Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

I'm reading this really REALLY long Korean litrpg type.  It:s translated but the cultural nuance is pretty heavy and hard to get though so etimrs.  That being said I found it in a full book form on that library site Titans through out quite awhile back.

But here is the wuxia link:

The Second Coming of Gluttony

https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/the-second-coming-of-gluttony

I'm on page 4921/7913

That's why I wanted to try it.  It's freaking massive.

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I'm reading this really REALLY long Korean litrpg type.  It:s translated but the cultural nuance is pretty heavy and hard to get though so etimrs.  That being said I found it in a full book form on that library site Titans through out quite awhile back.

But here is the wuxia link:

The Second Coming of Gluttony

https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/the-second-coming-of-gluttony

I'm on page 4921/7913

That's why I wanted to try it. It's freaking massive.

That’s what she said. 

Reading “Shuggie Bain” right now.

I have “A Hologram for the King” on deck.

Just about done with Wool, by Hugh Howey

It's okay. Not sure if I will continue the series.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I read the omnibus ...its a cool series.  Suprising

Reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Really good series that is one of the most popular of all time.

I tried sticking to kindle unlimited, but I was sick of getting a quarter to half way through a book and then not liking it. Seemingly every book has 4.5 stars

17 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Really good series that is one of the most popular of all time.

I tried sticking to kindle unlimited, but I was sick of getting a quarter to half way through a book and then not liking it. Seemingly every book has 4.5 stars

Not all books are on KU either

31 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Not all books are on KU either

Nor even close. I have been just buying the books I want to read.

59 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Use libgen and zlibrary.

You'll need a program called calibre to convert the books and move the books to your kindle.

I haven't paid for a book in about a decade now. 

22 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Sanderson's storm light archives are my favorite of his. It takes place in the same cosmere.

Although rhythm of war wasn't as good as the other three.

On 8/10/2021 at 3:05 PM, Cloaca du jour said:

I read the omnibus ...its a cool series.  Suprising

Should I stick with it?

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Chuck Pahliniuk is excellent

I tried to read him once... made it one chapter, and it horrified my to my very core. Never tried again.

It was a story about a kid who like to put his ass hole against the suction of the poop pump...

58 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I tried to read him once... made it one chapter, and it horrified my to my very core. Never tried again.

It was a story about a kid who like to put his ass hole against the suction of the poop pump...

You are referring to the short story Guts. Chuck used to read that story in public settings quite often. Basically every time he read it someone would pass out and collapse from the horror of the story. They would have a paramedic on stand by at his readings to take care of the people who pass out. Crazy as hell

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You are referring to the short story Guts. Chuck used to read that story in public settings quite often. Basically every time he read it someone would pass out and collapse from the horror of the story. They would have a paramedic on stand by at his readings to take care of the people who pass out. Crazy as hell

Worst thing I've ever read. Bar none. Makes me shudder even thinking about it ten years later. 

10 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Worst thing I've ever read. Bar none. Makes me shudder even thinking about it ten years later. 

It was grotesque for sure. He has a vivid imagination. That was just one short story. His full length books are mostly good. Fight club for example. Damned was an interesting take on hell.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Use libgen and zlibrary.

You'll need a program called calibre to convert the books and move the books to your kindle.

I haven't paid for a book in about a decade now. 

This. 

Just finished Stephen King’s Billy Summers. Liked it. Kinda confusing to start as main character has multiple identities and addresses and a little tough to keep up but in the end great story- great book. 

I need a fantasy or sci-fi book that isn't a series. I am reading the Expanse series and the next one comes out in November. Just need something to hold me over until then. Any recommendations?

Im reading this ancient Latin text about a big red dog. 

It translated Loosely to The Big Red Dog. But the plot is pretty nuanced.

10 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I need a fantasy or sci-fi book that isn't a series. I am reading the Expanse series and the next one comes out in November. Just need something to hold me over until then. Any recommendations?

The hitchhikers guide to Your Anus. 

40 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Im reading this ancient Latin text about a big red dog. 

It translated Loosely to The Big Red Dog. But the plot is pretty nuanced.

Are you familiar with his red rocket ?

On 8/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, Cdub100 said:

I finished Wool it was okay.

Sharp Ends, by Joe Abercrombie - Pretty good I really enjoy the the first law world.

Two necromancers, a Bureaucrat and an army of Golems, by Estrella - It's a very young YA book not good.

True Grit by Portis - better than the movie

Station Eleven, by Mandel - Sucked

Currently reading Fear the Sky it's better than average so far.

Been a few months..need to see what peeps are reading

Cj corella ...twilight templar...

5 books in...I like it so far...free on kindle unlimited.

Litrpg style...

Im totally hooked to this genre...

