1553996853&s=gateway&sprefix=red+rising&sr=8-1