Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

* UPDATED: NFL Draft Profiles - TE Noah Fant

possibly. 

But I also read somewhere that some insiders feel this was done strategically.

The theory is that if AZ thinks they can trade down, they can only trade down so far if they think they still might get their man.

Also if Oakland actually wants a Defensive player, this makes teams think they have to trade into the top 3 to keep others from trading up and sitting below Oaklands slot.   

Basically if someone trades up for a QB Oakland is wanting them to trade into the top 3 so that the raiders get a better defensive player.  Not into spot 6 which does not benefit them.  If this is true, I'd expect the Raiders to meet with one or two of the other top QB's on the board and show some interest there as well.

and I'm sorry I have no link for that.

nice read.  thanks.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, Mike FF Today said:

WRs N'Keal Harry and D.K. Metcalf are up for review.

Nice writeups, MIke and Doug.   

I"m a bit skeptical of Metcalf.   Great size and  linear speed, but his limited route tree and  lack of agility are concerns.    He seems like the 2nd coming of Dorial Green-Beckham.   

10 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

Nice writeups, MIke and Doug.   

I"m a bit skeptical of Metcalf.   Great size and  linear speed, but his limited route tree and  lack of agility are concerns.    He seems like the 2nd coming of Dorial Green-Beckham.   

I have doubts on Metcalf as well.  And I dont mind the comparison on field.  But DGB had some character issues.  He has gotten in trouble with weed and booze several times in the last handful of years and never seemed to mature.   That may have gotten in his way as much as a lack of ability to play WR.

I feel like you have to be crazy to draft a guy with Metcalf's red flags in the first 15 picks or so, but some GM will find a dude who looks like a superhero and runs faster than DB's irresistible...

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I have doubts on Metcalf as well.  And I dont mind the comparison on field.  But DGB had some character issues.  He has gotten in trouble with weed and booze several times in the last handful of years and never seemed to mature.   That may have gotten in his way as much as a lack of ability to play WR.

Funny you mentioned DGB. I did have him listed as a low-end comp at one time, but I ultimately decided against him in part b/c he's nowhere as strong (27 bench reps to 13 for DGB) or explosive (11+ feet broad vs. sub-10 for DGB).

Either way, one of the reasons I like doing these profiles is b/c they force me to challenge the rankings of all the draft analysts. It appears most of them believe Harry or Metcalf are No. 1, but I sure don't see it that way.

11 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

Funny you mentioned DGB. I did have him listed as a low-end comp at one time, but I ultimately decided against him in part b/c he's nowhere as strong (27 bench reps to 13 for DGB) or explosive (11+ feet broad vs. sub-10 for DGB).

Either way, one of the reasons I like doing these profiles is b/c they force me to challenge the rankings of all the draft analysts. It appears most of them believe Harry or Metcalf are No. 1, but I sure don't see it that way.

Ive seen a few have Butler 1st.

I personally like AJ Brown even if his upside isnt as high as a few others.  I think he is the safest WR in the draft and a handful in the slot.  Not sure who to compare him to.  A thicker Jarvis Landry.  

Always interesting to see where the WRs go.  Some years they rise and reached some they totally fall as a group.   It isnt a real strong class but it is solid with a lot of different types of players.

based on how the scouting reports read, I'd be inclined to say Metcalf is likely a low end first rounder or high end second rounder. (most likely the latter)

but I have found that players with a high ceiling like him tend to be drafted sooner than they should be.   so based on that rationale, he will probably go in the middle of round 1.

58 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I personally like AJ Brown even if his upside isnt as high as a few others.  I think he is the safest WR in the draft and a handful in the slot.  Not sure who to compare him to.  A thicker Jarvis Landry.  

Always interesting to see where the WRs go.  Some years they rise and reached some they totally fall as a group.   It isnt a real strong class but it is solid with a lot of different types of players.

Brown reminds me a little of Anquan Boldin. Similar body type, good hands and that quality of being a gamer.

