Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

* Updated: NFL Mock Draft - 2019 - Version 4.0

Good read, although fairly Chalk compared with other mocks I've seen. The only notes I would add is there is zero chance Kyler Murray goes outside the top ten, and the Browns aren't interested in the Ohio State DT, according to local reports. 

As a Cincy local I would be happy to have White there for the Bengals at #11 but I could see them going with Hockenson as well.

At pick 4:   "As mentioned above, the Raiders are in dire need of someone to get pressure on the quarterback"

At pick 24: The Raiders addressed their lack of a pass rush with their first pick, and now they’ll address their need for a wide receiver.                 

Because they traded away what could be a future HOF defensive player in Khalil Mack (4 pro bowls and 3 first team all pro selections in 5 years) and a 1000 yard receiver in Amari Cooper.

Oakland management: "We have a great player what should we do? Trade him and let's draft another player and hope to God he is as good even though history tells us that probably won't happen. Brilliant!"

43 minutes ago, sderk said:

Because they traded away what could be a future HOF defensive player in Khalil Mack (4 pro bowls and 3 first team all pro selections in 5 years) and a 1000 yard receiver in Amari Cooper.

Oakland management: "We have a great player what should we do? Trade him and let's draft another player and hope to God he is as good even though history tells us that probably won't happen. Brilliant!"

Im a Mack fan as Ive followed him through college and seen him play several times.

But they are starting over.  It isnt just they let an elite guy go just yo draft another of his position.  They dont have to pay QB money for a rusher.  They arent close to winning.  So they decided to move him and gets picks to start over.  Wasnt a bad move for the Bears.  But at the same time it wasnt for thr Raiders either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im a Mack fan as Ive followed him through college and seen him play several times.

But they are starting over.  It isnt just they let an elite guy go just yo draft another of his position.  They dont have to pay QB money for a rusher.  They arent close to winning.  So they decided to move him and gets picks to start over.  Wasnt a bad move for the Bears.  But at the same time it wasnt for thr Raiders either.

You probably follow closer than me on the Raiders but aren't the Raiders only a couple years out from a 12 win season? 2016 I think. What happened to them? And they are still going to have to pony up some money for free agent talent. Mack will be great for years to come and makes every other player on the defense better instantly, even if he is not putting up the stats himself. And Cooper had a case of the dropsies but really got better last year in the % of catches. Right up with the best receivers.

I guess it just confuses me what they are trying to achieve. And I like Gruden and want him to win. I wonder if they throw a wrench in the draft and pick a QB at #4. Wouldn't surprise me.

Based on ff avg points per game, Mack had his best season last season with the Bears. 

Great players do make other players better, but better players also can make a great player even greater.  

I think that was the case last season. 

Cooper was the same as he has been since he’s been in the nfl , a god game now and then.  

Raiders I think are doing the right thing , rebuild quickly either through the market or the draft. 

Actually Cooper's catch % went up 20% from 2017 last year. He's getting better.

I don't know why every mock has Haskins lasting until the Giants at 6.   I think a team like the Dolphins or Redskins will trade up to get him in the top 5 especially since the Jets have already announced they're making their pick available.

55 minutes ago, Larry David said:

I don't know why every mock has Haskins lasting until the Giants at 6.   I think a team like the Dolphins or Redskins will trade up to get him in the top 5 especially since the Jets have already announced they're making their pick available.

The Jets traded 3 second round picks just to move from 6 to 3 last year. They will want more than that to go from 3 to 13 or 15. Maybe the Skins and Fins don't want to pay a higher price for a guy rated lower than Darnold was. There was even one report that the Dolphins are more interested in next year's QB crop. Haskins also bombed his 40 at the combine, which may temporarily depress his value. Regardless, Mock Drafts are more representative a week or so before the draft.

1 hour ago, Larry David said:

Obviously, there will be some wheeling and dealing but Justin's mock draft pieces don't include trades. It makes things simpler from a writing standpoint.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Obviously, there will be some wheeling and dealing but Justin's mock draft pieces don't include trades. It makes things simpler from a writing standpoint.

Understood.  My comment wasn't a reaction to Justin''s mock specifically just towards the consensus over all.  I realize this year's crop of QB is much weaker than last year's but I still find it hard to believe the best QB (debatable) will get out of the top 5, but you never know.   Maybe the Giants trade for Josh Rosen now that he's going to be available according to someone named Tony Pauline.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Wonder what the Cards get for Rosen

Supposedly they want a 1st. Peter King says two talent evaluators would give a 3rd.  that kind of return likely won't go over well, but I agree that if Murray truly IS Kliffs guy you should go get him.

Or more likely the cards have multiple holes to fill and are trying to drive interest in order to trade down for a nice bounty of picks.