Endless Online...another really good series...free on kindle unlimited.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, wiffleball said:

The hitchhikers guide to Your Anus. 

Check out Ringo..he has several excellent books

A Short Stay in Hell By: Steven L. Peck

-Really loved this book. Wish it was longer

Fallout: Expeditionary Force, Book 13 By: Craig Alanson

- I've been listening to this series since it came out. Only two books left.

The Dark By: Jeremy Robinson

- It was okay. I didn't enjoy the casual white racism. But an interesting take on Angels and Demons

Fear the Future: Books1- 3 By: Stephen Moss

- Really fun series.

Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law By: Joe Abercrombie

- I loved the first law books. This was a nice collection from that world but not worth the time.

Half a King: Shattered Sea, Book 1 By: Joe Abercrombie

- Fun adventure series seemed to rush certain aspects of the plot that could have been fleshed out a little more

Station Eleven (Television Tie-in): A Novel By: Emily St. John Mandel

- Terrible and boring. Couldn't wait to finish it.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Fallout: Expeditionary Force, Book 13 By: Craig Alanson

- I've been listening to this series since it came out. Only two books left.

The Dark By: Jeremy Robinson

- It was okay. I didn't enjoy the casual white racism. But an interesting take on Angels and Demons

Fear the Future: Books1- 3 By: Stephen Moss

- Really fun series.

Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law By: Joe Abercrombie

- I loved the first law books. This was a nice collection from that world but not worth the time.

Half a King: Shattered Sea, Book 1 By: Joe Abercrombie

- Fun adventure series seemed to rush certain aspects of the plot that could have been fleshed out a little more

Station Eleven (Television Tie-in): A Novel By: Emily St. John Mandel

- Terrible and boring. Couldn't wait to finish it.

Im at like book 5 of expeditionary force...the tin can got a bit annoying with his constant monkey berating...I liked the story so far.

Just now, Cloaca du jour said:

Im at like book 5 of expeditionary force...the tin can got a bit annoying with his constant monkey berating...I liked the story so far.

It gets a bit repetitive, but anyone who was in the military (or civilian like I am) and likes sciFi would like this series.

I was going to stop at book 10 because I was happy with that conclusion, but Alanson he was only making 15 in the series.

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Is this based on the short story “The Library of Babel” by Jorge Luis Borges? I’ve seen it mentioned before and the plot seems very similar.

9 hours ago, MDC said:

Is this based on the short story “The Library of Babel” by Jorge Luis Borges? I’ve seen it mentioned before and the plot seems very similar.

Yes, the author mentions that story a few times.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes, the author mentions that story a few times.

Thanks. Glad it’s not a ripoff. :thumbsup: 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:39 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

If anyone wants to read "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk, here it is...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3vyNXp6qDWwMXBvZ2hXQzdkaGM/edit?resourcekey=0-kKH5OmgyPUVmANR58wPGMQ

The PDF is five pages and two lines on the sixth and final page...  Read it last night, was really tame IMO...

Just finished up Mel Brooks - "All About Me"

Pretty good read about all of his events for each movie that he wrote and directed...  There was a lot of name dropping (which was expected), but I enjoyed the book...

The last chapter however was probably mostly true, but it had one major lie in it, but of course Brooks will deny it...

Oh well, either way, I enjoyed most of it...

On 10/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, Brad GLuckman said:

Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard

Just finished Andy Weir's "Project Hail Mary"...  Another great story by Weir IMO...

What cradle was the last 1??  10?  I have kindle unlimited and have been blasting through litrpgs and stuff.  

4 minutes ago, posty said:

Just finished Andy Weir's "Project Hail Mary"...  Another great story by Weir IMO...

After catching The Martian on tv so many times, I decided to read the book, loved it and then last month, I tore through Project Hail Mary. There was a part in the middlish that got me really worked up, I was legitimately bummed out.  Both books are just page turners too, the science(sometimes beyond me) is pretty accurate too.  Really enjoy him as a writer and agree with Posty 100%, as a recommend. 

After that I read "The Fold" by Peter Clines. Went to a recommend a book website and put in the The Martian and Project Hail Mary and that's what I got. Not bad, Part techno-mystery, part thriller. Beginning drags and it has a few extra characters that provide nothing but extra names to remember, but around the halfway point it really picks up.

Now I"m reading Storm Front, Book 1 of the Dresden Files.  

The books are written as a first-person narrative from the perspective of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago. Butcher's original proposed title for the first novel was Semiautomagic, which sums up the series' balance of fantasy and hard-boiled detective fiction.

It's the first book in a series, a little exposition heavy so far, but Kindle says I'm only 30% in and I'm really starting to like it.

After this I'm thinking of checking out some Jack Reacher.[