Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

4 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

I have been binge listening to the entire series over the last 6 months or so, wish I could go back in time to Executive Power. It and the next 3-4 were the sweet spot of the series, although it has been a great listen to the end.

The next in the series, Memorial Day, is probably my favorite Mitch Rapp book, or at least top 3.

The quality takes a slight downturn after Vince Flynn died and the new guy took over, but still enjoyable.

I have about 25% left in Red War and will be completely cought up with the series. Next one comes out this fall.

Anyone who has read the Mitch Rapp books have any recommendations for similar series? CIA/assassin type stuff?

I didn’t even know he died until the AA movie came out and I was quite a few books in. 

I assume you read David Baldacci stuff ? He has a few series along these lines. Camel Club being the oldest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

I have been binge listening to the entire series over the last 6 months or so, wish I could go back in time to Executive Power. It and the next 3-4 were the sweet spot of the series, although it has been a great listen to the end.

The next in the series, Memorial Day, is probably my favorite Mitch Rapp book, or at least top 3.

The quality takes a slight downturn after Vince Flynn died and the new guy took over, but still enjoyable.

I have about 25% left in Red War and will be completely cought up with the series. Next one comes out this fall.

Anyone who has read the Mitch Rapp books have any recommendations for similar series? CIA/assassin type stuff?

Jack reacher stuff.   Kildar series by john ringo.  Some tom clancy books feature asassin style stuff..the ones with john clark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Jack reacher stuff.   Kildar series by john ringo.  Some tom clancy books feature asassin style stuff..the ones with john clark.

John Clark = Without Remorse. Great read. 

I'm on The Huntress right now. Pretty good historical fiction book.

Then doing Wax Pack. A guy takes a pack of baseball cards from 1986 and then tracks down all of them and interviews them. Really looking forward to that one.

Odd Billy Todd - Feel good survivalism. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Will Wight's Cradle series has its new book out, Wintersteel

Wooooo!!!

On 10/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Finished it in a day... now I have to wait forever for the next one again :(.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Finished it in a day... now I have to wait forever for the next one again :(.

Yep. They are short. The series is too good.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:16 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Read it... good addition

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Read it... good addition

I had already finished it when I made my post. Or I was close. Now we wait. I will just play ghost of tsushima to pass the time

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I had already finished it when I made my post. Or I was close. Now we wait. I will just play ghost of tsushima to pass the time

Just rescued Uncle....

9 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

GOTY in my opinion. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:38 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

Guys who dig scifi/fantasy... great triology on Amazon Kindle... about half breed gods etc...  sorta like American Gods type books.  Trilogy.. 3rd book just came out.

I really dug them... just getting into the 3rd one now.

https://www.amazon.com/Paternus-Rise-Gods-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01CXPD8T4

Bought the trilogy solely on this recommendation. I'll report back when I'm done. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Completely agree. Have you tried Legends mode yet?

Yeah... once I got halfway into act 2 I realized I was going to be able to beat it and lost interest. Didn't want to play through the same story again. 

Just finished up the third book in the Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman...  Really enjoy his writings...  Now waiting for the fourth one that is currently on hold...

Recently read The Dark Half by Stephen King. It was ok. 

Then read Animal Farm. It was good, but way overrated I thought. 1984 might be my favorite book.

Now I am rereading A Brief History of Time. 

Just now, Utilit99 said:

"Best way to get caught masterbating on a Zoom call."

Can I borrow it when you are done?

Wait, never mind. 

19 hours ago, Kanil said:

Yeah... once I got halfway into act 2 I realized I was going to be able to beat it and lost interest. Didn't want to play through the same story again. 

The grind is necessary to get the gear for the harder parts of the game. The enemies do get a lot tougher and you need to change your strategy. The weekly challenge on nightmare mode, I still haven't beat it.

my 7 year old reads to me.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:38 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

Guys who dig scifi/fantasy... great triology on Amazon Kindle... about half breed gods etc...  sorta like American Gods type books.  Trilogy.. 3rd book just came out.

I really dug them... just getting into the 3rd one now.

https://www.amazon.com/Paternus-Rise-Gods-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01CXPD8T4

Just starting first book..seems good.  Have you read any of will wights Travelers series..just read the first one.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Just starting first book..seems good.  Have you read any of will wights Travelers series..just read the first one.

Yeah... read them all.. not bad.  Not Cradle good but not bad.

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah... read them all.. not bad.  Not Cradle good but not bad.

There are not many Cradle good series out there. That stuff is on another level.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are not many Cradle good series out there. That stuff is on another level.

I wanted more giant turtle...was disappointed!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I wanted more giant turtle...was disappointed!!

No love for Orthos??

On 10/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, Kanil said:

Bought the trilogy solely on this recommendation. I'll report back when I'm done. 

Did not disappoint. Great suggestion! 

3 hours ago, Kanil said:

Did not disappoint. Great suggestion! 

Cool.... glad it worked out!  I love  great series.

Im reading the Poppy War trilogy by R.F. KUANG. It's a fantasy retelling of 20th century Chinese history. It's quite good. The last one comes out in a week or so I think.

58 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Im reading the Poppy War trilogy by R.F. KUANG. It's a fantasy retelling of 20th century Chinese history. It's quite good. The last one comes out in a week or so I think.

Read thoee.. I did enjoy them.

Death at Sea World - Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity. 

Basically, after studying the animals in the wild; their social groups, intelligence, mental and emotional health; they basically go crazy in captivity...end up killing each other and their trainers. Lots of cover ups over the years, etc. Very interesting in how they used years of studying them in the wild to explain a lot of their illnesses, physical and mental. 

Next up is one of the biographies about Robert Downey Jr. I love his comeback story abs how he basically saved the Marvel company. 

11 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Death at Sea World - Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity. 

Basically, after studying the animals in the wild; their social groups, intelligence, mental and emotional health; they basically go crazy in captivity...end up killing each other and their trainers. Lots of cover ups over the years, etc. Very interesting in how they used years of studying them in the wild to explain a lot of their illnesses, physical and mental. 

Next up is one of the biographies about Robert Downey Jr. I love his comeback story abs how he basically saved the Marvel company. 

Those don't sound like there's ANY swords or lasers in them.  Bet there's not even one kung fu type fight with magics. ☹

53 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Those don't sound like there's ANY swords or lasers in them.  Bet there's not even one kung fu type fight with magics. ☹

I saw that you quoted her. Then I read her post and wondered, has mm beer switched to non fiction reading???

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I saw that you quoted her. Then I read her post and wondered, has mm beer switched to non fiction reading???

They sounded like the boringest. 😐

1 hour ago, mmmmm...beer said:

They sounded like the boringest. 😐

I read a lot of other stuff too.