Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Carbon offset fee/tax

While in airport there were signs how for $2 you can offset your carbon footprint from your flight.

Stupid question, but how exactly does paying money "offset" your carbon footprint?  Where does your money go, and how can you trust it will be used appropriately? 

• Like 1

They probably donate x% of your $2 to a green producer such as solar or wind. That company then captures energy and feeds the grid.

It doesn't actually replace your share of the burning jet fuel. But it makes it easier to sleep at night knowing you did your part.

I have over six acres, 2/3 of that are trees.  I have a negative carbon footprint on this world.  I'd be willing to sell some offset credits to you losers.  Bidding starts at $100,000's an acre.

I chose to not have kids. I can have a tire bonfire in my yard everyday for the rest of my life and still not come close to the negative impact on the environment as you guys that shat out more resource hogs. 

1 hour ago, lickin_starfish said:

This is the crux of the Global Warming ruse. It's all about a new way to tax people.

THIS + Control

37 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I chose to not have kids. I can have a tire bonfire in my yard everyday for the rest of my life and still not come close to the negative impact on the environment as you guys that shat out more resource hogs. 

:thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

You two ugly basturds couldn't get laid in an Asian massage parlor.   Didn't have kids by choice.  Who you trying to fool.  Fools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

You two ugly basturds couldn't get laid in an Asian massage parlor.   Didn't have kids by choice.  Who you trying to fool.  Fools.

:lol:

Why is it so hard for some people to accept that somebody would choose to not have kids? Didn't want 'em. It's that simple. There's more to life than shittin out offspring.  

I hate to break it to you but there's nothin special about any of your kids. They aren't going to grow up to be president or cure cancer or end world hunger. They're just going to be more self-absorbed asshoIes blocking the aisle with their shopping cart as they try to decide between Fruit Loops or Apple Jacks while a line of people wait for them to pull their head out of their ass and get out of the focking way. 

:cheers:

4 hours ago, 5-Points said:

This, plus I don't own a car, and live in a tiny apartment with no central air conditioning. I am certainly at the bottom of the list here in terms of energy used. Now I do fly a lot, so that does weigh in.

Agreed with the geeks that say this is about taxes, with one caveat. Carbon offsets are also about the central tenet of modern society... if you have enough money, nothing applies to you. You can do as you like, and cut a check to avoid any responsibility.

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

:lol:

Why is it so hard for some people to accept that somebody would choose to not have kids? Didn't want 'em. It's that simple. There's more to life than shittin out offspring.  

I hate to break it to you but there's nothin special about any of your kids. They aren't going to grow up to be president or cure cancer or end world hunger. They're just going to be more self-absorbed asshoIes blocking the aisle with their shopping cart as they try to decide between Fruit Loops or Apple Jacks while a line of people wait for them to pull their head out of their ass and get out of the focking way. 

:cheers:

This. I don't get the appeal at all. Kids are a massive time and money pit, as well as a source of constant stress, worry, and aggravation. Are there upsides, of course, there certainly are. But I would rather my life be my own. I can think of plenty of ways to use my time and money more productively.

5 hours ago, DonS said:

While in airport there were signs how for $2 you can offset your carbon footprint from your flight.

Stupid question, but how exactly does paying money "offset" your carbon footprint?  Where does your money go, and how can you trust it will be used appropriately? 

For $2, they give you a pair of disposable footies that fit around your shoes. That way you're not tracking any carbon onto the plane.

Seems like we're rapidly heading into the new thread category, so I won't expound herein. However, might I just say:

1) choosing to be a biological parent in today's age is almost the ultimate act of self-serving insecurity, narcissism, and selfishness.

2) note I said almost. The ultimate act of self-serving narcissism, insecurity, and selfishness are these couples who spend tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a child "of their own" through all sorts of perversions of reproductive biology.

3) Absolutely redolent of gobsmackingly dripping hypocrisy are those individuals from categories 1 and 2 above who steadfastly and ardently oppose the purchasing of (say) dogs from puppy mills and breeders. Because, quote, "there are so many wonderful dogs already out there who need love."

Think about it.

I can see an upcoming Democrat campaign platform: abortions to fight global warming!!! 

5 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

I have over six acres, 2/3 of that are trees.  I have a negative carbon footprint on this world.  I'd be willing to sell some offset credits to you losers.  Bidding starts at $100,000's an acre.

Sorry, but there is no concept of private land ownership in the new world proposed by Democrats.  As an evil person with money, you must give us those credits for free.

11 minutes ago, DonS said:

I can see an upcoming Democrat campaign platform: abortions to fight global warming!!! 

Well, it would cut down on the problem of farting babies.

Speaking of which, I think I shat a toddler the other day.

damn thing was so big, I had to cut it up with a coat hanger like a Puerto Rican midwife.

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

This. I don't get the appeal at all. Kids are a massive time and money pit, as well as a source of constant stress, worry, and aggravation. Are there upsides, of course, there certainly are. But I would rather my life be my own. I can think of plenty of ways to use my time and money more productively.

17 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

And we are still better than the "men" that live in Minnesota.  :banana: