Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Revamped Nascar schedule for 2020

ESPN

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR made the first significant changes to its schedule in years by shuffling the 2020 season into a freshened sequence that tries to give the fans what they want to the best of its current ability.

The 2020 schedule released Tuesday moved the season finale to the Phoenix area, and iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway got July 5, which gives it back-to-back summer holiday weekends. Daytona gave up its traditional but often rain-wrecked July 4th weekend for the final race of the regular season, when the playoff field will be completed.

Pocono Raceway will run its two 400-mile races on back-to-back June afternoons, and Martinsville Speedway got a Mother's Day race under the lights as well as a slot in the playoffs -- one of three short tracks featured in NASCAR's 10-race playoffs. Even better for Martinsville, it got the penultimate race for the championship finale.

Bristol and Richmond short tracks both joined the playoffs, as did Darlington Raceway.

2020 NASCAR Schedule

DATE RACE/TRACK
Sunday, Feb. 9 The Clash
Thursday, Feb. 13 Duel at Daytona
Sunday, Feb. 16 Daytona 500
Sunday, Feb. 23 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 1 Auto Club Speedway
Sunday, March 8 ISM Raceway
Sunday, March 15 Atlanta Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 22 Homestead-Miami Speedway
Sunday, March 29 Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 5 Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 19 Richmond Raceway
Sunday, April 26 Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, May 3 Dover International Speedway
Saturday, May 9 Martinsville Speedway
Saturday, May 16 All-Star Race, Charlotte
Sunday, May 24 Charlotte Motor Speedway
Sunday, May 31 Kansas Speedway
Sunday, June 7 Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, June 14 Sonoma Raceway
Sunday, June 21 Chicagoland Speedway
Saturday, June 27 Pocono Raceway
Sunday, June 28 Pocono Raceway
Sunday, July 5 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Saturday, July 11 Kentucky Speedway
Sunday, July 19 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Sunday, Aug. 9 Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, Aug. 16 Watkins Glen International
Sunday, Aug. 23 Dover International Speedway
Saturday, Aug. 29 Daytona International Speedway
PLAYOFFS BEGIN
Sunday, Sept. 6 Darlington Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 12 Richmond Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 19 Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, Sept. 27 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 4 Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, Oct. 11 Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval
Sunday, Oct. 18 Kansas Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 25 Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 1 Martinsville Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 8 ISM Raceway

I love Martinsville, and Phoenix is pretty fun,  a little quirky of a track though, if I'm in charge, I'm not finishing the season with those two tracks though.   They produce great races, but I think you need to end the season at a more neutral track, say Vegas.   Surprised at how many 'specialty' tracks are in the final 10.   The winner truly will have to be well rounded for sure, but I think this order---amount of chaos some of these tracks cause---you are going to have a some champs who were more lucky than good.

Also, what the fock 800 miles of Pocono in one weekend!  

6 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Also, what the fock 800 miles of Pocono in one weekend!  

Yea...Pocono is not one of my favorites, either. 

11 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Any dirt tracks? 

No, not yet, Nascar is locked into contracts with the tracks through 2020, so they can't add new tracks until the 2021 schedule.   I would love to see Eldora Speedway on schedule, but I doubt Nascar would go to a place with only 30K seats.   But I agree a dirt track would be awesome.   

Still no Eldora or Iowa. 

No Mid Ohio or Canadian Tire.

No one wanted a double header at Pocono. 

The new horsepower package is the weakest NASCAR has rolled out since the 70s (Gen 3)

It continues to go in the wrong direction. Fock the France family. 

NASCAR will fold and the CARS Tour will become the new #1 stock car series by the end of this decade. Book it.

great thread.

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Still no Eldora or Iowa. 

No Mid Ohio or Canadian Tire.

No one wanted a double header at Pocono. 

The new horsepower package is the weakest NASCAR has rolled out since the 70s (Gen 3)

It continues to go in the wrong direction. Fock the France family. 

NASCAR will fold and the CARS Tour will become the new #1 stock car series by the end of this decade. Book it.

You didn't actually click the link and read the article, did you?

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

i didnt.

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah their hands are tied because of sponsors and track owners, but that’s their own fault. 

Bristol sucked today too what a terrible field of drivers.

I get off at the exit for Chicagoland speedway. Traffic is going to be a nightmare those days if I am still working there

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Yeah their hands are tied because of sponsors and track owners, but that’s their own fault. 

Bristol sucked today too what a terrible field of drivers.

Fock that. Bowyer was running up front all day goddammit!  :mad:

37 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Fock that. Bowyer was running up front all day goddammit!  :mad:

Not the vets, Bowyers one of my favorites.  All the new drivers suck. Austin Dillon, Suarez, x2 Byron, Wallace Almirola. Those guys suck. None of them raced their way to that series. Erik Jones and Larson are the only ones who earned their ride IMO.

