Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

On 1/9/2020 at 1:29 PM, posty said:

Currently reading some books from Bill O'Reilly's "Killing" series...

Finished up "Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever" and now reading "Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot"...

How are those? It seems like it would be up my alley but I have a hard time pulling the trigger on them.  Is it just a retelling of the facts of those cases or what's the story line?

I just finished reading a book called “The Librarian of Auschwitz”.  As you can gather from the title, it was a bit heavy and a bit dark, but I enjoyed it.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, cyclone24 said:

How are those? It seems like it would be up my alley but I have a hard time pulling the trigger on them.  Is it just a retelling of the facts of those cases or what's the story line?

They aren't bad...  I have read Lincoln, Kennedy and the Rising Sun... There are some inaccuracies in the Lincoln book for sure, but to me they read like a thriller...  I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I started the books, I think I was expecting some historical items that weren't as well known, and they might have been in there, but after reading them and then reading about some inaccuracies, I don't know what to believe or not...

I would suggest maybe reading Kennedy or Lincoln first and see for yourself...  I was wanting to read some more, but I am 50/50 at the moment...

Tad williams...something about angels and urban fantasy...jim butcher like...waiting fornthe next Cradle..

7 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Will Wight the author of the "Cradle" series several of us like is giving awy one of his trilogies for the next few days.  I read it... not bad if you like scifi/fatnasty.

https://www.amazon.com/House-Blades-Travelers-Gate-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00D52X58Y

Still waiting on Bloodfallen. 

Im reading The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin

13 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Still waiting on Bloodfallen. 

Im reading The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin

Read broken earf... I think it may have caught the gay at some point.

5 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Read broken earf... I think it may have caught the gay at some point.

The author definitely shows her minority traits in her characters

Currently reading "Humble Pi:  When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World" by Matt Parker.  Easy read, and fun if you have a touch of math geek in you.

Next up is Scythe by Neal Shusterman.  My daughter recommended it; she is on book 3 so it is at least a trilogy.  A future utopian (dystopian?) world where disease and death are conquered, except they whack people to keep population under control.  Sounds kinda like Logan's Run in that regard.  She said it starts slowly for the first 100 pages or so but then moves a mile a minute thereafter.  If I like it I'll probably continue on in the series.

After that I may try Cormac McCarthy; my wife just mentioned The Road from a twitter post, it is the only book of his I've read, and I really enjoyed it and the unique writing style.  Maybe I'll try No Country for Old Men, as I've never seen the movie other than snippets.  Suggestions are welcome.  :cheers:

On 3/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, posty said:

"The Long Walk" by Richard Bachman

Just finished this up...  Damn it felt like King just wanted to finish the book quickly with that ending...

I just finished Dr. Sleep by Stephen King, Book 2 of The Shining. I would not recommend it, it seemed like King wasn’t even trying. 

On 3/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, jerryskids said:

Currently reading "Humble Pi:  When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World" by Matt Parker.  Easy read, and fun if you have a touch of math geek in you.

Next up is Scythe by Neal Shusterman.  My daughter recommended it; she is on book 3 so it is at least a trilogy.  A future utopian (dystopian?) world where disease and death are conquered, except they whack people to keep population under control.  Sounds kinda like Logan's Run in that regard.  She said it starts slowly for the first 100 pages or so but then moves a mile a minute thereafter.  If I like it I'll probably continue on in the series.

After that I may try Cormac McCarthy; my wife just mentioned The Road from a twitter post, it is the only book of his I've read, and I really enjoyed it and the unique writing style.  Maybe I'll try No Country for Old Men, as I've never seen the movie other than snippets.  Suggestions are welcome.  :cheers:

I actually picked up the Scythe series recently, as it seemed pretty interesting.  Based on this review, I will read that next.

Currently I am reading Full Throttle, a series of short stories by Joe Hill.  Pretty solid this far.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, jerryskids said:

Next up is Scythe by Neal Shusterman. 

How was it?

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Just started it, will advise.

Thanks...  I was thinking about taking a shot at it when I finish up Orwell's "1984"...

Tad williams dirty streets of heaven...

3 books in series so far ...in the vein of dresden and the battle between heaven and hell.  Cool take and modern spin on the whole angel/demon dynamic.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Big Blue 06 said:

Currently I am reading Full Throttle, a series of short stories by Joe Hill.  Pretty solid this far.

Isn’t that Stephen King's son ?

How is it ?

17 hours ago, posty said:

Thanks...  I was thinking about taking a shot at it when I finish up Orwell's "1984"...

1984 for the first time? You're in for a treat. 

1 hour ago, shotsup said:

Isn’t that Stephen King's son ?

How is it ?

It is Stephen King’s son.  He is a very talented writer and his short stories in this book are really well done.  There are 14 in the book and I’ve really enjoyed 11 or 12.  

he has a bunch of other books, one of which I read, The Fireman.  Pretty solid.

18 hours ago, posty said:

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I've been tempted to give 1984 a shot, but just never did.  Maybe I'll give it a go.

1 hour ago, Big Blue 06 said:

It is Stephen King’s son.  He is a very talented writer and his short stories in this book are really well done.  There are 14 in the book and I’ve really enjoyed 11 or 12.  

he has a bunch of other books, one of which I read, The Fireman.  Pretty solid.

