Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Jordan Howard traded to Eagles

Recommended Posts

Howard still just 24 years old. Could be a good opportunity for Mike Davis in Chicago if the Bears don't add anymore RBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Good for both teams. Interesting. Watch the draft this year for the Bears. They have their sites on someone possibly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it keeps Howard value about same. Clearly the bears are drafting the future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I get why the Bears don't want him but a 6th rounder? What is he 25? Great move by the iggles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it shows what value a 2 down back gets in nfl who averages under 4 ypc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, murf74 said:

I think it shows what value a 2 down back gets in nfl who averages under 4 ypc. 

I think that ypc is more of a reflection on the blocking scheme than it is on him.  He was over 5 with Fox.  Even over 4 with Nagy 2 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Nagys system it does, in the previous system he was a pro-bowl caliber back. You are probably right though, no players being traded this offseason are getting a great return 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jrokh said:

In Nagys system it does, in the previous system he was a pro-bowl caliber back. You are probably right though, no players being traded this offseason are getting a great return 

We have seen guys come into the league tear it up and be fairly quiet the rest of their careers.

Howard is a big 2 down back.  There is a place for him but RB is already a dimr a dozen position.  Add in the fact he cant fo it all and he is even less valuable.

It isnt just a 6th in 2020 for Howard.  All these deals have salary cap implications.  Howard is making 1.4 mill more this year than last.  It id a cheap rent but it may be a rent no less.  Your value is what the market says it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, I just think the odds of drafting a RB in the 6th round who is comparable in production to Howard are remote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Maybe, I just think the odds of drafting a RB in the 6th round who is comparable in production to Howard are remote.

Howard is overrated it seems.  But you are right.  Doubtful. But not exactly rare.  Aaron Jones was drafted at the end of round 5.

But that isnt the game being played.  He was costing them 1.4 more this year than his minimal salary the previous 3 years.  

He wasnt exactly great last year and is replaceable. (They already signed Mike Davis who is just as good basically).  

They decided to get something for him instead of letting him be average this year at a high price and walk away next year.

It isnt like teams lined up for Howard.  If the league thought that was such a steal then id imagine they would have got more fot him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job overall by the Bears again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a 6th round pick, that’s a really good deal for the Eagles. 

He should be able to produce on early downs.

I would think that the bears go looking at a rb now. 

Hard to trust a career back up as the lead back. 

It’s getting harder in ff to find a rb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bears reddit is furious we got so little for him. I'm okay w the deal as we drafted him in the 5th and could get a 5th back so it evens out.

Really I think this was more the Bears doing Howard a solid than trying to get max value back.  He didn't fit our system but he didn't b!tch and was a team guy. I wish him well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Philly, Howard will produce like he did in his rookie season.  I think he can be a low end RB1/ high end RB2 - 10 to 14 range.  I can see 1500 total yards, 20 receptions and 10 total TD's as a realistic outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard just wasn't the right guy for the Bears and I hope he goes on to have a decent career, even if he has to be stuck in Philly. I honestly don't think someone would have been willing to give up anything more than a 5th or 6th. RBs of his caliber are fairly common in the league. Injuries usually dictate if this level of player is considered a decent back or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jrokh said:

Wow, I get why the Bears don't want him but a 6th rounder? What is he 25? Great move by the iggles 

yeah, there must be some reason why they let him go for nothing.   Maybe he's not great in the dressing room?

they should have done better than a 6th rounder.   That's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, weepaws said:

For a 6th round pick, that’s a really good deal for the Eagles. 

He should be able to produce on early downs.

I would think that the bears go looking at a rb now. 

Hard to trust a career back up as the lead back. 

It’s getting harder in ff to find a rb. 

this is a fantastic deal for the Eagles.   A starting Calibre RB for a 6th?   Man, If I was a GM I'd sign up for that all day if I actually had a need at RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, there must be some reason why they let him go for nothing.   Maybe he's not great in the dressing room?

they should have done better than a 6th rounder.   That's for sure.

