Sign in to follow this  
Nomad99

Gronk.....peace out!

Can't wait to see Gronk star in Expendables 6!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I just drafted him in my way too early draft best ball league. Lol

Who knows maybe he comes back mid-season if he is between movie shoots and wins you the league      lol

On 3/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, ralphster said:

You're right.  He was better than Ditka.

You don't know football. So you are forgiven.

Were you even alive/and/or old enough to watch Ditka play in his only Gronk-Like Season in 1961? Even when taking into consideration the 14 game schedule and modern rules its not close statistically. I am nowhere near old enough to have seen Ditka play, so I can't say for sure who was better, but don't think the majority of non-Bears and Pats fans would pick the Ditka side.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Were you even alive/and/or old enough to watch Ditka play in his only Gronk-Like Season in 1961? Even when taking into consideration the 14 game schedule and modern rules its not close statistically. I am nowhere near old enough to have seen Ditka play, so I can't say for sure who was better, but don't think the majority of non-Bears and Pats fans would pick the Ditka side.

I think you have to take different times into perspective. Ditka dominated the position in the NFL. I can't argue stats as this is a different day and age in football and for TEs, but Ditka was a monster at the position in terms of redefining what the TE position meant in the league. Gronkowski was a great but oft injured receiver that was a huge tackling dummy and he paid for it. I don't put Gronkowski down one bit, but Ditka revolutionized the position. He made the same amount of pro bowls as Gronkowski, averaged nearly 60 receptions a year with the Bears in the early 60's, and was far and away a better blocker than Gronkowski could ever be. 

I just look at the position as a whole, not just how many catches or TDs he has.

24 minutes ago, sderk said:

I think you have to take different times into perspective. Ditka dominated the position in the NFL. I can't argue stats as this is a different day and age in football and for TEs, but Ditka was a monster at the position in terms of redefining what the TE position meant in the league. Gronkowski was a great but oft injured receiver that was a huge tackling dummy and he paid for it. I don't put Gronkowski down one bit, but Ditka revolutionized the position. He made the same amount of pro bowls as Gronkowski, averaged nearly 60 receptions a year with the Bears in the early 60's, and was far and away a better blocker than Gronkowski could ever be. 

I just look at the position as a whole, not just how many catches or TDs he has.

That's fine, but I am more curious if you actually watched him play, or just basing it on what you've read and/or heard.

40 minutes ago, jrokh said:

That's fine, but I am more curious if you actually watched him play, or just basing it on what you've read and/or heard.

Nah. Haven't seen in person. Only watched videos of his game play and have taken in commentary of those involved in NFL history. I could be wrong, but from everything I have seen and heard, Ditka was a revolutionary at the position. Gronk is more a freak of nature but didn't contribute to any more than having mad ass skills as a huge target at the position. I think Ditka covered all bases. Just my take. 

Fair enough, I wouldn't take the side of a player I haven't seen versus one I have, but it's all subjective anyway. For the record though,  Gronk's blocking is generally described as superb, i.e. Not just a big target.

Foamy will defend his position, natch. As a bears fan I only saw Ditka the coach, his playing days were before I was born. For the record I love iron mike.

All that said, Gronk was reknowned for his blocking and was nigh uncoverable in his prime. He ran better routes, caught more passes, scored more TDs and fundamentally changed the way the TE position was defined by the league.

Ditka did the same 50+ years ago, but to say Gronk is no Ditka is to expose either your fandom or your ignorance.

4 minutes ago, ralphster said:

Foamy will defend his position, natch. As a bears fan I only saw Ditka the coach, his playing days were before I was born. For the record I love iron mike.

All that said, Gronk was reknowned for his blocking and was nigh uncoverable in his prime. He ran better routes, caught more passes, scored more TDs and fundamentally changed the way the TE position was defined by the league.

Ditka did the same 50+ years ago, but to say Gronk is no Ditka is to expose either your fandom or your ignorance.

Same comment from me as from "Foamy" I guess. 

You can dismiss Ditka all you want, but that is just your take. I guess we should delete all the HOFers pre 80s or something. Not sure your take on things and what you think is truly important. Maybe you can post it for us to be informed. Then I can know what the truth is about the NFL. Thanks in advance. 

I did not dismiss Ditka.  I disagreed with your stated opinion that Gronk was no Ditka and opined that Gronk was better.  You know, discussion an the like. On a ff bored.

Fockers just sold his pad in Boston, flipped it after two years and made 400k. It's good to be Gronk