Thanks. I’m going to pickup Full Throttle. I love good short stories. I just googled him. Holy Shitbird he looks just like him. 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I've been tempted to give 1984 a shot, but just never did.  Maybe I'll give it a go.

I sometimes think the far liberal left views 1984 as a "how-to" manual, which I don't think was Orwell's intention.  :unsure:

This just literally happen a minute ago. Son said he was going to watch The Martian for Film Study class. I said STOP. Read the book first. 
Turns out he already saw the movie but now he has to watch from a different perspective and take notes. 

Said it before in this thread (probably) really good book. 

24 minutes ago, shotsup said:

This just literally happen a minute ago. Son said he was going to watch The Martian for Film Study class. I said STOP. Read the book first. 
Turns out he already saw the movie but now he has to watch from a different perspective and take notes. 

That is a great book...  Have you read Artemis by him?  I enjoyed that book as well...

22 minutes ago, posty said:

That is a great book...  Have you read Artemis by him?  I enjoyed that book as well...

I actually didn’t even know he wrote another book. Will have to check it out. Thanks

1 hour ago, shotsup said:

Yep.  The Martian was a great read. 

I’m currently reading the 6th Mitch Rapp book Executive Power by Vince Flynn

On 4/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, jerryskids said:

Just started it, will advise.

So what did you think of Scythe?  I really enjoyed it and am on the hold list for the second and third books...

1 hour ago, posty said:

So what did you think of Scythe?  I really enjoyed it and am on the hold list for the second and third books...

Been slow-reading it, maybe 100 pages in.  So far I'd say it is good not great.  The premise is very good, but the author seems to take a lot of liberties with the "suspension of disbelief" concept, thus far anyway.  I discussed this with my daughter who read it and she said that some of my thoughts/concerns are addressed later in this book and/or in future books.  Regardless, I can see where this is going I think, and I can see why my daughter says it would take off soon.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, posty said:

.  Have you read Artemis by him?  I enjoyed that book as well...

Finished it over the weekend- was good. Not as good as Martian but definitely worth a read. Weir is a space nerd 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:59 PM, jerryskids said:

Been slow-reading it, maybe 100 pages in.  So far I'd say it is good not great.  The premise is very good, but the author seems to take a lot of liberties with the "suspension of disbelief" concept, thus far anyway.  I discussed this with my daughter who read it and she said that some of my thoughts/concerns are addressed later in this book and/or in future books.  Regardless, I can see where this is going I think, and I can see why my daughter says it would take off soon.

Dang I'm slow reading this book.  It's not an indictment of the book, it's me -- I tend to just read a few pages of whatever I'm reading before I go to sleep, it's the habit I've fallen into, but it results in taking 3 months to finish a book.  Anyway, I just finished the second part and some ish hit the fan at the end, so I think I'm where this book is about to turn into Fast and Furious meets John Wick meets Harry Potter.  We'll see.  :cheers:

15 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Finished it over the weekend- was good. Not as good as Martian but definitely worth a read. Weir is a space nerd 

I agree with that...

Just finished up "Station Eleven"...  I enjoyed the book a lot, but I like reading post-apocalyptic books...

3 hours ago, posty said:

Just finished up "Station Eleven"...  I enjoyed the book a lot, but I like reading post-apocalyptic books...

Just looked it up, as I’m a fan of that genre as well.  I will put this on my list. :cheers:

ETA: just recently read “Earth Abides”.  It is supposed to be a classic in this same area, but I really didn’t like it.  A little too slow for me and the writing style didn’t do it for me.  However, if you like this type of thing, maybe give it a shot.  Could have just not been for me, as most people call it a classic.

6 minutes ago, Big Blue 06 said:

Just looked it up, as I’m a fan of that genre as well.  I will put this on my list. :cheers:

ETA: just recently read “Earth Abides”.  It is supposed to be a classic in this same area, but I really didn’t like it.  A little too slow for me and the writing style didn’t do it for me.  However, if you like this type of thing, maybe give it a shot.  Could have just not been for me, as most people call it a classic.

Thanks...  I put a hold on it so will check it out when it becomes available...

On 4/10/2020 at 11:54 AM, shotsup said:

I’m currently reading the 6th Mitch Rapp book Executive Power by Vince Flynn

I have been binge listening to the entire series over the last 6 months or so, wish I could go back in time to Executive Power. It and the next 3-4 were the sweet spot of the series, although it has been a great listen to the end.

The next in the series, Memorial Day, is probably my favorite Mitch Rapp book, or at least top 3.

The quality takes a slight downturn after Vince Flynn died and the new guy took over, but still enjoyable.

I have about 25% left in Red War and will be completely cought up with the series. Next one comes out this fall.

Anyone who has read the Mitch Rapp books have any recommendations for similar series? CIA/assassin type stuff?

6 hours ago, posty said:

Yeah that wasn't too bad. Meandered a bit but solid.

Reading The Night Circus now (tried reading The Starless Sea by the same author and it was atrocious) this is better. 

Read most of The Lost Man (terrible)