Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Game of Thrones ***Official Season 8*** April 14, 2019

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

I wish they would have fought in the daytime. I had a hard time seeing wtf was going on. 

what do you want, remember...

Also, I think Sansa's concern that there wasn't enough food to feed all those people and two dragons sort of worked itself all out.

Couldn't we see her naked one last time?  (before she took the necklace off)

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Couldn't we see her naked one last time?  (before she took the necklace off)

Was thinking the same thing! :banana:

Didn't notice the knights of the vale. Anyone see them? Im thinking about who gets to go fight Cersei now. Theons ugly sister is out there, she should be in for a battle with Euron. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Didn't notice the knights of the vale. Anyone see them? Im thinking about who gets to go fight Cersei now. Theons ugly sister is out there, she should be in for a battle with Euron. 

they were on the front left flank with Brienne and Jaime ... and, in true POPCORN HOLLYWOOD SUPERHERO fashion, the Vale were all but wiped out, but ... our "plucky"  "never say die!!!1!!1" heroes survived!!1!111!1!

26 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

they were on the front left flank with Brienne and Jaime ... and, in true POPCORN HOLLYWOOD SUPERHERO fashion, the Vale were all but wiped out, but ... our "plucky"  "never say die!!!1!!1" heroes survived!!1!111!1!

The part that made me most sad was when the Ser Murtaugh died, he was only 3 days away from retirement and really was too old for this Sh!t.

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The part that made me most sad was when the Ser Murtaugh died, he was only 3 days away from retirement and really was too old for this Sh!t.

What do you think that pension plan is like?

This crowd will dig this.

I read a USA today quick review of the episode..Pretty critical but also pretty spot on with the criticism.

RIGHT until the end of the piece when the woman wrote how it was unfortunate the writers but the forces of color at the front(dothraki and unsullied) to get killed first and the writers should have known better.   Yes, she seriously wrote that.   I hate how people think now.  But the white troops in front, that's OK...but the colored ones? THAT'S RACIST!!!!   

But weren't those 2 the supposed most bad azzed of everyone?  How is it racist then?

• The Winterfell strategy to put the people of color (the Dothraki and the Unsullied) on the front lines, where most of them died, was a poor choice by the writers, especially in a series with a bad track record in this area. 

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I read a USA today quick review of the episode..Pretty critical but also pretty spot on with the criticism.

RIGHT until the end of the piece when the woman wrote how it was unfortunate the writers but the forces of color at the front(dothraki and unsullied) to get killed first and the writers should have known better.   Yes, she seriously wrote that.   I hate how people think now.  But the white troops in front, that's OK...but the colored ones? THAT'S RACIST!!!!   

But weren't those 2 the supposed most bad azzed of everyone?  How is it racist then?

• The Winterfell strategy to put the people of color (the Dothraki and the Unsullied) on the front lines, where most of them died, was a poor choice by the writers, especially in a series with a bad track record in this area. 

The Dothraki seemed a lot less bad ass when it took all of 20 seconds to extinguish their flames.    

So many great shots and set pieces in this episode. The shot where they run in with swords ablaze and the lights all slowly die out was just brilliant. Dragons fighting each other in the sky above the clouds. The army clash, every scene was great.

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Was expecting PETA to show up and say "WHAT ABOUT THE HORSIES"

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Was expecting PETA to show up and say "WHAT ABOUT THE HORSIES"

if they didn't say anything about what the Dothraki do to the horses during their downtime, they sure weren't going to say anything about last night.

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The Dothraki seemed a lot less bad ass when it took all of 20 seconds to extinguish their flames.    

LITTLE LADY LYANNA MORMONT WAS WHITE AS CASPER AND BIT IT!!1!!

oh, and the Unsullied were a mixed race army ... the Dothraki? more Mediterranean (think Greek/Albanian/Portuguese) than "darkies"  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

if they didn't say anything about what the Dothraki do to the horses during their downtime, they sure weren't going to say anything about last night.

I saw what they did to Khaleesi :wub:

2 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

LITTLE LADY LYANNA MORMONT WAS WHITE AS CASPER AND BIT IT!!1!!

oh, and the Unsullied were a mixed race army ... the Dothraki? more Mediterranean (think Greek/Albanian/Portuguese) than "darkies"  :dunno:

People of color...means any race except white.

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

White is more a color than black? no?

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

well then, they can all go munch a bag o' Richards :music_guitarred:

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

I'm curious as to what type of real life kvnt Kelly Lawler is if she is complaining about who is on the front battle line of a fictional television show. I hope all the darkies in the show die now just to piss her off. 

This was great visually. Absutely jaw dropping battle scenes. The dark and mist did make it less enjoyable.

From a story standpoint, it was the weakest episode of this season. But that was kind of to be expected I suppose.

I'm glad the night king storyline is over now. Let's get to the business of killing cersei and settling the iron throne. 

we are going to rewatch later.... turning up the backlight on the tv

7 hours ago, bostonlager said:

I'm curious as to what type of real life kvnt Kelly Lawler is if she is complaining about who is on the front battle line of a fictional television show. I hope all the darkies in the show die now just to piss her off. 