What kind of  hall should a team expect for 3.7 yards per carry and 20 receptions over his past 16 games.:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft picks are so overvalued right now that smart teams should take advantage of the buyers market like the Eagles just did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the top 45 RBs in 2018, only 3 have a lower yards per rush than Howard. And his 20 receptions put him way up there with the likes of Alfred Blue, Chase Edmonds, Elijah McGuire, Trenton Cannon, Peyton Barber, but not quite up there with those top tier Damien Williams and Corey Clement studs.

🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t count on Howard producing stats similar to those he posted in his rookie season. 

The Eagles have other Rbs, and what we’ve seen from the Eagles coaching staff they sure  like rotating their  Rbs.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard is on a 1-year deal with the Eagles.  If he has a big year, that means someone will give him big money and that will help the Eagles get a better compensatory pick.  The Eagles have a very good OLine, a very good QB, very good pass catching corp, and a very good HC.  I see no way that the Eagles aren't winning many games in the 3rd Q and just pound the ball with Howard.  If he averages 4.5 ypc, behind that line - like I think he can, and gets 18 carries per game, that's a 1,300 yard season.  Even at 4.2, he's still at 1200 yards.

On top of that, the Eagles have consistently shown that they like to run the ball inside the 5.  With the offense they're likely to have, I can see many goal line carries for Howard.  They have other backs, but those other backs have proven that they are not as good as Howard as runners.  He'll play a small role in the passing game, but it should be on par as to what he did in his rookie season and maybe more.  I also believe that Howard has a good chance to be a top 5 TD guy (for RB's).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Howard is on a 1-year deal with the Eagles.  If he has a big year, that means someone will give him big money and that will help the Eagles get a better compensatory pick.  The Eagles have a very good OLine, a very good QB, very good pass catching corp, and a very good HC.  I see no way that the Eagles aren't winning many games in the 3rd Q and just pound the ball with Howard.  If he averages 4.5 ypc, behind that line - like I think he can, and gets 18 carries per game, that's a 1,300 yard season.  Even at 4.2, he's still at 1200 yards.

On top of that, the Eagles have consistently shown that they like to run the ball inside the 5.  With the offense they're likely to have, I can see many goal line carries for Howard.  They have other backs, but those other backs have proven that they are not as good as Howard as runners.  He'll play a small role in the passing game, but it should be on par as to what he did in his rookie season and maybe more.  I also believe that Howard has a good chance to be a top 5 TD guy (for RB's).

Better team generally means better RB stats.    The bears became extremely pass happy last year, so it was clear Howard was not being used to his best potential there.

In Philly, he will get all the goal line work he can handle, and when the team gets ahead and needs to kill the clock, they will pound the ball with him. 

I think he will be a top end RB2 with some RB1 potential depending on the matchup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sderk said:

What kind of  hall should a team expect for 3.7 yards per carry and 20 receptions over his past 16 games.:dunno:

dude, even if you are going to the draft to get a backup RB,  the 3rd to the 5th round is where you are looking to get them.

They got him for a 6th.     Even if they only use him as a backup they got fair market value for him.    If they use him as a part of a committee, they will make good on the return they get for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

dude, even if you are going to the draft to get a backup RB,  the 3rd to the 5th round is where you are looking to get them.

They got him for a 6th.     Even if they only use him as a backup they got fair market value for him.    If they use him as a part of a committee, they will make good on the return they get for him.

Yeah. And in rounds 3-5 you are hoping for a better back than Howard. I just don't know what teams would be giving up a 4 for Howard. The Bears didn't want him anymore. So instead of cutting him, they got a 6th. I'm a Bears fan and it doesn't bother me in the least. If I was a Philly fan, I wouldn't be all that excited with the deal. I don't wish Howard ill will, but I'm glad the Bears are moving on from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Better team generally means better RB stats.    The bears became extremely pass happy last year, so it was clear Howard was not being used to his best potential there.

