Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

On 4/2/2019 at 12:52 PM, Kanil said:

I read to escape from reality.  I'd rather stab myself in the ear with a rusty railroad spike than read about politics.

I read to enhance my understanding and perspective for the most part. To grow. But I do also enjoy the occasional fiction.  

In general I read or hear some of the excrement from a politicians mouth, or from some repugnant activist, and I am better equipped to see the lies.

Just finished reading "Recursion" by Blake Crouch...  A very good sci-fi book IMO...

On 9/3/2019 at 7:08 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

So apparently Columbiano is possibly being made into a series. Same company who did narcos is in talks with the author. Would be a Badass show. Hope it happens. 

Currently reading some books from Bill O'Reilly's "Killing" series...

Finished up "Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever" and now reading "Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot"...

I read 42 books last year. An all time high for me.

Just read a collection of short mostly horror stories called Nocturnes by an Irish guy named John Connolly. It was consistently excellent. 

Re-reading Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson now. And it is also excellent.

14 minutes ago, Kanil said:

So when does book 8 come out?  Impatiently waiting.

Im in book six...definately different.  Im enjoying it and like the pace..im kinda lost when the story goes to the iterations and what not with suriel...and the whole goldsign attacking thing...i cant visualize wtf they are talking about lol.  First they are wearing their goldsign..then they fight with it?!?... some parts have me confused.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Im in book six...definately different.  Im enjoying it and like the pace..im kinda lost when the story goes to the iterations and what not with suriel...and the whole goldsign attacking thing...i cant visualize wtf they are talking about lol.  First they are wearing their goldsign..then they fight with it?!?... some parts have me confused.

SPOILER TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE SERIES

The Suriel story arc is happening at the same time as Lindon's arc. There is a major threat building on a cosmic scale, which i can only assume pulls Lindon into the scrum down the road. 

Gold signs are all very different. Yerin has 6 blades that stick out of her back. Some clans all have the same gold sign like metal hair that acts as a shield for their head (there are a few exceptions). Some gold signs serve no physical purpose like Lindons. His eyes just glow red when he cycles his black flame madra.

• Like 1

Just finished "The Priory of the Orange Tree".  It was pretty good and worth the read.  Only one book (but it's a big one) so no waiting for books 2/3 to come out!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kanil said:

Just finished "The Priory of the Orange Tree".  It was pretty good and worth the read.  Only one book (but it's a big one) so no waiting for books 2/3 to come out!

I just downloaded it to my kindle to read on your recommendation. The fact that it calls itself "feminist fantasy" does not give me the warm fuzzy. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:59 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

SPOILER TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE SERIES

The Suriel story arc is happening at the same time as Lindon's arc. There is a major threat building on a cosmic scale, which i can only assume pulls Lindon into the scrum down the road. 

Gold signs are all very different. Yerin has 6 blades that stick out of her back. Some clans all have the same gold sign like metal hair that acts as a shield for their head (there are a few exceptions). Some gold signs serve no physical purpose like Lindons. His eyes just glow red when he cycles his black flame madra.

Thanks !!!

10 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I just downloaded it to my kindle to read on your recommendation. The fact that it calls itself "feminist fantasy" does not give me the warm fuzzy. 

lol... I didn't even notice that.  And now that I think of it, lots of the characters are female.

• Haha 1

I just read “The Ranger’s Apprentice” to my son. It didn’t reinvent the sword and sorcery fantasy novel but it was really well written and had good characters. I’d recommend it for kids in the 7/8-10/11 range.

I got a ton of books for Christmas but haven’t gotten into them much other than rereading Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson. 

I am attempting to read the Bible through in one year following a guide of best way to do it.A little OT a little NT and some Psalms and Proverbs daily.

Just about to finish mountain man 4

Really enjoying this series

5 hours ago, MDC said:

I just read “The Ranger’s Apprentice” to my son. It didn’t reinvent the sword and sorcery fantasy novel but it was really well written and had good characters. I’d recommend it for kids in the 7/8-10/11 range.

I got a ton of books for Christmas but haven’t gotten into them much other than rereading Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson. 

My son (10) is burning through Harry Potter right now. He's on book 3 and just started reading them over Christmas break.

I'll check out your recommendation

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

My son (10) is burning through Harry Potter right now. He's on book 3 and just started reading them over Christmas break.

I'll check out your recommendation

My son (7) really enjoyed it and I liked it too. We are moving on to book 2 this weekend. Let me know what you think.

10 hours ago, Kanil said:

lol... I didn't even notice that.  And now that I think of it, lots of the characters are female.