Stupid cooze.  Yeah, the Dothraki on their horses should be in the back. Makes perfect tactical sense to me!!  Idiot. 

50 minutes ago, DonS said:

Stupid cooze.  Yeah, the Dothraki on their horses should be in the back. Makes perfect tactical sense to me!!  Idiot. 

Well to be fair the battle plan was stupid. You don't send a Cavalry charge at something you can't even see.

14 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Well to be fair the battle plan was stupid. You don't send a Cavalry charge at something you can't even see.

Yeah, their plan was dumb. They should have had the dothraki behind the castle. Once the dead are stuck behind the flaming trench, hit em in the flanks with the cavalry, push them into it And the unsullied. 

But if they had put them in the back, this cooze would say it was some Rosa parks sh!t. 

8 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, their plan was dumb. They should have had the dothraki behind the castle. Once the dead are stuck behind the flaming trench, hit em in the flanks with the cavalry, push them into it And the unsullied. 

But if they had put them in the back, this cooze would say it was some Rosa parks sh!t. 

You guys are all retarded. There were infinite dead, there was no beating that army. Every plan was a fail.

How about crushed up dragon glass all over the ground so they just walk up and die? Or fill the catapults with it? 

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

You guys are all retarded. There were infinite dead, there was no beating that army. Every plan was a fail.

Sure. But charging head on infinite dead is a particularly stupid way to go about it.

Hey, you do have a perfectly good castle right there. Maybe stay the fock in it and defend the walls? When they started yelling "man the walls!" People seemed surprised at such a notion. 

how fockin' big do you all think Winterfell is?

i mean, ferchrissakes, ya had 10,000 Dothraki, 20,000 Unsullied, roughly 5,000 more from the Northern Houses/Wildlings ... you're just gonna cram them all into the courtyard and up on the battlements?

plus ya had Sideshow Bob's "hair" eating up at least an acre of space, so ...

2 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

how fockin' big do you all think Winterfell is?

i mean, ferchrissakes, ya had 10,000 Dothraki, 20,000 Unsullied, roughly 5,000 more from the Northern Houses/Wildlings ... you're just gonna cram them all into the courtyard and up on the battlements?

plus ya had Sideshow Bob's "hair" eating up at least an acre of space, so ...

Fair point. But you would at least pick or construct some kind of ground which funnels them into a small area. Makes them easier to dragon, and nulifies the number.

Could have fallen back to moat cailin. Defend the causeway through the swamp.

Lure them into the wolfswood and burn the whole mother focker.

Whatever. But open pitched battle led off by a suicidal cavalry charge is dumb. 

20 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Fair point. But you would at least pick or construct some kind of ground which funnels them into a small area. Makes them easier to dragon, and nulifies the number.

Could have fallen back to moat cailin. Defend the causeway through the swamp.

Lure them into the wolfswood and burn the whole mother focker.

Whatever. But open pitched battle led off by a suicidal cavalry charge is dumb. 

to quote the great Bobby B: "NEVER engage the Dothraki in open space warfare!"

their suicide charge was another callback to season 1 ... we saw how much that came to fruition in the "Loot Train" battle, but, here, at Winterfell, they were always gonna be the sacrificial piece to go first ... much like the kids storming the beaches in Normandy and Anzio - someone had to pay the ultimate price to make whatever initial dent was possible. 

and it was spectacular seeing their scythes disappear into that wintery abyss ... aaaaand that's when it started to lose me - a melted face Jorah the Explorer and a handful of Dothraki stragglers come charging back - so essentially 10,000 warriors were just wiped the fock out ... really expected a TON of carnage would ensue ... and it did - but none of the big guns went down.  

Sam wrestling with at least a dozen wights, on a bed of corpses ... it seemed so hopeless that even his best mate, Snow, didn't even bother. 

yet Sam lives. 

Snow himself, in constant peril, surrounded by hundreds, with Viserys on his neck.

yet Snow lives. 

Dany in similar straits as Snow ... Jorah dies his dream death. 

yet Dany lives. 

and Brienne. and Jamie. Sansa, Arya, Bran, etc, etc

the price of vanquishing the Night King and his ENTIRE ARMY should've come at a steeper price than the lower tier (Jorah, Theon, Night's Watch Ed, Lady Mormont, Beric) five who perished.  (not including Melisandre because she was not a combatant).

this would have been the greatest TV episode of all-time if Arya died while killing the Night King ... and if the writers had the balls to up the ante on some of the other survivors.  

i hated losing little Lady Mormont ... loved that character, but the writers even admitted that she was never to appear again after her first episode, but they bought her back because she was a fan favorite ... that's some pandering sh1t, and it hearkens back to my rant earlier about this whole thing devolving i to a glorified Hollywood Blockbuster ... pure, unadulterated popcorn CHEEZ ... dreadful. 

it used to be about actions/consequence ... now it's no more than the formulaic pablum of set up/payoff. 

our heroes will now somehow take Cersei down, even though they lost all the Dothraki, pretty much all of the Unsullied, and one dragon.  

meanwhile, Cersei sits in King's Landing with the Lannister Army, the Gold Company, Euron's Iron Fleet, and Qyburn's Scorpions dotting her battlements (watch the title sequences for season 3, it's pointed right at Reagher the Black's dragon skull) .

yet, somehow ... someway ... our plucky lil' gang of fan favorites will emerge victorious.  fock this.  

i'm done with it.  