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Brown reminds me a little of Anquan Boldin. Similar body type, good hands and that quality of being a gamer.

You guys nailed it on the head, IMO. Just got done evaluating Brown, I strongly considered Jarvis Landry as a comp before settling on Boldin. And most definitely, I see a lot of WR2 and WR3 types so far in this class and none of the "alpha" WR1s.

Packers need a TE.  I just dont know the value with TE at 12.  30th I would be fine with but who knows if any of the top 3 guys would last that long.  Really like Hockenson but he would have to be taken at 12, if he is even there.

Packers need a TE.  I just dont know the value with TE at 12.  30th I would be fine with but who knows if any of the top 3 guys would last that long.  Really like Hockenson but he would have to be taken at 12, if he is even there.

Would not surprise me if the Pack passes at the position, although I do agree with you. Word has it that GB likes what it has in Robert Tonyan. With that said, I don't know how the Pack could pass on Hock if he's there at 12.

Would not surprise me if the Pack passes at the position, although I do agree with you. Word has it that GB likes what it has in Robert Tonyan. With that said, I don't know how the Pack could pass on Hock if he's there at 12.

That would be quite the assumption that Tonyan is the future.  He has raw skills.  Even in a down year with injuries he hardly saw the field.  Made a nice TD catch I remember.  Had a nixe preseason.

I hope they arent just banking on him and I highly doubt it.

Lafleur loves TEs.  Likes to use 2 TE sets.  Jimmy was terrible and slow last year.  That made it 2 years in a row they brought in an old, huge, slow TE that amounted to not much.  Jimmy is gone after next year.  TE takes some time to develop.  

TE is waaaaay more of a need than WR.  And I think Packers feel the same.  If they like a specidic WR i wouldnt be surprised if they took him at 30.  But I dont think they are pressed for a WR.  They already have youth size and some speed.  

I dont even know of Tonyan can block.  Jimmy cant.  It is no wonder they resigned Lewis who is basically another tackle.   And like 49 years old.

I know you are doing the fantasy-dynasty studs.  

But Jace Sternberger would be a nice one to do.  2nd rounder.  Sort of forgotten because of the top 3.   Pretty natural pass catcher.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

I know you are doing the fantasy-dynasty studs.  

But Jace Sternberger would be a nice one to do.  2nd rounder.  Sort of forgotten because of the top 3.   Pretty natural pass catcher.

I'll be doing a write-up on him (not a profile) before the draft. I know I like what I have seen from him.

If GB goes WR with one of their first 3 picks then Hollywood I think would be that guy.   They have other bases at WR covered a couple times over.  They are lacking and have seemingly alwayd lacked a real weapon who scares opposing DCs.   Brown would be that guy, where as the bigger WRs in this class would be another version of Allison, Adams, MVS, or ESB.  

If GB goes WR with one of their first 3 picks then Hollywood I think would be that guy.   They have other bases at WR covered a couple times over.  They are lacking and have seemingly alwayd lacked a real weapon who scares opposing DCs.   Brown would be that guy, where as the bigger WRs in this class would be another version of Allison, Adams, MVS, or ESB.  

I want to like Brown more than I do, but I really don't know how that guy is going to stay healthy for a full season. If he lands on GB, however, I'm sure he will be no lower than 1.03 on my rookie draft board.

4 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

I want to like Brown more than I do, but I really don't know how that guy is going to stay healthy for a full season. If he lands on GB, however, I'm sure he will be no lower than 1.03 on my rookie draft board.

It is a roll of the dice for sure.  I think bad hammys for speed WRs is worse than a small frame in todays game.  Desean Jackson has stayed fairly healthy.  

New piece here where Doug ranks the top rookie QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs. It includes writeups on Dwyane Haskins, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Justin Hill, Devine Ozigbo, Deebo Samuel, Andy Isabella and more. 👍