11 minutes ago, ralphster said:

Supposedly they want a 1st. Peter King says two talent evaluators would give a 3rd.  that kind of return likely won't go over well, but I agree that if Murray truly IS Kliffs guy you should go get him.

Or more likely the cards have multiple holes to fill and are trying to drive interest in order to trade down for a nice bounty of picks.

I was thinking a 2nd would be fair.  Early to mid 2nd nyg wash or mia seem fair.  They have no leverage though.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:42 AM, sderk said:

This was a discussion most Raider fans were having months ago. Now we've moved on. This draft is deep at both positions. 

13. Miami Dolphins - Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma 

This is the sexy pick across the industry, and it makes quite a bit of sense. Ryan Tannehill is on his way out and Miami will need to find a replacement. There have been talks that the Dolphins are interested in tanking to find their quarterback of the future in the next draft or two, but that’s a bold proposition for any head coach. Murray started 14 games for Oklahoma this season, throwing for 4,361 yards, 42 touchdowns, and only seven interceptions. He also ran for 1,001 yards and 12 touchdowns on 140 rush attempts. He has game-changer potential, and the NFL is seemingly moving towards dual-threat quarterbacks. Murray could have potentially been the first quarterback taken if he had committed strictly to playing in the NFL sooner or with more conviction, but Miami is a losing franchise that will take a chance on a boom or bust prospect.

I would like to note that I don’t truly believe Murray goes in this exact slot, as Miami will have to trade up, but I’m not projecting trades in this draft.

Huh? He's going #1 to the Cards.

57 minutes ago, Quickolas1 said:

Huh? He's going #1 to the Cards.

Yeah I cant take this guys mocks seriously.  I get that he thinks the Dolphins may move up.  But 1. AZ would have to skip out on Murray.  2. Dolphins woulfd have to beat out the Raiders to get him.

Not happening.

I also like how I said Hockenson goes way higher and he changes his from 30th to 7th overall.  And it isnt even like he blew up the combine.  Not sure what he scouted on Hock just a month ago.

Highly doubt the Packers take a WR.  They drafted 3 big WRs last year.  Why would they draft a big slow WR in the 1st?  TE Safety OT MLB DL all bigger needs. 

Lol what a draft that would be for the Packers.  Take a raw edge guy at 12 after paying 2 OLbs in FA.  So you have a rotational edge with the 12th pick.  Then 30th a slower big WR.  When they just drafted 3 last year with size.  So a WR at 30 who may see time as a 3rd WR this year probably 4th. 

What is the worst possible Packers draft Alex.

Also Im not arguing Sweat wont be shot up the board because of if his combine and go earlier.

But for me

Brian Burns > Montez Sweat

All day long.  

On 3/4/2019 at 8:21 AM, ralphster said:

this.

IF these guys dont want a QB, the smart move is to pretend you are interested but not sold in a couple of the top QB's and see who will pay to move up.

the right move is to draft the best player on the board or trade down and get a number of picks for doing so.

As this team has a number of holes on Offense, the trade down option is potentially the best option for this team.

I also firmly believe that a rookie QB behind a poor O line is a good way to ruin your top prospect.   You spend a high draft pick on a QB you need to at least protect your investment and get some O line help.

That being said, if you are drafting outside the top half of the first round, it isnt a given that anyone acquired in the draft will make an immediate impact.

it is possible Rosen gets traded for O line help or a draft pick (or a WR which is also an area of need because I dont think Fitz is a #1 WR anymore.  He's likely a #2 and if his age catches up with him, he may even be a #3)

Either way, the offense needs more talent in many places.

The Vikings at #18 won't be getting Greg Little. It will be Dillard, Risner, or Bradbury.  Little's dismal showing at the combine drops him out of the 1st round. 

On 3/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, Ray_T said:

Either way, the offense needs more talent in many places.

Why are you so agaonst Murray to AZ lol? It is weird.  Like a flat earther.

Most teams who pick at 1 have a ton of holes.  Hence why they picked at 1.  AZ isnt trying to win a SB right this second.  If they like Murray.  Which at the very least the new coach does.  You take Murray.  

The Browns won like a game in 2 years.  Liked Baker.  Drafted Baker.  Now look at them.  Maybe they shoulf have traded down "to fill holes". 

8 minutes ago, joneo said:

The Vikings at #18 won't be getting Greg Little. It will be Dillard, Risner, or Bradbury.  Little's dismal showing at the combine drops him out of the 1st round. 

Cody Ford has a chance to be there.  Not a LT exactly but G/RT.  

11 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

The Browns won like a game in 2 years.  Liked Baker.  Drafted Baker.  Now look at them.  Maybe they shoulf have traded down "to fill holes". 

That's exactly what the Browns did - they moved back and picked up extra early round picks for several years before drafting Baker.