• Like 1

just watched last night.

to nitpick...

half hour of episode you could hardly see and had no clue what was going on

no main characters really died

someone needs to explain the night king and dead army more...why, how, purpose...can this happen again?

5 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

to quote the great Bobby B: "NEVER engage the Dothraki in open space warfare!"

their suicide charge was another callback to season 1 ... we saw how much that came to fruition in the "Loot Train" battle, but, here, at Winterfell, they were always gonna be the sacrificial piece to go first ... much like the kids storming the beaches in Normandy and Anzio - someone had to pay the ultimate price to make whatever initial dent was possible. 

and it was spectacular seeing their scythes disappear into that wintery abyss ... aaaaand that's when it started to lose me - a melted face Jorah the Explorer and a handful of Dothraki stragglers come charging back - so essentially 10,000 warriors were just wiped the fock out ... really expected a TON of carnage would ensue ... and it did - but none of the big guns went down.  

Sam wrestling with at least a dozen wights, on a bed of corpses ... it seemed so hopeless that even his best mate, Snow, didn't even bother. 

yet Sam lives. 

Snow himself, in constant peril, surrounded by hundreds, with Viserys on his neck.

yet Snow lives. 

Dany in similar straits as Snow ... Jorah dies his dream death. 

yet Dany lives. 

and Brienne. and Jamie. Sansa, Arya, Bran, etc, etc

the price of vanquishing the Night King and his ENTIRE ARMY should've come at a steeper price than the lower tier (Jorah, Theon, Night's Watch Ed, Lady Mormont, Beric) five who perished.  (not including Melisandre because she was not a combatant).

this would have been the greatest TV episode of all-time if Arya died while killing the Night King ... and if the writers had the balls to up the ante on some of the other survivors.  

i hated losing little Lady Mormont ... loved that character, but the writers even admitted that she was never to appear again after her first episode, but they bought her back because she was a fan favorite ... that's some pandering sh1t, and it hearkens back to my rant earlier about this whole thing devolving i to a glorified Hollywood Blockbuster ... pure, unadulterated popcorn CHEEZ ... dreadful. 

it used to be about actions/consequence ... now it's no more than the formulaic pablum of set up/payoff. 

our heroes will now somehow take Cersei down, even though they lost all the Dothraki, pretty much all of the Unsullied, and one dragon.  

meanwhile, Cersei sits in King's Landing with the Lannister Army, the Gold Company, Euron's Iron Fleet, and Qyburn's Scorpions dotting her battlements (watch the title sequences for season 3, it's pointed right at Reagher the Black's dragon skull) .

yet, somehow ... someway ... our plucky lil' gang of fan favorites will emerge victorious.  fock this.  

i'm done with it.  

Tell us how you really feel. :thumbsup:

I think the biggest reason show has become what you described is the fact that George R.R. Martin never got around to finishing the focking books. As a result it was up to the Hollywood types to continue the story and all they know is popcorn.

19 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

just watched last night.

to nitpick...

someone needs to explain the night king and dead army more...why, how, purpose...can this happen again?

Remember, when bran finally met the three eyed raven, he was told by the children of the forest that the night king was created by them to fight the invading humans.

Presumably, they realize that was a fock up and won't do it again. 

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Remember, when bran finally met the three eyed raven, he was told by the children of the forest that the night king was created by them to fight the invading humans.

hmmm. yeah now i do. have to go back and rewatch some seasons.

11 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

to further extrapolate, the CoF  eventually had to team with the first men to beat back the White Walkers/Army of the Dead (the "Others"), ergo necessitating Bran the Builder to erect the Wall, and for the Night's Watch to be born.  

2 hours ago, porkbutt said:

just watched last night.

to nitpick...

No main characters died?? Uh.... 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:34 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

What separates this show from super hero movies so much? They both heavily rely on fantasy

17 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

What separates this show from super hero movies so much? They both heavily rely on fantasy

There are too many superhero movies, and I can't imagine them being much different from each other. GOT is unique, and I don't think the storyline is reliant on the fantasy aspect.  It could stand  without it. Superhero movies couldn't.  The fantasy aspect of GOT is my least favorite part of it. The wall story would have been fine if its purpose was to keep out the wildings only, not the white walkers too. 

24 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

No main characters died?? Uh.... 

Not really main main. Theon? Melisandre? Kinda like secondary characters

Just now, dain11279 said:

Not really main main. Theon? Melisandre? Kinda like secondary characters

methinks he meant The Night King :dunno: