Sign in to follow this  
Brad GLuckman

Any hikers here?

13 hours ago, MDC said:

I always assumed you didn’t need anything for hiking other than hiking shoes and a water bottle. :dunno:

Here is a video of Jerry hiking the AZ trails

7 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

Here is a video of Jerry hiking the AZ trails

Holy carp how did you find this?  Also I could totally see Bill Walton supporting this.  :D

Last Thursday my hiking partner picked me up after work and we drove south, made it 470 miles to Temecula before calling it a night. Another hour and a half Friday morning and we were in Anza-Boreggo State Park where wildflowers are blooming like crazy. Then we did a few things Saturday in San Diego before heading home.

It was beautiful near Boreggo Springs, perfect temp for me, probably slightly on the warm side for most people.

Album

I’m pretty jealous of you guys who are serious hikers.  

I do only very casual hikes in the nearby state parks and sand dunes, but I’d love to do some overnight stuff.  

I don’t have any serious hiking gear. But after reading this thread, I’m thinking I should look into it.  

The one thing I wanna do with the wife and kids this summer is visit the Manitou islands.  

The Ferry drops you off and picks you up a few days later (if they can get to you) 

There’s no water or food on the islands at all. You pack it all in and out.  

Fishing is allowed.  Pretty primaries and secluded.  Sounds like a great time to me. 

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/the-manitou-islands.htm

On 3/26/2019 at 7:57 PM, vuduchile said:

I’m pretty jealous of you guys who are serious hikers.  

I do only very casual hikes in the nearby state parks and sand dunes, but I’d love to do some overnight stuff.  

I don’t have any serious hiking gear. But after reading this thread, I’m thinking I should look into it.  

The one thing I wanna do with the wife and kids this summer is visit the Manitou islands.  

The Ferry drops you off and picks you up a few days later (if they can get to you) 

There’s no water or food on the islands at all. You pack it all in and out.  

Fishing is allowed.  Pretty primaries and secluded.  Sounds like a great time to me. 

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/the-manitou-islands.htm

The trails by our house are pretty advanced (rated double black diamond bike trails, you'd have to be suicidal to actually bike them), with a lot of loose gravel as well, but they aren't overnight hikes, more like 1-3 hours depending on the loop you do.  So good hiking shoes are our most important equipment.  We like Altra trail runners, they carry various models at REI.

Actually, since we live in Phoenix, our water backpacks are probably most important.  Mine is Nathan, it works fine and I've never had another so...  :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The trails by our house are pretty advanced (rated double black diamond bike trails, you'd have to be suicidal to actually bike them), with a lot of loose gravel as well, but they aren't overnight hikes, more like 1-3 hours depending on the loop you do.  So good hiking shoes are our most important equipment.  We like Altra trail runners, they carry various models at REI.

Actually, since we live in Phoenix, our water backpacks are probably most important.  Mine is Nathan, it works fine and I've never had another so...  :thumbsup:

Yeah, we don’t do overnight hikes, either, but we’re lucky that we have so many options here in SoCal. We could probably hike a different trail every weekend, and not run out of options... 

We usually get up early on Sun mornings, so we can hit whatever trail we’re doing by 6-6:30am. Even when we did the 6 pack (excluding the 1 by Palm Springs) we’d usually get back home by 2-2:30pm. And that’s including traffic and a 1/2 hour lunch break.

Most important equipment:

Shoes

Hydration

Nutrition 

1 hour ago, OldMaid said:

Yeah, we don’t do overnight hikes, either, but we’re lucky that we have so many options here in SoCal. We could probably hike a different trail every weekend, and not run out of options... 

We usually get up early on Sun mornings, so we can hit whatever trail we’re doing by 6-6:30am. Even when we did the 6 pack (excluding the 1 by Palm Springs) we’d usually get back home by 2-2:30pm. And that’s including traffic and a 1/2 hour lunch break.

Most important equipment:

Shoes

Hydration

Nutrition 

You did the SoCal six pack (well, sounds like 5 pack)?  Cool.  :thumbsup:  I've got a book called "60 hikes within 60 miles of Phoenix" that I got over Christmas; we've been busy/lazy branching out from South Mountain here (wife just did a multi-week WW trip training people, daughter graduating in a few weeks, other various excuses).  We did hike Sunday and talked about how we need to expand out to other mountains.  We talked about heading up north, Sedona or Flagstaff area, later this summer and doing some longer hikes.  :cheers:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

You did the SoCal six pack (well, sounds like 5 pack)?  Cool.  :thumbsup:  I've got a book called "60 hikes within 60 miles of Phoenix" that I got over Christmas; we've been busy/lazy branching out from South Mountain here (wife just did a multi-week WW trip training people, daughter graduating in a few weeks, other various excuses).  We did hike Sunday and talked about how we need to expand out to other mountains.  We talked about heading up north, Sedona or Flagstaff area, later this summer and doing some longer hikes.  :cheers:

I guess I didn’t word that well enough. We did all 6, but the 1 by Palm Springs was a bit of a haul, and ended up a full day excursion.

You should do it. The longer hikes can be brutal, but they are SO rewarding. 

A few shots from a moderate hike near Mt. Saint Helena in Sonoma County: 

https://i.postimg.cc/x1K9nCNg/IMG-20190615-105244.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4yhKXGgG/IMG-20190615-105224.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/pr8DqzyK/IMG-20190615-110640-EFFECTS.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/g2BnLr2p/IMG-20190615-110640.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RCb88BhF/IMG-20190615-102432.jpg

Decent exercise, not arduous, but there was one downhill section on "widow maker" which me rethink ignoring names like that (I'm used to places called things like "hell hole canyon" being fine). Steep, narrow, slide inducing ground cover, cliff to the side. I was thinking whatever I do don't slide into my hiking partner (the only other option was to somehow stop the slide before reaching him) and it was necessary that he be in front because him sliding into me would be game over. I actually slid into him though which made me learn that really determining not to do something isn't fail safe. Fortunately he wedged himself well.

• Like 1