In Philly, he will get all the goal line work he can handle, and when the team gets ahead and needs to kill the clock, they will pound the ball with him. 

I think he will be a top end RB2 with some RB1 potential depending on the matchup.

 

Agree on all accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sderk said:

Yeah. And in rounds 3-5 you are hoping for a better back than Howard. I just don't know what teams would be giving up a 4 for Howard. The Bears didn't want him anymore. So instead of cutting him, they got a 6th. I'm a Bears fan and it doesn't bother me in the least. If I was a Philly fan, I wouldn't be all that excited with the deal. I don't wish Howard ill will, but I'm glad the Bears are moving on from him.

I'm not sure your expectations are in line with reality.   If selecting a RB in rounds 3-4  you are hoping for someone who makes the team as a primary backup.  in rounds 4-6 maybe a secondary backup or gadget player.   

Howard is capable of starting.  what more do you want for a 6th round pick.   and to boot hes only a 2 million dollar cap hit.  so hes not costing the team a pile of cash.

If this guy gets 8 carries a game, hes more than paid back the return on investment.   If he gets 15+ carries a game, you've blown away all expectations.

I do not think they are giving him 2 Mil per year to play a bit role.   at the very least, he will get 8-10 carries a game, and unless he is hurt or suspended, that is likely his floor.

at the cost of a 6th round pick the only real risk here is the cash/cap hit, and even that is reasonable.

If Howard does not perform they will cut him.  no questions asked, and no problem and not a lot of dead cap space.  I'd say this is about as sweet a deal as you will find of its kind.

I truly do not think you will normally find a RB in round 3-5 that will do better than what Howard has done.    Is it possible?  sure.    Is it likely?  probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t see Howard being a rb1, at best I think he will be a low rb2.  

It’s not because of Howard, nor the Oline, but because of usage.  

I think the coaching staff likes to rotate their Rbs and will continue to do so.  

Hes going to be raked higher then he should be. 

Love him as a rb3, like his as a low rb2.  

Wont go any higher.  

To many other Rbs that the Eagles can and have proven they will use.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They got a pick and saved 2 mill in space by getting rid of a player that Nagy didnt like in his shotgun system.

I dont understand what some of you dont get.  I hate defending the Bears but come on.  Not that it was a bad move for the Eagles either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, listen2me 23 said:

They got a pick and saved 2 mill in space by getting rid of a player that Nagy didnt like in his shotgun system.

I dont understand what some of you dont get.  I hate defending the Bears but come on.  Not that it was a bad move for the Eagles either.  

there is no doubt Howard didnt fit the Bears system.   They will be very much a passing offense and Howard just doesnt catch enough passes to fit that system.   he will be better utilized in Philly.  There is no doubt of that.    To that end, I think philly got what they want.   The bears opened up 2 mil in cap space even if they got a bit less in return than they could have got elsewhere if they had taken their time.   But its not like they were gonna get a first or second round pick for him, so how terrible is it really for the bears?

I'm sure this was a cap space thing more than anything.   and perhaps howard was cheezed at his lack of use in the offense, so maybe they decided its better to ship him now before his dissatisfaction manifests itself in other ways.   if that's the case maybe its a good move for all parties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

there is no doubt Howard didnt fit the Bears system.   They will be very much a passing offense and Howard just doesnt catch enough passes to fit that system.   he will be better utilized in Philly.  There is no doubt of that.    To that end, I think philly got what they want.   The bears opened up 2 mil in cap space even if they got a bit less in return than they could have got elsewhere if they had taken their time.   But its not like they were gonna get a first or second round pick for him, so how terrible is it really for the bears?

