Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

The Free Agency Thread

Time for a thread as this is upon us.  

Giants homers,

Landon Collins.  What is your take on him? Packers are said to be the 2nd favorite to land him behind the Colts.

Not sure that I like that.  Read he is some what of a liability in coverage and I do remember Kittle eating him alove last year.  Hard to spend elite money on a box safety then watch him get thrown at.

I know he is a good player overall.  But his brand of football seems less valuable than a do it all safety or a coverage safety that can line up vs a slot or TE and you can feel comfortable.

Safety class is deep this year. Collins. Earl. Honey badger. Joyner. Weddle was just released..

49 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Safety class is deep this year. Collins. Earl. Honey badger. Joyner. Weddle was just released..

Chiefs should be in the market for one of these guys.

20 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Chiefs should be in the market for one of these guys.

They should but what is their cap situation?  I havent looked but they are said to be letting Houston walk.  All those guys besides weddle will command a big number.  They are trying to talk a long term deal with Hill.  Then of course they will have Mahomes to deal with.  

Not sure on the validity of it. But at line backer, I keep hearing Seattle letting KJ Wright leave. And signing Houston if the Chiefs do indeed release him.

Also keep hearing about them resigning Mychal Kendricks. Guess they feel he won't get much jail time.

I don't see them being very active in free agency though. Other than resigning a few of their own guys. I don't think they'll max out their cap this year. Whatever they don't spend this year, they can roll over for next year. And Wilson and Wagner are both up next year. Plus they always like getting those comp picks to.

13 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Time for a thread as this is upon us.  

Giants homers,

Landon Collins.  What is your take on him? Packers are said to be the 2nd favorite to land him behind the Colts.

Not sure that I like that.  Read he is some what of a liability in coverage and I do remember Kittle eating him alove last year.  Hard to spend elite money on a box safety then watch him get thrown at.

I know he is a good player overall.  But his brand of football seems less valuable than a do it all safety or a coverage safety that can line up vs a slot or TE and you can feel comfortable.

He has been dreadful in coverage the last couple of years, but he is a stud in the run game and a leader. The problem is the money he wants, do you really want to slot that for a safety who has limitations? The only way I would do that is if you believe that is the missing piece to compete for the Ship, and it won't destroy your cap...

Teams have called the #Jaguars to inquire about starting S Tashaun Gipson, sources say, and the belief is he’s available. Due more than $8M and Jax is in a cap crunch, but Gipson has played at a high level and is only 28.

The Cardinals need to sign 2 or 3 top linemen and I think they should make a strong push for Tyrell Williams. He fits their need for a big outside receiver that has some speed. 

This may all be nothing but here on Cleveland Sports talk Radio they are acting like a big deal is brewing for the Browns. Names like Kevin Zeitler and Emanuel Ogbah are being thrown around. The Target isn't specifically known, but the speculation is a big name like OBJ or Dee Ford. Just thought I'd pass this along, and if anyone knows anything please share. If this turns out to be just smoke, my apologies...

The Colts have ginormous amount of cap room but seem to be laying low on the higher priced free agents. I would think adding a second wide receiver would be a priority but if you're not after Antonio Brown, then class is thin. Tyrell Williams, Golden Tate... I'm not sure these guys are big enough difference makers and will end up being high-priced complementary pieces. If Tate does end up in Indy, he would have a nice PPR outlook in the Colts offense.

I think Tate would be a great complement to Hilton. 

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Tate would be a great complement to Hilton. 

I think Tate would be nice, and Williams would be a hell of a number 2

I would love to see seattle sign Weddle.  The rest of the DB's are still so green that a veteran signal caller that can keep things in front of him and direct the troops would be fantastic.

I think with Hilton on the other side Tate would be a better fit on the Colts.  

They don’t need two deep wr. 

They could use a postion wr like Tate. 

For ff sake I hope Tate signs with the Colts. 

Giants acquired RG Kevin Zeitler and a 2019 fifth-round pick from the Browns in exchange for DE Olivier Vernon and a 2019 fourth-round pick.

Per NFL Network.

Makes sense for both teams. Giants need a RG and Zeitler is top 3, and the Browns need an upgrade at LB/Edge. I wonder if this was all the smoke and not really about OBJ after all...

Rumblings of Packers and 9ers being interested in trading for Dee Ford.