24 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Not the vets, Bowyers one of my favorites.  All the new drivers suck. Austin Dillon, Suarez, x2 Byron, Wallace Almirola. Those guys suck. None of them raced their way to that series. Erik Jones and Larson are the only ones who earned their ride IMO.

Bowyer is my guy. :cheers:

I can't stand Austin "My Grand Daddy Is Richard Childress" Dillon. Fock him. 

I like Larson, he's a "local" kid from Elk Grove. I'd also throw Matt DiBenedetto in the mix of young guys that deserve to be there. He grew up across the road from my folks in Grass Valley. He's earned his stripes. 

43 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Chase Elliott?  Blaney?

14 minutes ago, sderk said:

Nascar... ☺

They just drive in circles, right? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Chase Elliott?  Blaney?

Elliott and Blaney can actually drive, that’s why I left them out. It’s not like Blaneys Dad was some hotshot who could just get him a ride for being who he is. They won plenty of local events before they ever got into cup. Their path was easier than some others though for sure. Dillon and those boys never won sh!t in late models or anything else. 

Suarez competed in NASCARS Mexico series before joining the Nationwide series here in the U.S.   He won a championship in that series before giving up to cup.  Not sure how you can say he didn't earn his way to the cup series.

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

Suarez competed in NASCARS Mexico series before joining the Nationwide series here in the U.S.   He won a championship in that series before giving up to cup.  Not sure how you can say he didn't earn his way to the cup series.

NASCAR Mexico isn’t sh!t. Lol. Can you even name a driver other than him that competes in the series? His family is super wealthy and they paid to play. Is he decent? Sure. But I can go find you 20 better late model or sprint car drivers that would smoke his ass just in the southeast. Go win a snowball derby or at Eldora in WoO. Those are the guys that should be competing in cup. Not rich road boys from Mexico. Didn’t we learn anything from Montoya and Ambrose? They just can’t do it. To different of a skill set. NASCAR doesn’t provide anywhere close to the quality of driver it use to. If you want to see good racing watch the CARS Tour or WoO Sprint Cars/LM’s. 

7 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

NASCAR Mexico isn’t sh!t. Lol. Can you even name a driver other than him that competes in the series? His family is super wealthy and they paid to play. Is he decent? Sure. But I can go find you 20 better late model or sprint car drivers that would smoke his ass just in the southeast. Go win a snowball derby or at Eldora in WoO. Those are the guys that should be competing in cup. Not rich road boys from Mexico. Didn’t we learn anything from Montoya and Ambrose? They just can’t do it. To different of a skill set. NASCAR doesn’t provide anywhere close to the quality of driver it use to. If you want to see good racing watch the CARS Tour or WoO Sprint Cars/LM’s. 

Wtf are you talking about?  He competed well in multiple USA series, including winning an Xfinity series title.  That's NASCARS 2nd highest series in case you weren't aware.  Where the fock do you think the next logical step in his career would be after having won the 2nd highest series you can win if not the cup series?

BTW you missed Menard.  Talk about a sorry excuse for a cup driver.  He literally drives a car with his family's name painted on it.  He's as bad as when Danica was in cup for the wrong reasons.

30 minutes ago, Strike said:

Wtf are you talking about?  He competed well in multiple USA series, including winning an Xfinity series title.  That's NASCARS 2nd highest series in case you weren't aware.  Where the fock do you think the next logical step in his career would be after having won the 2nd highest series you can win if not the cup series?

I’m talking about the talent in nascar taking a nose dive as they only select drivers based mainly on marketability rather than talent. 

Xfinity means sh!t. Go look at the recent champions. Reddick? Byron (he’s the trashest driver out there), Suarez, Stenhouse, Dillon? All those guys are terrible (Stenhouse was a pretty decent dirt driver though) in comparison to the 2000s and 1990s Busch champions. Champs are bought now in the series. 2000s: Biffle, Vickers, Edwards, Bowyer, Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick. Those guys DOMINATED at the local level before they ever got a NASCAR ride. NASCAR is the WWE of auto racing now. A lot of the younger guys never won anything meaningful at a local level. NASCAR Mexico? Real short track oval guys laugh at that joke series. They should be pulling talent from WoO, CARS and USAC not some road racer from Mexico because you can market him. That’s one of the many many reasons NASCAR sucks now days. Source? I raced for 16 years, I’m not someone who doesn’t know anything just running their mouth. 

yeah Menard is trash too and he won the Brickyard, which further proves my point. He would’ve never won a cup race in the 90s. Cars are way to easy to drive these days.

fun related fact: Jimmie Johnson 7-time Cup champ never won one Busch race and never finished in the top 5 in points.