I'm sure this was a cap space thing more than anything.   and perhaps howard was cheezed at his lack of use in the offense, so maybe they decided its better to ship him now before his dissatisfaction manifests itself in other ways.   if that's the case maybe its a good move for all parties

Do you think Howard was upset at lack of use?  I haven't heard anything about it but who knows? Thing is he got 250 carries last year and with only 3.7 yards per carry he didn't do himself any favors to demand more.  Dude was a 5th round pick himself I think. I'm glad the Bears got a draft pick at all rather than just a cut of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see how he could be upset about a lack of att. 

He had the sixth most att. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Barnwell of ESPN posits that if the Eagles play Howard a decent amount and he has a better year than last, The Eagles could then let him walk in FA and receive a higher compensatory pick than the one they gave up to get him. Is there a way the Giants could trade Gettelman for Howie Roseman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The deal rates as a win for general manager Ryan Pace, who began his roster makeover in 2015 with the trade of wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Jets for a fifth-round pick – the same return Pace could net from the Howard deal if certain trade conditions are met and the pick moves up a round. Not a rich bounty, but a same-round return for a player qualifies as a rarity in the NFL, although a third-day draft pick speaks to how the league values less-than-elite running backs.

Pace also unloads what would have been a $2.025 million salary for a projected backup and gains cap space for anticipated contract extensions (Leonard Floyd, Cody Whitehair) or late moves for veteran free agents. Howard becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season.

Word of the Bears’ receptiveness to dealing Howard first surfaced this time last year with the Bears and Miami Dolphins linked in back-channel exploratory talks involving then-Dolphin wide receiver Jarvis Landry. The Bears were later approached in-season about giving up Howard, but by that point were themselves on a playoff trajectory and held onto Howard, who finished with 935 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns.

Howard had put in extra work to improve his pass-catching before last season. But his overall production declined each of the last two years from his rookie season:

 

Year Rushing yards Yards per carry Receptions
2016 1,313 5.2 29
2017 1,122 4.1 23
2018 935 3.7 20

 

The Philadelphia landing spot for Howard is slightly curious only from the standpoint that the Eagles under coach Doug Pederson run an offense with similarities to that of Nagy and the Bears. No back has totaled more than Legarrette Blount’s 173 carries in any of Pederson’s three Philadelphia seasons.

Good move by the Bears all around. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-make-winning-deal-sending-jordan-howard-eagles-through-chicago-philly-pipeline

As for the Eagles, it's a head scratcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a head scratcher at all. You as a Bears Fan linking a Bears hometown viewpoint, aimed at Bears Fans makes perfect sense. The impartial analysts, those with no stake in the game recognize the brilliance of the move for the Eagles. That doesn't mean it was a bad move by Da Bears, just a far superior one for the iggles. HTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Not a head scratcher at all. You as a Bears Fan linking a Bears hometown viewpoint, aimed at Bears Fans makes perfect sense. The impartial analysts, those with no stake in the game recognize the brilliance of the move for the Eagles. That doesn't mean it was a bad move by Da Bears, just a far superior one for the iggles. HTH

 I guess you have a different definition of brilliant than I do. I don't call trading for one of the least efficient backs in the league brilliant. But I hope he succeeds. Helps the Bears more in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading for a player for a pittance that is better than what you have on the roster at the position and having a realistic possibility of receiving higher compensation than what you originally gave up shouldn't be brilliant. It should be what every GM tries to do, Nevertheless most don't so Roseman and the Iggles deserve the accolades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want my favorite team to try to win games during the regular season. Not to hope for some dream compensation at the end of the year. That's why I am happy the Bears unloaded a declining and inefficient running back and are going to address trying to find a better one. Their chances are good given that Howard did nothing special at all last year and he does not fit the Bears offensive system. Just like he doesn't fit the Eagles offensive system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will repeat, I don't blame the Bears, Howard obviously doesn't fit there anymore. It's not some unrealistic dream compensation as you put it. The Patriots have been doing it for years. But yeah you're right it obviously doesn't work. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Eagles get Howard and also gave up 5th but will get back a 4th round pick? What’s the downside?

 

Bears I thought we’re in win now mode. Bad trade for them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×