Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Some of the greatest April Fools' pranks of all time

CNN Story

1. Pasta grows on trees

On April 1, 1957, the BBC TV show "Panorama" ran a segment about the Swiss spaghetti harvest enjoying a "bumper year" thanks to mild weather and the elimination of the spaghetti weevil. Many credulous Britons were taken in, and why not? The story was on television -- then a relatively new invention -- and Auntie Beeb would never lie, would it?

2. The fastest pitcher of all time

George Plimpton, always a wry writer, invented the tale of Mets pitcher Siddhartha "Sidd" Finch for Sports Illustrated. The story about Finch, who could throw 168 miles per hour, ran in the magazine's April 1, 1985, issue, and eagle-eyed readers caught on immediately: The first letters in the words of the story's secondary headline spelled out "Happy April Fools' Day." But others wondered whether the Mets had added another fireballer to their top-notch staff.

I remember that #2, my Mom told me about the first one, she thought it was the height of comedy.  :)

Not an April Fool's but my all time favorite is  Sum Ting Wong - We Tu Lo - Ho Lee Fuk - Bang Ding Ow :banana:

Late 80's NY radio station said Trump had bought the Yankees. Had a live report of them taking down the Yankee stadium sign and replacing it with Trump stadium.  

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Late 80's NY radio station said Trump had bought the Yankees. Had a live report of them taking down the Yankee stadium sign and replacing it with Trump stadium.  

Surprised they didn't start rioting in the Bronx.   :D 

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Surprised they didn't start rioting in the Bronx.   :D 

People were calling in. Some didn't mind Trump owning the team, but we're going nuts that he was putting his name on the stadium. Everyone hated Steinbrenner then. 

• Thanks 1

One of the local grocery stores in the area offered ketchup and mayo filled rolls and long johns  this morning. 

2 hours ago, joneo said:

Not an April Fool's but my all time favorite is  Sum Ting Wong - We Tu Lo - Ho Lee Fuk - Bang Ding Ow :banana:

Never gets old...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1