They had 2 firsts and 2 seconds last year and 3 firsts and a second the year before. Literally exactly what Ray is saying, but you're going to call him a flat earther?

Your user name should be 'dontlisten2me'.

5 hours ago, ralphster said:

That's exactly what the Browns did - they moved back and picked up extra early round picks for several years before drafting Baker.

They had 2 firsts and 2 seconds last year and 3 firsts and a second the year before. Literally exactly what Ray is saying, but you're going to call him a flat earther?

Your user name should be 'dontlisten2me'.

They have the 1st pick and if they like the QB who is there they should  move down?  

Why?  Rosen does not fit what Kliff is trying to do.  Why would you try to fit a square peg into a round hole?  The browns traded down because they didnt love the QBs that were there.  They loved Baker.  They took Baker.  AZ ahould accumulate picks and fire another coach in 2 years?

New coach.  New system.  USUALLY means new QB.  The Browns had Hugh focking Jackson dragged around tanking for 2 years.  AZ already has their coach.  

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Why are you so agaonst Murray to AZ lol? It is weird.  Like a flat earther.

Most teams who pick at 1 have a ton of holes.  Hence why they picked at 1.  AZ isnt trying to win a SB right this second.  If they like Murray.  Which at the very least the new coach does.  You take Murray.  

well, when the browns drafted Baker, they also had a decent line.  they also traded down in past years to acquire extra picks to fill the holes in (which I am arguing this team needs to do)

Trading down wasnt the sexy move, but it got the Browns where they need to be today.

Arizona has a terrible line.  I acknowledge the signings have made the line better, but they are still subpar and still need help there.

Also, There are lots of cases where QB prospects were ruined by playing them behind subpar lines.

The best case of this I'll point out: David Carr.  many believe he was ruined by playing him behind a terrible line.

I would also argue, if you are spending a high draft pick and lots of cash on a top QB, maybe you should protect your investment and put them in a position where they can succeed.

Just sayin...

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, when the browns drafted Baker, they also had a decent line.  they also traded down in past years to acquire extra picks to fill the holes in (which I am arguing this team needs to do)

Trading down wasnt the sexy move, but it got the Browns where they need to be today.

Arizona has a terrible line.  I acknowledge the signings have made the line better, but they are still subpar and still need help there.

Also, There are lots of cases where QB prospects were ruined by playing them behind subpar lines.

The best case of this I'll point out: David Carr.  many believe he was ruined by playing him behind a terrible line.

I would also argue, if you are spending a high draft pick and lots of cash on a top QB, maybe you should protect your investment and put them in a position where they can succeed.

Just sayin...

So you suggest with their new coach and ayatem they stick with a snotty nosed QB who doesnt even fit what they want to do.  In order to get picks to maybe hit on them and then in 2 years try to be in position to draft another one?  

They shouldnt have spazed out and traded up last year is the problem.  They didnt have a good roster then.  The spazzed and traded up for the 4th QB off the board.  Then fire the OC then the coach after a single year.

They certainly arent making right choices.  But if you are sitting at 1 and have a QB who fits and you love sitting there.  You take him.  They spent on some line.  They have a new coach and system.  These things cam improve protections.  Murray isnt a sitting duck like Bradford or Rosen.  

17 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Cody Ford has a chance to be there.  Not a LT exactly but G/RT.  

True, forgot to list him.  It just adds to the point of how far off this guy's predictions are. 

The Seahawks don’t take CBs with sub 32inch arms. Byron Murphy won’t be drafted by them. Plus they will trade down to acquire more picks.  

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

They shouldnt have spazed out and traded up last year is the problem.  They didnt have a good roster then.  The spazzed and traded up for the 4th QB off the board.  Then fire the OC then the coach after a single year

This is a good point.  A year ago Keim hired last a new coach & OC and drafted Rosen.  He also got a 4 year extension.

Now he's fired the coach & OC he brought in and replaced them w an out of the blue hire from the college ranks.  His new guy is also very publicly in love w Murray.

So Steve is in a rough place.  Either he trades the guy he moved up to get last year for pennies on the dollar to get his new coach's man crush or he stays the course w Rosen and builds the trenches - which is really what his team needs.

Drafting Murray first overall, losing the chance to get Bosa on a rookie deal and getting a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen just seems like madness to me. A great coach should be able to mold their system around the available talent, not demand a new roster.

Reminds me of Mike Martz and Greg Olsen years ago.

8 hours ago, ralphster said:

This is a good point.  A year ago Keim hired last a new coach & OC and drafted Rosen.  He also got a 4 year extension.

Now he's fired the coach & OC he brought in and replaced them w an out of the blue hire from the college ranks.  His new guy is also very publicly in love w Murray.

