Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Pass Interference Calls are now Reviewable

Sean Payton gets his wish. The owners agreed today to make all pass interference calls, including non-PI calls, reviewable. This will be one-year trial basis.

It was approved 31-1 with only "no" vote coming from the Bengals.

There was very little support for this across the league last week.  Must've been some big league arm twisting going on. 

Quite the can of worms they're opening here.

This is a terrible decision.  as a Canadian, they put in this rule in the CFL a couple years ago.   what happens is that teams save their challenges, and then late in the game do some long passes trying to draw the pass interference call and then they review.   the late part of games seem to take forever due to reviewed Pass interference calls.

it is a rule change that the CFL might be on the verge of changing back because it ended up not being popular with viewers.

I know lots were calling for this rule, I dont think it is a rule you guys truly want at the end of the day.

Like it, now let’s get it right. 

It should only be over turned if its clear, obvious, and egregious. I don't want this to be a hindsight 20/20 rule, where officials throwing flags after a review every time there's a bit of contact or slight pull on the jersey. The player should be tackled mid air, similar to the arcade game Blitz or what happened int he NFC championship game.

10 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

It should only be over turned if its clear, obvious, and egregious. I don't want this to be a hindsight 20/20 rule, where officials throwing flags after a review every time there's a bit of contact or slight pull on the jersey. The player should be tackled mid air, similar to the arcade game Blitz or what happened int he NFC championship game.

This I would agree with.  but that's not the way it played out in the CFL.     Maybe things will be different in the NFL.  Let's hope.....

Honestly, I dont think it should be coach's challenge.  Should be called from new york either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vern357 said:

Honestly, I dont think it should be coach's challenge.  Should be called from new york either way.

I agree 100%.  The rule change should allow home office to call in missed penalties instead of putting it in a coach's hands for a challenge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vern357 said:

20 minutes ago, ralphster said:

I agree 100%.  The rule change should allow home office to call in missed penalties instead of putting it in a coach's hands for a challenge.

Yup.

Leaving it up to the coaches is the way it should be   

the real issue I have with having penalties reviewable is really it kills the flow of the game.   especially late in the games.  

you will see.

I'm betting a year from now a lot of people wont like it.

45 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

the real issue I have with having penalties reviewable is really it kills the flow of the game.   especially late in the games.  

you will see.

I'm betting a year from now a lot of people wont like it.

I don't like it now. 

If it gets the play right, like the end of the Saints game last year I’m all for it. 

14 minutes ago, weepaws said:

If it gets the play right, like the end of the Saints game last year I’m all for it. 

I understand how a person who doesn't watch the games, doesn't see a down side to it. Game flow, may be an issue but using this to find petty penalties is my main concern. 

This may be an unpopular view, and I have done a 180 on it personally, but I say get rid of all replay. I'll live with the human error of referees. The game was better before replay existed. Now get off my lawn!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I see no problem in how the Aints got screwed.  Couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

47 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

I understand how a person who doesn't watch the games, doesn't see a down side to it. Game flow, may be an issue but using this to find petty penalties is my main concern. 

bingo.   That is also an issue.   The game flow thing is more of a side effect of the rule.

I second the vote for getting rid of replay, I’ve never liked the ideal. 

Let the ref, ref the game.  

But since it’s here and it will stay, if I watched the games live or not, and thankfully I don’t waste my time doing so, you really just need the game highlites, and regardless if I watched them live still I would still be in favor of getting the call right. 

But I also second the vote for no replay, and no games played outside of the USA.  

Reviews absolutely disrupt game flow. The NFL needs to focus on quickening the review pace. Someone outside the field of play should already know if a play should be overturned by the time a ref even gets to the replay booth. 

or they can have no coaches review,  and the replay officials can look at every play and flag for review when they feel a game changing call was missed.

rules of review:   it has to be flagged within 15 seconds of the end of the play.  at that point they have 1 minute to review and decide.   the ref has 30 more seconds to announce it and start the play clock for the next play.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, Ray_T said:

This is a terrible decision.  as a Canadian, they put in this rule in the CFL a couple years ago.   what happens is that teams save their challenges, and then late in the game do some long passes trying to draw the pass interference call and then they review.   the late part of games seem to take forever due to reviewed Pass interference calls.

it is a rule change that the CFL might be on the verge of changing back because it ended up not being popular with viewers.

I know lots were calling for this rule, I dont think it is a rule you guys truly want at the end of the day.

Nope, it’s a terrible idea.  The game is already bogged down with far too many stoppages, delays, commercial breaks, reviews and of course injury timeouts that seem to take forever because the entire medical community and a psychologist has to check the players over now.  It’s maddening how slooooooooow the game has become.  Replay SUCKS in every possible way.  I want it all to go away.  The league survived for, oh, about 80 years or whatever without it.  Game is almost unwatchable now as it is. 

As for Sean Payton, maybe he should have tried to put the Rams away when they had a chance MULTIPLE times during the game or tried to run the ball more.  That game was lost by the coaching staff.  Period.  One play doesn’t make a game.  Except of course for the tuck rule. ;)

honestly, I dont mind auto review on turnovers and scoring plays.   those are the plays most likely to make a difference.  its the other stuff I feel is unnecessary.

This is pure BS.   They're ruining football.   

1st - ya can't hit the QB in the head, then the legs, now anywhere or his wittle feelings will get hurt

2nd -  ya can't hit somebody when they catch the ball, ya gotta let them catch it and turn around

3rd -  let's review judgement calls??   

What's next, we going to review every play to see if an offensive lineman held?   

Why do I feel like this is some bs that THE worst commissioner in the history of the NFL shoved down everyone's throat??   

For the first time in a LONG time I am considering not getting into FF this year.  I also, don't know if I'll pay much attention to the NFL at all.  After all their political posturing, women raping/hitting, I'm just done with it all for the most part.   I just don't care.

36 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

This is pure BS.   They're ruining football.   

1st - ya can't hit the QB in the head, then the legs, now anywhere or his wittle feelings will get hurt

2nd -  ya can't hit somebody when they catch the ball, ya gotta let them catch it and turn around

3rd -  let's review judgement calls??   

What's next, we going to review every play to see if an offensive lineman held?   

Why do I feel like this is some bs that THE worst commissioner in the history of the NFL shoved down everyone's throat??   

For the first time in a LONG time I am considering not getting into FF this year.  I also, don't know if I'll pay much attention to the NFL at all.  After all their political posturing, women raping/hitting, I'm just done with it all for the most part.   I just don't care.

Agreed. 

This situation is what happens when you allow emotion, instead of common sense, to affect decision making.

Why review on or off the field? Let the play stand as called, adds to the entertainment. Who really cares how the players act off the field? Humans are . They do bad things. In all walks of life. If my stud Rb avoids a rape charge and gets me 100 yards and 2 td's that week, kudos. This is my entertainment.