Im 8 chapters in. Digging it well enough so far. I have a day at the hotel chilling, and a seven hour train ride tomorrow, so I'll plow through it quickly.

Have you read the shadow and bone and six of crows books? I have those on deck next. 

8 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Im 8 chapters in. Digging it well enough so far. I have a day at the hotel chilling, and a seven hour train ride tomorrow, so I'll plow through it quickly.

Have you read the shadow and bone and six of crows books? I have those on deck next. 

No, but adding them to the list now.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:09 PM, Kanil said:

No, but adding them to the list now.

Just finished orange tree. I thought it was quite good, in spite of the feminist tint. I mean, I plowed through the 800 pages in just a few days while I was doing other stuff, so that's always good. 

8 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Just finished orange tree. I thought it was quite good, in spite of the feminist tint. I mean, I plowed through the 800 pages in just a few days while I was doing other stuff, so that's always good. 

I'm on Siege and Storm right now.  Enjoying it so far. 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:19 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I'll be starting shadow and bone tonight. One book behind you I guess. 

Just finished the series. Not bad at all. Glad I picked it up. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:42 PM, Kanil said:

Just finished the series. Not bad at all. Glad I picked it up. 

I missed all the talk about this.  While I enjoyed the Shadow and Bone series, I loved the Six of Crows duology much more.  Definitely worth reading;  that’s one of the series that I’ve read a few times.

6 hours ago, Big Blue 06 said:

I missed all the talk about this.  While I enjoyed the Shadow and Bone series, I loved the Six of Crows duology much more.  Definitely worth reading;  that’s one of the series that I’ve read a few times.

I read the preview and saw it was a "heist" story and decided not to get it.  Now I might have to.

Started a biography on Edison by Edmund Murrow, who wrote a Pulitzer-winning trilogy on Teddy Roosevelt, but I'm about to give up.  It's written in an interesting style which goes backwards by decade, with each decade having a focus on a discipline (e.g., his last decade was focused on botany, particularly a quest to establish a source of rubber from within the US, which he viewed as strategically and militarily critical).  The earlier chapters (later in life) were more interesting because he was a cult icon and had input on a lot of world events including WWI.  Also I read it in the holidays with larger chunks of time.  Now I'm slogging through with small time chunks and realizing that the author hasn't really developed characters, and he seems more interested in impressing the reader with his depth of technical research (which as an electrical engineer, is indeed quite impressive).  Basically, not recommended.

On a related note, I don't read as quickly as I'd like, so my next book is "Essential Speed Reading Techniques" by Katya Seberson.  I picked this because it seems realistic with actual techniques and reasonable expectations for improvement.  Will report.  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Kanil said:

I read the preview and saw it was a "heist" story and decided not to get it.  Now I might have to.

It is but not the way you think.  Honestly, I walked by it in the bookstore a dozen times, thought about it and passed.  Finally got it, read it and absolutely loved it.

5 minutes ago, Big Blue 06 said:

It is but not the way you think.  Honestly, I walked by it in the bookstore a dozen times, thought about it and passed.  Finally got it, read it and absolutely loved it.

I never heard of it until a week or so ago. I miss things like that living in Riceland.

The bone and shadow series is ok. Not mind blowing, just ok. I liked priory of the Orange Tree better. 

I'm also reading El narco. Narcos mexico has me interested in all that. I will also read some stuff about the Manson case. I just watched the new Tarantino flick.

Also will read "we." anyone read it? Supposedly Orwell ripped a lot of 1984 from this book. Now that I'm home, I can pirate books again. Fock paying money for them. 

7 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I never heard of it until a week or so ago. I miss things like that living in Riceland.

The bone and shadow series is ok. Not mind blowing, just ok. I liked priory of the Orange Tree better. 

I'm also reading El narco. Narcos mexico has me interested in all that. I will also read some stuff about the Manson case. I just watched the new Tarantino flick.

Also will read "we." anyone read it? Supposedly Orwell ripped a lot of 1984 from this book. Now that I'm home, I can pirate books again. Fock paying money for them. 

Yeah for me the shadow and bone series was Decent.  Not great but decent.  Six of Crows is set in the same universe, cut with completely new (and much improved and fully formed) characters.

i am looking for a new book.  Will have to check out Orange Tree. 

I started reading "Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football" by Merril Hoge.  I still have about 4 other books that I purchased, but have not cracked yet.  

Any Clive Cussler fans?  Check out the dirk pitt series...fantastic takes on history with an indiana jones kinda flair.  Fun...and about 15 books...start with pacific vortex.