So Steve is in a rough place.  Either he trades the guy he moved up to get last year for pennies on the dollar to get his new coach's man crush or he stays the course w Rosen and builds the trenches - which is really what his team needs.

Drafting Murray first overall, losing the chance to get Bosa on a rookie deal and getting a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen just seems like madness to me. A great coach should be able to mold their system around the available talent, not demand a new roster.

Reminds me of Mike Martz and Greg Olsen years ago.

Rosen could run it.  Im sure Kliff knows Murray could run it much better.  

It is a cluster F for sure.  But sometimes you take the loss and move on. 

It is said that Rosen is a dipshit.  Not new news.  He had character questions coming out.  Maybe they seen enough to say thats enough.  We will take this better prospect now while we have rhe chance.

Moving down and drafting linemen doesnt automatically mean you get good players.  Im for moving down each year.  Unless there is a QB you want.  I am move down type guy if you have a QB.

I hate to go over board here but Murray is a once in a decade type talent.  Or at least an elite prospect if you can get over his size.  Which seems like most people have.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, listen2me 23 said:

So you suggest with their new coach and ayatem they stick with a snotty nosed QB who doesnt even fit what they want to do.  In order to get picks to maybe hit on them and then in 2 years try to be in position to draft another one?  

They shouldnt have spazed out and traded up last year is the problem.  They didnt have a good roster then.  The spazzed and traded up for the 4th QB off the board.  Then fire the OC then the coach after a single year.

They certainly arent making right choices.  But if you are sitting at 1 and have a QB who fits and you love sitting there.  You take him.  They spent on some line.  They have a new coach and system.  These things cam improve protections.  Murray isnt a sitting duck like Bradford or Rosen.  

honestly, if you go back to the original scouting report, Rosen was excellent in almost every way on the field.   its his leadership and ability to get along with his teammates that was questioned.

that being said.... I would not have suggested that they should have traded up to get this guy either.   I agree.  they shouldnt have spazzed out and traded up last year.

if they had signed or traded for a QB that could run the show for a year or two.... even if that someone was a Joe Flacco(or someone of the like).

Joe Flacco is at least decent in the dressing room and is a good mentor to the young players they need to bring in.   then they could have drafted some players to fill some of those holes and they might have been in a position where they could draft this kid this year.

so now a year later, they are in the same position they were in a year ago.   do you now go and draft another QB?

Honestly the kid they drafted last year didnt truly get a fair shake.  they put him into a bad situation to begin with.    Maybe they improve the supporting cast and see if he can turn it around.  If the reports are true, the most they will get for him on the open market is a 3rd.  Maybe a 2nd if they are lucky.    They are losing a ton on the investment already.

The bottom line is this:

it truly looks like this is gonna be a 2-3 year rebuild no matter how you slice it.    Their best WR looks like it might be Larry Fitzgerald.

While I have the utmost respect for Fitz,  hes now 35 years old.  He will be 36 before the regular season begins..  You dont want a 36 year old player to be your #1 WR. 

they also have the aforementioned issues with the line.   sure they made some moves and one guy who was injured will return, but this line will likely be subpar at best.

so with a subpar line and subpar WR I am not sure many QB's can come into this situation and be successful.      

so why would we spend a #1 overall pick and throw him to the wolves like this?

The only real advantage of Kyler Murray is that he CAN scramble.   This can negate some of the line issues.   But that brings us to another question...

do you want your #1 overall QB scrambling on every play?   does this help him to develop the part of his game that he needs to develop?

Hypothetically, if they trade down, fill a couple holes on the roster.  (hypothetically WR and OT/OG) and if Rosen stinks the joint out again, they will have a high draft pick in a draft that is far deeper in terms of QB value, and they can put THAT QB into a better situation.

with respect to this comment:

you suggest with their new coach and ayatem they stick with a snotty nosed QB who doesnt even fit what they want to do.  

Do we know what the team wants to do yet?  

probably not.  

Either way,  If they dont have any plans to fix the line, and they want to select a QB this year,  Kyler Murray is the guy (due to his scrambling ability) but I'm not convinced this is the right move for the team as a whole.

• Like 1

I don't get it.  Mock 1.0 doesn't even have LB Devin Bush in the 1st rd but in the Mock 2.0 since LB Devin White slides from the #11 up to the #5 spot it shoots Devin Bush all the way up to #11 in the 1st Rd....????

On 3/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, Mike FF Today said:

Added Version 2.0 today.

Solid mock, across the board. I know you don't have trades built into it, but if the Top 3 are gone the Raiders may attempt to trade back to mid first round while picking up another additional picks. Probably a 2nd, 3rd and 4th or high pick next year. 

They need Edge players, but that guy is Clelin Ferrell. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, R8RMick said:

Solid mock, across the board.

uh....no, not a solid mock at all.