Packers have KCs old OLB coach.

I saw that both the Eagles and the Jets like T Coleman. 

I would like to see him join Darnold with the Jets. 

Hyde to KC. He's been kind of average his whole career, but everyone seems to do good in the KC system.  I like to see how this plays out this preseason.  Even if he's the #2 in KC he might be a good late pick.

Hearing rumors Greg Olsen is headed to ESPN. It was previously reported he wanted to play another year. Maybe he'll replace Witten in the MNF booth?

Update: Many reports saying Olsen is staying with Panthers. Plans to play in 2019.

From a fantasy perspective it might be tough sledding trying to run on the Skins this year...

Jaguars agreed to terms with QB Nick Foles, formerly of the Eagles, on a four-year, $88 million contract. Per Ian Rappaport

Hardly a surprise, As a Giants fan I can't help but notice the competition for Dwayne Haskins has shrunken considerably...

DeSean Jackson traded to Philadelphia. He's got one year, $10 million left on his deal.

Update: Eagles get Jackson and a 2020 7th rounder (just sent that one to the Pats for Michael Bennett). Bucs get 2019 6th rounder.

Edited by Mike FF Today
Terms of deal

Now the pressure is on mr Foles.

Poor Keenum the skins just lost Crowder. 

Interesting (pending) moves today...

WR Adam Humphries to the Titans
WR James Crowder to the Jets
RB Mike Davis to the Bears
WR Devin Funchess to the Colts
TE Tyler Kroft to the Bills

Mike Davis. Stand out 3rd down back for SEA. Gets signed by the Bears,  who already have Cohen as a reliable 3rd down back and Howard as a big banger type.

Howard being moved has been rumored, but why Mike Davis?

This move, and signing an injury prone on the way down Skrine to replace an excellent young Callahan - it puzzles me.

6 hours ago, ralphster said:

Mike Davis. Stand out 3rd down back for SEA. Gets signed by the Bears,  who already have Cohen as a reliable 3rd down back and Howard as a big banger type.

Howard being moved has been rumored, but why Mike Davis?

This move, and signing an injury prone on the way down Skrine to replace an excellent young Callahan - it puzzles me.

I dont know much about Skrine, but Brad Biggs on 670 the score just said he was reliable healthy wise.

I love the Davis signing. Cheap solid running backs are important. Especially for when the team will need to sign Cohen, who I would be willing to shell out more cap space for. Howard may definitely be on the move, but those 3 make up a damn solid back field

Look at the deals being dealt out to all of these overrated safeties. What the hell are these GMs thinking? Why sign guys who are liabilities in coverage to such big deals, at a position that is flooded with talent? Many of us here could do a better job than these current GMs if that's all we focused on during the day

Love what the Packers did this AM.  Amos and Zardarious were 2 of their main targets all along.  Their 2 biggest needs.  Frees them up a lot with their 2 1st round picks.

Preston Smith as well now to go with Zadarius Smith.  Packers doing some work this morning.

RT/G Billy Turner to the Packers.

These moves could free them up to really go after a TE or even a WR in the draft.  Or this move here could mean Bryan Bulaga potentially gets cut and they go G/T early in the draft.

Latavius Murray headed to New Orleans on a 4-year deal. Nice boost for his fantasy value, but it probably means more catches for Kamara, it that's even possible, and a boost for Dalvin Cook depending on who they sign as their No.2.

D Cook would get a boost if he can stay on the field. 

J Brown is a good fit. 

Detroit signing every player who has ever been a Patriot. I hear they wanted Hernandez but he left them hanging. 

• Haha 1

Browns sign Perriman to a one year 4 million contract. A little surprised he couldn't get more than that but good news for the Brownies and a trendy early sleeper for wr in ff drafts.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/714/breshad-perriman

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Breshad Perriman wants out of his one-year, $4 million contract with the Browns. The Browns traded for Odell Beckham on Tuesday night, locking OBJ, Antonio Callaway, Jarvis Landry, and Rashard Higgins into the team's top-four receiver spots. Perriman sees the writing on the wall that he's not going to get much playing time. We'd guess the Browns will be fine letting Perriman out of the agreement.

Now he wants out of the deal. I would like to see Beckham and Perriman on the edges, but that doesn't seem like it will happen