Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

Geek cooking challenge

Here is the ling story.... I run a college course where we camp for 3 weeks. I have to cook meals for 20-30 students. I have 4 propane burners to do so.. I do have access to coolers so some fresh meats and veggies along with dairy is ok

So.. need to cheaply cook for 20-30 people easy meals that will please a wide variety of people.

I'm looking for new suggestions. Currently we make :

chicken stew over garlic mashed potatoes

chilli with avocado and sour cream

stir fry over rice

an Alfredo style pasta

mac and cheese

pasta marinara 

burritos

pulled bbq chicken sandwich

build a sub

hit me with some suggestions

Pene pasta, cut up grilled chicken breast, cut up crispy bacon. Make pepper jack cheese sauace. Mix it up. I call it the “Chicken Bacon Thing”. 

Kinda have enough pasta. If I went down that road it would be endless to just make random pasta

tomato soup w/ grilled cheese

chicken and pork are going to be your most cost effective proteins.  grilled or pan seared.

brats, hot dogs, burgers

eggs, pancakes, cereal, oatmeal for breakfast

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Problem with grilled cheese is cooking 45 or 50 to order

4 burners..... 1 for soup.  3 for sammiches.  just sand bag and keep them going.

We do a cook out with burgers and dogs the final night because it is easy and we can use campsite grills after we pack up our burners

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

4 burners..... 1 for soup.  3 for sammiches.  just sand bag and keep them going.

We have done grilled cheese also quasadilla for lunch before it is when half the group is gone and we can stagger them... It simply isn't that doable for more than 10 people

Corned beef hash and scrambled eggs cooked together

With the campfires I'd suggest Hobo Dinners,put hamburger,potatoes,onions and whatever other veggies you like  into foil and season.Wrap it up and put it in the coals to cook.

I'm not a great cook but my wife is; she has taken to "sous vide" (translation, under vacuum) for most of our animal protein.  If you do that you can just sear/warm it at the camp site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

She also does a veggie prep on weekends which helps to feed our vegan daughter and provides the rest of us veggies during the week since she now works from an office.  Basically bake veggies like broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc. with olive oil/salt/pepper and jam them in a tupperware container.  Similar reheating, or not.

:cheers:

Smoke porkbutts ahead of time.  Shred,  vacuum seal and freeze.  Use to keep other food cold for a few days.  When thawed,  heat and serve.

3 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Smoke porkbutts ahead of time.  Shred,  vacuum seal and freeze.  Use to keep other food cold for a few days.  When thawed,  heat and serve.

A good idea.  He could do his taco meat this way as well.  Another idea would be Sloppy Joes.

Hamburger helper

11 minutes ago, fandandy said:

A good idea.  He could do his taco meat this way as well.  Another idea would be Sloppy Joes.

The pulled bbq chicken is pretty much sloppy joe... Can used canned chicken

Catch fish

Gut fish

Cook fish

Eat fish

Seriously though you have 9 options for a 3 week "camping" class.  How many more options do you need on this luxurious camping trip?

Heat oven to 375

wrap geek in foil

cook for 45 minutes

cut into bite-size pieces

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Catch fish

Gut fish

Cook fish

Eat fish

Seriously though you have 9 options for a 3 week "camping" class.  How many more options do you need on this luxurious camping trip?

Lots

Where were these courses when I was in college?

Sounds awesome. Do you car camp in the same location or backpack/raft to different locations each day?

When I was backpacking in the Grand Canyon we were boiling water for our freeze dried bullshit while the guided trips had 4 course meals every night, we were very jealous.

14 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

When I was backpacking in the Grand Canyon we were boiling water for our freeze dried bullshit while the guided trips had 4 course meals every night, we were very jealous.

I remember being jealous of the donkey riders when I hiked it as a kid. Got to camp and saw the same stuff. I made out with one of the rich girls that rode that donkey after I ate the crap freeze dried dinner my folks had for us. Good times lol

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

It does just fine on it’s own. 

Hamburger helper Stroganoff got me through lot's of poor lol.  

• Like 1

Voodoo beat me to it. But Dutch oven cooking is great. It really opens up your options.

One suggestion? Loaded baked potatoes. Obviously, you know how to bake potato with aluminum foil and coals. The great thing about these? Based upon the menu you already have, you can basically cleanup whatever leftover ingredients you have and let people go crazy with their toppings. Anything from Chile to leftover chicken stuff to leftover sour cream, you really have all kinds of options.

But strong strong recommendations on Dutch oven cooking. Make some fantastic desserts, also chicken and dumplings is incredible. Pot roast and potatoes. I mean, it's the original slow cooker.  Google if interested.

9 hours ago, SenatorRock said:

Where were these courses when I was in college?

Sounds awesome. Do you car camp in the same location or backpack/raft to different locations each day?

We car camp but visit 5 national parks over 3 weeks so we move and stay in the normal designated campgrounds 

• Like 1

Roast Peeps over the campfire.

I know they suck ass but when you roast them over a campfire, the sugar on the outside caramelizes like a creme brulee and they taste like cotton candy. 

16 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Here is the ling story.... I run a college course where we camp for 3 weeks. I have to cook meals for 20-30 students. I have 4 propane burners to do so.. I do have access to coolers so some fresh meats and veggies along with dairy is ok

So.. need to cheaply cook for 20-30 people easy meals that will please a wide variety of people.

I'm looking for new suggestions. Currently we make :

chicken stew over garlic mashed potatoes

chilli with avocado and sour cream

stir fry over rice

an Alfredo style pasta

mac and cheese

pasta marinara 

burritos

pulled bbq chicken sandwich

build a sub

hit me with some suggestions

https://youtu.be/QrCB6y9mYqc

https://youtu.be/adnaPmVSkqE

https://youtu.be/yyubL84R5Mo

https://youtu.be/stLjL3mX7kg

Watch and enjoy.  You won't be disappointed.

Bring Cast Iron Skillets and make whatever you want, chops, steaks, fajitas, blacken chicken, pork steaks, tators, wings, whatever

14 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Hamburger helper

Cheeseburger macaroni :wub:

Like Megla said - pork steaks are your friend... Cheap as hell, easy to cook - damn tasty.

1. Grilled pork steaks, Ranch Style beans, grilled corn on the cob.

2. Mexican casserole (ground beef, crm-of-chicken, crm-of-mushroom, rotel, ranch style beans, lil green chilies, kernel corn, cheese)

3. Breakfast for dinner: Chorizo & eggs, country style potatoes, refried beans (in a can if need be).

4. Fritos pies (Fritos, wolf brand chili, mustard, onions,  s. cream, etc..)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Like Megla said - pork steaks are you friend... Cheap as hell, easy to cook - damn tasty.

2. Mexican casserole (ground beef, crm-of-chicken, crm-of-mushroom, rotel, ranch style beans, lil green chilies, kernel corn, cheese)

I prefer to use real Mexicans instead of ground beef.  To each their own I guess. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Like Megla said - pork steaks are you friend... Cheap as hell, easy to cook - damn tasty.

1. Grilled pork steaks, Ranch Style beans, grilled corn on the cob.

3. Breakfast for dinner: Chorizo & eggs, country style potatoes, refried beans (in a can if need be).

4. Fritos pies (Fritos, wolf brand chili, mustard, onions,  s. cream, etc..)

Settle down beaner

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Settle down beaner

Hey, my people know how to feed many on the cheap. :D

• Like 1